PDA

View Full Version : I am not Mark Madden

WindyCitySteel
07-24-2023, 06:53 AM
But man, getting convinced he reads this forum and steals my stuff :D.

https://triblive.com/sports/madden-monday-steelers-team-building-approach-only-good-enough-to-beat-lesser-nfl-teams/

Polamalubeast
07-24-2023, 07:13 AM
The next time that Madden will said somethings positive to the steelers will be the first time since a long time

I don't said he is always wrong,since this is not the case but I don't remember the last time he wrote anything positive about the steelers...he probably hates every steelers player right now

Joel Buchsbaum
07-24-2023, 07:17 AM
I disagree with Madden. Elandon Roberts and Cole Holcomb and better than Bush and Jack. I think Steeler fans will be plenty surprised with Roberts defending the run and Holcomb defending the pass. We upgraded here, cheaply BUT at market value. And of course there is Robinson who IMO has the physical ability be a very good run defender that can force fumbles and make some big hits. Dude is strong enough to be a silverback. And is built like James Harrison too.

The work is paying off on the field. Over the course of OTA and minicamp, Robinson displays his quickness and appears to be a step faster in his reaction as the practice reps increase with his maturity as a player. Robinson?s ability to recognize his position on the roster is dependent on him going the extra mile to secure a place on the team and gain more significant playing time as an inside linebacker.

I am excited.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/steelers-ilb-mark-robinson-poised-for-breakout-2023-season

Polamalubeast
07-24-2023, 07:32 AM
For the ILB position,this is a issues but this is a very weak position overall in the NFL,so the steelers are not alone.Their pass coverage will be likely a issues at this position but I think they will be fine against the run...They can't be worse that Bush who was just way too soft against the run since 2021 and he was not that good against the pass

NorthCoast
07-24-2023, 08:06 AM
I disagree with Madden. Elandon Roberts and Cole Holcomb and better than Bush and Jack. I think Steeler fans will be plenty surprised with Roberts defending the run and Holcomb defending the pass. We upgraded here, cheaply BUT at market value. And of course there is Robinson who IMO has the physical ability be a very good run defender that can force fumbles and make some big hits. Dude is strong enough to be a silverback. And is built like James Harrison too.

I am excited.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/steelers-ilb-mark-robinson-poised-for-breakout-2023-seasonPretty sure I posted a writeup on the NFL's devaluing of the ILB position. But I agree with you on last year's unit. In the last month of the season here's Jack and Bush's snap counts on defense;

Jack
Bush

Inactive
46%

30%
40%

12%
10%

24%
8%

I mean, how bad is that? If this year's corps can't improve on that then this defense is in a world of hurt.

Joel Buchsbaum
07-24-2023, 09:02 AM
Pretty sure I posted a writeup on the NFL's devaluing of the ILB position. But I agree with you on last year's unit. In the last month of the season here's Jack and Bush's snap counts on defense;

Jack
Bush

Inactive
46%

30%
40%

12%
10%

24%
8%

I mean, how bad is that? If this year's corps can't improve on that then this defense is in a world of hurt.

Those guys are gone. Bush might be out of the NFL next year. What do those numbers mean? So type of deployment for downs and the distance needed? On 3rd down and say 10, I would play neither man!

WindyCitySteel
07-24-2023, 09:18 AM
Robinson won't play this year, still way too raw. Roberts is a liability in coverage, Holcomb may be better but had a serious foot injury last year and was limited in OTAs.

NorthCoast
07-24-2023, 09:29 AM
Those guys are gone. Bush might be out of the NFL next year. What do those numbers mean? So type of deployment for downs and the distance needed? On 3rd down and say 10, I would play neither man!That's the point. ILBs weren't on the field. (In truth, Spillane was out there 100%. I like his heart but man he was limited.)

SteelerOfDeVille
07-24-2023, 10:10 AM
But man, getting convinced he reads this forum and steals my stuff :D.

https://triblive.com/sports/madden-monday-steelers-team-building-approach-only-good-enough-to-beat-lesser-nfl-teams/
They had a lot of holes. You can't fix it ALL in one offseason.

While I would love to have seen an agile ILB in the draft to compliment those guys, I honestly think the 3rd round pick of Washington is where that pick was supposed to happen and an ILB run hosed them. With the 3 picks before that, they chose BPA at a position of need (OT, CB, NT). As long as they stick with that as the methodology, the right positions will bubble up to the top and I'm really not sure what Madden's smoking.

I also think that ILB is becoming very similar to RB in that you don't want to pay insane amounts unless you *do* have a Shazier. So, getting a bargain as a stopgap until you can draft your guy is the right approach for the short-term.

Did he think they were going to build a Super Bowl contender in one offseason?

flippy
07-24-2023, 10:55 AM
I think Leal probably had a few snaps at ILB.

WindyCitySteel
07-24-2023, 10:59 AM
They had a lot of holes. You can't fix it ALL in one offseason.

While I would love to have seen an agile ILB in the draft to compliment those guys, I honestly think the 3rd round pick of Washington is where that pick was supposed to happen and an ILB run hosed them. With the 3 picks before that, they chose BPA at a position of need (OT, CB, NT). As long as they stick with that as the methodology, the right positions will bubble up to the top and I'm really not sure what Madden's smoking.

I also think that ILB is becoming very similar to RB in that you don't want to pay insane amounts unless you *do* have a Shazier. So, getting a bargain as a stopgap until you can draft your guy is the right approach for the short-term.

Did he think they were going to build a Super Bowl contender in one offseason?

Still holding out hope Herbig gets a shot -- they are depth at OLB.

SteelerOfDeVille
07-24-2023, 12:26 PM
Still holding out hope Herbig gets a shot -- they are depth at OLB.
My concern with Herbig is that wasn't he really a "motor" guy, not necessarily a fast guy? I feel like his ceiling would be another Holcomb.