PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Donald?

whisper
07-08-2023, 04:27 PM
And while we are at it, go for Pat McHomes, Derrick Henry and Sauce Gardner in NY. Might as well for as realistic as this is.

https://www.mahoningmatters.com/news/local/article277123413.html

The Man of Steel
07-08-2023, 04:48 PM
Probably not realistic but I’m sure that Aaron Donald would probably love to come back home again if he could.

Blitzer
07-08-2023, 05:27 PM
Pat Pete has. I personally thought that ship had sailed so I guess never say never

WindyCitySteel
07-08-2023, 05:27 PM
Rather have a legit ILB. That's going to be our achilles heel for the 7th year in a row, I'm afraid.

Blitzer
07-08-2023, 05:40 PM
Has it really been 7 years since Shazier was hurt? Man time flies

Steel Maniac
07-08-2023, 11:10 PM
Rather have a legit ILB. That's going to be our achilles heel for the 7th year in a row, I'm afraid.

The Jarvis Jones catastrophe has traumatized management from going linebacker with a first round pick.LOL. I"m being sarcastic.

hawaiiansteel
07-08-2023, 11:16 PM
Probably not realistic but I’m sure that Aaron Donald would probably love to come back home again if he could.

heads here on this message board would explode if we gave yet another huge contract to a defensive player.

Joel Buchsbaum
07-09-2023, 06:57 AM
heads here on this message board would explode if we gave yet another huge contract to a defensive player.

More like IF Tomlin gets another extension. NFW! That is old school New York lingo for No F'n Way

The good new is the GM and management of the cap appears to be better.

whisper
07-09-2023, 12:43 PM
Pat Pete has. I personally thought that ship had sailed so I guess never say never

Pat Pete is 33 years old and was trying to get the most he could get within reason for a 33 year-old CB. Donald is still gonna want all the $.

Northern_Blitz
07-09-2023, 01:15 PM
This kind of a move is for a team that is in "win now" mode who is comfortable burning the future (because they will be giving up lots of assets).

The Steelers aren't in win now mode, and I highly doubt the ownership would be interested in selling out the future for the present.

WindyCitySteel
07-09-2023, 02:11 PM
The Steelers aren't in win now mode, and I highly doubt the ownership would be interested in selling out the future for the present.

They should be with Kenny on a rookie deal and Cam and TJ getting older. By the time they're ready, those guys might be done.

whisper
07-09-2023, 02:16 PM
More like IF Tomlin get another extension

The good new is the GM and management of the cap appears to be better.

Yea, there's been a noticeable difference since Kahn took charge, with less Cool Shades "friend" coaching decisions being made, ala Watt being told to hit the bricks.

(Joel, I tried to reply to your PM but it said your box was full so I couldn't.)

Joel Buchsbaum
07-09-2023, 03:50 PM
Yea, there's been a noticeable difference since Kahn took charge, with less Cool Shades "friend" coaching decisions being made, ala Watt being told to hit the bricks.

(Joel, I tried to reply to your PM but it said your box was full so I couldn't.)

What can I say, I get lots of PM's. I cleared some space. Try is now. The Khan and Weidl team seems to be working well. Only major mistake I disagree with is Johnson's new contract which is Khan's specialty.

Northern_Blitz
07-09-2023, 04:30 PM
They should be with Kenny on a rookie deal and Cam and TJ getting older. By the time they're ready, those guys might be done.

We won't burn the future no matter what. We didn't even do it with Ben, so we won't do it on a roll of the dice when we don't know what we have at QB IMO.

Maybe next year things start to open up for us.

As you've said many, many times, can't win with just defense (at least it's a big longshot). We need the offense to get to at least average, hopefully more. Then we can think about trying to win championships.

whisper
07-09-2023, 05:54 PM
We won't burn the future no matter what. We didn't even do it with Ben, so we won't do it on a roll of the dice when we don't know what we have at QB IMO.

As you've said many, many times, can't win with just defense (at least it's a big longshot). We need the offense to get to at least average, hopefully more. Then we can think about trying to win championships.

Well, the O can't be considered even average with being 28th in TDs and putting up only 18 PPG, that is for sure.

pczach
07-09-2023, 06:02 PM

I agree. I don't think they mortgage the future for Donald. They are a young team on the rise, and I think they need to see what they have by giving them a chance to play.

The organization always plans for success. They put the pieces in place, but with so much turnover on the roster, a young QB, and a talented draft class with a bunch of young players that look like they'll have a chance to stick, I think there is legitimate optimism but realistic caution that everything may not come together quickly. The defense is the more talented side of the ball. They have several stars that are legitimately great players that should lead the way. As many here have said, it's very difficult to dominate defensively with the current rules, but if they can consistently play well they can give the team a chance to win every week.

As for the offense, much is going to depend on Pickett's development. I think they have enough talent to get some things done and score a reasonable amount of points. My concern has been Canada's offense and the design of many of the plays they run. Route combinations need to be changed to take advantage of what they're trying to do offensively. They clearly want to run the ball, so I would prefer they not run the majority of the routes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage as they have been the last few seasons. The slot WR and the TE's need to take advantage of the number of defenders in the box and the close proximity to the line of scrimmage and run routes to get behind the LB's and make the defense pay when they overplay the run. IMO they also need to take more shots down the field when they face man coverage, and attack the seam when facing cover 2 and the defense tries to take away both outside receivers getting deep.

I think with some adjustments to the scheme, some more creative play calling, more imaginative play design, and keeping defenses honest by running multiple plays out of the same formations and looks that they give can go a long way to opening up some things offensively.

I think they will score more points this season because Pickett will be better, and I think both running backs are going to find more room to operate. I'm trying to have faith that Canada can get some of this done. We shall see.