PDA

View Full Version : ESPN has Pgh as 19th most-talented roster

whisper
06-12-2023, 11:14 AM
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2023/06/12/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-roster-watt-minkah/?newsletter_origin=steelerswire.usatoday.com&newsletter_post_position=0&email=emailaddr

Well, I guess that's news to most Yinzers who have been crowing about how stacked this team is: "We have no more excuses, this team is stacked!" 19th out of 32....not even in the top half.

feltdizz
06-12-2023, 11:27 AM
Not sure if you realize what this means if you think the list is legit. :p

Oviedo
06-12-2023, 11:34 AM
Does anyone really care what ESPN thinks? Its like accepting Mel Kiper is a draft expert...he's not.

Could care less what ESPN thinks

whisper
06-12-2023, 11:39 AM

What teams ahead of them would you put behind them? I'm all ears.

feltdizz
06-12-2023, 11:53 AM
What teams ahead of them would you put behind them? I'm all ears.

I’m talking about expectations and criticism of the team based on the talent level of this ranking.

I don’t put much stock into these list but a quick peak I would put Pittsburgh 14 and Detroit 15 and push the Saints, Giants, etc under them.

but the actual point is everyone likes to compare Kenny and Purdy and this list has the 49ers talent inside the top 10.

I also think our draft added a lot of talent but of course we have no idea if it will all pan out but if the first 4 picks hit.. our roster is much better.

whisper
06-12-2023, 12:21 PM
I’m talking about expectations and criticism of the team based on the talent level of this ranking.

I don’t put much stock into these list but a quick peak I would put Pittsburgh 14 and Detroit 15 and push the Saints, Giants, etc under them.

but the actual point is everyone likes to compare Kenny and Purdy and this list has the 49ers talent inside the top 10.

I also think our draft added a lot of talent but of course we have no idea if it will all pan out but if the first 4 picks hit.. our roster is much better.

Detroit trumps our offense badly but we do the same to their D. It will come down to who fixed what the most by September. I'm not gonna argue much on NO or NY, both are overrated. Jones at QB has to be worse than Kenny, or we're in trouble.

SF is much more talented than us, period. Much of the so-called experts think they are the most talented team in the NFL, only a total flame out at QB kept them out of the Super Bowl.

SteelerOfDeVille
06-12-2023, 12:22 PM
From a simple perspective, wasn't the draft position ~17?

That means that 19 isn't a huge stretch. But in my mind, they did enough to improve and move up a couple of spots, not *down*

Mr.wizard
06-12-2023, 12:22 PM
Pittsburgh has the most talented roster in the NFL, they should be ranked #1.

Captain Lemming
06-12-2023, 12:44 PM
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2023/06/12/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-roster-watt-minkah/?newsletter_origin=steelerswire.usatoday.com&newsletter_post_position=0&email=emailaddr

Well, I guess that's news to most Yinzers who have been crowing about how stacked this team is: "We have no more excuses, this team is stacked!" 19th out of 32....not even in the top half.

I got no argument. What you fail to realize is that this is not new. Those teams that did not win in the playoffs had similar pre season expectations.

The last Steeler team with high preseason expectations was 2018 before Bell held out.

Save for 2017, during this entire NO PLAYOFF WIN run Steeler fan’s expectations were unreasonable considering the talent.

feltdizz
06-12-2023, 12:49 PM
Detroit trumps our offense badly but we do the same to their D. It will come down to who fixed what the most by September. I'm not gonna argue much on NO or NY, both are overrated. Jones at QB has to be worse than Kenny, or we're in trouble.

SF is much more talented than us, period. Much of the so-called experts think they are the most talented team in the NFL, only a total flame out at QB kept them out of the Super Bowl.

well this is why I think the Purdy hype is a bit much. He had an extremely
talented roster to work with. I don’t think his talent is the difference maker on that team.

whisper
06-12-2023, 12:56 PM
I got no argument. What you fail to realize is that this is not new. Those teams that did not win in the playoffs had similar pre season expectations.

The last Steeler team with high preseason expectations was 2017.

And we haven't won a playoff game in 6 years, so they have been pretty much been right on it with Pgh. 2017 was the last time we won a playoff game.

Captain Lemming
06-12-2023, 01:07 PM
And we haven't won a playoff game in 6 years, so they have been pretty much been right on it with Pgh. 2017 was the last time we won a playoff game.

No argument. I agree. Our biggest issues were draft and roster construction.

Hopefully that has changed with Khan as GM.

whisper
06-12-2023, 01:09 PM
No argument. I agree. Our biggest issues were draft and roster construction.

Hopefully that has changed with Khan as GM.

I'm actually optimistic over the new GM situation.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-12-2023, 02:01 PM

Not that I necessarily agree with the list but what would it mean if we do agree....

1) Colbert being gone is a good thing since he put together the roster.

2) The coaching staff gets more than its' share out of the limited talent that it has to work with.

feltdizz
06-12-2023, 02:24 PM
Not that I necessarily agree with the list but what would it mean if we do agree....

2) The coaching staff gets more than its' share out of the limited talent that it has to work with.

mostly 2 but yes, I agree.

Oviedo
06-12-2023, 03:07 PM

I think early indications are that Colbert may need to get more of the blame for the players he procured and the passive nature he went after free agents. To be fair, the lack of bold free agent moves was probably directly tied to Ben's contract size and the % of cap it took up

If Pickett actually turns out to be really good, Khan will have to deal with that problem in 4-5 years.

feltdizz
06-12-2023, 03:46 PM
I think early indications are that Colbert may need to get more of the blame for the players he procured and the passive nature he went after free agents. To be fair, the lack of bold free agent moves was probably directly tied to Ben's contract size and the % of cap it took up

If Pickett actually turns out to be really good, Khan will have to deal with that problem in 4-5 years.

I think trading Claypool was the biggest difference between Khan and Colbert. I doubt Colbert makes that trade.

I also think there wasn’t going to be a big push to upgrade the OL for an aging vet. Makes more sense to wait for the rookie QB to make those moves.