PDA

View Full Version : Austin torches Pat Peterson

whisper
06-04-2023, 10:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhO3uqqYiU4

Said he wasn't ready for those kind of jets. Here's hopin ' Austin can stay healthy this season. All 170 lbs of him.

Djfan
06-04-2023, 10:01 PM
He needs to be in a lot, and in ways the other defense can't anticipate well.

But, then there's Canada

Northern_Blitz
06-05-2023, 08:10 AM

But, then there's Canada

He looks like he could be an exciting player. With a different skillset than most of our WRs. And we need a returner.

I hope that he makes it to the regular seasons and that he can take the punishment playing in the NFL.

But I also think that small quick guys probably tend to look better than they are when they're out there playing touch football. Hoping he can continue to shine when the hitting starts.

SteelerOfDeVille
06-05-2023, 09:44 AM
funny how this past offseason, so many folks wanted a WR early... I hope this guy makes all those folks look silly (and quite a few DBs, too)

feltdizz
06-05-2023, 10:27 AM
funny how this past offseason, so many folks wanted a WR early... I hope this guy makes all those folks look silly (and quite a few DBs, too)

hope he can stay healthy and see the field. I was looking forward to seeing him last preseason before his injury.

and I was one of those people who wanted a WR early. The idea of him sounds great but we have yet to see a player his side ball out for us.

whisper
06-05-2023, 10:30 AM
hope he can stay healthy and see the field. I was looking forward to seeing him last preseason before his injury.

and I was one of those people who wanted a WR early. The idea of him sounds great but we have yet to see a player his side ball out for us.

It's anyone's guess if he can hold up once hitting starts. Odds are not in his favor, but he could buck the odds. We could use someone with his speed.

SteelerOfDeVille
06-05-2023, 10:55 AM
he's getting hit by DBs - and has played football for years.

I just don't get how one injury makes him a guy that who can't stay on the field...

whisper
06-05-2023, 10:59 AM

I just don't get how one injury makes him a guy that who can't stay on the field...

One injury? Him? Oh, that's not what makes him a long shot. Try about 40 years of guys being that small not being able to hack it in the NFL. Quick, list all the guys (non kickers) who weighed 170 who could handle NFL hitting? You're not gonna need a long piece of paper. It's a short list.

SteelerOfDeVille
06-05-2023, 11:24 AM
One injury? Him? Oh, that's not what makes him a long shot. Try about 40 years of guys being that small not being able to hack it in the NFL. Quick, list all the guys (non kickers) who weighed 170 who could handle NFL hitting? You're not gonna need a long piece of paper. It's a short list.
get me a list of guys who weighed 170 that were even drafted... of those guys, I would imagine their success rate is about the same as any other weight...

There are plenty of Desean Jacksons, TY HIltons and Marquise Browns, we just act like they don't exist... or choose to take their 30 year old weight to fit our narratives.

Tyreke Hill was only 180-ish... I see no reason the kid can't add 10 pounds of muscle (if he didn't already with a full season of NFL strength training)... would that make you feel better?

feltdizz
06-05-2023, 11:37 AM

I think his injury was non contact which is a concern.

Anytime a player misses a whole year for a non contact injury it makes me nervous.

I had high hopes for the small DB from Mississippi (Golson) who kept getting injured in camp and never played a down. Dude was a playmaker in college too.

SteelerOfDeVille
06-05-2023, 11:47 AM

Anytime a player misses a whole year for a non contact injury it makes me nervous.

I had high hopes for the small DB from Mississippi (Golson) who kept getting injured in camp and never played a down. Dude was a playmaker in college too.
Same on Golson.... but, that was him.

If it happens again, I'll join you on the "can't stay healthy" bandwagon - but, for now, I'm cautiously optimistic about seeing him in game... I'm kinda hoping he gets some time as a punt returner, TBH... those little Dante Hall/Devin Hester/Darren Sproles types seem to have a lot of success as return-men.

Steel Maniac
06-05-2023, 11:49 AM
get me a list of guys who weighed 170 that were even drafted... of those guys, I would imagine their success rate is about the same as any other weight...

There are plenty of Desean Jacksons, TY HIltons and Marquise Browns, we just act like they don't exist... or choose to take their 30 year old weight to fit our narratives.

Tyreke Hill was only 180-ish... I see no reason the kid can't add 10 pounds of muscle (if he didn't already with a full season of NFL strength training)... would that make you feel better?

All this will be resolved this year; And if he doesn't pan out, that will be on Colbert because this was his draft pick; Not Khan's.

SteelerOfDeVille
06-05-2023, 01:17 PM
All this will be resolved this year; And if he doesn't pan out, that will be on Colbert because this was his draft pick; Not Khan's.
Meh, he was a day 3 pick (4th rounder). Although the Steelers have had some success with mid-to-late round WR, he's not supposed to be a stud.

Moreover, I see a WR being drafted early in the next draft since both DJ and Allen Robinson expire after 2024.

hawaiiansteel
06-05-2023, 01:54 PM

But, then there's Canada

Canada will use Austin as a blocker on those TE screens to Gentry.

Steel Maniac
06-05-2023, 01:58 PM
Meh, he was a day 3 pick (4th rounder). Although the Steelers have had some success with mid-to-late round WR, he's not supposed to be a stud.

Moreover, I see a WR being drafted early in the next draft since both DJ and Allen Robinson expire after 2024.

I was thinking the same thing after the draft; definitely will add another WR through the draft next year. Third round probably. I wish they'd move DJ..I hate to see assets just walk and we get nothing in return. Giants still need WR's; I'd like to see Khan approach them in an attempt to move DJ.

feltdizz
06-05-2023, 01:59 PM

If it happens again, I'll join you on the "can't stay healthy" bandwagon - but, for now, I'm cautiously optimistic about seeing him in game... I'm kinda hoping he gets some time as a punt returner, TBH... those little Dante Hall/Devin Hester/Darren Sproles types seem to have a lot of success as return-men.

I’m not saying Austin is injury prone or can’t stay healthy..

just anxious and cautiously optimistic to see him actually suit up so I can see him in a game vs in shorts and a big padded helmet.

SteelerOfDeVille
06-05-2023, 03:07 PM
I was thinking the same thing after the draft; definitely will add another WR through the draft next year. Third round probably. I wish they'd move DJ..I hate to see assets just walk and we get nothing in return. Giants still need WR's; I'd like to see Khan approach them in an attempt to move DJ.
DJ is such an enigma. He is almost AB-like when it comes to size, speed, route-running. But, the drops and running backwards are painful to watch, especially on 3rd down.

Still, it's hard to trade him when Austin is an unknown and Allen hasn't had a good season since he and Tribusky were in Chicago together.

Basically, feeling comfortable trading him could depend on Austin's performance this fall (as well as Pickens growth). If you feel comfortable with those 2 as "the future", you have flexibility.

IMO, if they start stretching the field just a little, DJ could be a beast with ~15 yard routes. Those are short enough where route-running still matters, but not so far that strength and hand fighting will be a factor

SteelerOfDeVille
06-05-2023, 03:08 PM
I’m not saying Austin is injury prone or can’t stay healthy..

just anxious and cautiously optimistic to see him actually suit up so I can see him in a game vs in shorts and a big padded helmet.
SAME.. here's to hoping that he *does* stay healthy and we can all see it

Northern_Blitz
06-05-2023, 04:40 PM

I guess the encouraging thing about the Austin puff pieces is that there was at least some concern than the foot injury would cause loss of speed or agility. Hopefully football in shorts is showing that to not be the case?

Oviedo
06-05-2023, 05:10 PM

If you want to see KP make a jump in Year 2, you can't trade DJ as much as he drives me insane with his running backwards. Pickens is far from a star. Spectacular catches make highlights, but I'd rather him be an outstanding route runner who can always get open and make routine catches. I've always been an Austin fan but he also needs to show on the field. Robinson has to have a bounce back year and everyone else are just guys. I can absolutely see our TEs being the key to our offensive success.

Northern_Blitz
06-05-2023, 05:31 PM
If you want to see KP make a jump in Year 2, you can't trade DJ as much as he drives me insane with his running backwards. Pickens is far from a star. Spectacular catches make highlights, but I'd rather him be an outstanding route runner who can always get open and make routine catches. I've always been an Austin fan but he also needs to show on the field. Robinson has to have a bounce back year and everyone else are just guys. I can absolutely see our TEs being the key to our offensive success.

I think DJ is in a prove it year.

Something crazy happened with his avg YAC last season. If we get mid-season and it doesn't improve...then maybe trade him pre-deadline. Especially if we end up not in the hunt...which I don't expect (I think we'll be fighting for a WC spot up until the final week of the season).

Steel Maniac
06-05-2023, 05:32 PM

I get you; you feel DJ gives KP the best chance to succeed.

whisper
06-05-2023, 06:01 PM

Hester was 5-9, 190. That's a hellofalot bigger than Austin checking in at 170. Sproles also played at 190 lbs. Same deal, that's a whole hell of a lot bigger than 170. I hope I'm wrong, but 170 is very slight and almost unheard of in the NFL. They've been beating the hell out of Bryce Young for being so diminutive, and he's over 200 lbs. That's a full 30 lbs bigger than Austin.

whisper
06-05-2023, 06:11 PM

I wouldn't put Desean Jackson at the top the list of players who didn't have injury histories. His last 6 seasons included those where he only played 4, 8, 3 and 5 games. Not the brightest and shiniest picture of always being healthy. TY played weighing in the 180s.

whisper
06-05-2023, 06:12 PM

He ended up being a 2nd-round bustie boy. Never played a down.

NJ-STEELER
06-06-2023, 03:55 AM
Am I misremembering here ?

didnt golden first get hurt on a motor bike. After he was drafted but before camp?
And needed shoulder surgery for it

SteelerOfDeVille
06-06-2023, 09:53 AM
I wouldn't put Desean Jackson at the top the list of players who didn't have injury histories. His last 6 seasons included those where he only played 4, 8, 3 and 5 games. Not the brightest and shiniest picture of always being healthy. TY played weighing in the 180s.
So, we just went from "he's a long shot" to -- apparently, you wouldn't be happy if he gave you DeSean Jackson's career? And as support, you used the last 6 years for the 36 year old?

DJ is 5'10" and plays around 180 and no one cares. But apparently, if all his skills were the same, but his legs were an inch shorter (which would make him about 170) he'd lose his ability to run routes.... GTFO with that broken logic

feltdizz
06-06-2023, 10:00 AM
Am I misremembering here ?

didnt golden first get hurt on a motor bike. After he was drafted but before camp?
And needed shoulder surgery for it

I don’t remember a motorcycle but I know he never made it out of camp
to even play 1 preseason game for us.

whisper
06-06-2023, 11:55 AM
So, we just went from "he's a long shot" to -- apparently, you wouldn't be happy if he gave you DeSean Jackson's career? And as support, you used the last 6 years for the 36 year old?

DJ is 5'10" and plays around 180 and no one cares. But apparently, if all his skills were the same, but his legs were an inch shorter (which would make him about 170) he'd lose his ability to run routes.... GTFO with that broken logic

Check in with me on all the successful NFL players weighing 170. It's a short list.

Boom, shalackalacka boom.

SteelerOfDeVille
06-06-2023, 12:16 PM
Check in with me on all the successful NFL players weighing 170. It's a short list.

check in with me on players drafted that weigh 170 - then, we'll talk

whisper
06-06-2023, 12:46 PM
check in with me on players drafted that weigh 170 - then, we'll talk

Yea, you're just agreeing with me. They don't get drafted because they rarely work out.

NJ-STEELER
06-06-2023, 12:52 PM
2015 (Rookie Year): Injured labrum in shoulder, never practiced at training camp and was placed on injured reserve.

starting to ring a bell a bit.

he was being an idiot trying some tricks on his motorcycle and hurt his shoulder.

SteelerOfDeVille
06-06-2023, 12:55 PM
Yea, you're just agreeing with me. They don't get drafted because they rarely work out.
you're just agreeing with me... the success rate is the same as everyone else when they are actually drafted.