PDA

View Full Version : Mason had other teams interested

whisper
05-21-2023, 03:21 PM
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/21/pittsburgh-steelers-mason-rudolph-nfl/

Must not have been offering potential starter gig.

Captain Lemming
05-21-2023, 03:42 PM
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/21/pittsburgh-steelers-mason-rudolph-nfl/

I had seen that.

Not buying that one.
He ain’t coming back tail between legs to be 3rd string if he had real opportunities even to be a backup elsewhere.

Northern_Blitz
05-21-2023, 04:40 PM
I had seen that.

Not buying that one.
He ain’t coming back tail between legs to be 3rd string if he had real opportunities even to be a backup elsewhere.

The advantage for him coming here is that we could offer him more than the minimum and still have it have a minimum cap hit because he played for us for the last 4 years.

But seems clear that the extra money (I think something in the $109s of thousands) probably wouldn't have been worth the opportunity.

But worth noting that we didn't extend MT until after we signed Mason. Given his history, I wouldn't be surprised if we just used him as leverage to get a Mitch extension.

NorthCoast
05-21-2023, 05:14 PM
Hard time believing his 'opportunities' were great. But I will say the Steelers have one of the better #3 QBs in the league.

Steel Maniac
05-21-2023, 05:20 PM

That's just spin. That guy burned bridges when he left; so for him to come back he really didn't have any place to go.

Captain Lemming
05-21-2023, 07:35 PM
The advantage for him coming here is that we could offer him more than the minimum and still have it have a minimum cap hit because he played for us for the last 4 years.

But seems clear that the extra money (I think something in the $109s of thousands) probably wouldn't have been worth the opportunity.

But worth noting that we didn't extend MT until after we signed Mason. Given his history, I wouldn't be surprised if we just used him as leverage to get a Mitch extension.

Interesting point on the minimum part. Did not know that nuance. He might have been offered minimum but our minimum could be more money. Hmmm.

100 percent on that last part. My immediate thought when Mitch was reworked.

Poor Mason still being used as a pawn in a strategy that has no long term future for him.

Blitzer
05-21-2023, 07:39 PM
USFL? Arena?

Captain Lemming
05-21-2023, 07:56 PM
USFL? Arena?

We could use a QB at our Saturday flag football league.

Steel Maniac
05-21-2023, 08:03 PM
USFL? Arena?

Too much ego for him to go over there. There's an unwritten rule that if you go there from the NFL, your considered a bust among your piers.

WindyCitySteel
05-21-2023, 08:19 PM
What's the housing market like in Pittsburgh? Maybe he didn't want to take a bath, kids like their schools, etc. Sometimes it's about more than football.

NJ-STEELER
05-22-2023, 06:39 AM
What's the housing market like in Pittsburgh?

Not certain about good/bad neighborhoods, but I think it’s fairly reasonable.
mill see ads and then look around online for a bit. Sone decent looking ones under 200k.

I told my a friend of mine who has a son at Duquesne and another heading to Pitt he should buy a house there, have the sone find sone paying roommates. It might be cheaper then paying room and board at 2 colleges.

Northern_Blitz
05-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Interesting point on the minimum part. Did not know that nuance. He might have been offered minimum but our minimum could be more money. Hmmm.

100 percent on that last part. My immediate thought when Mitch was reworked.

Poor Mason still being used as a pawn in a strategy that has no long term future for him.

Dave at the Depot (although I only listen to the Podcast) gets kind of obsessed with these things. And that's where I heard about it.

I think it's new in the last CBA.

Edmunds (last season) was the first guy I ever heard getting one of these contracts. You have to have played on the team for the last 4 years I think. There may also be a total number of seasons played required, but my guess is that it's just 4 seasons. That way it incentivizes teams not to gut OK guys after their first contracts (if they were good enough to stick all 4 years of their rookie deal).

We gave one to Gentry this year after Edmunds left, but we only gave him half the total amount we were allowed to give. Thought it was weird at the time because it didn't seem like anyone else was able to get the benefit and I think we gave the whole thing to Edmunds last year.

Forgot that Mason was eligible. Probably because it seemed like there was not way he was coming back.

WindyCitySteel
05-24-2023, 07:35 PM
I had seen that.

Not buying that one.
He ain?t coming back tail between legs to be 3rd string if he had real opportunities even to be a backup elsewhere.

This. In fact, he's been told he's 3rd stringer with no competition to move up.

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/05/steelers-made-it-very-clear-to-mason-rudolph-he-was-qb-no-3-and-there-would-be-no-competition/