PDA

View Full Version : Leal: DE? OLB? Bust?

whisper
05-19-2023, 11:49 AM
What is the guy? After sending some here into a swoon, no one seems to know. None of his measurables really blow anyone away. What is the guy? A bust?

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2023/5/19/23726627/demarvin-leal-is-a-riddle-the-pittsburgh-steelers-must-solve-in-2023-nfl-news

I don't get the excitement. And we sure could use legit DL help around now. Another Colbert bust-oh-ramma?

Captain Lemming
05-19-2023, 12:10 PM
What is the guy? After sending some here into a swoon, no one seems to know. None of his measurables really blow anyone away. What is the guy? A bust?

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2023/5/19/23726627/demarvin-leal-is-a-riddle-the-pittsburgh-steelers-must-solve-in-2023-nfl-news

I don't get the excitement. And we sure could use legit DL help around now. Another Colbert bust-oh-ramma?

I must give you props man. Your ability to find creative ways to go glass half empty is IMPRESSIVE.

Rather than taking a moment to REJOICE that our draft began DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU BEGGED THE TEAM TO DO you even whine about THAT PICK because we cannot guarantee Jones a gold jacket just yet.

To your question? He is a lineman as long as we have depth at edge.

How good a lineman? Nobody knows how good he will be as has been the case for MOST sophomore linemen we draft.

Cam versus Ziggy rookie seasons? What did you see to inform you that one would bust and the other would be an AllPro?

Well we should have known Cam has the Cutesy daddy factor.

Rather than dwell on the negative, the fact that cutesy daddy pick did not fail should make you excited about the Porter pick. :)

whisper
05-19-2023, 12:25 PM
I must give you props man. Your ability to find creative ways to go glass half empty is IMPRESSIVE.

Rather than taking a moment to REJOICE that our draft began DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU BEGGED THE TEAM TO DO you even whine about THAT PICK because we cannot guarantee Jones a gold jacket just yet.

To your question? Nobody knows how good he will be as has been the case for MOST sophomore linemen we draft.

Cam versus Ziggy rookie seasons? What did you see to inform you that one would bust and the other would be an AllPro?

Well we should have known Cam has the Cutesy daddy factor.

Rather than dwell on the negative, the fact that cutesy daddy pick did not fail should make you excited about the Porter pick. :)

Your getting things confused. Cam isn't a "daddy" factor at all, he's strictly "cutsie brother" factor. Porter is the "cutsie daddy" factor. Both involve nepotism, a known Cool Shades over-play. But after his elaborate video explaining the value of adding brother picks, he oddly blew off a Watt brother and added an UDFA FB to the team. Odd. What happened to all the value of adding a brother? Weird.

But you, of course, blew off the main point of the OP: What is Leal? Is he a DE? A OLB? What? So many of you ballyhooed about after he was drafted, but now what? What has he shown? Should he gain weight? Lose weight? Can they decide? Is he another 3rd-round failed draft pick we can't afford? Another Kendrick Green?

Captain Lemming
05-19-2023, 12:46 PM
Your getting things confused. Cam isn't a "daddy" factor at all, he's strictly "cutsie brother" factor. Porter is the "cutsie daddy" factor. Both involve nepotism, a known Cool Shades over-play. But after his elaborate video explaining the value of adding brother picks, he oddly blew off a Watt brother and added an UDFA FB to the team. Odd. What happened to all the value of adding a brother? Weird.

But you, of course, blew off the main point of the OP: What is Leal? Is he a DE? A OLB? What? So many of you ballyhooed about after he was drafted, but now what? What has he shown? Should he gain weight? Lose weight? Can they decide? Is he another 3rd-round failed draft pick we can't afford? Another Kendrick Green?

I actually edited my original comment before you completed your reply to address your question more directly.

If short I see him as a lineman who we used as outside linebacker when we had no better options. I think it would be a mistake to keep him there in base 3/4.

To elaborate:
Say the rookie is NT.
I could see Leal getting snaps over Larry O against pass happy teams like the Bills or KC.

4/3 in passing downs? I think that is his best fit. Yeah, he could be an edge (4-3 defensive end) if Watt or Highsmith are out.

Situational backup today. Gain size rather than go smaller and see what happens.

I kinda anticipated your reply but was too late. My bad.

Blitzer
05-19-2023, 12:49 PM
Well he is a Steeler and Whiskers is talking about him. So Bust?

whisper
05-19-2023, 01:02 PM
Well he is a Steeler and Whiskers is talking about him. So Bust?

You're right on one front. Leal was supposedly the cat's meow when we drafted him. Now the yinzers have to bring up Cam's lateness in productivity in an attempt to soften the bust blow. I got news for all: Leal is no Cam. Never will be.

feltdizz
05-19-2023, 03:26 PM
I think he is a DE.

Its his second year… my goodness, bust already? Go outside and play dude.

Bittspurgh
05-19-2023, 03:38 PM

Debbie Downer, Negative Nancy, Doubting Thomas - Who are Relatives of Whisper; Alex for $100....... Go to a rub and tug bruh, ease your mind, just relax.

whisper
05-19-2023, 03:39 PM
I think he is a DE.

Its his second year… my goodness, bust already? Go outside and play dude.

Do you really not know where successful NFL players usually stand in their 2nd years typically? It's popular to bring up Troy Polamalu's late success as a Steeler. Do you know where he stood by his 2nd year? They weren't wondering what position to play him, I can promise you that. 97 tackles, 5 ints. They weren't still wondering what weight to play him at.

whisper
05-19-2023, 03:42 PM
Debbie Downer, Negative Nancy, Doubting Thomas - Who are Relatives of Whisper; Alex for $100....... Go to a rub and tug bruh, ease your mind, just relax.

"Look, mommy, the 'backup' has some discouraging words." "It's OK, Johnny. He has nothing else to contribute."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcm3P1McN1I

feltdizz
05-19-2023, 03:54 PM
Do you really not know where successful NFL players usually stand in their 2nd years typically? It's popular to bring up Troy Polamalu's late success as a Steeler. Do you know where he stood by his 2nd year? They weren't wondering what position to play him, I can promise you that. 97 tackles, 5 ints. They weren't still wondering what weight to play him at.

if Leal was drafting in the first round to play safety I would agree.

He was drafting as a tweener. Do you know what tweener means?

and you just listed Troy’s stats for his second season. Leal just finished his rookie year. After Troy’s rookie year some fools were calling him a bust.

Gotta have patience.. and no, I don’t expect Leal to be special like Troy which is why he wasn’t a first round pick.

whisper
05-19-2023, 04:01 PM

and you just listed Troy’s stats for his second season. Leal just finished his rookie year. After Troy’s rookie year some fools were calling him a bust.

Gotta have patience.. and no, I don’t expect Leal to be special like Troy which is why he wasn’t a first round pick.

Fair enough response.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-20-2023, 06:03 AM
Leal was a rookie last year and made 14 tackles and showed a knack for knocking down passes ( 3 ) in 11 games played. This is good production for the amount he played. He did not start. By no means was he a bust. He can make plays. We shall see how much he grown in year number 2

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LealDe00.htm

Northern_Blitz
05-20-2023, 06:27 AM
Leal was a rookie last year and made 14 tackles and showed a knack for knocking down passes ( 3 ) in 11 games played. This is good production for the amount he played. He did not start. By no means was he a bust. He can make plays. We shall see how much he grown in year number 2

Not bad for a guy that only played 175 snaps mostly playing a new position for him.

Hopefully he makes the 2nd year jump.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-20-2023, 06:31 AM

He not another Kendrick Green! That guy is a BUST. Leal is way better than 5th round pick DL Loudermilk. He is much better than 6th round pick Buggs is/was too . Those guys flat out did not make plays. Let get that straight. As a rookie he had a lot learn, but SHOWED the promise and ability to make plays when given the chance. He is a rotational peice for now, and a good one. Sort of like a nickle DB. IMO, he needs to work on run defense a bit. He is a DT, not your classic 5 technique player. More like a 3 technique player. Do you follow what I'm saying in terms of technique? No way he is an OLB. He is not a BUST . IMO he's is good depth player and may prove to be starting material.... .but at worst he is part of the rotation. I wish he was a little meaner and get of blocks a little quicker. The Steelers really play 2 defensive lineman at times with Watt and Highsmith playing end. Situational football changes on the given down and distance. No-- he shold not lose weight. If anything he needs to add a little muscle.

-JB

Joel Buchsbaum
05-20-2023, 06:35 AM
Not bad for a guy that only played 175 snaps mostly playing a new position for him.

+1. Right you are. Let's save the bust players for the players that make few plays. The improvement for year on two year two is often the biggest. Leal has some upside to be developed.

NorthCoast
05-20-2023, 07:07 AM

Gotta have patience.. and no, I don’t expect Leal to be special like Troy which is why he wasn’t a first round pick.:Clap:Clap

3rd round pick with 'developmental' opportunity..... but some can't wait for the development.

whisper
05-20-2023, 07:59 AM

What position will he be playing? Is he gonna lose or gain weight Who knows?

whisper
05-20-2023, 08:02 AM
He not another Kendrick Green! That guy is a BUST. Leal is way better than 5th round pick DL Loudermilk. He is much better than 6th round pick Buggs is/was too . Those guys flat out did not make plays. Let get that straight. As a rookie he had a lot learn, but SHOWED the promise and ability to make plays when given the chance. He is a rotational peice for now, and a good one. Sort of like a nickle DB. IMO, he needs to work on run defense a bit. He is a DT, not your classic 5 technique player. More like a 3 technique player. Do you follow what I'm saying in terms of technique? No way he is an OLB. He is not a BUST . IMO he's is good depth player and may prove to be starting material.... .but at worst he is part of the rotation. I wish he was a little meaner and get of blocks a little quicker. The Steelers really play 2 defensive lineman at times with Watt and Highsmith playing end. Situational football changes on the given down and distance. No-- he shold not lose weight. If anything he needs to add a little muscle.

-JB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNbBDrceCy8

whisper
05-20-2023, 08:33 AM

-JB

Opps, this piece agrees Leal is a big ?mark. Oopsie, poopsie, someone dropped the boopsie.

Blitzer
05-20-2023, 10:09 AM
It took Cam, Aaron Smith, Keisel, and several others a few years to get NFL ready. Give Leal some time before bringing up bust

whisper
05-20-2023, 12:30 PM
It took Cam, Aaron Smith, Keisel, and several others a few years to get NFL ready. Give Leal some time before bringing up bust

Those were in MUCH different eras, when LeBeau and company took years to develop players. Rooneys got rid of that model when they shipped Dick the hell out of here. It's no longer acceptable to take 3-4 years before a player produces. That's too long, new contracts are up by the time they get anything back in return. That dog don't hunt these days. Way too long.

Blitzer
05-20-2023, 04:11 PM
Those were in MUCH different eras, when LeBeau and company took years to develop players. Rooneys got rid of that model when they shipped Dick the hell out of here. It's no longer acceptable to take 3-4 years before a player produces. That's too long, new contracts are up by the time they get anything back in return. That dog don't hunt these days. Way too long.

yeah. lets cut him. you are right. And if Jones doesnt start week one. cut his ass also! Bust!

It takes a while for Dlineman and to a lesser extent Olinemen to get their bodies ready for what it takes to be successful in todays or yesterdays NFL.

Jordan Davis was picked top 15 last year. He did not blow it up. is he a bust?

Oviedo
05-20-2023, 07:20 PM
yeah. lets cut him. you are right. And if Jones doesnt start week one. cut his ass also! Bust!

It takes a while for Dlineman and to a lesser extent Olinemen to get their bodies ready for what it takes to be successful in todays or yesterdays NFL.

Don?t waste your effort trying to have an intelligent discussion with the troll. No one wants the team to fail more than he does so he can rationalize his pathological hatred of Tomlin.

whisper
05-20-2023, 07:23 PM

He better do something this year or he's in trouble.

Blitzer
05-20-2023, 07:27 PM
He better do something this year or he's in trouble.

maybe you should tell him that.

Javon Hargrave bust? did not do much his 1st few seasons.

whisper
05-20-2023, 07:42 PM
maybe you should tell him that.

Javon Hargrave bust? did not do much his 1st few seasons.

50+ tackles, 4 sacks.

Blitzer
05-20-2023, 07:53 PM
50+ tackles, 4 sacks.

that's it? why did we not cut him? Clearly bust. how did he do in years 3 and 4? 100+tackles 10+ sacks. Yep it takes a few years for most to really be NFL ready. thanks for the assist.

Buzz
05-20-2023, 08:21 PM
need to give him more time to see if he can find a place ... he clearly has talent

BUT

the concerns I had about him when we drafted him last year are STILL concerns ... I said, "He's a 'tweener'" -- and wondered where he fit
said it wasn't clear where or if he will be able to fill a role on this D

Maybe this season we will find out

Chadman
05-20-2023, 09:07 PM
Steelers play a lot of 2 DT packages at the moment. Heyward & Oganjobi had those spots locked in. The rest of the young guys played some rotational snaps to rest them. Leal was in the rotation.

Not sure what the point of questioning his future is based off of such a small sample size. The fact he got some gametime suggests he was doing something right.

His flexibility to play as a 4-3 DE means he can also sub out Watt/Highsmith in certain situations as well, so I'm sure that plays into his favour.

Will he be a long term starter & Pro Bowler? Maybe not. But if he gets game time & contributes to onfield success, he has a role.

For mine he's a lot less Cam & a lot more Larry. Benton will be Cam's successor if he fulfills his potential.

As for Loudermilk, Adams etc- they also play a role. Remembering the investment was not all that great in Loudermilk & Adams was brought in as a budget level FA, I think they contribute just fine. I'll be interested to see how Fehoko fits- probably at the expense of Adams. And Watts as well.

There's only so many snaps to share out. The DL is pretty well stocked for the role they play. If Leal gets on the field with any regularity, that'll tell you where the coaches feel he is at.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-21-2023, 04:37 AM
Steelers play a lot of 2 DT packages at the moment. Heyward & Oganjobi had those spots locked in. The rest of the young guys played some rotational snaps to rest them. Leal was in the rotation.

Not sure what the point of questioning his future is based off of such a small sample size. The fact he got some gametime suggests he was doing something right.

His flexibility to play as a 4-3 DE means he can also sub out Watt/Highsmith in certain situations as well, so I'm sure that plays into his favour.

Will he be a long term starter & Pro Bowler? Maybe not. But if he gets game time & contributes to onfield success, he has a role.

For mine he's a lot less Cam & a lot more Larry. Benton will be Cam's successor if he fulfills his potential.

As for Loudermilk, Adams etc- they also play a role. Remembering the investment was not all that great in Loudermilk & Adams was brought in as a budget level FA, I think they contribute just fine. I'll be interested to see how Fehoko fits- probably at the expense of Adams. And Watts as well.

There's only so many snaps to share out. The DL is pretty well stocked for the role they play. If Leal gets on the field with any regularity, that'll tell you where the coaches feel he is at.

+1 A very good post from of all places Australia. It must be hard ( time difference ) to watch the Steelers game where you live. Fans don't understand the Steelers play a lot of 2 DL sets, with our defensive ends being OLB's

Chadman
05-21-2023, 09:24 AM
+1 A very good post from of all places Australia. It must be hard ( time difference ) to watch the Steelers game where you live. Fans don't understand the Steelers play a lot of 2 DL sets, with our defensive ends being OLB's

You're right- it's tricky.

But streuth mate, as soon as I worked out how to ride my kangaroo past the billabong & into the big smoke, they hooked me up with this crazy contraption called 'interweb' or something- apparently it's like a spiderweb for nerds or something- and suddenly there was pictures & stories & all sorts of crazy things- right there on the big computer screen!

Have to say- Auntie Berryl still thinks technology is going too quick around here. I even heard they were thinking of building one of them fancy 'airports' the other day!!!

:)

Funny story- a couple of years back I was travelling around the UK & stopped in Cardiff. That night I went out & found, of all places, an Australian pub/bar in the middle of town. And when I went in & was served Fosters (which we literally cannot buy here, but go figure) as well as a prawn cocktail in a baked bean tin (yeah- I can't explain that one- pretty sure nowhere in the world understands what goes on down here) as I watched a Steelers game.

So I literally flew 28 hours to the other side of the world to find a pub from home to watch a game played in America.

I did take the waitress home though, so there's a happy ending...

hawaiiansteel
07-15-2023, 06:48 PM
Defensive tackle? Edge defender? DeMarvin Leal just a big athlete making impact with Steelers

Saturday, July 15, 2023

https://triblive.com/sports/defensive-tackle-edge-defender-demarvin-leal-big-athlete-making-impact-with-steelers/

pczach
07-15-2023, 07:08 PM
Defensive tackle? Edge defender? DeMarvin Leal just a big athlete making impact with Steelers

Saturday, July 15, 2023

https://triblive.com/sports/defensive-tackle-edge-defender-demarvin-leal-big-athlete-making-impact-with-steelers/

He's a freaky type of athlete for his size. He has shown that he is able to hold up physically along the DL, while being athletic enough to play OLB or ILB.

Many want to immediately say that any player without a position doesn't have one. I disagree. When you have a potential elite talent in an athlete, you find a way to use him wherever he can help the team.

Maybe his future with the team means he locks in at one position, but I don't think it necessarily needs to be that way. He has a pretty diverse skill set and could be part of sub packages or inserted into the lineup for certain matchups.

I like him as a player and think he has a chance to be a very good player for a long time.

whisper
07-15-2023, 07:29 PM
He's a freaky type of athlete for his size. He has shown that he is able to hold up physically along the DL, while being athletic enough to play OLB or ILB.

Many want to immediately say that any player without a position doesn't have one. I disagree. When you have a potential elite talent in an athlete, you find a way to use him wherever he can help the team.

Maybe his future with the team means he locks in at one position, but I don't think it necessarily needs to be that way. He has a pretty diverse skill set and could be part of sub packages or inserted into the lineup for certain matchups.

I like him as a player and think he has a chance to be a very good player for a long time.

https://www.nfl.com/players/demarvin-leal/stats/

You can glorify these stats however you wish, but they ain't shlt. Give them whatever flowery words you wish, but there's no production so far. Great he has potential, big whoop.

Blitzer
07-15-2023, 07:35 PM

You can glorify these stats however you wish, but they ain't shlt. Give them whatever flowery words you wish, but there's no production so far. Great he has potential, big whoop.

their are 31 other teams you can follow

pczach
07-15-2023, 07:54 PM

I didn't glorify anything. I didn't state a single stat of any kind. That's your link, and God only knows what you are trying to say.

I see you're back to just claiming people are saying things they did not. It seems to be a recurring theme with you.

I think he could be a good player.

I guess you don't???

We will see over time. Until such time, why do you act like you do?

I guess that's just your style.

Why do you always act like you want the Steelers to fail? I don't get it.

Captain Lemming
07-15-2023, 07:55 PM

Are you talking about rookie Troy, Cam H, or Leal? :)

pczach
07-15-2023, 07:59 PM
Are you talking about rookie Troy, Cam H, or Leal? :)

He seems to forget that every single Steeler ever that didn't start immediately and become a star instantly had to develop as a player, and put up very meager stats at the beginning of their careers.

It's how football works.

flippy
07-15-2023, 08:01 PM
If you go to camp this year, watch Leal.

His strength, size, speed stand out amongst the DL.

Guy has loads of potential. There?s a reason he got on the field in so many different spots.

pczach
07-15-2023, 08:08 PM

Guy has loads of potential. There?s a reason he got on the field in so many different spots.

Exactly. They didn't use him so much because he could't play. They used him precisely because he could play in so many different positions, and he helped them overcome injuries because he was able to step in and hold up physically at multiple positions on the field.

Just because you don't have big stats doesn't mean you aren't a productive player. He wouldn't be on the field if he was a liability.

He is only going to get better.

whisper
07-15-2023, 09:37 PM
Exactly. They didn't use him so much because he could't play. They used him precisely because he could play in so many different positions, and he helped them overcome injuries because he was able to step in and hold up physically at multiple positions on the field.

Just because you don't have big stats doesn't mean you aren't a productive player. He wouldn't be on the field if he was a liability.

He is only going to get better.

No stats = no production = all "potential" = zero.

Joel Buchsbaum
07-16-2023, 06:07 AM

+1 Keep talking. Yes, he stands out. What in your opinion is he good at?

pczach
07-16-2023, 07:39 AM

Maybe you should learn something about football. Everybody needs to do their job on every play. A player along the DL in a 3-4 defense may be doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing on a play by taking on one shoulder of an offensive lineman and controlling a gap. A player could be doing his exact job when put in the position of OLB while taking away the edge and forcing a running back to a different hole that plays to the defense's strength. Doing your job doesn't always mean getting stats.

The fact that you don't even understand that is what is so alarming. You are constantly coming at people here challenging them on every take, but you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Stop being so black and white about every issue discussed here. The more you do it, the more it exposes how little you understand about football, how it works, and what is happening on the field.

So you don't think he can play. Good for you. I guess everyone else on the team feels differently since he has seen the field a pretty good amount as a young player, particularly because they have him playing positions on the field he hasn't practiced or played in his entire football career until getting to the Steelers.

Let that sink in for a second and actually think about that.

Here are his stats:

You are going to bitch about his stats? He played in 11 games, started 2, 14 total tackles, 8 solo, 6 assisted, 1 tackle for loss, 3 passes defensed

So you are trashing this kid? A rookie getting playing time. Much of which isn't at a natural position for him. And you're crushing him? Ridiculous.

NorthCoast
07-16-2023, 08:25 AM
I know you it's part of your shtick to get people to reply but man.....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53049654179_9c4dcd8501_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2oPPkXZ)capture (https://flic.kr/p/2oPPkXZ) by R W (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/), on Flickr

whisper
07-16-2023, 10:21 AM
I know you it's part of your shtick to get people to reply but man.....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53049654179_9c4dcd8501_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2oPPkXZ)capture (https://flic.kr/p/2oPPkXZ) by R W (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/), on Flickr

Cam going back to 2011? You might as well go back to prehistoric days. A rookie playing in Dick Lebeau's days as DC? OOOOO, KKKKKKKKKK there, now. And his stats were still superior, 4 QBH to zero. Leal may turn out OK, but to tout him as an awesome player on 2022 results is beyond pathetic. SO he moved around but generated no stats. OOO KKKKK there.

whisper
07-16-2023, 10:33 AM
Maybe you should learn something about football. Everybody needs to do their job on every play. A player along the DL in a 3-4 defense may be doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing on a play by taking on one shoulder of an offensive lineman and controlling a gap. A player could be doing his exact job when put in the position of OLB while taking away the edge and forcing a running back to a different hole that plays to the defense's strength. Doing your job doesn't always mean getting stats.

The fact that you don't even understand that is what is so alarming. You are constantly coming at people here challenging them on every take, but you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Stop being so black and white about every issue discussed here. The more you do it, the more it exposes how little you understand about football, how it works, and what is happening on the field.

So you don't think he can play. Good for you. I guess everyone else on the team feels differently since he has seen the field a pretty good amount as a young player, particularly because they have him playing positions on the field he hasn't practiced or played in his entire football career until getting to the Steelers.

Let that sink in for a second and actually think about that.

Here are his stats:

You are going to bitch about his stats? He played in 11 games, started 2, 14 total tackles, 8 solo, 6 assisted, 1 tackle for loss, 3 passes defensed

So you are trashing this kid? A rookie getting playing time. Much of which isn't at a natural position for him. And you're crushing him? Ridiculous.

OK, using your "logic" Cam, TJ Watt and Fitzpatrick need nor have any stats to show production? They would be just as highly regarded sans stats of production, according to your above soliloquy? ROTMFFLMMFAO. NOT. That's just silliness. Next you will offer a palaver on how Najee's stats don't mean anything either.

Clang, clang, clang went the trolley, ding, ding, ding went the bell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln3sNwccHxI

pczach
07-16-2023, 10:46 AM
OK, using your "logic" Cam, TJ Watt and Fitzpatrick need nor have any stats to show production? They would be just as highly regarded sans stats of production, according to your above soliloquy? ROTMFFLMMFAO. NOT. That's just silliness. Next you will offer a palaver on how Najee's stats don't mean anything either.

Clang, clang, clang went the trolley, ding, ding, ding went the bell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln3sNwccHxI

He does have stats. He only started 2 games and is limited in how many snaps he had. Nobody is saying he's a superstar. Many of us see that he is capable, can be a good player, and is going to develop. Jesus man....get a grip.

What a revelation. you post another stupid video preluded by your dumbass saying.

It's like an announcement that you have no real information and you're just signing off. If only it were so.

A couple short paragraphs is a soliloquy? I guess it depends on the ability of the mind reading them.

Most people try to actually know something about football before they post about it, but I see you don't let that get in your way.

Oviedo
07-16-2023, 11:13 AM
He does have stats. He only started 2 games and is limited in how many snaps he had. Nobody is saying he's a superstar. Many of us see that he is capable, can be a good player, and is going to develop. Jesus man....get a grip.

What a revelation. you post another stupid video preluded by your dumbass saying.

It's like an announcement that you have no real information and you're just signing off. If only it were so.

A couple short paragraphs is a soliloquy? I guess it depends on the ability of the mind reading them.

Most people try to actually know something about football before they post about it, but I see you don't let that get in your way.
Don?t feed the troll. He hates this team because he hates the head coach. If you see a post from him, just assume it will be negative. It is a waste of time responding because he only repeats the same things over and over

NorthCoast
07-16-2023, 11:19 AM
Cam going back to 20011? You might as well go back to prehistoric days. A rookie playing in Dick Lebeau's days as DC? OOOOO, KKKKKKKKKK there, now. And his stats were still superior, 4 QBH to zero. Leal may turn out OK, but to tout him as an awesome player on 2022 results is beyond pathetic. SO he moved around but generated no stats. OOO KKKKK there.

Why would I use another year?Rookie to rookie on DL. And Leal had 3 passes defensed to Heyward's 1 so maybe hitting the QB wasn't his focus?
The point is that drawing conclusions from a few snaps played is a fool's errand.

whisper
07-16-2023, 11:29 AM

Oh, trust me, your blather turns a "couple of short paragraphs" into a soliloquy. Trust me. Trust me. Your Nonsensical talk turns once-logical minds into a refuge into the dark corridors of dementedness, where stats have no relevance on substance or reality. According to you, Pro Bowl players should 100% be chosen on likeability of player personality.

whisper
07-16-2023, 11:31 AM
Why would I use another year?Rookie to rookie on DL. And Leal had 3 passes defensed to Heyward's 1 so maybe hitting the QB wasn't his focus?
The point is that drawing conclusions from a few snaps played is a fool's errand.

If you can't grasp the relevancy of being a rookie while Lebeau was DC, there is no sense conversing with you. That is all. The rest get it.

pczach
07-16-2023, 11:32 AM
Oh, trust me, your blather turns a "couple of short paragraphs" into a soliloquy. Trust me. Trust me. Your Nonsensical talk turns once-logical minds into a refuge into the dark corridors of dementedness, where stats have no relevance on substance or reality. According to you, Pro Bowl players should 100% be chosen on likeability of player personality.

You accomplish all that on your own. No help necessary.

People here just mostly laugh at you. Munch on that lightweight.

pczach
07-16-2023, 11:33 AM
Don?t feed the troll. He hates this team because he hates the head coach. If you see a post from him, just assume it will be negative. It is a waste of time responding because he only repeats the same things over and over

That is completely true.

I'm new here and try to give everyone a chance, but it appears he's hopeless.

whisper
07-16-2023, 11:42 AM
You accomplish all that on your own. No help necessary.

People here just mostly laugh at you. Munch on that lightweight.

That's your comeback? I can't say I expected more from you; that's pretty much what was forecasted, "Mr. stats mean nothing." Your over-simplified thoughts are redundant and predictable. Into "Space Ghost" with your idiocy.

Born2Steel
07-16-2023, 04:26 PM
Leal has been used in multiple roles already. The fact that the coaches trust him to do that shows he has athleticism and football IQ. Let him get 2-3 years with NFL trainers and in the weight room and see what he will become. I have confidence Leal will be a consistent contributor for the defense.

NorthCoast
07-16-2023, 04:36 PM
Leal has been used in multiple roles already. The fact that the coaches trust him to do that shows he has athleticism and football IQ. Let him get 2-3 years with NFL trainers and in the weight room and see what he will become. I have confidence Leal will be a consistent contributor for the defense.

Nah. Apparently after 175 snaps some fans can tell he's a bust.

Steel Maniac
07-19-2023, 02:25 PM

I think Leal will be more of a contributor then most think. Our defense could be dominant provided our linebackers can do better in coverage if need be.

whisper
07-19-2023, 02:38 PM

You weren't around when the Yinzers in here were predicting greatness from Leal, like he was the next Aaron Smith or Cam Heyward. (Yes, several in here compared him to Cam.) Then, when he wasn't even good enough to secure a position on the D-line, many in here pronounced him extra fantastic for being moved to OLB. He must have excelled there to garner so much praise? No, he had a handful of tackles, that's it. He had 8 solo tackles for the year, but Yinzers already have his jacket ready for the Hall of Fame.

Chucktownsteeler
07-19-2023, 02:46 PM
Cam didn't develop until his third year or so. Way to early to consider Leal a bust.

whisper
07-19-2023, 03:53 PM
Cam didn't develop until his third year or so. Way to early to consider Leal a bust.

Maybe too early to consider him a bust, but definitely too early to consider him a great success, as some are already facilitating .

flippy
07-19-2023, 08:13 PM
You weren't around when the Yinzers in here were predicting greatness from Leal.

Not directly related to the thread, but I?m curious why a Steelers fan uses Yinzer in a derogatory way?

I always thought all Pittsburghers were yinzers. And all Steelers fans (even ones not from Pittsburgh) are Yinzers by association.

I get that you?re frustrated, but I always read this as you are talking bad about yourself for some reason.

whisper
07-19-2023, 08:29 PM
Not directly related to the thread, but I?m curious why a Steelers fan uses Yinzer in a derogatory way?

I always thought all Pittsburghers were yinzers. And all Steelers fans (even ones not from Pittsburgh) are Yinzers by association.

I get that you?re frustrated, but I always read this as you are talking bad about yourself for some reason.

The term "Yinzer" has morphed from something positive to something over-the-top. It used to just mean someone very "Pittburgese" but now represents someone who blindly supports the team, regardless of truth. Kind of morphed in a Browns fan, where every call is unfairly against their team and the NFL is "out to get them." I'm gonna guess my wardrobe is stock full of more Steelers' gear than yours but that doesn't mean I am going to transits into the kind of fan who thinks the team is perfect, regardless of reality and anyone who speaks critically of the team whatsoever is the enemy. You can be a Steelers' fan and still realize Tomlin is far from perfect.

feltdizz
07-19-2023, 09:55 PM

people who aren't from Pittsburgh use it as an insult.

Usually its a sign of jealousy for those who were born into this instead of "choosing" their team once they saw them win a few SB's... lol.

Funny thing, I'm born and raised but I never said yinz growing up and didn't think people said it as often as it's bragged about.

but when I go home I realize EVERYONE says it..lol. I don't even hear it half the time.

flippy
07-19-2023, 10:17 PM
The term "Yinzer" has morphed from something positive to something over-the-top. It used to just mean someone very "Pittburgese" but now represents someone who blindly supports the team, regardless of truth. King of morphed in a Browns fan, where every call is unfairly against their team and the NFL is "out to get them." I'm gonna guess my wardrobe is stock full of more Steelers' gear than yours but that doesn't mean I am going to transits into the kind of fan who thinks the team is perfect, regardless of reality and anyone who speaks critically of the team whatsoever is the enemy. You can be a Steelers' fan and still realize Tomlin is far from perfect.

All good by me and I have no doubt you?re a fanatic of fans. Why else would any of us be so obsessed?

I just didn?t realize yinzer was used that way by other yinzers.

flippy
07-19-2023, 10:19 PM
people who aren't from Pittsburgh use it as an insult.

Usually its a sign of jealousy for those who were born into this instead of "choosing" their team once they saw them win a few SB's... lol.

Funny thing, I'm born and raised but I never said yinz growing up and didn't think people said it as often as it's bragged about.

but when I go home I realize EVERYONE says it..lol. I don't even hear it half the time.

I kinda thought it was an insult from non pittsburghers like how non southerners think the southern drawl makes people sound stupid.

I never heard it either but now I notice it all since I’ve been gone for over half my life at this point.

whisper
07-20-2023, 11:37 AM
I kinda thought it was an insult from non pittsburghers like how non southerners think the southern drawl makes people sound stupid.

I never heard it either but now I notice it all since I’ve been gone for over half my life at this point.

"Yinzer" now reminds me of someone who stomps out of the room if there is a report that says someone in the NFL is a better coach than Tomlin, citing out loud that the world is obviously against the Steelers. Or if someone ranks Kenny last in the div. at QB. It's always because "the world is against us" not because their takes actually make lucid sense.

Oviedo
07-20-2023, 11:45 AM
More insights into the troubled mind of a sociopath

I proudly wear the moniker "yinzer" as a proud expression of my roots and the generations of my family who lived there

pczach
07-20-2023, 12:48 PM
"Yinzer" now reminds me of someone who stomps out of the room if there is a report that says someone in the NFL is a better coach than Tomlin, citing out loud that the world is obviously against the Steelers. Or if someone ranks Kenny last in the div. at QB. It's always because "the world is against us" not because their takes actually make lucid sense.

"Someone who stomps out of the room" pretty much describes you in every thread you post in if you hear one word you don't like.

You're the one that throws tantrums because you hate the coach, or because you think the running back isn't very good, or because they spend too much money of defense, etc... You are so upset that you believe certain things and not everyone in the universe agrees with you that you rant and rave, insult people, claim people said things that they didn't, and just plain old make stuff up to bolster your flawed and delusional takes on all things Steeler.

Insulting everyone here and mocking people you consider to be "Yinzers" in your warped mind only further convinces everyone that you don't know what you're talking about.

flippy
07-20-2023, 01:18 PM

Im guess you?re not from Pittsburgh because I?m sure no matter what we think about sports, most proudly think of themselves as yinzers around here.

I associate it with language more than sports personally. And some of the language hurts my ears a little since I?ve moved away.

But the people are mostly salt of the earth folks and simple. And I personally felt like we?re winning and I was vindicated when slippy made its way into the dictionary.

I still say a number of things that get me strange looks in the south but I?ve been in the south so long now that I have no longer have any Pittsburgh accent. Plus I say things like y?all now so there?s that.

whisper
07-20-2023, 01:39 PM
claim people said things that they didn't, and just plain old make stuff up to bolster your flawed and delusional takes on all things Steeler.

Already proven a lie, I quoted what you said and you just deny you said it. Too easy, moving on from the dilweed. Your sophomoric skills are just too easy to ridicule.

Northern_Blitz
07-20-2023, 02:42 PM

I never heard it either but now I notice it all since I?ve been gone for over half my life at this point.

My guess is that most people in the US have never heard the words yinz or yinzer and have no idea what they mean or where they come from.

I know I'm just a dumb Canadian (:p), but I would never know these words exist if I didn't read them on this board or the Trib.

flippy
07-20-2023, 08:34 PM
My guess is that most people in the US have never heard the words yinz or yinzer and have no idea what they mean or where they come from.

I know I'm just a dumb Canadian (:p), but I would never know these words exist if I didn't read them on this board or the Trib.

Yeah, with Pittsburgh being a relatively small city, I just thought no one would really care about the dialect unless you have a friend that says some weird words.

I am curious if there’s different regional dialects in Canada. I’ve only been able to pick up on the Newfies being different then the rest of Canada seems to have their own words.

I guess Qu?b?cois is a little different and the folks in New Brunswick and other provinces that have mixed languages are a little unique.

I just know little bits and pieces from a handful of Canadian friends and visits every now and then. I guess Canadian tv shows are more popular now too so we all get a little more insight. but I would guess the weird phrases are probably as know to as many people as the strange phrases in Yinzer.

feltdizz
07-20-2023, 11:44 PM
More insights into the troubled mind of a sociopath

I proudly wear the moniker "yinzer" as a proud expression of my roots and the generations of my family who lived there

dude just made up a new definition to troll Steeler fans. Talk about weird.

Northern_Blitz
07-21-2023, 07:34 AM
Yeah, with Pittsburgh being a relatively small city, I just thought no one would really care about the dialect unless you have a friend that says some weird words.

I am curious if there’s different regional dialects in Canada. I’ve only been able to pick up on the Newfies being different then the rest of Canada seems to have their own words.

I guess Qu?b?cois is a little different and the folks in New Brunswick and other provinces that have mixed languages are a little unique.

I just know little bits and pieces from a handful of Canadian friends and visits every now and then. I guess Canadian tv shows are more popular now too so we all get a little more insight. but I would guess the weird phrases are probably as know to as many people as the strange phrases in Yinzer.

I think there are differences across Canada, but we tend not to see them all that much. I think you're right that people in the east and Quebec are the most distinct. Friends of mine from Vancouver and Edmonton don't sound much different than people I grew up with around Toronto.

feltdizz
07-21-2023, 09:05 AM

The only way you know this stuff is if you know people from the area or follow Pittsburgh teams or watch the travel channel and are into things like city culture.

When I lived in Kentucky I used to go to Cincinnati to feel alive and that’s when I found out about chili on spaghetti and Who Dey or whatever the hell they say. Always had a good time in Cincinnati because I wore Steeler gear. Made for some great ribbing and was an easy way to meet people.

Not sure if its something everyone does but our family ALWAYS rocks Steeler gear when we travel.

Buzz
02-21-2024, 10:52 AM
https://steelersdepot.com/2024/02/fittipaldo-demavin-leal-showed-up-to-training-camp-out-of-shape-doesnt-seem-to-have-urgency-to-develop/

Leal looking more and more like a bust at this point

Chucktownsteeler
02-21-2024, 11:00 AM
https://steelersdepot.com/2024/02/fittipaldo-demavin-leal-showed-up-to-training-camp-out-of-shape-doesnt-seem-to-have-urgency-to-develop/

If no improvements this camp probably should cut bait.

Ghost
02-21-2024, 12:06 PM

It is unfathomable to me to come into camp, year 2, out of shape. If that is true, and it happens again, I would cut him immediately.

hawaiiansteel
02-21-2024, 02:05 PM

FIRE Colbert!

but seriously, we need to stay away from these tweeners and projections.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-21-2024, 02:42 PM
FIRE Colbert!

but seriously, we need to stay away from these tweeners and projections.
The problem overall isn't talent. Or even that he's a tweener. It's that Leal doesn't seem to have a commitment to his craft.

Sharing a profile I'm sure that I read at the time.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2022/2/8/22920841/2022-steelers-nfl-draft-big-board-rankings-defensive-linemen-jordan-davis-devonte-wyatt-jones-mathis

2. DeMarvin Leal | Texas A&M (https://www.goodbullhunting.com) | 6?-4?, 290 lbs

Andrew?s Overall Ranking: 29
2021 Stats: GP 11,T 58,TFL 12.5, Sacks 8.5, PD 2.

Ryland B.: I can see the hype surrounding Leal?s play but I still have some concerns. He has a great combination of size and athleticism, and plays with good strength and power. But despite being a natural fit on the inside, he was used as an edge rusher in 2021, which showcased Leal?s versatility but may postpone his development as an interior defender. His athleticism was evident on the outside, but Leal lacks the requisite burst and bend necessary to play the position at the NFL. He also seems to play a bit high which may result in him losing the leverage battle at first in the pros. Despite some issues regarding his technique and position, Leal has plenty of football smarts. As already mentioned, he?s a versatile player, but also a sure tackler who is extremely effective and disciplined against the run. His pass-rush isn?t on the same level, but Leal plays with choppy hands and a good motor. In the end, Leal is a certain first round prospect who may be a bit of a project, but he has elite upside as a defensive lineman.

This profile reads like a typical 34 DL coming out of college. Solid against the run. Not a great pass rusher. Needs some technique refinement.

I recall that I saw a 1-2 year "bulk up" project, which is nothing for a guy with the commitment to the weight room (and his craft) - and he had time to do that because Cam had at least 1-2 years left at that time.

IMO, it's that lack of commitment that's the problem.

feltdizz
02-21-2024, 05:09 PM
The problem overall isn't talent. Or even that he's a tweener. It's that Leal doesn't seem to have a commitment to his craft.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2022/2/8/22920841/2022-steelers-nfl-draft-big-board-rankings-defensive-linemen-jordan-davis-devonte-wyatt-jones-mathis

This profile reads like a typical 34 DL coming out of college. Solid against the run. Not a great pass rusher. Needs some technique refinement.

I recall that I saw a 1-2 year "bulk up" project, which is nothing for a guy with the commitment to the weight room (and his craft) - and he had time to do that because Cam had at least 1-2 years left at that time.

Ask a guy to bulk up and next thing you know he is Big Snacking in the offseason.

NorthCoast
02-21-2024, 08:05 PM

Wasn't there a similar story about Dotson coming in out of shape? Leal is gonna find the fastest way to Tomlin's doghouse.

Joel Buchsbaum
02-23-2024, 10:43 AM

He was a 3rd round pick. Not a bust like center / guard K. Greene. Now he was a bust. Leal is a player who when healthy can add a bit to the rotation. But IMO he is not big and strong enough to be in our base defense of Nickel, dime, and 4-3 in most formations. As a pass rusher he is a fair back up player.

As such he is a 5th our 6th DL player. The Steelers usually keep six. He is also cheap on the cap. I expect him to be replaced by a younger DL player when his contract is up.

-JB

feltdizz
02-23-2024, 12:08 PM
Wasn't there a similar story about Dotson coming in out of shape? Leal is gonna find the fastest way to Tomlin's doghouse.

Watch Leal flourish once he is in a 4-3 for another team. :o

feltdizz
02-23-2024, 12:11 PM
He was a 3rd round pick. Not a bust like center / guard K. Greene. Now he was a bust. Leal is a player who when healthy can add a bit to the rotation. But IMO he is not big and strong enough to be in our base defense of Nickel, dime, and 4-3 in most formations. As a pass rusher he is a fair back up player.

As such he is a 5th our 6th DL player. The Steelers usually keep six. He is also cheap on the cap. I expect him to be replaced by a younger DL player when his contract is up.

-JB

Green was also a 3rd round pick. If he doesn’t make the team next year how is he also not considered a bust?

Hiding on the sideline doesn’t make you less of a bust.

Joel Buchsbaum
02-24-2024, 08:46 AM
Green was also a 3rd round pick. If he doesn’t make the team next year how is he also not considered a bust?

Hiding on the sideline doesn’t make you less of a bust.

Leal will make the team as long as he is not hurt, I think. Green was a bad bust, Leal is not the same type of player meaning he does not get embarrassed on the field. Perhaps the man lacks some effort. The coaches who see him practice 60+ times a season would know.

feltdizz
02-24-2024, 08:55 AM
Leal will make the team as long as he is not hurt, I think. Green was a bad bust, Leal is not the same type of player meaning he does not get embarrassed on the field. Perhaps the man lacks some effort. The coaches who see him practice 60+ times a season would know.

Leal doesn’t play enough to know if he is legit or a bust. Hopefully he rebounds this year.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-24-2024, 01:22 PM

I don't know if I'd call Leal a bust as a third rounder, more of a miss. I'd say as you get into the third and beyond, players are essentially hit or miss as it is - Leal is so far a miss, but the book is not closed while he is still around.

Green is a much different story. Green was an organizational mistake. He was a third round guard, drafted to play a position he had very little experience in, and expected to jump in from day one. Not to let him off the hook, because he truly sucked, but this was not the guy who you could have expected to make that move. The Green failure falls entirely on the organization.

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2024, 12:44 AM
Steelers recent Day 2 draft pick is already on the hot seat

Former draft status isn't going to matter if you can't find a way to contribute.

The Pittsburgh Steelers' 2023 draft class has a chance to be one of the best we have seen from this organization in years. In Omar Khan's first draft as general manager, Pittsburgh found valuable players at important positions on all three days of the draft. Even those who struggled during their rookie season, like Darnell Washington, still show the promise to be a pivotal piece of this team in the future.

Too bad the same can't be said for their 2022 class. We all know the struggles that Kenny Pickett has experienced in his first two seasons. Despite his winning record, the overall sample of play has been extremely underwhelming and the offensive ceiling has been capped with the former first-round quarterback at the helm.

Likewise, 2022 fourth-round pick Calvin Austin III has struggled to get involved in the offense in Year 2 after his rookie season was claimed by a foot injury before it started. However, there's another recent high draft choice who is already firmly in the hot seat and could be on his way out.

When the Pittsburgh Steelers selected DeMarvin Leal with the 84th overall pick in the third round of the 2022 NFL Draft, I was pleasantly optimistic. Leal was coming off a productive junior season at Texas A&M in which he recorded 58 tackles, 12.5 tackles for a loss, and 8.5 sacks.

As a five-star recruit and the former No. 1 defensive tackle prospect in the nation, per 247 Sports, Leal was at one point thought to be a future top-10 pick in the draft. However, his college career wasn't as impressive as anticipated.

Still, this seemed like the perfect type of player to gamble on in the third round. Admittedly, I couldn't see exactly how the oversized edge defender was going to be used in Pittsburgh, but I was perfectly fine with the team taking a chance on his talent.

As a rookie, Leal flashed before landing on IR and missing significant time with a knee injury. Then, in Year 2, those flashes seemed to disappear altogether. The excitement of Leal was quickly overshadowed by a much more impressive Keeanu Benton. By the end of the season, Leal was a healthy scratch for the Steelers.

Entering his third NFL season the former third-round pick only earned a helmet once in his final six games (including the Wild Card game against the Bills) and we have a right to wonder what the team will do with him.

After failing to find any sort of stable role with the team in his first two NFL seasons, the Pittsburgh Steelers could elect to trade DeMarvin Leal. Of course, there would have to be a suitor out there willing to take a player who made practically zero impact in his second NFL season.

Leal's former draft status as a third-round pick combined with decent athletic traits and two years remaining on his rookie deal could make this just sweet enough for a team to throw a late-round pick at him for the chance that he could work out with his new team.

If the Steelers can't trade Leal, the young defensive lineman will be on their roster this summer, but he's not guaranteed to be one of the final 53 players that will make the team in September.

Leal is in desperate need of a monumental third-year leap if he wants to carve out a role with the Steelers in 2024. Unfortunately, hope is dwindling, and it's safe to say that DeMarvin Leal is firmly on the hot seat early in the offseason.

https://stillcurtain.com/posts/steelers-recent-day-2-draft-pick-already-on-hot-seat-01hqr4yzst9e

NorthCoast
03-03-2024, 08:42 AM
Green was also a 3rd round pick. If he doesn?t make the team next year how is he also not considered a bust?

Hiding on the sideline doesn?t make you less of a bust.Colbert once said that the Steelers' 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks are considered eventual starters. Didn't happen for Green and I don't see it happening for Leal.

WindyCitySteel
03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Colbert once said that the Steelers' 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks are considered eventual starters.

Which is why draft analysis kills me, everyone looks at every pick like a starter. In reality, you're lucky to get 2-3 in a draft.

Oviedo
03-03-2024, 12:08 PM
Which is why draft analysis kills me, everyone looks at every pick like a starter. In reality, you're lucky to get 2-3 in a draft.
True. Some rush to criticize that a 4th rd pick isn?t starting.

A 25-30% hit rate is about as good as it gets and you should get bonus points for a guy like Jaylen Warren being a contributor

Joel Buchsbaum
03-03-2024, 03:28 PM

On Leal put me in the camp he is a former 3rd round pick who will contrite in the rotation. He is not a bust nor a stater. But when Healthy he can make his shore of plays.