PDA

View Full Version : Can Washington out-produce Eric Green?

whisper
05-18-2023, 04:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1NOxHMDBTQ

EG was the gigantic Pgh TE before Washington was ever born. At 6-6, 280 lbs, when he was on the light side, before the draft. He was even bigger, and more athletic, than Washington. EG had a bit of a self discipline problem though. Anyone else remember the party he threw before than AFC title game vs. San Diego that year? (1994?) The team, as a whole, didn't seem to take the Chargers seriously enough and we got upset. Hope EG's party was a good time.

https://www.profootballhistory.com/eric-green/

1st round draft pick of Noll's. Out of Liberty.

WindyCitySteel
05-19-2023, 07:30 AM
He won't sniff 34 catches as a rookie unless every other TE gets injured and misses significant time. If he can run block like Green as a rookie I'll be thrilled.

Northern_Blitz
05-19-2023, 08:43 AM
He won't sniff 34 catches as a rookie unless every other TE gets injured and misses significant time. If he can run block like Green as a rookie I'll be thrilled.

I agree.

He's going to mostly be a blocking guy.

But I won't be surprised if he's TE2 by the end of the year (and maybe the beginning) based on all the hype around him for his blocking ability.

Gentry had 19 catches on 24 targets last year. I doubt Washington has that many, but maybe he gets in the 10 - 12 range?

SteelerOfDeVille
05-19-2023, 10:17 AM
I agree.

But I won't be surprised if he's TE2 by the end of the year (and maybe the beginning) based on all the hype around him for his blocking ability.

Gentry had 19 catches on 24 targets last year. I doubt Washington has that many, but maybe he gets in the 10 - 12 range?
I honestly think he surpasses the 24 targets simply because he'll play Gentry's spot and I think the team passes more. I think most players see more targets. I'd say his targets are mid 30's

whisper
05-19-2023, 11:15 AM
I agree.

It sure seems many people have forgot about the OG Eric Green on gigantic Pgh TEs. He was the original gangsta. 6-6, 280 lbs.

feltdizz
05-19-2023, 11:59 AM
I honestly think he surpasses the 24 targets simply because he'll play Gentry's spot and I think the team passes more. I think most players see more targets. I'd say his targets are mid 30's

2 targets a game? Maybe.. I think Gentry was strictly a blocking TE who was lucky to get targets

whisper
05-19-2023, 12:10 PM
2 targets a game? Maybe.. I think Gentry was strictly a blocking TE who was lucky to get targets

I doubt he comes anywhere close to the OG, Eric Green's #s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1NOxHMDBTQ&t=36s

whisper
05-19-2023, 01:23 PM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GreeEr00.htm

I doubt Washington will surpass the OG's #'s.

feltdizz
05-19-2023, 02:23 PM

say it again

Steel Maniac
05-19-2023, 02:29 PM
Muth is still going to be the guy catching the balls at that position.

Captain Lemming
05-19-2023, 03:39 PM

You mean you doubt the second leading receiver ON HIS COLLEGE TEAM might not have as many receptions as THE HIGHEST DRAFTED TIGHT END IN FRANCHISE HISTORY?

Might I suggest that this is an unrealistic expectation for the FOURTH player in our draft?

I would suggest that his INTENDED ROLE was never to replace Friermuths role as a prolific pass catcher but as A DOMINATING run blocker, with unique matchup talent as a situational receiver.

whisper
05-19-2023, 03:44 PM
You mean you doubt the second leading receiver ON HIS COLLEGE TEAM might not have as many receptions as THE HIGHEST DRAFTED TIGHT END IN FRANCHISE HISTORY?

Might I suggest that this is an unrealistic expectation for the FOURTH player in our draft?

I would suggest that his INTENDED ROLE was never to replace Friermuths role as a prolific pass catcher but as A DOMINATING run blocker, with unique matchup talent as a situational receiver.

Not if you listen to our GM and the legion on yinzers afterwards.

Captain Lemming
05-19-2023, 04:01 PM

Somebody is reading WAY TOO MUCH into people’s comments.

Has anyone in the organization EVER suggested that he would even REPLACE Friermuth, much less Eric Greens 60 something catch seasons?

feltdizz
05-19-2023, 04:58 PM

What GM has said Washington will be our featured TE and replace Muth?

Northern_Blitz
05-19-2023, 05:00 PM

Agree with this.

His contribution will be in the run game, not receiving.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-20-2023, 06:56 AM
Agree with this.

His contribution will be in the run game, not receiving.

Football is changing, and Washington is a rare hybrid type of player who offeres the size and leght of a tackle as a blocker, AND towering height, catch radius, and good speed as a receiver. He is a mismatch player for defenses. We might see him winning lot of one one ones vs . his man in a two TE set, or in the red zed zone. He is not a Kelce type of receiver! He is a unique type of talent. Boy with this offense suddenly we can play situtaional football! POWER Football. Players like Washington and Pottenbaum bring the power to the Offense. I would however not give him too much to do as a rooike and IMO he needs to grow up and mature a bit.

If Canada can think about how to uses our rookies...

whisper
05-20-2023, 07:53 AM
Somebody is reading WAY TOO MUCH into people’s comments.

Has anyone in the organization EVER suggested that he would even REPLACE Friermuth, much less Eric Greens 60 something catch seasons?

If you listen to the comments, it seems like they think Washington might out-produce the entire NFL at TE. Did you hear them?

whisper
05-20-2023, 07:57 AM
What GM has said Washington will be our featured TE and replace Muth?

Learn to truly listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwP3vPQi0nI

Captain Lemming
05-20-2023, 10:12 AM
If you listen to the comments, it seems like they think Washington might out-produce the entire NFL at TE. Did you hear them?

Go on back to Google, Google, Google
Go on back to Google (drop a link)

“I Dont Think So”
https://media.tenor.com/q45td_Svg-AAAAAC/llcool-j-legendary-carlmax.gif

blacknblue80s
05-20-2023, 12:17 PM
Gentry as a rookie was terrible as a blocker, he struggled mightily on the sled. It's taken him years to get to where Washington already is as a blocker. IMO, the fact that Big Zero is going to be a weapon in the run game will allow opportunities where he will be unaccounted for in the passing game and make for some easy completions and scores.

I'm expecting 30 plus targets.

whisper
05-20-2023, 01:00 PM
Gentry as a rookie was terrible as a blocker, he struggled mightily on the sled. It's taken him years to get to where Washington already is as a blocker. IMO, the fact that Big Zero is going to be a weapon in the run game will allow opportunities where he will be unaccounted for in the passing game and make for some easy completions and scores.

Realism. I give that a Bingo, bango, play it on your banjo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlqQ1_vZVE

Captain Lemming
05-20-2023, 03:25 PM

Washington is already a better blocker than Banner will ever be. He will be a scarier receiving threat as a rookie.

Unless there is a fear Washington will get injured, I honestly see no reason to keep Banner around aside from his fun show with Friermuth.

whisper
05-21-2023, 03:17 PM
Washington is already a better blocker than Banner will ever be. He will be a scarier receiving threat as a rookie.

Unless there is a fear Washington will get injured, I honestly see no reason to keep Banner around aside from his fun show with Friermuth.

No one knows who you're talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Banner

Captain Lemming
05-21-2023, 03:35 PM
No one knows who you're talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Banner

LOL, Gentry.
Got my Zach’s twisted.

BTW nobody talks about losing Cam SUTTON from our defensive line. :)

NorthCoast
08-02-2023, 07:01 AM

I would suggest that his INTENDED ROLE was never to replace Friermuths role as a prolific pass catcher but as A DOMINATING run blocker, with unique matchup talent as a situational receiver.Yesterday SNR talked about Washington maybe will be redshirted for his rookie season. Said his college coach knew offense and if he thought Washington would be something as a receiver he would have seen a lot more targets. Said they expect Washington will likely be used mostly as a blocking TE while Muth will get the bulk of targets.

Joel Buchsbaum
08-02-2023, 07:22 AM
Yesterday SNR talked about Washington maybe will be redshirted for his rookie season. Said his college coach knew offense and if he thought Washington would be something as a receiver he would have seen a lot more targets. Said they expect Washington will likely be used mostly as a blocking TE while Muth will get the bulk of targets.

Fans don't see it yet, but I see a an offensive Tackle in him. Will the Steelers dare explore this?

Joel Buchsbaum
08-02-2023, 07:24 AM

Banner is off this team. The last year he played is 2021.

whisper
08-02-2023, 08:52 AM
LOL, Gentry.
Got my Zach’s twisted.

BTW nobody talks about losing Cam SUTTON from our defensive line. :)

Like I said, no one knew what you were talking about. :confused:

feltdizz
08-02-2023, 08:52 AM
Yesterday SNR talked about Washington maybe will be redshirted for his rookie season. Said his college coach knew offense and if he thought Washington would be something as a receiver he would have seen a lot more targets. Said they expect Washington will likely be used mostly as a blocking TE while Muth will get the bulk of targets.

I think red zone and goal line is where Washington will shine as a receiver.

Dude is way too big not to use in the end zone. LB’s and DB’s won’t be able to get around his frame on targets.

whisper
08-02-2023, 09:06 AM

So Eric Green's records won't be threatened? Didn't think so.

feltdizz
08-02-2023, 09:14 AM
So Eric Green's records won't be threatened? Didn't think so.

maybe not yards but I think he could challenge Green’s 7 TD’s if he is utilized in the red zone.

I repeat..

Dude is way too big to not be used as a primary weapon in the end zone.

whisper
08-02-2023, 09:26 AM
maybe not yards but I think he could challenge Green’s 7 TD’s if he is utilized in the red zone.

I repeat..

Dude is way too big to not be used as a primary weapon in the end zone.

I'll place his over-under TDs at 4.

feltdizz
08-02-2023, 10:32 AM

I’ll push it up to 6.

Don’t think he will break the record but I can see him with multiple TD’s in a few games where there is a clear mismatch.

Steel Maniac
08-02-2023, 10:47 AM

We play 17 games now; if Washington ONLY gets 4 TD's, something is really, really wrong in our red zone package. He should get at least 6-9 TD's. Defenses should have nightmares about covering all the guys we have this year in the red zone. Najee, Pickens, Washington, Muth, DJ. I'm not taking any excuses for us NOT being lethal down there.

pczach
08-02-2023, 10:56 AM
If Pat Freiermuth stays healthy and re-signs with the team, he is going to crush every TE receiving stat in Steelers history. He is a stud, and I can see him having a huge year.

Steel Maniac
08-02-2023, 11:06 AM
If Pat Freiermuth stays healthy and re-signs with the team, he is going to crush every TE receiving stat in Steelers history. He is a stud, and I can see him having a huge year.

I agree; Muth should do damage in between the 20's....and the red zone. Provided we don't have any more concussion issues.

feltdizz
08-02-2023, 11:29 AM
We play 17 games now; if Washington ONLY gets 4 TD's, something is really, really wrong in our red zone package. He should get at least 6-9 TD's. Defenses should have nightmares about covering all the guys we have this year in the red zone. Najee, Pickens, Washington, Muth, DJ. I'm not taking any excuses for us NOT being lethal down there.

that’s a bit unrealistic for a rookie TE with a second year QB.

Pat had 7 his rookie year with Ben but he is TE 1.

Would love to see Washington explode on the scene his rookie year.

NJ-STEELER
08-02-2023, 01:02 PM
Fans don't see it yet, but I see a an offensive Tackle in him. Will the Steelers dare explore this?

pat Kirwin has been saying he?s possibly the best LT in the draft.
I can see that happening diwn the line

Captain Lemming
08-02-2023, 01:36 PM
that’s a bit unrealistic for a rookie TE with a second year QB.

Pat had 7 his rookie year with Ben but he is TE 1.

Would love to see Washington explode on the scene his rookie year.

You mean Washington WONT get as many TDs as Kenny HAD TOTAL last season?

I tell you if you add up the minimum people expect of individuals people expect Kenny to go from 7 to 40 TDs in one season. :)

feltdizz
08-02-2023, 04:02 PM

I tell you if you add up the minimum people expect of individuals people expect Kenny to go from 7 to 40 TDs in one season. :)

then they turn right around and predict 8 or 9 wins.

JPJ should have 9 INTs
Washington 9 TDs
Warren 1500 yards and 25 TDs
Pickens 12 TDs

whisper
08-02-2023, 04:15 PM

I think it's going to take longer than you think to incorporate Washington into the redzone package.

whisper
08-02-2023, 04:17 PM

Kenny led an offense that ranked 28th in TDs scored. 28th. He ain't going to jump all that far up the ladder from there. 1 passing TD a game would over than double his total from 2022.