PDA

View Full Version : steelers are making a move with Mitch

Blitzer
05-18-2023, 02:22 PM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/18/omar-khan-mitch-trubisky-extension-will-be-done-shortly/

Extension?

Oviedo
05-18-2023, 02:47 PM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/18/omar-khan-mitch-trubisky-extension-will-be-done-shortly/

Extension?

I predicted several weeks ago this might be what they do to lower the cap impact

Unlike many, I do think Trubisky has value being on the team with a young QB

feltdizz
05-18-2023, 02:49 PM
reduces the cap hit for 2023

SteelerOfDeVille
05-18-2023, 03:11 PM
Ever since Mason came back, I've said I could justify either keeping or letting him go.. NO surprise either way

Extending, lowering cap hit, but keeping him on as #2 - even better

Eich
05-18-2023, 03:24 PM
Mason will be stuck at 3.

feltdizz
05-18-2023, 03:32 PM
Mason will be stuck at 3.

weird he didn’t find a backup role anywhere else as the #2. He must really like the metro area

Northern_Blitz
05-18-2023, 04:09 PM
Mason after hearing this news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xiWw5dwngc

whisper
05-18-2023, 04:30 PM
I predicted several weeks ago this might be what they do to lower the cap impact

Unlike many, I do think Trubisky has value being on the team with a young QB

Then WTF we were doing re-signing MR this week? WTF is going on?

Blitzer
05-18-2023, 04:38 PM
well I guess we dont have to wonder about any UDFA starting games for us this year. I know some of you will they Random QB4 or 5 is way better than KP but just is not going to happen

Northern_Blitz
05-18-2023, 04:59 PM

From Dave @ Terrible Podcast

It's probably the vet minimum deal where they get to add even more money because he's a 4 year vet with the same team.

My thoughts:

Earlier in the offseason we only though about 2 guys that were eligible for this deal: Edmunds and Gentry.

Right after Edmunds signed elsewhere, we did the 4 year vet contract with Gentry, but we only gave him 1/2 of the available bonus money (that doesn't count against the cap).

We didn't think about the fact that there was a 3rd guy who could get this deal too, because we all assumed that there was no way Mason was coming back.

My guess is that he only ever got 1 year minimum offers where he wasn't guaranteed the 2nd string spot.

In that case, it makes sense for him to come back to us because we can offer him a bigger contract for the same cap hit as other teams.

So we get a guy who's probably one of the better 3rd string QBs in the league. And it's probably for a vet minimum cap hit (but a somewhat higher dollar amount).

Flasteel
05-18-2023, 05:14 PM
This is definitely a head-scratcher. I thought for sure Trubisky would have tried to look for a starting gig after this season. Maybe he still will. Regardless, the Steelers depth chart at QB is pretty friggin' solid. Good deal all the way around as far as I'm concerned.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-18-2023, 05:39 PM
weird he didn?t find a backup role anywhere else as the #2. He must really like the metro area
I think he's already unhappy.... I suspect that he came in expecting to be in line for #2 NEXT year...

NorthCoast
05-18-2023, 07:40 PM
This is definitely a head-scratcher. I thought for sure Trubisky would have tried to look for a starting gig after this season. Maybe he still will. Regardless, the Steelers depth chart at QB is pretty friggin' solid. Good deal all the way around as far as I'm concerned.Fourteen QBs drafted this year. Add another 9 or 10 each of the last couple seasons and it gets real hard to find an open spot. MR probably saw the same thing. What other team has a 3rd string QB with starting experience?

feltdizz
05-18-2023, 07:41 PM
I think he's already unhappy.... I suspect that he came in expecting to be in line for #2 NEXT year...

He knows by now.. market must have told him this was his only home.

WindyCitySteel
05-18-2023, 09:44 PM
Don't get it, you save $8M by cutting him. If KP goes down for the year, you're going nowhere. If he misses 2-3 games, no diff between MR and MT.

NJ-STEELER
05-18-2023, 10:49 PM

at the owners meetings they tabled the idea of the 3rd qb rule. a few of the guys on nfl radio think they'll approve a new rule for a 3rd qb on game day citing the 49er playoff game last year

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-19-2023, 08:29 AM
He knows by now.. market must have told him this was his only home.

Agreed, and I don't see where all of this MR support is coming from. This is a guy who once lost a starting job to Duck Hodges. If any team would have given the chance to compete as the #2, then he would be there by now. This was his best offer - a place he supposedly had no intention of returning to.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-19-2023, 08:29 AM
If he misses 2-3 games, no diff between MR and MT.

We see that the FO, and the rest of the league, disagrees.

Northern_Blitz
05-19-2023, 08:46 AM
Don't get it, you save $8M by cutting him. If KP goes down for the year, you're going nowhere. If he misses 2-3 games, no diff between MR and MT.

This is how I felt when we had Ben.

But I don't think it's how I feel about KP (yet). I don't think the gap from KP to Mitch / Mason is all that big. It's no where near like it was going from Ben to Mason / Duck IMO.

No matter who our QB is, we'll mostly win with defense and the run game. At least based on where we were last season. I think we're all hoping for a big jump from Mason.

WindyCitySteel
05-19-2023, 08:56 AM
We see that the FO, and the rest of the league, disagrees.

FO certainly does, but does the league? Nobody wanted either.

While we focus on building the most QB depth in the league, we have poor depth at ILB, OLB, and safety. If Watt or Highsmith misses significant time we are kaput.

Northern_Blitz
05-19-2023, 10:01 AM
Rapoport says 2 year extension. Total contract is now 3 years for $19.4M (basically $6.5M/year), with bonuses that can total over $33M. Will be interested to see how it's structured and what the cap hits look like.

I don't think this is bad. Hopefully Mitch can become KP's Batch. Seems like he was a good team mate last year. Seems like this is him realizing that he won't be a starter in the league.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1659315863076364290

feltdizz
05-19-2023, 10:06 AM
Rapoport says 2 year extension. Total contract is now 3 years for $19.4M (basically $6.5M/year), with bonuses that can total over $33M. Will be interested to see how it's structured and what the cap hits look like.

I don't think this is bad. Hopefully Mitch can become KP's Batch. Seems like he was a good team mate last year. Seems like this is him realizing that he won't be a starter in the league.

damn.. that’s still too much IMO. :o

Joel Buchsbaum
05-19-2023, 10:18 AM

What. I don't know what to make of this, giving that type of money to a back up? Maybe they privately think so bad things about Pickett and are heading against? 6.5 M a year for a back up QB for 3 years?

SteelerOfDeVille
05-19-2023, 10:22 AM
That all depends on the signing bonus - I suspect it's smallish and that at any point after this season, cutting him would result in a cap savings.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-19-2023, 10:26 AM
What. I don't know what to make of this, giving that type of money to a back up? Maybe they privately think so bad things about Pickett and are heading against? 6.5 M a year for a back up QB for 3 years?
Uhhh.. $6.5m a year is pretty small for a QB - it's good "backup" money. For comparison's sake, $6.5M is exactly what backup QB, Teddy Bridgewater made in 2022... For reference, Mason made $5 mil last year.

NJ-STEELER
05-19-2023, 12:17 PM
back up qbs this offseason have been signing deals for around what mitch was making. like $10M per

i doubt he got anymore guarantees in the extension so it lowered his cap hit this year and now for the next 2 year, he'll cost $6.5M
more then what mason would get imo, but not bad at all

whisper
05-19-2023, 12:26 PM

It's a vast overpay.

whisper
05-19-2023, 12:28 PM

And bank our success on Mitch? Good luck with that plan.

Northern_Blitz
05-19-2023, 12:50 PM
back up qbs this offseason have been signing deals for around what mitch was making. like $10M per

i doubt he got anymore guarantees in the extension so it lowered his cap hit this year and now for the next 2 year, he'll cost $6.5M
more then what mason would get imo, but not bad at all

This is where I am on this too.

And while I wasn't impressed with Mitch last season, he's probably among the better QB2s in the league. And my guess is that his contract is at or below league average for QBs signing current extensions.

For example, Brissett signed a 1 year $8.5 M contract. He's probably a reasonable comp for what Mitch is. And we got more term with less AAV.

feltdizz
05-19-2023, 01:06 PM
It's a vast overpay.

Not really.. I’m just being cheap, lol.

Mason got $5M as a back up a few years ago.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-19-2023, 01:22 PM
Uhhh.. $6.5m a year is pretty small for a QB - it's good "backup" money. For comparison's sake, $6.5M is exactly what backup QB, Teddy Bridgewater made in 2022... For reference, Mason made $5 mil last year.

Is 6.5 million a year prttey small for a back up QB in 2023? !! Do some research on what back up's Qb's are making. Then and you will see.

feltdizz
05-19-2023, 03:17 PM
Is 6.5 million a year prttey small for a back up QB in 2023? !! Do some research on what back up's Qb's are making. Then and you will see.

This is in line with veteran backup QB money.

2022 Backup QB’s made $117 mill combined.

The 10 lowest are no name 3rd string QB’s.

I think we are fine paying a little bit more for experience with Kenny on a rookie deal.

NorthCoast
05-19-2023, 04:18 PM
This is how I felt when we had Ben.

But I don't think it's how I feel about KP (yet). I don't think the gap from KP to Mitch / Mason is all that big. It's no where near like it was going from Ben to Mason / Duck IMO.

No matter who our QB is, we'll mostly win with defense and the run game. At least based on where we were last season. I think we're all hoping for a big jump from Mason.

☆☆☆

Any difference between the two is a projection at this point.

"BuzzNuter"
05-19-2023, 05:00 PM
I have a question about Mitch's new contract?. Does this deal make him more trade friendly vs his old deal?

NJ-STEELER
05-19-2023, 05:57 PM
This is where I am on this too.

And while I wasn't impressed with Mitch last season, he's probably among the better QB2s in the league. And my guess is that his contract is at or below league average for QBs signing current extensions.

For example, Brissett signed a 1 year $8.5 M contract. He's probably a reasonable comp for what Mitch is. And we got more term with less AAV.

I still hope Mason out plays him and can deal Mitch if a qb goes down.
save even more cap and get a draft pick

NJ-STEELER
05-19-2023, 06:00 PM
I have a question about Mitch's new contract?. Does this deal make him more trade friendly vs his old deal?

I think less friendly since this was his last year on the old contract. So there would have been zero cap hit for 2024.

now with the new deal. 8 M bonus spread over 3 years I think.
not bad spread over that time but if traded then the rest of the bonus gets accelerated into the next year.

I think a trade is still doable

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2023, 06:30 PM
Here are Trubisky's new cap numbers:

https://steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/trubisky-contract-extension-details.jpg

Northern_Blitz
05-19-2023, 06:36 PM

I think it's a good question, but we (or at least I) don't know the structure yet.

My guess is that we are doing this with the intent of him being the long term backup though. Not with the intent of trading him in the future.

Northern_Blitz
05-20-2023, 08:05 AM
Also, the two new years are at an AAV of like $5.7M.

Which is probably the right way to look at it because players rarely agree to pay cuts.

NJ-STEELER
05-22-2023, 10:59 PM
at the owners meetings they tabled the idea of the 3rd qb rule. a few of the guys on nfl radio think they'll approve a new rule for a 3rd qb on game day citing the 49er playoff game last year

league approved a 3rd qb rule.
wont count against game day roster.
didn?t see what they signed Rudolph for but if it?s cheap.
great move right before this rule passed.