PDA

View Full Version : Rudolph in as back up QB. Trubisky to be cut?

Joel Buchsbaum
05-18-2023, 08:19 AM
Rudolph is better than the cap amount ( 10.6 million this year ) that Trubsiky signed for. The Steelers will save 8 million on the cap by cutting Turbisky.
What did Roudlph sign for?

When he plyed Rudoplh was the better player than Pickett if we go by the stats and QB rating. Mason was 5-3 record wise when he played. He beat better teams with thier staring Qb's. And he did not have the defense giving him the most interceptions in the NFL as Pickett did.

Pickett must improve greatly on his rookie year. Bank on Rudoplh starting sometime this year, either when the glass headed Pickett gets hurt ( his concussions were alrmaing for such a yonug player ) or he gets benched. Either way. Sorry-- that is news. I do not want to see either option!

On the 3rd QB, lets pick someone with upside. He can learn this year.

Northern_Blitz
05-18-2023, 09:40 AM
I don't think so.

We kept all three all of last year despite reportedly having offers for Mitch.

WindyCitySteel
05-18-2023, 09:46 AM
No brainer to cut Mitch now, unless they think they can trade him as camp winds down and injuries happen.

WindyCitySteel
05-18-2023, 09:47 AM
I don't think so.

They would have lost cap space if they traded him last year. Gaining $8M seems too much to pass up.

feltdizz
05-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Rudolph is better than the cap amount ( 10.6 million this year ) that Trubsiky signed for. The Steelers will save 8 million on the cap by cutting Turbisky.

When he plyed Rudoplh was the better player than Pickett if we go by the stats and QB rating. Mason was 5-3 record wise when he played. He beat better teams with thier staring Qb's. And he did not have the defense giving him the most interceptions in the NFL as Pickett did.

Pickett must improve greatly on his rookie year. Bank on Rudoplh starting sometime this year, either when the glass headed Pickett gets hurt ( his concussions were alrmaing for such a yonug player ) or he gets benched. Either way. Sorry-- that is news. I do not want to see either option!

Mason was benched in one of those wins in 2019 because we were losing but he still got credit for the win.

Mason wasn’t that good and maybe you didn’t actually watch the games because our D was on fire in 2019.

and sure, we didn’t lead the league in INT’s in 2019. We were ranked 2nd

We led the league in yards allowed per play: 4.7

We led the league in turnovers: 38 total

We led the league in forced fumbles lost: 18

We also lead the league with the least rushing TD’s allowed: 7 total

Blitzer
05-18-2023, 10:06 AM
in other news, Troy P. has retired

SteelerOfDeVille
05-18-2023, 10:08 AM
They would have lost cap space if they traded him last year. Gaining $8M seems too much to pass up.
I said in another thread yesterday that I could justify either decision.

If you keep Mitch, you have security in having an OK backup to choose from.
If you cut Mitch, you can use some of that money to improve elsewhere

IMO, the determining factor is this: if KP goes down for an extended period, this season is lost. The *only* chance this team has at a playoff birth is KP grows, and even that growth isn't guaranteed.

For that reason, I'd probably cut Mitch and use some of that money to extend Highsmith

Joel Buchsbaum
05-18-2023, 10:37 AM
Mason was benched in one of those wins in 2019 because we were losing but he still got credit for the win.

Mason wasn?t that good and maybe you didn?t actually watch the games because our D was on fire in 2019.

and sure, we didn?t lead the league in INT?s in 2019. We were ranked 2nd

We also lead the league with the least rushing TD?s allowed: 7 total

Oh I agree he wasn't that good. Nowhere did I say that Rudolph is the long term answer at QB. Yet he played better than Pickett did, and had a better record as a staring QB. It's hard to get around those facts. We won with him. That is my point.

IMO the offense has better skill players to work with in 2022 vs. 2019

whisper
05-18-2023, 10:40 AM

Unfortunately, I don't see a QB on the roster who might fit what you are looking for. This Tanner Morgan doesn't seem to fit the bill.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tanner-morgan-2.html

Nice 2019 but that was about it.

whisper
05-18-2023, 10:42 AM
I said in another thread yesterday that I could justify either decision.

If you keep Mitch, you have security in having an OK backup to choose from.
If you cut Mitch, you can use some of that money to improve elsewhere

IMO, the determining factor is this: if KP goes down for an extended period, this season is lost. The *only* chance this team has at a playoff birth is KP grows, and even that growth isn't guaranteed.

For that reason, I'd probably cut Mitch and use some of that money to extend Highsmith

I doubt the $ would be enough. Highsmith seems like a lost cause. Gonna have to draft a replacement there. We can't afford another mega signing OLB, can't do it.

Blitzer
05-18-2023, 10:44 AM
Oh I agree he wasn't that good. Nowhere did I say that Rudolph is the long term answer at QB. Yet he played better than Pickett did, and had a better record as a staring QB. It's hard to get around those facts. We won with him. That is my point.

lol he "played better than Pickett did" you need help

SteelerOfDeVille
05-18-2023, 10:48 AM

Mason wasn’t that good and maybe you didn’t actually watch the games because our D was on fire in 2019.

and sure, we didn’t lead the league in INT’s in 2019. We were ranked 2nd

We also lead the league with the least rushing TD’s allowed: 7 total
In his defense, wasn't he a third string player as a rookie who didn't get many reps, then poof, second year, he's the top backup, then Ben went down early in the season. (correct me if that's all wrong)

"BuzzNuter"
05-18-2023, 10:52 AM

Let me ask you? You did not see an improvement in Pickett's play in 2022? I saw a significant improvement in his play. His last two games were his best. That is why I am excited to watch him in 2023. I don't think I'm the only one with this assessment. I think KP has much more upside then Mason.

I believe you have a bias against KP other then his ability. Do you not like Pitt? You appear to be losing your objectivity in your evaluation of KP.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-18-2023, 10:55 AM
I doubt the $ would be enough. Highsmith seems like a lost cause. Gonna have to draft a replacement there. We can't afford another mega signing OLB, can't do it.
I don't think Highsmith gets close to TJ type of money. From what I'm seeing, he's more in the $14-18 mil per range. Witherspoon and MT cover $12M of that...

As a matter of pure speculation, I think they plan to re-sign him. Otherwise, they would have had OLB higher on the pecking order in this draft.

WindyCitySteel
05-18-2023, 11:02 AM

Lol, RM was 5-3 in his 2nd season with an all world defense and top ten OL, KP was 7-5 in his first with......neither.

feltdizz
05-18-2023, 11:03 AM
In his defense, wasn't he a third string player as a rookie who didn't get many reps, then poof, second year, he's the top backup, then Ben went down early in the season. (correct me if that's all wrong)

Sure, he was thrown into the fire without reps.. and IMO while he wasn’t great I also thought he wasn’t as bad as folks remember. Stiff in the pocket with terrible presence and a terrible clock but a beautiful deep ball.

The problem was underneath, he seemed be a bit slow to process.

I always felt like MR wasn’t treated fairly by fans. Maybe its because he wasn’t a yinzer type or maybe its because Ben was still on the roster.

feltdizz
05-18-2023, 11:37 AM
Lol, RM was 5-3 in his 2nd season with an all world defense and top ten OL, KP was 7-5 in his first with......neither.

Mason only played 2 teams with winning records in those 5 wins and he was benched while we were losing the Bengals game. Duck won that 5th game.

Cincinnati was winless in both meetings
Miami was 0-6
Rams and Indy were the only 2 teams above .500.

combined record of all these teams was like 10-21 :D

whisper
05-18-2023, 11:48 AM
I don't think Highsmith gets close to TJ type of money. From what I'm seeing, he's more in the $14-18 mil per range. Witherspoon and MT cover $12M of that...

As a matter of pure speculation, I think they plan to re-sign him. Otherwise, they would have had OLB higher on the pecking order in this draft.

Not necessarily; had bigger fish to fry than a unit not lacking starters like OLB. OT, DT, CB all were priority over OLB. And they got drafted before it.

WindyCitySteel
05-18-2023, 11:50 AM
Mason only played 2 teams with winning records in those 5 wins and he was benched while we were losing the Bengals game. Duck won that 5th game.

Miami was 0-6

And his Cincy win was rife with jet sweeps and wildcat flukery.

whisper
05-18-2023, 11:50 AM
I don't think so.

Yea, I'm wondering where all this assumption that we are dumping MT is coming from. Art II spoke of keeping him and Art doesn't like change.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-18-2023, 11:58 AM
Not necessarily; had bigger fish to fry than a unit not lacking starters like OLB. OT, DT, CB all were priority over OLB. And they got drafted before it.
Understood, but after those spots were filled, trading down and selecting TE in the 3rd.... "meh"

SidSmythe
05-18-2023, 12:14 PM
I don't see Any Benefit in keeping BOTH - Rudolph has been around the Longest - has a similar skillset as Trubisky (except the ability to run that well).
Either way - Trubisky is gone after next season and I don't think he wins anymore games than Rudolph could if needed over an extended period of time.

Djfan
05-18-2023, 12:27 PM
I always felt like MR wasn’t treated fairly by fans. Maybe its because he wasn’t a yinzer type or maybe its because Ben was still on the roster.

I agree. He's not a starter, he sucks, he is a wasted roster spot, etc. I guess it makes people feel like experts or something. He will never be our starter and he knows it. But he tries hard, had good preseasons, a great public face about the situation, and keeps going.

No one wants any of the QBs on the roster to be the starter except KP8. He is the man. Let the RM hate stop.

As for the topic of getting rid of MT, it makes sense to me, as he is expensive and will most likely be gone after this year. If we can get something for him, do it. I have not heard anyone say that this is being leaked by the front office, or Tomlin wants it, etc. It's just off season fan talk. Enjoy that ride, or don't.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-18-2023, 12:27 PM
Let me ask you? You did not see an improvement in Pickett's play in 2022? I saw a significant improvement in his play. His last two games were his best. That is why I am excited to watch him in 2023. I don't think I'm the only one with this assessment. I think KP has much more upside then Mason.

I believe you have a bias against KP other then his ability. Do you not like Pitt? You appear to be losing your objectivity in your evaluation of KP.

Improvement, yes. But not a much as I expected or hope for. He got concussed to easily, threw the ball very short, and the offense did not score much with him. Those are the facts. I saw it. I saw game manager type of QB. Not a franchise QB in the making, nor a top 8-15 type of talent. That is not what we need.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-18-2023, 12:32 PM

Miami was 0-6

How may teams did Pickett beat with a winniing record that did not play a back - up QB? I count zero wins for Pickett. At least Mason beat teams with a winning record,. But I am an objective type of fan. I am also sky high on our off season. Great free agency, draft, and rookie free agents.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-18-2023, 12:56 PM
So let me get this straight:

A week ago the team was comfortable going into the season with Pickett starting, Trubisky as backup, and searching for a scrap heap number 3. Suddenly, as if by magic, Mason Rudolph became available (despite the fact that he has been sitting at home all winter without a bite), and the team is scrapping their plan and going with Rudolph as the backup, and cutting Trubisky to save some cap space?

More likely, the team was searching for #3 and didn't like what they saw, they knew that Mason didn't want to return, but they also know him well, and also know that he is still without a deal anywhere. They call him up and tell him that even though he didn't love how things ended last year, if he is interested they are still looking for a #3. He swallows his pride, knows that it is still a paycheck, and will come to camp as the third stringer and compete to backup.

feltdizz
05-18-2023, 01:27 PM
So let me get this straight:

A week ago the team was comfortable going into the season with Pickett starting, Trubisky as backup, and searching for a scrap heap number 3. Suddenly, as if by magic, Mason Rudolph became available (despite the fact that he has been sitting at home all winter without a bite), and the team is scrapping their plan and going with Rudolph as the backup, and cutting Trubisky to save some cap space?

More likely, the team was searching for #3 and didn't like what they saw, they knew that Mason didn't want to return, but they also know him well, and also know that he is still without a deal anywhere. They call him up and tell him that even though he didn't love how things ended last year, if he is interested they are still looking for a #3. He swallows his pride, knows that it is still a paycheck, and will come to camp as the third stringer and compete to backup.

or Mason’s agent called around the league and found no takers and called Khan? :)

No idea what happened but I think our FO is fine with spending $12 to $15 mill total for 3 QB’s that all have game experience.

feltdizz
05-18-2023, 01:46 PM
How may teams did Pickett beat with a winniing record that did not play a back - up QB? I count zero wins for Pickett. At least Mason beat teams with a winning record,. But I am an objective type of fan. I am also sky high on our off season. Great free agency, draft, and rookie free agents.

lmao at adding the backup QB to the question because Kenny beat the Ravens on the road.

Mason played 3 games against teams with 0 wins.. and was still benched in the last game vs the Bengals that is a W only because he started the game.

and one of those wins was against a backup QB for the Colts, lol. m

and the other win was against the Rams and Minkah had a 43 yard fumble return for a TD. One of the headlines after the game was “Steelers win IN SPITE of their offense”

I agree with you on the offseason though, we are making moves that should make us extremely competitive this year.

Blitzer
05-18-2023, 01:57 PM
We should probably cut KP and go with a rookie. How many times did kp win a game against a team with a winning record who didn't have a back up qb, that was beating us 30 to nothing in the 1st half. Zero times. Not once. And I don't need to mention that kp has not one 1 single game since the end of the 2022 season. Not one

whisper
05-18-2023, 04:15 PM
Understood, but after those spots were filled, trading down and selecting TE in the 3rd.... "meh"

That's because Washington is so "amazing!" They couldn't believe he was still there! He's gonna make such a difference in the rushing AND passing game. It's gonna be like night and day from the very 1st time he steps on the field. Night and day. Eric Green sans the self discipline problems!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1NOxHMDBTQ