PDA

View Full Version : Rushing needs fixed 1st and foremost

whisper
05-16-2023, 03:04 PM
Yes, the D has some question marks, yes, our 2nd-year QB has a lot to prove, but unless our rushing game improves, not much else will matter.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/offense/rushing/2022/reg/all

In 2022, we rushed for 4.2 ypc. How did that compare to the rest of the league? Well, quite a few teams tied us, but it puts us around 25th, with only 5 teams with an average rush for less. 5 teams. And, according to Weidl and the front office, the rest of the NFL better get ready to fear the power rushing game of Pgh., I mean, like, crap their pants fear it. Ummm, not so fast.

And our power 1st rounder RB, who is supposed to create fear just walking on the field, isn't really there yet. He's not quite tooting the horn at 3.8 ypc. That's not even near average. His 60 yards per game isn't going to "scare" anyone.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/rushing.htm

Unless Pgh picks up the production of the rushing game, we aren't going any where. I hope Weidl's pronouncement that Pgh is gonna make teams shudder with power football again comes true. But we aren't there yet.

feltdizz
05-16-2023, 03:27 PM
I agree 100%. I like the way we ended the season and the upgrades on the OL will help us establish a dominant run game.

whisper
05-16-2023, 03:35 PM
I agree 100%. I like the way we ended the season and the upgrades on the OL will help us establish a dominant run game.

I am hopeful late last year and improvements made on the OL since will create the rushing success Weidl envisions. It's just that we aren't there yet and need to be. KP without the D fearing the rush ain't gonna open up the field and passing game. We need the rushing game to be more successful. If the rush is there, it will open everything else up. Then play action will be effective. Like Elway with Terrell Davis in the backfield.

Blitzer
05-16-2023, 04:01 PM
Rushing certainly got better last year as the line got better. Looking for it to improve even more this year.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-16-2023, 04:47 PM
this thread... and you two... it's weirding me out

can you fight about something, please?

:p:p:p:p

hawaiiansteel
05-16-2023, 04:58 PM
this thread... and you two... it's weirding me out

can you fight about something, please?

:p:p:p:p

my IT guy says feltdizz and whisper have the same IP address and live within 20 miles of each other :p

Steel Maniac
05-16-2023, 04:59 PM
Rushing certainly got better last year as the line got better. Looking for it to improve even more this year.

We've made additions to the O-line. It's got to be better.

"BuzzNuter"
05-16-2023, 09:55 PM
Last year Najee was hurt the first what 7 or 8 games. When he healed up he was a beast. The last Ravens game he pounded them for over a 100 yards. Have you people forgotten that.

If Najee is healthy going into 23 and he doesn't get hurt, he's rushing for 1500+ yards. Book that bet because it's a sure thing.

whisper
05-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last year Najee was hurt the first what 7 or 8 games. When he healed up he was a beast. The last Ravens game he pounded them for over a 100 yards. Have you people forgotten that.

If Najee is healthy going into 23 and he doesn't get hurt, he's rushing for 1500+ yards. Book that bet because it's a sure thing.

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." I'll buy it after it actually happens. Not a moment before so. Najee was hurt to start the season (not aided by Tomin's decision to actually make him play in the last preseason game. Way to go genius. Why he didn't have to take more crap for that decision I don't know.) IF ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we will see how Najee does.

feltdizz
05-17-2023, 10:31 AM

People forget that high ankle sprain in the end of the first Cincy game too.

Captain Lemming
05-17-2023, 10:35 AM

While I agree with an increase is quality of play 1500 is a bit much with Warren taking reps.

I think (and hope) Najee gets fewer attempts and Warren more.

I look at BOTH backs looking beastly with Better line play and hopefully a 60/40 split which will preserve them both.

whisper
05-17-2023, 11:00 AM
While I agree with an increase is quality of play 1500 is a bit much with Warren taking reps.

I look at BOTH backs looking beastly with Better line play and hopefully a 60/40 split which will preserve them both.

I agree, but lets not forget Tomlin's propensity to over-use the #1 RB. It's foolish, but it's real. I am so sick of Tomlin-isms, but that doesn't change the fact they exist.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-17-2023, 11:05 AM

I feel like this spit is probably going to be more like 70-30; could be a bad memory, but it seems as Naj got healthy, he got more carries toward the season's end - thinking back to the ravens game...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-17-2023, 11:36 AM

Of course. One of many improvements made. The whole idea of this thread is ridiculous because in sports nothing gets "fixed". It either improves, declines, or stays the same. What has the FO done to improve the running game this off-season?
Add two FA IOL
Draft first round OL
Draft TE whose nickname was “The Sixth Offensive Lineman”

Organic improvements:
Najee entering the season without lisfranc injury
OL second year in Meyer system
Warren no longer a rook
Seumalo replacing Dotson

Potential concerns:
Seumalo first has to learn new blocking system
Jones may not start right away
If passing game doesn't improve, pressure continues on running game

Overall, the team has done a lot to try to improve the running game, and whether or not it works we can see that they have addressed it, which is what we wanted to see.

whisper
05-17-2023, 11:44 AM
Of course. One of many improvements made. The whole idea of this thread is ridiculous because in sports nothing gets "fixed". It either improves, declines, or stays the same. What has the FO done to improve the running game this off-season?
Add two FA IOL
Draft first round OL

Organic improvements:
Warren no longer a rook
Seumalo replacing Dotson

Potential concerns:

Overall, the team has done a lot to try to improve the running game, and whether or not it works we can see that they have addressed it, which is what we wanted to see.

Well, the one thing we know is we must increase the offense output if we want a legit contender. Scoring 28th in TDS ain't gonna cut it. Scoring 18 PPG is way to low to be a legit contender. We need to increase the PPG by 7 to even begin thinking about being a contender. Our rush must improve to allow this.

Captain Lemming
05-17-2023, 12:20 PM
I agree, but lets not forget Tomlin's propensity to over-use the #1 RB. It's foolish, but it's real. I am so sick of Tomlin-isms, but that doesn't change the fact they exist.

I too have criticized Tomlin for not using backup running backs.

But last season he used an undrafted free agent a ton.
So why complain when he is trending in a better direction?

SteelerOfDeVille
05-17-2023, 12:36 PM
if they start him opening day against the poor man's Watt brother (Nick Bosa) I would be impressed

WindyCitySteel
05-19-2023, 07:39 AM
if they start him opening day against the poor man's Watt brother (Nick Bosa) I would be impressed

Start him and bracket him with Washington and run the ball.

whisper
05-19-2023, 11:35 AM
Add two FA IOL
Draft first round OL

Organic improvements:
Warren no longer a rook
Seumalo replacing Dotson

Potential concerns:

Add to the issues: How good of an NFL RB is Najee to begin with? He's no Derrick Henry. Is he more of a Trent Richardson? 4.8 40 speed? His YPC seems to be pointing in the TR realm.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-19-2023, 11:42 AM
Add to the issues: How good of an NFL RB is Najee to begin with? He's no Derrick Henry. Is he more of a Trent Richardson? 4.8 40 speed? His YPC seems to be pointing in the TR realm.
It's hard to say - as shown in the other thread, he ran against a predominantly stacked box.

I think he's closer to Marshawn Lynch, but his o-line hasn't been good enough, nor has his offense passed downfield enough to loosen up the D. With a stacked box, the *should* be taking more shots.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-19-2023, 11:44 AM

He is the same guy who started last season, just one year older. If the pieces around him improved then the running game should be better. If not, then it won't. Can RB1 be improved upon? Definitely, but the overall team building process is always ongoing, and the running game should be one of the improvements overall from last year.

whisper
05-19-2023, 11:57 AM
He is the same guy who started last season, just one year older. If the pieces around him improved then the running game should be better. If not, then it won't. Can RB1 be improved upon? Definitely, but the overall team building process is always ongoing, and the running game should be one of the improvements overall from last year.

To a degree, NH is the man pulling the sled. If he's inferior, so too will be the rushing effort.