PDA

View Full Version : Kwon Alexander visiting

Oviedo
05-15-2023, 01:33 PM
Potential addition at ILB.

Iron City Inc.
05-15-2023, 01:44 PM
He has had 2 serious medical issues ACL n Achillies a while back but played a bunch last year for the Jets. Don't know much about him but since we have some serious question marks at ILB bring him in n let him compete. I believe he's only 28.

WindyCitySteel
05-15-2023, 01:55 PM
4 teams in 5 seasons. Usually these guys bounce around for a reason.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-15-2023, 02:06 PM
draft profile reads: "Trenton Simpson". Fast, hustles, not instinctive. And that was a few years ago before the ACL stuff. If signed, I would imagine it would be as a 1-year stopgap until they can find their speed ILB next offseason

Captain Lemming
05-15-2023, 02:09 PM

Yeah I agree. Goes to Devilles point. Stop-gap.
Can't fix it all in one season.

WindyCitySteel
05-15-2023, 02:33 PM
Yeah I agree. Goes to Devilles point. Stop-gap.
Can't fix it all in one season.

How many years in a row are they going to paper over the ILB position with stop-gaps?

SteelerOfDeVille
05-15-2023, 04:18 PM
How many years in a row are they going to paper over the ILB position with stop-gaps?
Honestly, I just looked at the roster from 5 years ago and that COMPLETELY changed my response.

As I started typing, I was going to agree with your take.

DID YOU KNOW:

Today vs the 2018 team (per profootballreferene.com), all 11 starters are gone from the offense and even some top backups. On defense, only Cam and TJ remain.

20 of 22 starters are gone. I'm not talking a decade ago, but basically ONE contract extension. There have been injuries, unexpected retirements and nevermind the fact that you have natural turnover anyway.

Many of us (myself included) have been critical of the FO with their FA moves and draft choices. But WOW, replacing 20 of 22 with enough quality players to be competitive is really an impossible task.

You actually couldn't afford to get the top FA every year - not for TWENTY replacements. I now understand the bargain bottom shopping with the FA. You can't pay for 5 high-end FA annually.

Even with a solid draft, you're only going to get 2-3 starters per draft. Some of those guys are going to bust or simply underperform. And even when ya do plan to get a guy in the draft, you likely get a FA to cover until the starter is ready - those guys aren't cheap (see: Pickett and Tribusky).

All this to respond to your question... when your draft pick and your gamble both bust at ILB, you're in a world of hurt. Especially when you have 18 other holes to fill.

Different position, but you grab a Levi Wallace or Mason Cole knowing that this guy is a B- player, HOPING that you can coach them up to a B+ player.

That as perspective - I see Pickett, Najee, Pickens, Freirmuth, TJ, Minkah, hopefully Highsmith as guys that should be around a few seasons and perform. We need some of the younger guys (Broderick, JPJ, Benton, CA3) to to all be draft "hits".

I may have to do a real positional assessment post with some of that as perspective.

whisper
05-15-2023, 04:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PLfjhQG97I

Word.

NorthCoast
05-15-2023, 04:36 PM
How many years in a row are they going to paper over the ILB position with stop-gaps?The league in general has devalued the LB position.

Captain Lemming
05-15-2023, 04:45 PM

One year after FINALLY using premium picks on tackle and cornerback.

AGAIN you cannot fix EVERYTHING all at once.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-15-2023, 04:50 PM
One year after FINALLY using premium picks on tackle and cornerback.
^^^ this was going to be my initial response, but...

AGAIN you cannot fix EVERYTHING all at once.
^^^^ this happened

I think next year's team will have Roberts and Holcomb fighting for one starting job... beside a day 1/2 rookie

Captain Lemming
05-15-2023, 05:40 PM

BTW:
Timmons
Shazier
Bush

The only top 15 picks of the Tomlin era prior to his this draft. Anybody notice a theme in the highest draft picks of the last decade and a half?

We are literally just a few months removed from NJ whining about how much draft capital we put into linebacker OVER offensive line.

We prioritize a tackle ONCE in over over 20 years and we are neglecting linebackers? :)

WindyCitySteel
05-15-2023, 07:24 PM
BTW:
Timmons
Shazier
Bush

The only top 15 picks of the Tomlin era prior to his this draft. Anybody notice a theme in the highest draft picks of the last decade and a half?

We are literally just a few months removed from NJ whining about how much draft capital we put into linebacker OVER offensive line.

We prioritize a tackle ONCE in over over 20 years and we are neglecting linebackers? :)

I'm OK with not drafting an ILB high, but simply replacing retreads and reclamation projects year after year after year is not working. Sign a legit starter.

Bostic, Barron, Williamson, Schobert, Jack all one and done. Wouldn't be surprised if Roberts and Holcomb were, too. They seem to not value the position much or their hubris is clouding their judgement and they think they can rehab them.

BURGH86STEEL
05-15-2023, 10:56 PM
Honestly, I just looked at the roster from 5 years ago and that COMPLETELY changed my response.

As I started typing, I was going to agree with your take.

DID YOU KNOW:

Today vs the 2018 team (per profootballreferene.com), all 11 starters are gone from the offense and even some top backups. On defense, only Cam and TJ remain.

20 of 22 starters are gone. I'm not talking a decade ago, but basically ONE contract extension. There have been injuries, unexpected retirements and nevermind the fact that you have natural turnover anyway.

Many of us (myself included) have been critical of the FO with their FA moves and draft choices. But WOW, replacing 20 of 22 with enough quality players to be competitive is really an impossible task.

You actually couldn't afford to get the top FA every year - not for TWENTY replacements. I now understand the bargain bottom shopping with the FA. You can't pay for 5 high-end FA annually.

Even with a solid draft, you're only going to get 2-3 starters per draft. Some of those guys are going to bust or simply underperform. And even when ya do plan to get a guy in the draft, you likely get a FA to cover until the starter is ready - those guys aren't cheap (see: Pickett and Tribusky).

All this to respond to your question... when your draft pick and your gamble both bust at ILB, you're in a world of hurt. Especially when you have 18 other holes to fill.

Different position, but you grab a Levi Wallace or Mason Cole knowing that this guy is a B- player, HOPING that you can coach them up to a B+ player.

That as perspective - I see Pickett, Najee, Pickens, Freirmuth, TJ, Minkah, hopefully Highsmith as guys that should be around a few seasons and perform. We need some of the younger guys (Broderick, JPJ, Benton, CA3) to to all be draft "hits".

I may have to do a real positional assessment post with some of that as perspective.

Most NFL rosters have a large majority of roster turnover every 4 to 5 seasons.

When some people suggest the Steelers refused to........... they don't seem to understand the various factors it takes when it comes to building a team.

BURGH86STEEL
05-15-2023, 11:02 PM
I'm OK with not drafting an ILB high, but simply replacing retreads and reclamation projects year after year after year is not working. Sign a legit starter.

Bostic, Barron, Williamson, Schobert, Jack all one and done. Wouldn't be surprised if Roberts and Holcomb were, too. They seem to not value the position much or their hubris is clouding their judgement and they think they can rehab them.

The Steelers signed on those players and drafted several LBs over the years. So they must value the position.

Most of those players went on to play for other teams after they were with the Steelers. Those players were not a good fit for the Steelers long term.

Teams give players a test drive to see if FA players can be a good fit for the teams. For example, Seattle signed Bush to a one year deal. Like it or not, this is how business is done in the NFL.

Steel Maniac
05-15-2023, 11:11 PM

That?s what I?m talking about.

Captain Lemming
05-16-2023, 12:02 AM

Are you even reading the fact that the highest 3 picks Tomlin ever made before Jones this season were ALL middle linebacker?

Devon Bush is BY FAR the highest pick made during the Tomlin era. We TRADED UP to use FRANCHISE QB LEVEL pick to get him.

”We don’t value the position?”

What are you talking about?

Captain Lemming
05-16-2023, 12:16 AM
Windy.
What position has gotten more 1st round love than middle linebacker in the Tomlin era?

We have done so many free agent rentals because TWO OF OUR HIGHEST DRAFTED PLAYERS OF THE ERA did not work.

Heck if healthy SHAZIER would still be playing never mind Bush who became a shell of himself post injury.

As far as the quality of free agents?

We just don’t do big splash signings. We can debate THAT but it is how we do most free agents, not just linebackers.

Northern_Blitz
05-16-2023, 06:57 AM

Until they can find a good one in a good spot in the draft.

I'm glad we didn't reach for one or born the future of the cap for s guy in UFA.

Oviedo
05-16-2023, 07:05 AM
BTW:
Timmons
Shazier
Bush

Some people aren't happy unless they are unhappy and will complain about everything

WindyCitySteel
05-16-2023, 07:45 AM
Are you even reading the fact that the highest 3 picks Tomlin ever made before Jones this season were ALL middle linebacker?

Devon Bush is BY FAR the highest pick made during the Tomlin era. We TRADED UP to use FRANCHISE QB LEVEL pick to get him.

”We don’t value the position?”

What are you talking about?

So maybe they're just not good at evaluating the position anymore. Been almost a decade since their last impact player.

NorthCoast
05-16-2023, 08:00 AM
The Bush trade up looms as one of the worst in the NFL in the last two decades;

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvS8iItWIAchkQy?format=png&name=large

https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1654154268650139652?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1654154268650139652%7Ctwgr% 5Ec44e6283f4dc2bf6839e8d207d1cfcfa7c6e8a31%7Ctwcon %5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2F articles%2F10075820-ranking-the-7-worst-decisions-of-the-2023-nfl-offseason

Ghost
05-16-2023, 10:49 AM
Don't know a ton about Alexander but read where he would not be an every down player but had the possibility to become the best coverage linebacker they'd have on the team.

NJ-STEELER
05-17-2023, 01:16 AM
good thing we have a defensive minded coach so he can find gems at ilb from anywhere

Buzz
05-17-2023, 09:01 AM
had the possibility to become the best coverage linebacker they'd have on the team.

which is not necessarily saying a whole lot ... hopefully, if we sign him, he can provided a significant upgrade in that area

SteelerOfDeVille
05-17-2023, 09:12 AM
Until they can find a good one in a good spot in the draft.

I'm glad we didn't reach for one or born the future of the cap for s guy in UFA.
This - and I honestly think the ILB run right before they took Washington was a problem for the team - although they'd never say they were looking elsewhere because it would be an insult to Washington

whisper
05-17-2023, 11:17 AM
This - and I honestly think the ILB run right before they took Washington was a problem for the team - although they'd never say they were looking elsewhere because it would be an insult to Washington

If Washington doesn't re-invent the TE position in Pgh, there s gonna be a PR problem. There WERE ILB guys available right during that pick and they blew them off, acting as if Washington was the new sliced bread to be found in the draft. They almost carried a "Colbert-level" cockiness with the TE. Of course, when he doesn't come out of the gates clobbering fools, we will have to hear all of the "but he's just a rookie" speak. But this guy better be nothing short of Eric Green - minus the self discipline issues, or he will be viewed as a big miss. Washington is not only being counted on as a big pass receiver presence but also a 3rd OT in rush blocking. He better produce in both areas.

Captain Lemming
05-17-2023, 11:29 AM
If Washington doesn't re-invent the TE position in Pgh, there s gonna be a PR problem. There WERE ILB guys available right during that pick and they blew them off, acting as if Washington was the new sliced bread to be found in the draft. They almost carried a "Colbert-level" cockiness with the TE. Of course, when he doesn't come out of the gates clobbering fools, we will have to hear all of the "but he's just a rookie" speak. But this guy better be nothing short of Eric Green - minus the self discipline issues, or he will be viewed as a big miss. Washington is not only being counted on as a big pass receiver presence but also a 3rd OT in rush blocking. He better produce in both areas.

The question is whether a linebacker in a linebacker weak draft is better than THE COMBINATION of our behemoth TE AND our newest cutsie brother edge rusher.

You assume the linebacker we would have taken would be any good but we don?t know that either.

Washington needs to redefine the position?

What if our top linebacker who we would take in the 3rd busts?

For all we know Herbig moves inside and winds up just as good as the guy we skipped.

Bottom line?

Getting both Washington and Herbig at the expense of a linebacker looks great on paper but it is ALL a guess.

Regardless the results which are impossible to know from in advance, I say it was a nice move based on available knowledge.

feltdizz
05-17-2023, 11:44 AM

we traded back to get him and yes, he is a rookie 3rd rounder.

“He better be good day one or else” What will happen if a 3rd rounder isn’t a finished product day 1?

Captain Lemming
05-17-2023, 11:46 AM
Of course, when he doesn't come out of the gates clobbering fools, we will have to hear all of the "but he's just a rookie" speak. But this guy better be nothing short of Eric Green - minus the self discipline issues, or he will be viewed as a big miss. Washington is not only being counted on as a big pass receiver presence but also a 3rd OT in rush blocking. He better produce in both areas.

If he is a monster blocker? (3rd tackle) and is NEVER better than Friermuth as a receiver, (30-45 catches in his prime) that is real value.

Barring the injury, I see that as his floor and I am not as confident in any available linebacker.

Captain Lemming
05-17-2023, 11:54 AM
we traded back to get him and yes, he is a rookie 3rd rounder.

“He better be good day one or else” What will happen if a 3rd rounder isn’t a finished product day 1?

THAT IS HOW A BUSTAMALU IS BORN:)

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2011/01/13/sports/POLAMALU1/POLAMALU1-jumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp

SteelerOfDeVille
05-18-2023, 12:20 PM
What if they had 4-5 ILB they thought were even-ish at pick 80, and gambled that at least one of them would be there at 93?

Then at pick 93, all of them were gone -- DJ Johnson, Daiyan Henley, Trenton Simpson, Demarvion Overshown and Dorian Williams all went between 80 and 93. The next ILB went 28 picks later at pick 121.

I know they'd never tell because it would be an insult to Washington, but I suspect this is how it played out.

Having said all that, I watched a couple of UGa games. Washington is as advertised. He's a big guy, big target, good blocker with decent speed AND is already used to playing second fiddle to another TE. When he's used, he'll be a matchup nightmare.

I dunno if that gives you 3rd round value, because in the end, I'd be surprised if he catches more than say 25 targets on the season.