PDA

View Full Version : Steelers past and present not happy about 2 Thursday games

WindyCitySteel
05-13-2023, 11:16 AM
Vince Williams and Patrick Peterson, namely. Normally I might agree, but they're both at home following home games. I've heard some players say they like them because it's a light week of walkthroughs and a mini-bye following the game.

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/05/vince-williams-calls-out-nfl-for-scheduling-pittsburgh-twice-on-thursday-night-i-think-the-nfl-hates-the-steelers/

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/05/tough-enough-with-one-patrick-peterson-not-thrilled-steelers-have-two-thursday-night-football-games/

NJ-STEELER
05-13-2023, 12:33 PM
I was a little upset by it at first.

but then realized the schedule maker did us a solid in the 2nd match up.
I’ve heard analysts say that there’s very little time to put a game plan together and practice that plan when you have to play so quickly on a Thursday.

so with a master GP like BB and the lack of game plans we’ve seen from us over the years. They seemed to have leveled the playing field.

plus as you noted, both games in Pittsburgh where the home team usually has a great advantage.

NorthCoast
05-13-2023, 12:59 PM
I was a little upset by it at first.

but then realized the schedule maker did us a solid in the 2nd match up.
I?ve heard analysts say that there?s very little time to put a game plan together and practice that plan when you have to play so quickly on a Thursday.

so with a master GP like BB and the lack of game plans we?ve seen from us over the years. They seemed to have leveled the playing field.

plus as you noted, both games in Pittsburgh where the home team usually has a great advantage.They were even kinder than that. All three primetime games (Monday night & two Thursdays) are preceded by home games the week before. The Steelers won't be crisscrossing the country.

LPMAN
05-13-2023, 06:46 PM
We only have 1 preseason game. Am i reading that correctly?

feltdizz
05-14-2023, 07:56 AM
We only have 1 preseason game. Am i reading that correctly?

we have 2.

Bucs in Tampa and Bills at home.

Buzz
05-14-2023, 10:01 AM
I don't like the Thursday games

but by now, it should be obvious, the NFL's top priority is making $$$$

that comes ahead of player safety, integrity, everything else ... they've crunched the numbers and made their projections and they believe keeping the Thursday night games is going to net them more money

so Patrick Peterson and Vince Williams and a host of other ex-players, players, coaches, commentators, and fans can whine & complain all we want, the Thursday games are not going away

Steel Maniac
05-14-2023, 10:17 AM

that comes ahead of player safety, integrity, everything else ... they've crunched the numbers and made their projections and they believe keeping the Thursday night games is going to net them more money

so Patrick Peterson and Vince Williams and a host of other ex-players, players, coaches, commentators, and fans can whine & complain all we want, the Thursday games are not going away

Money post.

WindyCitySteel
05-14-2023, 10:33 AM

Easy way to fix this - only schedule teams to play on Thursday when coming off of a bye.

Steel Maniac
05-14-2023, 10:47 AM
Easy way to fix this - only schedule teams to play on Thursday when coming off of a bye.

That would be too much like right.

NorthCoast
05-14-2023, 11:05 AM
We only have 1 preseason game. Am i reading that correctly?The first month of the season is now preseason. Only diff is the games count. The Steelers do a lot of mixing up personnel in the early games.

LPMAN
05-14-2023, 12:06 PM
we have 2.

I figured out ESPN is not listing games that are TBD dates.

NJ-STEELER
05-14-2023, 02:25 PM

I?m hoping the product is so bad. (Thursday football after a playing on Sunday is pretty bad)
Amazon tells the league they made a mistake and they won?t consider an offer for the next contract.
then through sone negotiations they come to an agreement on Friday or Saturday night football

Buzz
05-15-2023, 09:34 AM
we have 2.

I think we have 3, don't we? I think we have one at Atlanta as well, which they haven't come up with a date or time for yet.

feltdizz
05-15-2023, 09:35 AM
I think we have 3, don't we? I think we have one at Atlanta as well, which they haven't come up with a date or time for yet.

thanks.. I thought it was 3 games. Was a but surprised to see 2 games, let alone 1.

Sugar
05-15-2023, 08:55 PM
I hate games at any other time than 1pm on Sunday other than the Super Bowl. I really hate anything in primetime.

WindyCitySteel
05-15-2023, 09:01 PM
I hate games at any other time than 1pm on Sunday other than the Super Bowl. I really hate anything in primetime.

First Super Bowl I remember watching was played Sunday afternoon at 2:00. Frankly, they should either make the Monday following a national holiday, or play on Saturday.

BURGH86STEEL
05-15-2023, 10:50 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-fans-will-need-to-subscribe-to-peacock-if-they-dont-want-to-miss-a-playoff-game-221224421.html
I haven't made a decision yet on if I will pay to watch NFL games through youtube.

I pay for enough streaming services.

I don't think it's logical to add a streaming service for one playoff game. In the near future the Superbowl might be placed on a streaming service that charges pay per view.

The streaming service wars will make it difficult on the fans. The NFL could be spreading itself thinly and is walking a very fine line.

whisper
05-16-2023, 11:17 AM

I have always liked MNF. The original prime time game. Good stuff.

Northern_Blitz
05-16-2023, 11:41 AM

This would be ideal. But it would mean that they wouldn't be able to run Thursday games until the week after the first byes. And that means a bunch of lost revenue.

Thursday games suck.

But they won't ever change them IMO.

Northern_Blitz
05-16-2023, 11:42 AM
First Super Bowl I remember watching was played Sunday afternoon at 2:00. Frankly, they should either make the Monday following a national holiday, or play on Saturday.

I would also strongly prefer a Saturday SB.

WindyCitySteel
05-16-2023, 12:12 PM
I would also strongly prefer a Saturday SB.

College football, Final Four, Kentucky Derby, NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB playoff games - people watch sports on Saturday. I detest the argument that some viewers will have other plans on Saturday, as if people don't have other plans on New Year's Eve when they do the CFP.

whisper
05-16-2023, 12:24 PM
I detest the argument that some viewers will have other plans on Saturday, as if people don't have other plans on New Year's Eve when they do the CFP.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Bring in the waaaaaaaaaaammbulance.

feltdizz
05-16-2023, 12:28 PM
College football, Final Four, Kentucky Derby, NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB playoff games - people watch sports on Saturday. I detest the argument that some viewers will have other plans on Saturday, as if people don't have other plans on New Year's Eve when they do the CFP.

College still host Mens Basketball and Football Championship games on Mondays.

NFL wants the casual viewer who would choose a party or dinner on Friday or Saturday over a SuperBowl.

Would love to see them try it once to see if they are correct or not.

WindyCitySteel
05-16-2023, 10:20 PM
College still host Mens Basketball and Football Championship games on Mondays.

NFL wants the casual viewer who would choose a party or dinner on Friday or Saturday over a SuperBowl.

Would love to see them try it once to see if they are correct or not.

I wonder what the Monday ratings are. Majority of viewers in Eastern time zone, my old ass is in bed in 2nd half unless my team is in it.

feltdizz
05-17-2023, 08:46 AM
I wonder what the Monday ratings are. Majority of viewers in Eastern time zone, my old ass is in bed in 2nd half unless my team is in it.

yeah.. its always been a head scratcher to me. I think the BCS playoffs have shown that fans will watch just as much or even more on Fridays or Saturdays.

NJ-STEELER
05-22-2023, 11:02 PM
Owners approves flexing Thursday night games.

24-8.

Steelers voted no

WindyCitySteel
05-23-2023, 07:01 AM
Owners approves flexing Thursday night games.

24-8.

Steelers voted no

The league cares infinitely more about TV viewers than those being viewed on TV. Fans and players screwed again.

WindyCitySteel
05-23-2023, 07:02 AM
yeah.. its always been a head scratcher to me. I think the BCS playoffs have shown that fans will watch just as much or even more on Fridays or Saturdays.

They'll plan their night around it. On Monday night they just try to stay up late enough to see it end before a long day at work.

NJ-STEELER
05-23-2023, 08:33 AM
The league cares infinitely more about TV viewers than those being viewed on TV. Fans and players screwed again.

yeah. They might be playing in a half empty stadium.

tough to plan for a third night game when only given a months notice