PDA

View Full Version : Maulet released? Why?

whisper
05-10-2023, 02:03 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2023/05/rapoport-steelers-releasing-cb-arthur-maulet/

You're either under contract or you're not. Which is it? We are supposedly weak at Slot CB but we are just letting our best one walk? Who the F is running this team? If it's a weakness why are we letting slot CBs just bail out of contracts? If only he had a brother on this team.

whisper
05-10-2023, 02:11 PM

You're either under contract or you're not. Which is it? We are supposedly weak at Slot CB but we are just letting our best one walk? Who the F is running this team? If it's a weakness why are we letting slot CBs just bail out of contracts? If only he had a brother on this team.

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/05/despite-a-busy-offseason-steelers-slot-corner-room-exiting-with-more-questions-than-answers/

feltdizz
05-10-2023, 02:30 PM
Did we give Maulet’s money to Patrick Peterson?

Why are slot CB’s so funky with this FO?

I will add, it could be Weidl and Khan upgrading the position or not feeling like he fits moving forward.

flippy
05-10-2023, 02:33 PM
Meh.

He wasn?t very good in coverage. I thought he might be suited for a S playing in the box.

We?ve got the new guy + Kazee + Minkah can cover the slot.

PP should be able to slide in too.

If we can get 2 drafted CBs to work out, this secondary could be scary good.

Oviedo
05-10-2023, 02:40 PM
Sometimes being more of a "pain in the a$$" reduces your value or people's desire to deal with you. Take note!

Northern_Blitz
05-10-2023, 03:36 PM
I also didn't think it made sense.

Then I read that he asked to be released.

Versatile CB Art Maulet asked for his release from the Steelers, and it was granted, source confirms. Maulet spent the last two seasons in Pittsburgh — played in 33 games with 8 starts — and was especially productive in 2022 with 59 tackles, 2 sacks and an interception.

https://twitter.com/bepryor/status/1656326663498612737

SteelerOfDeVille
05-10-2023, 04:24 PM
Meh..

The team has brought in 4 new CB (2 FA in Peterson and Sullivan, 2 drafted in JPJ and Cory Trice), one of whom played nickel CB as a better cover guy than Maulet (which didn't take much). I don't want a guy who doesn't want to compete. BUH BYE.

Moreover, I don't understand posts that are like, "OMG we lost our weakest link, what are we gonna do?" Maulet was among the worst nickel CB in the league in coverage.

Frankly, now that they have over $7mil in cap room, I'm hoping they use that cap to sign the both the LB that have been tossed out (Van Noy and Rashaan Evans)

whisper
05-10-2023, 08:04 PM
Meh..

The team has brought in 4 new CB (2 FA in Peterson and Sullivan, 2 drafted in JPJ and Cory Trice), one of whom played nickel CB as a better cover guy than Maulet (which didn't take much). I don't want a guy who doesn't want to compete. BUH BYE.

Moreover, I don't understand posts that are like, "OMG we lost our weakest link, what are we gonna do?" Maulet was among the worst nickel CB in the league in coverage.

Frankly, now that they have over $7mil in cap room, I'm hoping they use that cap to sign the both the LB that have been tossed out (Van Noy and Rashaan Evans)

You really are missing the point. IF Maulet stunk so badly, why was he still on the roster? If he didn't, why did they let him just quit? Which one was it? Take your pick. It can't be both. Manage your gad damn roster, don't have it manage you.

feltdizz
05-10-2023, 08:08 PM
You really are missing the point. IF Maulet stunk so badly, why was he still on the roster? If he didn't, why did they let him just quit? Which one was it? Take your pick. It can't be both. Manage your gad damn roster, don't have it manage you.

what are you talking about? Acquiring more talent IS managing the roster.

Injuries happen, competition is a good thing and Maulet decided he didn’t want to compete at the rate he was being paid.

whisper
05-10-2023, 08:19 PM
what are you talking about? Acquiring more talent IS managing the roster.

Injuries happen, competition is a good thing and Maulet decided he didn’t want to compete at the rate he was being paid.

Fine, but how do you GO ABOUT doing that? Seems pretty @ss backwards to me.

Buzz
05-10-2023, 08:38 PM
Now it makes more sense why they signed Sullivan

the bad news is, if Sullivan is better than Maulet, it's barely so

I know some have talked about Peterson, Pierre, Kazee, Witherspoon or Trice moving to slot corner, but I tend to think it will be Sullivan or some other FA they bring in

feltdizz
05-10-2023, 08:58 PM
Fine, but how do you GO ABOUT doing that? Seems pretty @ss backwards to me.

What do you mean? Khan and Weidl acquired more CB's. Maulet wanted more money to compete for his spot and the Steelers refused.

I really don't see the problem, I was wondering about it at first until someone pointed out all the DB's we have brought in.

Players are released or ask for their release all the time.

Northern_Blitz
05-10-2023, 09:54 PM
Anyone want to try to translate what the heck this means (I assume "are" = "or")?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fvx1MhxWIAADE92.jpg:large

If this was a couple seasons ago, I'd assume it was vaccine related. But I can't imagine that's an issue this late in the game.

Buzz
05-10-2023, 11:25 PM
Sylvanta Oliver, an undrafted FA out of Memphis, might have a shot at eventually taking over the slot corner position. Of course, it's a longshot, but we've had UDFAs man that position recently.

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/05/three-players-invited-to-steelers-rookie-minicamp-who-could-earn-a-roster-spot/

feltdizz
05-10-2023, 11:39 PM
Anyone want to try to translate what the heck this means (I assume "are" = "or")?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fvx1MhxWIAADE92.jpg:large

If this was a couple seasons ago, I'd assume it was vaccine related. But I can't imagine that's an issue this late in the game.

believes he is worth more than the team thinks he is worth.

LAMBERT72
05-11-2023, 05:21 AM
Calm down, we haven't cut the GOAT or our best secondary player. He can be easily replaced.

In Khan I trust :tt1

Northern_Blitz
05-11-2023, 07:01 AM
believes he is worth more than the team thinks he is worth.

It's just really weird because he was already under contract. So he and the team already agreed on what his play was worth.

feltdizz
05-11-2023, 07:07 AM
It's just really weird because he was already under contract. So he and the team already agreed on what his play was worth.

players ask for new contracts all the time.

Oviedo
05-11-2023, 08:35 AM
Calm down, we haven't cut the GOAT or our best secondary player. He can be easily replaced.

This...another attempt to create a negative out of nothing. Maulet=replaceable carbon unit

Buzz
05-11-2023, 09:01 AM
there's no doubt Maulet is replaceable

the question is, will the Steelers do so in a way that maintains/upgrades the position this season

I don't think it should be too hard to accomplish that, but we'll find out before long

feltdizz
05-11-2023, 09:18 AM

acting like Maulet was a pro bowler and the key to our defense.

Fans want to team to upgrade and when we release someone after adding better players its an issue? lmao

whisper
05-11-2023, 11:37 AM

It's just more evidence of Tomlin's "loosey goosey" approach to things. Just like the practice habits players bitch about. "Unbuttoned" is not a good feel. That's what Cool Shades brings though.

feltdizz
05-11-2023, 11:56 AM
It's just more evidence of Tomlin's "loosey goosey" approach to things. Just like the practice habits players bitch about. "Unbuttoned" is not a good feel. That's what Cool Shades brings though.

Its all Tomlin’s fault that Khan and Weidl are the new GM duo and decided to upgrade the position.

How dare we try to get better.

whisper
05-11-2023, 12:50 PM
acting like Maulet was a pro bowler and the key to our defense.

Fans want to team to upgrade and when we release someone after adding better players its an issue? lmao

That's not how it went down, and if you were an honest person you'd admit it. But alas, you are intellectually dishonest.

NorthCoast
05-11-2023, 12:58 PM
That's not how it went down, and if you were an honest person you'd admit it. But alas, you are intellectually dishonest.

How it went down is Maulet wanted more money than the team thought he was worth.

Bye bye

feltdizz
05-11-2023, 01:23 PM

How did it go down Whisper? Please tell us?

We need all the details and not the loosy goosy Shades play by play.

Tell us all what happened?

feltdizz
05-11-2023, 01:24 PM
How it went down is Maulet wanted more money than the team thought he was worth.

Bye bye

This is more than likely what happened.

I also wonder if we asked him to take a haircut if he wanted to stick around.

whisper
05-11-2023, 01:26 PM
How did it go down Whisper? Please tell us?

We need all the details and not the loosy goosy Shades play by play.

Tell us all what happened?

You totally lack the ability to read between the lines in life. It's OK.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-11-2023, 01:29 PM
they just brought in 4 new CB in the last few weeks - you are kinda MAKING the point... they don't bring in that many guys at your position if they felt comfortable.

So if you ask for more money, then asked to be released? Sure.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-11-2023, 01:35 PM
What do you mean? Khan and Weidl acquired more CB's. Maulet wanted more money to compete for his spot and the Steelers refused.

I really don't see the problem, I was wondering about it at first until someone pointed out all the DB's we have brought in.

Players are released or ask for their release all the time.
THIS... you were going to COMPETE for a spot, it wasn't even guaranteed. If they gave him a raise to COMPETE for a spot? Then THAT would have been a "negative whisper thread" that would actually make sense.

NorthCoast
05-11-2023, 03:16 PM
THIS... you were going to COMPETE for a spot, it wasn't even guaranteed. If they gave him a raise to COMPETE for a spot? Then THAT would have been a "negative whisper thread" that would actually make sense.Spot on DeVille. Why he is upset that the Steelers let their 4th ranked CB walk is just an odd take. But I guess he felt successful in spinning it into some bizarre negative against MT.

feltdizz
05-11-2023, 03:26 PM
You totally lack the ability to read between the lines in life. It's OK.

what is in between the lines? Tomlin?s fault?

dude.. you aren?t making any sense.

We brought in more competition and he apparently didn?t want to compete or felt like asking for more money was the easiest way to find out his spot was up for grabs.

feltdizz
05-11-2023, 03:27 PM
Spot on DeVille. Why he is upset that the Steelers let their 4th ranked CB walk is just an odd take. But I guess he felt successful in spinning it into some bizarre negative against MT.

he is trying to make up for lost time by bashing anything that hits the news.

I think he is trying to imply Tomlin ran Maulet out of town.. in May

whisper
05-11-2023, 05:56 PM
he is trying to make up for lost time by bashing anything that hits the news.

I think he is trying to imply Tomlin ran Maulet out of town.. in May

No reason to "imply" anything. What happened is obvious. "Loosey, goosey" is the way the witch walks. More "loosey goosey."

LPMAN
05-11-2023, 06:50 PM
not upset Maulet is gone , he wasn't very good...now i was upset we let Mike Hilton get away!

Buzz
05-11-2023, 07:00 PM
Well, today Omar stated Chandon Sullivan and Duke Dawson (didn't even know he was on the team) are the frontrunners to take over the slot corner position.

Ugh.

Hopefully a couple of these UDFA options get a fair shake

whisper
05-11-2023, 07:01 PM
what is in between the lines? Tomlin?s fault?

dude.. you aren?t making any sense.

We brought in more competition and he apparently didn?t want to compete or felt like asking for more money was the easiest way to find out his spot was up for grabs.

I already told you: I can't help you.

Captain Lemming
05-12-2023, 01:40 AM
You really are missing the point. IF Maulet stunk so badly, why was he still on the roster?

Because at this time in the season YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO have TONS OF PLAYERS on the roster who will not make the team.

Poutrage because we cut a CORNERBACK who is bad in COVERAGE seems a little misplaced.

When we signed the free agent slot corner (who I also doubt makes the roster) the writing was on the wall and Maulet was given a chance to pursue other employment options.

Its not that complicated.

Captain Lemming
05-12-2023, 01:42 AM
No reason to "imply" anything. What happened is obvious. "Loosey, goosey" is the way the witch walks. More "loosey goosey."

Sometimes I think we don’t speak the same language dude. :)

Captain Lemming
05-12-2023, 01:47 AM
You really are missing the point. IF Maulet stunk so badly, why was he still on the roster?

Because at this time in the season YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO have TONS OF PLAYERS on the roster who will not make the team.

Poutrage because we cut a CORNERBACK who is bad in COVERAGE seems a little misplaced.

When we signed the free agent slot corner (who I also doubt makes the roster) the writing was on the wall and Maulet was given a chance to pursue other employment options.

Its not that complicated.

whisper
05-12-2023, 09:51 AM
Sometimes I think we don’t speak the same language dude. :)

"Loosey goosey" is how we run things, including practices. Ask our QB.