PDA

View Full Version : The trade offer Khan did to take

Joel Buchsbaum
05-10-2023, 10:07 AM
What would the Steelers get in a trade for pick #32 overall? So we could have had the 41st and the 72nds pick PLUS a 3rd rounder in 2024 for giving up our 32nd and say 93rd?
Who knows, if two teams wanted Levis we could milk Tennessee for more. Don't get me wrong I like Porter, but for two 3rd round picks to move down a few spots in round two. Hmmmm...

I like to see all the deals that were on the table. Did the media report any? In the end it was Khan's call.

The Titans selected Kentucky quarterback Will Levis with the 33rd overall pick of the 2023 NFL Draft on Friday. Tennessee sent the 41st and 72nd picks, plus a 2024 third-round selection, to Arizona to move up to No. 33, adding the 81st pick in the deal.

LAMBERT72
05-10-2023, 10:14 AM
With all my respect I prefer what we did... Solid player, almost from the house, a position of urgent need and wanting to show that he had to be chosen in the first round.

In Khan I trust.;-)

Buzz
05-10-2023, 10:29 AM
We needed a top-tier CB. A lot slimmer chance you get one at #41. It was the right choice to keep #32 and draft Porter. IMO.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-10-2023, 10:57 AM
Next year 3rd = This year 4th as far as the value scale is concerned.

Hard pass if all that means is picking up a next year 3rd and missing out on your guy.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-10-2023, 12:10 PM
Honestly, I was more intrigued by seeing Kelee Ringo go in the 4th in a similar fashion on day 3 after starting this offseason as a Day 1 prospect.

Seems they changed their minds on him - even the pre-draft visit was canceled. Was there a story that I missed?

NorthCoast
05-10-2023, 12:28 PM
We needed a top-tier CB. A lot slimmer chance you get one at #41. It was the right choice to keep #32 and draft Porter. IMO.I think it was a forgone conclusion the Steelers were gonna take a CB in the draft. And the stats show that if you don't take one in the first, you may as well wait for the 3rd or later rounds given historical success rates. So I guess you can consider Porter a first rounder at pick #32.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-10-2023, 03:57 PM
I think it was a forgone conclusion the Steelers were gonna take a CB in the draft. And the stats show that if you don't take one in the first, you may as well wait for the 3rd or later rounds given historical success rates. So I guess you can consider Porter a first rounder at pick #32.
so funny how we look at stats vs individuals.

I mean... stats probably don't favor 7th rounders, so why not just trade them all away... lol

Steel Maniac
05-10-2023, 04:18 PM
We needed a top-tier CB. A lot slimmer chance you get one at #41. It was the right choice to keep #32 and draft Porter. IMO.

Yeah...I just hope Porter pans out. I'm nervous about him.

hawaiiansteel
05-10-2023, 04:22 PM

Hard pass if all that means is picking up a next year 3rd and missing out on your guy.

agree 100%!

Iron City Inc.
05-10-2023, 05:21 PM
Honestly, I was more intrigued by seeing Kelee Ringo go in the 4th in a similar fashion on day 3 after starting this offseason as a Day 1 prospect.

Seems they changed their minds on him - even the pre-draft visit was canceled. Was there a story that I missed?

Whoever watched Georgia and knows football knows Ringo just allows to much separation in coverage. He is big , fast and tackles well enough. I wrote he likely will be a safety on Sundays. There I believe he could be vg. That is why he fell in the draft. Could be a good safety with coverage limitations.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-10-2023, 06:04 PM
Whoever watched Georgia and knows football knows Ringo just allows to much separation in coverage. He is big , fast and tackles well enough. I wrote he likely will be a safety on Sundays. There I believe he could be vg. That is why he fell in the draft. Could be a good safety with coverage limitations.
Agreed.
He does allow big cushions and doesn't transition well considering the size of the cushions. Although he's straight line fast, he also has some hip tightness, from what I've read.
Given that he does like to tackle, he might have been a really good play at SS - he'd be much better covering TE, IMO.

papillon
05-10-2023, 10:31 PM
Yeah...I just hope Porter pans out. I'm nervous about him.

I'm nervous about every draft pick, they're young and unproven. Until they get in a game and/or scrimmage and perform well, there's always a chance that they don't pan out. I loved this draft especially the tight end that blocks like a tackle and can run routes and catch. But, relying on any of these picks to step in and be ballers in year one is scary but that's what the Steelers need from at least 2 of them, Jones and Porter, to be competitive and make the playoffs. I'm nervous, not because the draft sucked but because we need rookies to be good on day one or damn near day one.

Pappy

Blitzer
05-10-2023, 11:09 PM
I'm nervous about every draft pick, they're young and unproven. Until they get in a game and/or scrimmage and perform well, there's always a chance that they don't pan out. I loved this draft especially the tight end that blocks like a tackle and can run routes and catch. But, relying on any of these picks to step in and be ballers in year one is scary but that's what the Steelers need from at least 2 of them, Jones and Porter, to be competitive and make the playoffs. I'm nervous, not because the draft sucked but because we need rookies to be good on day one or damn near day one.

Pappy

you are correct we need 2-3 rookies to contribute immediately if not start. Almost crazy thought to long term Steeler fans. Remember Troy his rookie year? 1st round draft pick that was traded up for but still not anointed the starter.

Rookies never started back in the day. But I think it is a league wide deal that they now do. not just the Steelers.

LAMBERT72
05-11-2023, 05:18 AM

Pappy

Absolutely agree...

I know it's too soon and I'm just speculating, but it will be interesting to see what the Steelers do with Pat Freirmuth if Darnell Washington becomes a great player.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-11-2023, 05:47 AM

Pappy

I'd be patient with Porter more so than the other rookies simply because he is a corner back in the NFL . This is not a position that produces quickly. He was dominant is play in a rather narrow role in college. I did not see he covering certain routes much. And he was handsy. Don't get me wrong he is talented , but you can get away with his play especially at home with big ten officials. The NFL is a different place. I do like his length and ability to knock away the football. He orders good speed, but average type of quickness. A big physical corner.

NorthCoast
05-11-2023, 07:02 AM
you are correct we need 2-3 rookies to contribute immediately if not start. Almost crazy thought to long term Steeler fans. Remember Troy his rookie year? 1st round draft pick that was traded up for but still not anointed the starter.

Rookies never started back in the day. But I think it is a league wide deal that they now do. not just the Steelers.Agree 100%. Two starters from any draft would be considered a good draft. Three starters would be an excellent draft. But even first round picks fail at a rate >50% (ref. the number of picks that did not have their 5th yr option picked up this year).

Fingers crossed that the revamped Steelers scouting dept did their homework and found the right players.

whisper
05-11-2023, 01:59 PM
Agree 100%. Two starters from any draft would be considered a good draft. Three starters would be an excellent draft. But even first round picks fail at a rate >50% (ref. the number of picks that did not have their 5th yr option picked up this year).

Fingers crossed that the revamped Steelers scouting dept did their homework and found the right players.

It would be hard to not improve over the last guys; look at the 10-year history of drafting. Not the best.

Captain Lemming
05-11-2023, 10:06 PM
Absolutely agree...

I know it's too soon and I'm just speculating, but it will be interesting to see what the Steelers do with Pat Freirmuth if Darnell Washington becomes a great player.

I’d still like the one two punch. Base 12… I’m about that.

Come contract time for PF it might matter though.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-12-2023, 06:02 AM

Khan said there were multiple team giving him calls, presumably to trade up for Levis. I think one of them offered more than a 3rd round picking to swap places in round two. Did we pass on a 1st for next year, or a 3rd and multiple draft picks to stay put and select Porter? We don't know as fans. I hope the Steelers worked those phones. Perhaps one day there will be a public draft portal where all team MUST enter proposed trades in a public forum during draft day. It would make things very interesting for the fans!

I like Porter but what did we turn down to select him? Next years 1st and a 3rd to exchange draft picks in round two? I take that deal.

whisper
05-12-2023, 10:09 AM
I'd be patient with Porter more so than the other rookies simply because he is a corner back in the NFL . This is not a position that produces quickly. He was dominant is play in a rather narrow role in college. I did not see he covering certain routes much. And he was handsy. Don't get me wrong he is talented , but you can get away with his play especially at home with big ten officials. The NFL is a different place. I do like his length and ability to knock away the football. He orders good speed, but average type of quickness. A big physical corner.

Sauce Gardner disagrees.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-12-2023, 10:27 AM
Khan said there were multiple team giving him calls, presumably to trade up for Levis. I think one of them offered more than a 3rd round picking to swap places in round two. Did we pass on a 1st for next year, or a 3rd and multiple draft picks to stay put and select Porter? We don't know as fans. I hope the Steelers worked those phones. Perhaps one day there will be a public draft portal where all team MUST enter proposed trades in a public forum during draft day. It would make things very interesting for the fans!

I like Porter but what did we turn down to select him? Next years 1st and a 3rd to exchange draft picks in round two? I take that deal.
If you're going to make up offers that he turned down, why not just say he passed on firsts for the next 5 seasons?

Captain Lemming
05-12-2023, 10:36 AM

While we don’t KNOW what was offered, I’d suggest your high end speculation is WAY over the top.

They were excited to have the leverage and listened to offers would suggest that an outrageously stupid offer would be accepted.

Biggest reason to pretty much KNOW this was not offered?

If Levis was THAT hot a property, he would have gone in the first.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-12-2023, 10:40 AM
As it turned out, no other CB was taken between Porter and pick #41. If Khan/Weidl (yes, I include them both) truly thought that JPJ was their one guy, then good move getting him at 32. If they were afraid that there would be a run on DBs and would have been almost as happy with Brents/Branch/Stevenson etc. then the lack of gamble failed.

Other than that, I trust their personnel acumen more than anyone on this board (or twitter, or the internet at large) so let's stop living in the past and get excited for the young energy that this team will bring, and see if they are on the right path towards contending in the near future.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-12-2023, 10:44 AM
While we don?t KNOW what was offered, I?d suggest your high end speculation is WAY over the top.

They were excited to have the leverage and listened to offers would suggest that an outrageously stupid offer would be accepted.

EXACTLY... at the absolute minimum, you trade back to the end of the 1st like the Ravens did with Lamar to secure the additional year of control over his contract.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-12-2023, 12:19 PM
As it turned out, no other CB was taken between Porter and pick #41. If Khan/Weidl (yes, I include them both) truly thought that JPJ was their one guy, then good move getting him at 32. If they were afraid that there would be a run on DBs and would have been almost as happy with Brents/Branch/Stevenson etc. then the lack of gamble failed.

Other than that, I trust their personnel acumen more than anyone on this board (or twitter, or the internet at large) so let's stop living in the past and get excited for the young energy that this team will bring, and see if they are on the right path towards contending in the near future.
I agree with your first sentence of your first paragraph. I don't buy the "no other __ was taken" argument. It assumes all players are equal and that through all the scouting, the team couldn't determine if a player that is better than the others - if that's the case, fire your scouts. Porter was considered a 1st rounder by many. Most of those other guys were not.

People said as much for KP last year - I tend to think that based on results, he deserved to be 2-3 rounds ahead of Malik Willis and scouts seem to have done their job.

Now you can do all your scouting and guys just don't perform, but that's a different issue. There's always guys who overperform their selection because mental toughness and football instincts can't be measured.

Northern_Blitz
05-12-2023, 12:32 PM
If you're going to make up offers that he turned down, why not just say he passed on firsts for the next 5 seasons?

I think it's a pretty safe assumption to think that whoever picked after us took the best deal that was offered. And since they were trading up for the same player, it seems pretty obvious that was the deal we turned down.

Northern_Blitz
05-12-2023, 12:34 PM
I agree with your first sentence of your first paragraph. I don't buy the "no other __ was taken" argument. It assumes all players are equal and that through all the scouting, the team couldn't determine if a player that is better than the others - if that's the case, fire your scouts. Porter was considered a 1st rounder by many. Most of those other guys were not.

People said as much for KP last year - I tend to think that based on results, he deserved to be 2-3 rounds ahead of Malik Willis and scouts seem to have done their job.

Now you can do all your scouting and guys just don't perform, but that's a different issue. There's always guys who overperform their selection because mental toughness and football instincts can't be measured.

I agree with this for the same reasons.

Pickett almost certainly wouldn't have fallen as far as the 3rd if we didn't pick him.

I think it's less certain with Porter, but who knows.

If he's the best guy on your board and you don't have enough guys you want between him and the pick you'd get in the trade. You happily take the guy.

Hopefully it works out. Would be nice to have an above average CB.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-12-2023, 12:41 PM
I think it's a pretty safe assumption to think that whoever picked after us took the best deal that was offered. And since they were trading up for the same player, it seems pretty obvious that was the deal we turned down.
IKR... it's obvious to most

Joel Buchsbaum
05-12-2023, 01:13 PM
While we don’t KNOW what was offered, I’d suggest your high end speculation is WAY over the top.

Some one should ask Khan that question. What was the best offer a 1st, or a second next year? Teams that pick between 24-31 generally do not draft QB in round one so Levis did not to go there. He was in fact HOT property with the 33rd overall pick in the 2023 draft. Indeed some traded up for him. I suspect the Titans were not our best offer,

Northern_Blitz
05-12-2023, 03:02 PM
Some one should ask Khan that question. What was the best offer a 1st, or a second next year? Teams that pick between 24-31 generally do not draft QB in round one so Levis did not to go there. He was in fact HOT property with the 33rd overall pick in the 2023 draft. Indeed some traded up for him. I suspect the Titans were not our best offer,

While someone could certainly ask, I think it would be foolish for a GM to answer this kind of question.

I assume that trade talks are generally considered to be "off the record" and blabbing details to the media seems like a poor way to foster relationships that lead to future trades.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-12-2023, 04:15 PM

I agree that not each player at a position is equal. My post was asking how close to JPJ the Steelers ranked the next group of CBs. If they had them close, then they might have been okay with Brents/Cam Smith/Stevenson and an extra third this year and next. If the team would have been okay with one of the others then they lost out by not gambling. If they had Porter well above the others then they made the move they had to by staying at 32 and picking him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-12-2023, 04:18 PM

Agreed. The Steelers probably got that call the night before. Once turned down, and once Levis was still there, the same calls went out to Arizona.

NJ-STEELER
05-12-2023, 10:51 PM
there were reports of trade offers in the late 1st round. but philly wasn't moving with nolan there and kc liked their guy too and didn't want to drop too far down (40 ish)

Blitzer
05-12-2023, 11:05 PM
Based on how then the Steelers are at CB, It was smart to hold steady and get a quality CB.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-14-2023, 11:40 PM
again, it's pretty obvious that the best offer was very similar (if not exactly the same) as what the very next team got.

Pick 42 (2nd rounder), 72 (3rd rounder) and a 2024 3rd rounder for pick 33 and 81 (which likely would have been 32 and 93).

You miss out on Porter and Washington - you come away with say Julian Brents and Dorian Williams (or some ILB because they just missed the run).

For your troubles, ya get a 3rd rounder next year.

I admit that I'd probably rather have Williams than Washington. So, Brents v Porter would really be the determining factor