PDA

View Full Version : Additions between now and training camp?

Oviedo
05-08-2023, 08:53 AM
Curious on some folks thoughts on where we still need to add between now and training camp. I think the team did a great job in free agency and the draft and we are pretty solid across the board.

I did read over the weekend that someone speculated a guy like Van Noy at OLB would be a possible add.

I really can't think of another high value add unless its a guy like the recently released Center form the Commanders...Chase Roullier

Blitzer
05-08-2023, 09:33 AM
I could definitely see them adding a vet OLB. they seem to almost every year. I think it depends on who gets cut from other teams

feltdizz
05-08-2023, 09:50 AM
I could definitely see them adding a vet OLB. they seem to almost every year. I think it depends on who gets cut from other teams

vet OLB’s haven’t mixed well with out team lately..

maybe sign a FA who is happy to get any playing time vs demanding it or pouting and feeling like a hostage?

Buzz
05-08-2023, 10:11 AM

maybe sign a FA who is happy to get any playing time vs demanding it or pouting and feeling like a hostage?
$$$$$$

and maybe be straight up with them when you sign them about the possibility they may not get much playing time

SteelerOfDeVille
05-08-2023, 10:12 AM
Curious on some folks thoughts on where we still need to add between now and training camp. I think the team did a great job in free agency and the draft and we are pretty solid across the board.

I did read over the weekend that someone speculated a guy like Van Noy at OLB would be a possible add.

I really can't think of another high value add unless its a guy like the recently released Center form the Commanders...Chase Roullier
I don't know if it's those specific guys, but I do imagine those specific positions will be targeted. For the upcoming FA/Cut period, this is what I can see being on the short list:

OLB - while we have high hopes for Herbig as a backup, you want a veteran that will solidify that position. I also don't think they want to see Leal spending time at OLB this season. It would be smart to let him stay at DE so he can develop at a single position.

C - it's possible, but I think they'll stay as they are, unless they find a guy who is well above average. They have a handful of guys who can play C (in addition to the rookies, throw Daniels in the mix). I do think C will be on the short-list next season as Cole enters his final year. I see this as a day-two 2024 draft target, so I hope it's a good class.

ILB - I could see if a fast, coverage ILB is available, this is a possibility. I really think the team expected to get one where they drafted Washington, but the run had just happened with 4 small/fast ILB all going in the 7 picks before. Based on pre-draft meetings and talk, my money was on Dorian Williams. I'd love to kick the tires on Zach Cunningham and see what that injury prognosis is. As it stands, ILB is likely a day one/two draft target next season

SS - not likely, BUT given Kazee and Neal both are on shorter term deals, if a guy pops up that is young I could see them taking a swing

SteelerOfDeVille
05-08-2023, 10:14 AM

Except TJ and Highsmith are established now. You KNOW your role when you come in.
If you're a vet and you show up when Bud leaves, you think you have a chance to be that guy...
If you show up when TJ and Highsmith are there, you know your role.
I have zero concerns about a vet coming in at the moment

NorthCoast
05-08-2023, 10:35 AM
Except TJ and Highsmith are established now. You KNOW your role when you come in.
If you're a vet and you show up when Bud leaves, you think you have a chance to be that guy...
If you show up when TJ and Highsmith are there, you know your role.
I have zero concerns about a vet coming in at the momentI agree. There shouldn't be much question. It will be a fill-in job. I mentioned Van Noy in another thread. Maybe he thinks he can still be a starter but his snaps the last 3 yrs have declined for whatever reason. Though given Watt's and Highsmith injury history I could see him starting a handful of games this year.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-08-2023, 10:53 AM
I agree. There shouldn't be much question. It will be a fill-in job. I mentioned Van Noy in another thread. Maybe he thinks he can still be a starter but his snaps the last 3 yrs have declined for whatever reason. Though given Watt's and Highsmith injury history I could see him starting a handful of games this year.
and THAT is what you're selling to a vet... you're rotational, but may start in the event of injury

feltdizz
05-08-2023, 11:01 AM
and THAT is what you're selling to a vet... you're rotational, but may start in the event of injury

you think Ingram was told he had a chance to start?

what happens is these vets get a taste when an OLB goes down and once they go back to the bench when the starter returns they go through withdrawal.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-08-2023, 11:11 AM
you think Ingram was told he had a chance to start?

what happens is these vets get a taste when an OLB goes down and once they go back to the bench when the starter returns they go through withdrawal.
Ingram saw Bud go out the door.

Whether he was told it or not, he *thought* he had a chance to start by beating out Highsmith. And Tomlin said as much on his way out the door, that he "thought" he was better than Highsmith, but he was not.

Iron City Inc.
05-08-2023, 12:15 PM
Leonard Floyd is 30. He is solid against the run. He was a good pass rusher when he was young now not so much but you can do worse.
I wouldn't want him starting but as a under 20 reps a game 2nd stringer he may be worth a shot.
Always about the $$$$$$$ and we likely get zero with him on special teams but it may still be worth a look. At 6 5 240 he fits the narrative.

NorthCoast
05-08-2023, 12:52 PM
Leonard Floyd is 30. He is solid against the run. He was a good pass rusher when he was young now not so much but you can do worse.
I wouldn't want him starting but as a under 20 reps a game 2nd stringer he may be worth a shot.
Always about the $$$$$$$ and we likely get zero with him on special teams but it may still be worth a look. At 6 5 240 he fits the narrative.I just checked his contract status. Rams have a $19M dead cap with him this year. Ouch!

Steel Maniac
05-08-2023, 01:09 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Northern_Blitz
05-08-2023, 01:17 PM
I just checked his contract status. Rams have a $19M dead cap with him this year. Ouch!

Imagine if they didn't win the SB? They absolutely torched their mid-term future. But it worked out for them.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-08-2023, 06:31 PM
$$$$$$

and maybe be straight up with them when you sign them about the possibility they may not get much playing time

I can't see the team bringing in Ingram and him thinking he had a chance to get more PT than he got. I get the Deebo issue, but Ingram has to be on him. The fact that he hasn't stuck with any team since is an indicator to me that he might not be the greatest of characters.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-08-2023, 07:29 PM
We have 5 spots open until we hit the roster maximum of 90.