PDA

View Full Version : The importance of free rookie free agents

Joel Buchsbaum
05-06-2023, 06:28 AM
Maybe fans should wake up. There are nearly 500 undrafted players currently in the NFL. Did you know that about one in six starters was an undrafted rookie? Did you know that the NFL is made up of roughly 30% of un drafted players and even higher % when you factor in 5th, 6th or 7th round picks. The economics for players all 1,696 is outstanding even for to men who make the league minimum. This is a reason why so may players in the college game are give pro football which included all professional leagues a go. The Steelers are finally branching out from local college rookie free agents pool. About time. We have a good 2023 rookie free agent class in my opinion. 2022 brought us the very productive RB Warren. This year will give us?

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2022/value-undrafted-free-agents

LAMBERT72
05-08-2023, 03:09 AM
Maybe fans should wake up. There are nearly 500 undrafted players currently in the NFL. Did you know that about one in six starters was an undrafted rookie? Did you know that the NFL is made up of roughly 30% of un drafted players and even higher % when you factor in 5th, 6th or 7th round picks. The economics for players all 1,696 is outstanding even for to men who make the league minimum. This is a reason why so may players in the college game are give pro football which included all professional leagues a go. The Steelers are finally branching out from local college rookie free agents pool. About time. We have a good 2023 rookie free agent class in my opinion. 2022 brought us the very productive RB Warren. This year will give us?

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2022/value-undrafted-free-agents

Greeat post.

I don't think there is a very important qualitative leap between a player took in the 6th or 7th round and one who has not been selected.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-08-2023, 05:04 AM
Greeat post.

I don't think there is a very important qualitative leap between a player took in the 6th or 7th round and one who has not been selected.

Thanks. No, there is not much difference between of 6th and 7th round pick and a player who's not selected and this year if was a very deep pool. I think we will see more in 2024.

NorthCoast
05-08-2023, 06:46 AM
So about 17% of starters slipped through the draft process, or for a 22 man roster that is about 3 or 4 undrafted players. This seems about right for such an inexact screening method. NFL teams get it mostly right but there are always exceptions with players that rise to the challenge. And sometimes it simply comes down to opportunity.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-08-2023, 07:01 AM
So about 17% of starters slipped through the draft process, or for a 22 man roster that is about 3 or 4 undrafted players. This seems about right for such an inexact screening method. NFL teams get it mostly right but there are always exceptions with players that rise to the challenge. And sometimes it simply comes down to opportunity.

I come up with nearly 29% of the players were un-drafted or drafted in rounds 5 through 7.

500 players divided by 1,693 players = 29.5%

The NFL roster is 53 men. There is a lot of opportunity and rookie free agents make up a big piece of the pie.

NorthCoast
05-08-2023, 07:22 AM
I come up with nearly 29% of the players were un-drafted or drafted in rounds 5 through 7.

500 players divided by 1,693 players = 29.5%

The NFL roster is 53 men. There is a lot of opportunity and rookie free agents make up a big piece of the pie.Not sure why you are including rounds 5 to 7 in with undrafted players.

Yes, the roster is 53 players but I was referring to your statement about undrafted 'starters'.

Oviedo
05-08-2023, 07:55 AM
Good post. Good example of how there should be a lot less angst over the team not drafting "my guy." There is talent available lots of different ways

Look at a guy like Kurt Warner...Hall of Famer Kurt Warner

Joel Buchsbaum
05-08-2023, 08:15 AM
Good post. Good example of how there should be a lot less angst over the team not drafting "my guy." There is talent available lots of different ways

IMO, the Steeler have upped their game with rookie free agents and broaden their search recently! It is as if we are giving the area more focus now, I applaud such focus.

The Steelers don't have to draft my guy as long as there reasoning is sound and the don't reach / give up a lot of draft capital ( Bush and Edwards ) I am happy.

Oviedo
05-08-2023, 08:49 AM
IMO, the Steeler have upped their game with rookie free agents and broaden their search recently! It is as if we are giving the area more focus now, I applaud such focus.

The Steelers don't have to draft my guy as long as there reasoning is sound and the don't reach / give up a lot of draft capital ( Bush and Edwards ) I am happy.

Khan and Weidl influence seen again...probably more the latter

SteelerOfDeVille
05-08-2023, 09:13 AM

Pretty sure James Harrison was undrafted...

For the player, it's almost better to be a UDFA than a 7th rounder - because they can sign with a team where they believe they have a chance to actually make the roster

NorthCoast
05-08-2023, 09:26 AM

It's both good and bad. Steeler rookie FAs are making the team because their drafts haven't been stellar lately.
But they have a history of finding good starters in FA. Fast Willie, Donnie Shell come to mind.

flippy
05-08-2023, 09:34 AM
Interesting stat that the UDFAs make up 1 of 6 players in the NFL.

Is that true of the Steelers?

I cannot find a list of current players on the roster who were not drafted. It is not easy to figure out either because so many guys make there way here from other teams.

feltdizz
05-08-2023, 09:38 AM
Not sure why you are including rounds 5 to 7 in with undrafted players.

Yes, the roster is 53 players but I was referring to your statement about undrafted 'starters'.

yeah.. sure the numbers change if you add drafted players in the 5th to 7th rd.

Why include drafted players in a discussion about undrafted players?

Regardless, I think all team do a good job trying to find value in UDFA?s.

Blitzer
05-08-2023, 09:45 AM
I think the Steelers have hit on so many undrafted players over the years that the common fan is well aware of their contributions.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-08-2023, 09:48 AM
It's both good and bad. Steeler rookie FAs are making the team because their drafts haven't been stellar lately.
But they have a history of finding good starters in FA. Fast Willie, Donnie Shell come to mind.

Right. And we have room to sign 5 more free agents. We have a good free agent class in 2023. Based on his highlight clips and need for a blocking FB, I think rookie free agent Monte Pottebaum will make this team! And perhaps rookie free agent QB Tanner Morgan because the 3rd QB spot is open. But I want to see the Steelers sign rookie free agent QB Hunter Johnson, a former 5 star QB with a good arm and who has real upside to compete for the 3rd QB spot. Come on Steelers, we have room for 5 more rookie free agents.

https://www.steelers.com/news/steelers-agree-to-terms-with-undrafted-free-agents

feltdizz
05-08-2023, 11:47 AM
I think the Steelers have hit on so many undrafted players over the years that the common fan is well aware of their contributions.

I feel like finding undrafted gems has been a source of pride for the org for years..

and every year fans pick a camp hero.

Captain Lemming
05-08-2023, 12:40 PM

While I agree with the overall premise, I don?t know that we have been particularly bad at finding quality undrafted free agents.

I might be wrong, do we have numbers?

hackjam
05-08-2023, 01:29 PM

Is that 1 in 6 number including punters, kickers, and long snappers?

SteelerOfDeVille
05-08-2023, 01:45 PM
Is that 1 in 6 number including punters, kickers, and long snappers?
I had the same thought... with a 53 man roster, you need about 9 players, but 3 of them are likely ST...

With the Steelers, I glanced at last year's roster, there looks like 10+ over and above the ST players (highlighted by Spillane, Warren, Levi Wallace, Jamir Jones, Maulet, Steve Sims, James Pierre, Gunner)

Joel Buchsbaum
05-08-2023, 03:24 PM
I had the same thought... with a 53 man roster, you need about 9 players, but 3 of them are likely ST...

With the Steelers, I glanced at last year's roster, there looks like 10+ over and above the ST players (highlighted by Spillane, Warren, Levi Wallace, Jamir Jones, Maulet, Steve Sims, James Pierre, Gunner)

Yep. They are a significant piece of the pie. Not Parker or Harrison on the team last year. If it makes you fell better they all would have been 12 round picks! Remember those days?

Northern_Blitz
05-09-2023, 04:54 AM
1 in 6 starters is higher than I thought it would be. That's almost 4 per team. I'd have guessed half that many starters... Maybe fewer

I don't understand how he gets to 6% of all starters. The number of UDFAs starting 8+ games in a year is pretty low. Not sure if he's weighting by games started? Does a guy like Purdy count as a startimg player last year?

I think I'd trust the number more of it was percentage of starts. I don't know what percentage of starters really means with all the injuries that happen in the nfl

I'm not too surprised that UDFAs as an entire group produce more impoact than 5 6 and 7th rounders. I

I'd imagine most teams bring in stound 2x as many UDFAs as late round guys. And I wouldn't have guessed overall success rate of late round guys were 2x higher.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-09-2023, 10:49 AM
Interesting stat that the UDFAs make up 1 of 6 players in the NFL.

Is that true of the Steelers?

I cannot find a list of current players on the roster who were not drafted. It is not easy to figure out either because so many guys make there way here from other teams.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2023_roster.htm

Here is a listing of current 2023 Steelers, including this year's UDFAs, and their original draft staus. Of those who are not rooks, the UDFAs are:

Chris Boswell
Ja'Marcus Bradley
Dan Chisena
Breiden Fehoko
Madre Harper
Nate Herbig
Christian Kuntz
Arthur Maulet
Ryan McCollum
Gunner Olszewski
James Pierre
Elijah Riley
Chandon Sullivan
Levi Wallace
Jaylen Warren
Cody White

The biggest takeaways here is that the Steelers have brought in a lot of former UDFAs this year and that most of them are bottom of the roster players.

SidSmythe
05-09-2023, 11:00 AM
I'm not surprised by this - I'd say a player can pick a home where he feels he belongs instead of being held captive for 4 yrs.
Also some guys are just "late bloomers"

Joel Buchsbaum
05-09-2023, 12:58 PM

Here is a listing of current 2023 Steelers, including this year's UDFAs, and their original draft staus. Of those who are not rooks, the UDFAs are:

Chris Boswell
Ja'Marcus Bradley
Dan Chisena
Breiden Fehoko
Madre Harper
Nate Herbig
Christian Kuntz
Arthur Maulet
Ryan McCollum
Gunner Olszewski
James Pierre
Elijah Riley
Chandon Sullivan
Levi Wallace
Jaylen Warren
Cody White

The biggest takeaways here is that the Steelers have brought in a lot of former UDFAs this year and that most of them are bottom of the roster players.

I'm pretty sure that Boswell and Kuntz were rookie free agent at on point, Last year brought us Warren.

NorthCoast
05-10-2023, 06:58 AM
read://https_theathletic.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheathletic.com%2F4499221%2F202 3%2F05%2F09%2Fnfl-draft-2023-undrafted-free-agents%2F

The best UDFA for every team......

Pittsburgh Steelers: Trevor Downing, C/G, Iowa State
Downing, despite being light (6-3, 299 pounds), has started full seasons at center and both guard spots. He?s better at guard, but his lack of length is going to be an issue there. If he can keep getting stronger, he has the smarts to stick.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-10-2023, 03:27 PM

Chris Boswell
Ja'Marcus Bradley
Dan Chisena
Breiden Fehoko
Madre Harper
Nate Herbig
Christian Kuntz
Arthur Maulet
Ryan McCollum
Gunner Olszewski
James Pierre
Elijah Riley
Chandon Sullivan
Levi Wallace
Jaylen Warren
Cody White

Well when your let player drafted who did not pan out that tends to happen. The 2021 was mostly bad, with maybe one front line long term starter.

BURGH86STEEL
05-10-2023, 03:54 PM
According to google there are 775 college Football programs in the US. 85 player X 775 equals 65875 players every year. What organization has this caliber or man power to properly analyze 65875 players?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-12-2023, 10:49 AM
This is a very good point. The great thing about UDFAs is that for the first few years they are the guys at the very bottom of the cap. Guys with cap hit below $1M of a cap over $200M - less than one half of one percent of the salary cap. The added flexibility that comes with finding guys like this who can contribute to your team is huge.

NJ-STEELER
05-13-2023, 10:16 AM
read://https_theathletic.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheathletic.com%2F4499221%2F202 3%2F05%2F09%2Fnfl-draft-2023-undrafted-free-agents%2F

The best UDFA for every team......

downing not in camp.

all I can find is signing didn’t go through.

hakeem butler also not there