PDA

View Full Version : Andy Weidl Says Steelers Will Be Going Back To Their Roots

hawaiiansteel
05-05-2023, 06:01 PM
Andy Weidl Says Steelers Will Be Going Back To Their Roots "We Are Gonna Break The Will Of Other Teams"

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/05/andy-weidl-says-steelers-will-be-going-back-to-their-roots-we-are-gonna-break-the-will-of-other-teams/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

crushedspirit
05-05-2023, 06:21 PM
This will please many old schoolers who are living in the past, and it will work on the lesser to average teams of the league.

Blitzer
05-05-2023, 06:49 PM
add in KP, DJ, Pickens and Robinson. not a bad offense

Northern_Blitz
05-05-2023, 09:06 PM
This will please many old schoolers who are living in the past, and it will work on the lesser to average teams of the league.

And also the good teams if the QB play is above average.

But if QB play is below average, it probably doesn't really matter much what you do because you aren't going to beat the best teams anyway.

If you're at around average, I think it's probably better to try to beat the KC and Cincy's of the world by controlling the ball, limiting their opportunities to score, and hoping that your D can get you a turnover. If you don't have a very good QB, I think trying to out pass those teams isn't going to be successful.

Ball control probably won't work consistently either. But I think you probably have a better chance of winning with that strategy.

Northern_Blitz
05-05-2023, 09:09 PM
add in KP, DJ, Pickens and Robinson. not a bad offense

It might still be bad.

But hopefully it's not as bad as last year. And maybe even better than the year before (which was bad, but better than last year).

Joel Buchsbaum
05-06-2023, 05:29 AM
Andy Weidl Says Steelers Will Be Going Back To Their Roots "We Are Gonna Break The Will Of Other Teams"

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/05/andy-weidl-says-steelers-will-be-going-back-to-their-roots-we-are-gonna-break-the-will-of-other-teams/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I like Andy Weidl. Yes-- the free agency and the draft picked may old school players, or if you prefer new modern type of non @()$$# type ( Non Millennial or Generation Z ) type of men that society is producing less and less of.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-06-2023, 05:42 AM

But if QB play is below average, it probably doesn't really matter much what you do because you aren't going to beat the best teams anyway.

If you're at around average, I think it's probably better to try to beat the KC and Cincy's of the world by controlling the ball, limiting their opportunities to score, and hoping that your D can get you a turnover. If you don't have a very good QB, I think trying to out pass those teams isn't going to be successful.

Ball control probably won't work consistently either. But I think you probably have a better chance of winning with that strategy.

You are going to need to play good POWER Football. You are going to need good 4 man pass rush who can get the job done without 5, or 6, men rushing QB, You will need amount of back 7 players who can cover to realistically beat KC and Cincy. Ie, The ability to run the ball AND a good defense. This offseason took us in the direction.

But most importantly you can't have a " Game manager " type of quarterback unless of course the defense produces 4+ turnovers. We still need this piece of the puzzle and a head coach who can teach, coach, and put it all together. Shopping needs for 2024.

NorthCoast
05-06-2023, 07:20 AM
Christmas in May!!!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52874636274_bab300c129.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2oymkeU)capture (https://flic.kr/p/2oymkeU) by R W (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/), on Flickr

BURGH86STEEL
05-06-2023, 08:49 AM

I think the Steelers want to have the ability to win games in a variety of ways.

flippy
05-06-2023, 08:53 AM
We?re returning to being physical for sure but that?s not where it stops.

I love the potential we?ll have in 12 personnel. How are teams gonna stop us? If they go small they won?t stop the run. If the go big the can?t stop the pass.

Improving the OLine and adding a dual threat TE changes everything.

Some of y?all are looking at things upside down. Teams aren?t going to be able to keep up with our offense.

hackjam
05-06-2023, 08:59 AM
We?re returning to being physical for sure but that?s not where it stops.

I love the potential we?ll have in 12 personnel. How are teams gonna stop us? If they go small they won?t stop the run. If the go big the can?t stop the pass.

Improving the OLine and adding a dual threat TE changes everything.

Some of y?all are looking at things upside down. Teams aren?t going to be able to keep up with our offense.

On paper that seems to be the case. I do fear that Matt Canada will hold them back. No more excuses for him.

Northern_Blitz
05-06-2023, 11:32 AM
You are going to need to play good POWER Football. You are going to need good 4 man pass rush who can get the job done without 5, or 6, men rushing QB, You will need amount of back 7 players who can cover to realistically beat KC and Cincy. Ie, The ability to run the ball AND a good defense. This offseason took us in the direction.

But most importantly you can't have a " Game manager " type of quarterback unless of course the defense produces 4+ turnovers. We still need this piece of the puzzle and a head coach who can teach, coach, and put it all together. Shopping needs for 2024.

I think you probably can't win a shootout with a game manager at QB.

But we're building the team to try to avoid shootouts with a good defense and an offense that plays more than 3 downs per series.

Obviously, we'd rather have an elite (or at least above average) QB. But we're there (yet). Hopefully we get there with KP this year or next year.

Then try to win like we did with Ben. Keep the scores low, but have a offense that can score on a good number of their possessions.

Captain Lemming
05-06-2023, 04:02 PM
I think you probably can't win a shootout with a game manager at QB.

But we're building the team to try to avoid shootouts with a good defense and an offense that plays more than 3 downs per series.

Obviously, we'd rather have an elite (or at least above average) QB. But we're there (yet). Hopefully we get there with KP this year or next year.

Then try to win like we did with Ben. Keep the scores low, but have a offense that can score on a good number of their possessions.

No. don?t you know we have to let Kenny loose so he can out Mahommes, Mahommes. :)

Steel Maniac
05-07-2023, 02:23 AM
On paper that seems to be the case. I do fear that Matt Canada will hold them back. No more excuses for him.

Canada is under a microscope now. He better get that offense looking like a new millinium offense instead of the high school crap we’ve been seeing the last couple of years

BURGH86STEEL
05-07-2023, 02:58 AM
Canada is under a microscope now. He better get that offense looking like a new millinium offense instead of the high school crap we?ve been seeing the last couple of years

It's only Canada? Let me educate you better about the NFL. Every player and coach lives under a microscope.

BURGH86STEEL
05-07-2023, 03:05 AM
No. don?t you know we have to let Kenny loose so he can out Mahommes, Mahommes. :)
Ben was never the QB that Brady, Manning or Rodgers............. but Ben did ok an will eventually reach the HOF.

NorthCoast
05-07-2023, 08:19 AM
Weidl definitely going back to his roots (ex OL). Knows where the game is won and lost.

A team can win 75% of its games with this kind of offense. That's Step 1 to get to the post season. What they do in the post season will depend mostly on how the QB does. Defenses will force KP to win the games. Can he do it?

We've seen some very good and very bad QB play in the playoffs lately.

Northern_Blitz
05-07-2023, 11:15 AM
Ben was never the QB that Brady, Manning or Rodgers............. but Ben did ok an will eventually reach the HOF.

And when he was at his best, we didn't have an offense that tried to be a poor-man's version of Peyton Manning's. We had a run first offense that could convert explosive plays with good QB play. This is what I think we're trying to do (instead of making a poor imitation of KC or Cincy).

When the offense changed to try to turn Ben into Brady (no runs, 50 passes / game) the team got worse, not better. Even 1st Ballot Hall of Fame players like Ben have trouble with offenses like that.

NJ-STEELER
05-07-2023, 12:59 PM
Can definitely see the difference weidl has brought to the organization.

One thing going with an offense they seem to want to use exclusively.
the RB room.
yeah naj is the work horse and warren looked good when given the chance.

But, do we want to run naj into the ground. As we?ve seen this staff do over and over ?
can we trust warren getting a bulk of the Carrie’s if naj is dinged up

who is behind them.
teague?
huntly ? (another former eagle)
McFarland ???? Eh, no

I think we’re a bit short of RBs if we want that style of offense.
I hope they’re looking for another guy to add to the rotation

Northern_Blitz
05-07-2023, 01:09 PM
Can definitely see the difference weidl has brought to the organization.

One thing going with an offense they seem to want to use exclusively.
the RB room.
yeah naj is the work horse and warren looked good when given the chance.

But, do we want to run naj into the ground. As we?ve seen this staff do over and over ?
can we trust warren getting a bulk of the Carrie’s if naj is dinged up

who is behind them.
teague?
huntly ? (another former eagle)
McFarland ???? Eh, no

I think we’re a bit short of RBs if we want that style of offense.
I hope they’re looking for another guy to add to the rotation

I like that we finally started splitting carries last season.

Hopefully it continues this season and wasn't just because Najee seemed to be nursing something through the season.

Edited to add: I don't think player usage is something we can credit the assistant GM for though.

BURGH86STEEL
05-07-2023, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Northern_Blitz;956186]And when he was at his best, we didn't have an offense that tried to be a poor-man's version of Peyton Manning's. We had a run first offense that could convert explosive plays with good QB play. This is what I think we're trying to do (instead of making a poor imitation of KC or Cincy).]

I don't view offenses as run 1st vs pass 1st. In an ideal team world teams want to maintain as much balance as possible.

2020 the Steelers started off 11-0 with a past his prime Ben.

hawaiiansteel
05-08-2023, 02:32 AM
Steelers' draft class provides blueprint for what assistant GM Andy Weidl seeks in NFL players

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-draft-class-provides-blueprint-for-what-assistant-gm-andy-weidl-seeks-in-nfl-players/

Joel Buchsbaum
05-08-2023, 05:33 AM
I heard Andy speak. He is an intelligent guy who knows football. You could tell on the way he describes players with detail, which is something the tight lipped Colbert did not do. That was refreshing. Colbert was a great GM but the game I think was passing him by partly due to his age.

Andy is a great addition the GM role. He and Khan respect each other and work well together.

Oviedo
05-08-2023, 08:01 AM
I heard Andy speak. He is an intelligent guy who knows football. You could tell on the way he describes players with detail, which is something the tight lipped Colbert did not do. That was refreshing. Colbert was a great GM but the game I think was passing him by partly due to his age.

Andy is a great addition the GM role. He and Khan respect each other and work well together.

I just worry how long will it be before a team tries to grab Weidl to be a GM? He seems like he really added a lot to our off season process and i love his philosophy.

Then again, he is a Pittsburgh guy

Joel Buchsbaum
05-08-2023, 08:33 AM
I just worry how long will it be before a team tries to grab Weidl to be a GM? He seems like he really added a lot to our off season process and i love his philosophy.

Then again, he is a Pittsburgh guy

Not too long, but we've got him for now! We might have to choose between him and Khan. I say we over pay the Andy because coaches and management are not on the salary cap. Did you ever hear the man speak?

Oviedo
05-08-2023, 08:48 AM
Not too long, but we've got him for now! We might have to choose between him and Khan. I say we over pay the Andy because coaches and management are not on the salary cap. Did you ever hear the man speak?

I hope they do whatever they have to in order to keep Weidl. Maybe make Khan and Executive Vice President and Weidl the GM? I hope Rooney thinks outside the box to keep both these talents.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-08-2023, 09:42 AM
As long as you ACTUALLY move the ball and score, it really doesn't matter if it's running or passing.

And being in a northern city, come Dec/Jan (late season and playoff time), you WILL need to be a good running team. Because you WILL have weather than makes it tougher to pass in.

As long as you CAN pass, it's OK to be a team that tends to be run-heavy.

Northern_Blitz
05-08-2023, 03:47 PM
As long as you ACTUALLY move the ball and score, it really doesn't matter if it's running or passing.

And being in a northern city, come Dec/Jan (late season and playoff time), you WILL need to be a good running team. Because you WILL have weather than makes it tougher to pass in.

As long as you CAN pass, it's OK to be a team that tends to be run-heavy.

In an ideal world, I think you'd like to be good at both. Then look at weekly matchups and attack where you think your strengths overlap with their weaknesses.

But I think it takes a special coach with a special roster to actually do it this way. And Canada certainly seems more like the "I'm going to run my plays come hell or high water" type coach. At least over the past two years.

Steel Maniac
05-08-2023, 04:31 PM
I hope they do whatever they have to in order to keep Weidl. Maybe make Khan and Executive Vice President and Weidl the GM? I hope Rooney thinks outside the box to keep both these talents.

Me too. This draft has me positively anxious now for the next one!

SteelerOfDeVille
05-08-2023, 04:39 PM
In an ideal world, I think you'd like to be good at both. Then look at weekly matchups and attack where you think your strengths overlap with their weaknesses.

But I think it takes a special coach with a special roster to actually do it this way. And Canada certainly seems more like the "I'm going to run my plays come hell or high water" type coach. At least over the past two years.
AGREE COMPLETELY. Very good post

SteelerOfDeVille
05-08-2023, 05:00 PM
Me too. This draft has me anxious now for the next one!
I suspect it'll have more men in the trenches early than the team traditionally does. IIRC, during last few years, Philly has drafted day 1 or 2 at EVERY o-line position. Even where pro bowlers (Kelce) existed.

Same is true for their d-line (last season's final roster had FIVE that they drafted in the FIRST round)... Nevermind guys like Suh (former 1st) and Javon Hargrave...

That's going to make some fans unhappy - they presently ask how many high picks need to be spent on "defense", they'll just shift that to "the trenches"

WindyCitySteel
05-08-2023, 06:58 PM

You can't beat these teams consistently by scoring 20 and hoping to play keepaway - that's a fool's errand.

But it certainly will absolve the coaches of any of these losses if everyone else didn't execute to perfection with no margin for error.

WindyCitySteel
05-08-2023, 07:00 PM

And will get us 9 wins a year, the new Standard.

What happens when teams with great offenses get a few stops in a row on our smashmouth offense?

WindyCitySteel
05-08-2023, 07:02 PM
Weidl definitely going back to his roots (ex OL). Knows where the game is won and lost.

A team can win 75% of its games with this kind of offense. That's Step 1 to get to the post season. What they do in the post season will depend mostly on how the QB does. Defenses will force KP to win the games. Can he do it?

We've seen some very good and very bad QB play in the playoffs lately.

Nobody will win in the playoffs playing run, run, horizontal pass, but at least they might be able to avoid turnovers!

Shawn
05-09-2023, 01:44 AM
This will please many old schoolers who are living in the past, and it will work on the lesser to average teams of the league. what are they supposed to say? We will ride to a SB slangin the rock all over the field with Pickett? I mean come on. Do the Steelers really have a choice? For the Steelers to win a SB, they will need a stout D, and a real running game to support KP. In that scenario KP can have success, and so can the Steelers.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-09-2023, 10:01 AM
what are they supposed to say? We will ride to a SB slangin the rock all over the field with Pickett? I mean come on. Do the Steelers really have a choice? For the Steelers to win a SB, they will need a stout D, and a real running game to support KP. In that scenario KP can have success, and so can the Steelers.
Agreed - what we're missing is that defensively, most teams are going small ball in an effort to stop the pass. They want Trenton Simpson's and fast ILB (who really are safeties) who cannot control the box like a traditional MLB...

My gut says this could be a sneaky good "against the grain" decision.

As long as there's an occasional downfield pass to keep the defense honest and prevent Naj from seeing a lot of stacked boxes, this could be VERY successful.

Captain Lemming
05-09-2023, 10:08 AM
what are they supposed to say? We will ride to a SB slangin the rock all over the field with Pickett? I mean come on. Do the Steelers really have a choice? For the Steelers to win a SB, they will need a stout D, and a real running game to support KP. In that scenario KP can have success, and so can the Steelers.

That is what I keep saying. Sure it works for KC and Mahommes. Trying to beat them AT THEIR OWN GAME ain't some magic thing that will make us have their success.

Philly is CLEARLY the template WE are following and a MUCH MORE reasonable target.

Captain Lemming
05-09-2023, 10:11 AM
Nobody will win in the playoffs playing run, run, horizontal pass, but at least they might be able to avoid turnovers!

We don't even do this. Our run/pass ratio is pretty close to average relative to the league.

NorthCoast
05-09-2023, 10:21 AM
Agreed - what we're missing is that defensively, most teams are going small ball in an effort to stop the pass. They want Trenton Simpson's and fast ILB (who really are safeties) who cannot control the box like a traditional MLB...

As long as there's an occasional downfield pass to keep the defense honest and prevent Naj from seeing a lot of stacked boxes, this could be VERY successful.Agreed. Without looking it up I think last season the NFL rushing yds/att average was a record.

Can't wait to see Jones and Washington at the second level laying out Simpson and his type.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Agreed. Without looking it up I think last season the NFL rushing yds/att average was a record.

Can't wait to see Jones and Washington at the second level laying out Simpson and his type.
or Najee stiff-arming them to flat on their backs, looking up at the sky..

Captain Lemming
05-09-2023, 10:51 AM
You can't beat these teams consistently by scoring 20 and hoping to play keepaway - that's a fool's errand.

But it certainly will absolve the coaches of any of these losses if everyone else didn't execute to perfection with no margin for error.

Literally NOBODY advocates that scoring 20 per as a goal that will win anything. Strawman argument.

Captain Lemming
05-09-2023, 10:53 AM

This is not a theory.
Philly HAS PROVEN it works.

feltdizz
05-09-2023, 10:58 AM

Look at Herbert.. dude slings it all over the field and has yet to have any real success as a team.

Good fantasy stats tho and that is what some are more concerned with.

I?ll take W?a any way I can. Doesn?t have to be solely on a QB?s shoulders in his second year.

Captain Lemming
05-09-2023, 10:58 AM

Absolutely false.
Windy let me ask you. Who scored the most BY FAR in last year's playoffs?
Hint:
1. It AIN'T KC
2. They RAN way more than we did

NorthCoast
05-09-2023, 12:22 PM
Look at Herbert.. dude slings it all over the field and has yet to have any real success as a team.

Good fantasy stats tho and that is what some are more concerned with.

I?ll take W?a any way I can. Doesn?t have to be solely on a QB?s shoulders in his second year.What's up with all the ???s

SteelerOfDeVille
05-09-2023, 12:24 PM
What's up with all the ???s
probably posting from his phone and getting weird character translations instead of apostrophes.

WindyCitySteel
05-09-2023, 07:50 PM
Absolutely false.
Windy let me ask you. Who scored the most BY FAR in last year's playoffs?
Hint:
1. It AIN'T KC
2. They RAN way more than we did

Did you just compare Canada's offense to Kyle Shanahan's? This is the point I've been arguing for a while - you can be conservative AND explosive, but not with an offensive dullard like Canada, and by extension, Tomlin.

BURGH86STEEL
05-09-2023, 07:58 PM
Did you just compare Canada's offense to Kyle Shanahan's? This is the point I've been arguing for a while - you can be conservative AND explosive, but not with an offensive dullard like Canada, and by extension, Tomlin.
The Steelers had an explosive offense when Ben was slinging the ball around to AB.

Canada or Tomlin can't execute for the players.

WindyCitySteel
05-09-2023, 07:59 PM
The Steelers had an explosive offense when Ben was slinging the ball around to AB.

Canada or Tomlin can't execute for the players.

You just hit the nail on the head. The Steelers under Tomlin rely 100% on having superior talent because of their inability to gameplan and scheme.

Appreciate the assist, brother.

BURGH86STEEL
05-09-2023, 08:05 PM
You just hit the nail on the head. The Steelers under Tomlin rely 100% on having superior talent because of their inability to gameplan and scheme.

Appreciate the assist, brother.

Do you realize how incompetent you sound? What coach didn't rely on superior talent to succeed? Tomlin wouldn't be in the league as a HC for as long as he has if he couldn't game plan and scheme.

The Steelers are giving Canada a chance because they realize that he can coach and the Steelers realize there is/was a learning curve associated coming from the colligate ranks to the pros. Maybe the Steelers mistake was promoting Canada to soon? I guess we shall find out after this season.

WindyCitySteel
05-09-2023, 08:53 PM
Do you realize how incompetent you sound? What coach didn't rely on superior talent to succeed? Tomlin wouldn't be in the league as a HC for as long as he has if he couldn't game plan and scheme.

The Steelers are giving Canada a chance because they realize that he can coach and the Steelers realize there is/was a learning curve associated coming from the colligate ranks to the pros. Maybe the Steelers mistake was promoting Canada to soon? I guess we shall find out after this season.

Cowher didn't have a franchise QB until his last three years and won division titles and playoff games with guys like Tomczak, Neil, Stewart, and Maddox. Shanahan won games with Mr. Irrelevant, almost went to a Super Bowl. Reid won plenty with Alex Smith, Gibbs won Super Bowls without a HOF QB.

Tomlin has never made the playoffs without a HOF QB.

Your understanding of the game is childlike.

BURGH86STEEL
05-09-2023, 09:10 PM
Cowher didn't have a franchise QB until his last three years and won division titles and playoff games with guys like Tomczak, Neil, Stewart, and Maddox. Shanahan won games with Mr. Irrelevant, almost went to a Super Bowl. Reid won plenty with Alex Smith, Gibbs won Super Bowls without a HOF QB.

You said superior talent right? Gibbs didn't have superior talent? Cowher didn't have superior talent? The league was a different league when Gibbs and Cowher coached. Both those coaches had "good enough" talent on both sides of the ball to compete for championships.

Other teams had a lot of success and wins without HOF QB's What is a fact is that HOF caliber QB's gives a team a great chance to win games week in and week out and ultimately compete for a championship year in and year out.

That doesn't mean that other QB's like Eli, Williams, Hostetler, Plunket, Flacco, Dilfer ect can't help their teams win games or a championship within the confine of teams with "superior talent".

Live and learn young padawan.

feltdizz
05-09-2023, 09:44 PM

lmao.. Tomlin has only had 2 season’s without Ben.

and in both of those season’s they were still in playoff contention until the last seconds.

BURGH86STEEL
05-09-2023, 10:31 PM
I suspect it'll have more men in the trenches early than the team traditionally does. IIRC, during last few years, Philly has drafted day 1 or 2 at EVERY o-line position. Even where pro bowlers (Kelce) existed.

Same is true for their d-line (last season's final roster had FIVE that they drafted in the FIRST round)... Nevermind guys like Suh (former 1st) and Javon Hargrave...

That's going to make some fans unhappy - they presently ask how many high picks need to be spent on "defense", they'll just shift that to "the trenches"
Philly didn't get hot until Hurts developed. The Steelers won't get hot until KP develops.

Buzz
05-09-2023, 10:38 PM
Philly didn't get hot until Hurts developed. The Steelers won't get hot until KP develops.

So basically, you're saying the HC and coordinators don't really matter ... the supporting cast doesn't matter much ... it's about the QB.

So why not scrap the coaching staff and only draft QBs, and just fill out the roster by signing UDFAs and castaways?

BURGH86STEEL
05-09-2023, 11:10 PM
So basically, you're saying the HC and coordinators don't really matter ... the supporting cast doesn't matter much ... it's about the QB.

So why not scrap the coaching staff and only draft QBs, and just fill out the roster by signing UDFAs and castaways?
I didn't say this. Head coaches and coaches provide leadership and guidance for the team. Like my teachers in life gave me guidance to succeed. It was up to me to execute on their leadership, education, and guidance.

The Jets and their fans are in a different frame of mind today with Rodgers than the yesterday without Rodgers. Where is Greenbay? Player perspective.

Did you notice how most coaches come and go?

I didn't say the supporting cast doesn't matter. The QB is the ONE that all teams need to generally have consistent success in the NFL. QB play is essential to win games consistently, make the playoffs, and win championships.

I can tell you my opinion on when coaching matters. What play call do you call as a HC, OC, or DC in a given down or distance vs anticipated coverage or circumstances? What wrecks the plan or play call are the players. A WR that makes a great catch. A QB that makes a great throw. The defender that drops off his coverage assignment and makes a pick. The defender that beats a double block. ECT ECT. You see these things happen and simply chalk it up to genius/bad coaching.

There are a limited amount of play calls for offenses and defenses. A coach relies on his players to execute based on coaches education of his players and players film study.

The Steelers fortunes for this season hinge on KP's development. I put money on this.

BURGH86STEEL
05-09-2023, 11:29 PM
QB's are the highest paid players in the game for a reason. Probably ONLY Rodger Goodell earns more per year. Go figure.

hawaiiansteel
05-10-2023, 02:10 PM
Mike Tomlin's input helped front office identify draft prospects that fit Steelers' image

https://triblive.com/sports/mike-tomlins-input-helped-front-office-identify-draft-prospects-that-fit-the-steelers-image/

BURGH86STEEL
05-10-2023, 02:50 PM
Mike Tomlin's input helped front office identify draft prospects that fit Steelers' image

https://triblive.com/sports/mike-tomlins-input-helped-front-office-identify-draft-prospects-that-fit-the-steelers-image/
This was Tomlin's draft. Time will tell how it pans out.

whisper
05-10-2023, 08:39 PM

Bingo, bango, play it on your banjo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlqQ1_vZVE

WindyCitySteel
05-10-2023, 08:48 PM
You said superior talent right? Gibbs didn't have superior talent? Cowher didn't have superior talent? The league was a different league when Gibbs and Cowher coached. Both those coaches had "good enough" talent on both sides of the ball to compete for championships.

What "superior talent" did Cowher have? Good roster that was picked over every year in free agency and he just kept winning with average QBs.

Both Cowher and Gibbs were smart enough to build around team strengths.

WindyCitySteel
05-10-2023, 08:51 PM

He doesn't know what he's saying. A few posts earlier he said the Steelers and Skins won despite their QBs because they had superior talent.

His MO is to defend Mike Tomlin at all costs. In fact, it is for a good number of posters here.

NJ-STEELER
05-10-2023, 10:03 PM
What "superior talent" did Cowher have? Good roster that was picked over every year in free agency and he just kept winning with average QBs.

if you haven’t seen the latest episode of bens podcast with cowher.
I recommend it. Some great stories and different versions of stories from back then.
the 2004 draft as an example. Cowher alludes to old man Rooney embellishing the story of drafting Ben

feltdizz
05-10-2023, 10:04 PM

I know we had a superior advantage as one of the only teams running a 3-4 back then.

Captain Lemming
05-11-2023, 09:08 PM
I know we had a superior advantage as one of the only teams running a 3-4 back then.

This is truth. We were drafting DEs that were too small for 4/3 defenses as outside linebackers. DEs who were strong not fast.

Todays, defenses go after the same talent pool. Not just that more teams have defenses like ours, but our outsides have gotten bigger and defensive line more athletic.

We are drafting from the same pool as everyone else.

Captain Lemming
05-11-2023, 09:24 PM
if you haven’t seen the latest episode of bens podcast with cowher.
I recommend it. Some great stories and different versions of stories from back then.
the 2004 draft as an example. Cowher alludes to old man Rooney embellishing the story of drafting Ben

Really?
Not only is the fact that Cowher wanted a lineman over Ben EMBARRASSING and tarnishes his shine…. HE IS TALKING TO BEN.

How EXACTLY can Rooney “embellish”. His story wasn’t that long.

Rooney is either speaking fact or lied.

I tend to believe the guy who spoke his truth without contradiction WHILE HE WAS ALIVE over someone who looks stupid in hindsight who claims otherwise only once Rooney was dead.

I would suggest most people who found themselves in Cowhers shoes would be temped to do similar to save face.

WindyCitySteel
05-11-2023, 11:27 PM
This is truth. We were drafting DEs that were too small for 4/3 defenses as outside linebackers. DEs who were strong not fast.

Todays, defenses go after the same talent pool. Not just that more teams have defenses like ours, but our outsides have gotten bigger and defensive line more athletic.

We are drafting from the same pool as everyone else.

And losing them when their first contracts were up. Which Cowher team lost in the playoffs with a superior talent advantage? Chargers 1994 is a popular one, but that team was pretty close to the Steelers that year, closer than most would care to admit.

NJ-STEELER
05-12-2023, 12:52 AM
Really?
Not only is the fact that Cowher wanted a lineman over Ben EMBARRASSING and tarnishes his shine…. HE IS TALKING TO BEN.

How EXACTLY can Rooney “embellish”. His story wasn’t that long.

Rooney is either speaking fact or lied.

I tend to believe the guy who spoke his truth without contradiction WHILE HE WAS ALIVE over someone who looks stupid in hindsight who claims otherwise only once Rooney was dead.

I would suggest most people who found themselves in Cowhers shoes would be temped to do similar to save face.

did you watch it?

Captain Lemming
05-12-2023, 01:03 AM
did you watch it?

Yes. Lots of smiles and laughter but even while telling stories, you get the sense the rumored contention was real.

It is clear that Ben would constantly do his thing to Cowhers chagrin. Lots of frustration on both sides at the time.

It feels like they like, respect, and understand each other more now than they did as Steelers.

BTW, Cowhers taste in music… nice.

whisper
05-12-2023, 09:33 AM
He doesn't know what he's saying. A few posts earlier he said the Steelers and Skins won despite their QBs because they had superior talent.

His MO is to defend Mike Tomlin at all costs. In fact, it is for a good number of posters here.

Hold it now, hit it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB0NM6reiRE

BURGH86STEEL
05-12-2023, 12:54 PM

Reading comprehension isn't one of your strong points. I make mistakes too.

Let me get the facts straight for you. I don't care if Tomlin or any coach gets fired. Let me put it more simply for you. Coaches don't win jack without good, great, or HOF caliber players. Gibbs coached all of the about including 4 HOF players (Riggins, Green, Monk, and Grimm). I think only one player from the well known Hoggs is in the HOF.

BURGH86STEEL
05-12-2023, 01:07 PM
Does anyone on this forum view HOF coach Bill Cowher in a negative light? Cowher was a good/great coach. Maybe if some of the good/great players that played for Cowher simply executed better on game days then the Steelers would had won more Superbowls?

What if Ben didn't make "the tackle"?

WindyCitySteel
05-12-2023, 01:36 PM
Does anyone on this forum view HOF coach Bill Cowher in a negative light? Cowher was a good/great coach. Maybe if some of the good/great players that played for Cowher simply executed better on game days then the Steelers would had won more Superbowls?

What if Ben didn't make "the tackle"?

Cowher > Noll > Tomlin

There. I said it.

Steel Maniac
05-12-2023, 01:46 PM
Cowher > Noll > Tomlin

There. I said it.

Noll > Cowher > Tomlin

BURGH86STEEL
05-12-2023, 01:50 PM
Cowher > Noll > Tomlin

There. I said it.
Great for Steelers fans. You are not a Steelers fans so.....

BURGH86STEEL
05-12-2023, 01:54 PM
Noll > Cowher > Tomlin
One more chip or SB appearance for Tomlin coached teams and..... It will be Noll, Tomlin, Cowher.

WindyCitySteel
05-12-2023, 02:32 PM
Great for Steelers fans. You are not a Steelers fans so.....

You probably accuse a lot of people of being Russian agents, too, don't you...

whisper
05-12-2023, 03:14 PM
You probably accuse a lot of people of being Russian agents, too, don't you...

Mic drop. Beep, beep.

NJ-STEELER
05-12-2023, 04:14 PM
Yes. Lots of smiles and laughter but even while telling stories, you get the sense the rumored contention was real.

It is clear that Ben would constantly do his thing to Cowhers chagrin. Lots of frustration on both sides at the time.

It feels like they like, respect, and understand each other more now than they did as Steelers.

BTW, Cowhers taste in music? nice.

then I?d you heard it it wasn?t sone slight on Rooney.
more of just a clarification.

the we?re drafting a ot unless a Qb falls to us from bill

NJ-STEELER
05-19-2023, 12:24 PM
depot put out a piece today on a website speculating the top candidates for GM in 2024. weidl was a top candidate.

but brian baldinger, who knows AW, said he's happy in Pittsburgh and is getting paid well.

that's good to hear, and hopefully they will be able to work something out where we can keep the duo together

Steel Maniac
05-19-2023, 12:35 PM
depot put out a piece today on a website speculating the top candidates for GM in 2024. weidl was a top candidate.

but brian baldinger, who knows AW, said he's happy in Pittsburgh and is getting paid well.

that's good to hear, and hopefully they will be able to work something out where we can keep the duo together

I hope so.

Steel Maniac
05-19-2023, 12:36 PM
One more chip or SB appearance for Tomlin coached teams and..... It will be Noll, Tomlin, Cowher.

Do you have a time frame for that? Just asking.

feltdizz
05-19-2023, 01:08 PM
Do you have a time frame for that? Just asking.

time based..

3 years.

but who knows when those 3 years will start. :)