PDA

View Full Version : We upgraded our ability to run that ball through the draft and free agency

Joel Buchsbaum
05-05-2023, 05:06 AM
1. Jones. Whether he starts at LT ( my choice ) or RT he was a powerhouse blocker with a touch of nasty in him. He is capable of moving people off that ball and shows good ability to block on the move at the 2nd level. He will go down as a very good 1st round pick.

2. Washington At 6'7" 270 lbs, with monster hands 11" hands and long arms . He projects as our best blocking tight end. Some think he can be a tackle if he isn't good enough at receiving. At any rate our two Tight ends sets will have some mismatches in our favor thanks to him.

3. Potenbaum. Yes he is a pure blocking FB and a very good one at that, who shows the ability to stone guys, move a defender out of their spot, and make contact with them on the move. When we face nickel defenses, why not sneak him on the field on 2nd down and take the advantage? I have him as the 4th RB we keep. Fans will love this guy for what he does.

4. Seumalo We dipped into veteran free agency and grabbed him for 24 million dollars for 3 years. He will significantly upgrade us over Dotson. We went from a fringe starter at guard to a solid player overnight. Big time upgrade.

The Moore and Dotson combination yielded a whopping 20 penalties, not to mention poor play. They are gone. Adios.

Combined the four players will upgrade us vs run. Harris will likely average 4.1 yards a rush or higher and Warren due to his ability to hit the hole quicker and run well outside can average even more than he did last year. Yes, we can now play power football. You'd better believe it. Our opponents will learn to respect it the hard way.

-JB

Iron City Inc.
05-05-2023, 05:55 AM
I would agree our run production with all the additions on paper seems to have to get better.
I would slow the roll on who is gone though. Adios to Moore n Dotson may not be the case. Could Moore be the swing T, move to RT and trade Chucks or could Moore move inside? Lots of unknowns. Dotson played left guard and Seumalo played RG last year so could Daniels be moved? Could Daniels be moved back to center where he played in college?
So just to many moving parts to know how it will shake out. The one good thing is Latrobe will be very competitive.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-05-2023, 07:01 AM
I would agree our run production with all the additions on paper seems to have to get better.
I would slow the roll on who is gone though. Adios to Moore n Dotson may not be the case. Could Moore be the swing T, move to RT and trade Chucks or could Moore move inside? Lots of unknowns. Dotson played left guard and Seumalo played RG last year so could Daniels be moved? Could Daniels be moved back to center where he played in college?
So just to many moving parts to know how it will shake out. The one good thing is Latrobe will be very competitive.

Aidos meaning they won't be starting anymore unless due to injury. Both players may stay as cheap backups on the salary cap. Dotson will likely be gone. Or the expensive Daniels will be cut and he can stay. The Steelers keep three guards and two centers. Who are your three guards, Iron City?

Iron City Inc.
05-05-2023, 09:40 AM
Patience JB. That will all be settled at St Vincent’s n in the pre-season.

Oviedo
05-05-2023, 11:36 AM
Why would we cut Daniels? He was our best off Lineman last year. All we heard was never ending bitching about the OL and a soon as we start to rurn it around the same people want to cut one of our better players

Daniels contract isn't a bad contract and we don't have cap issues. Why cut him to keep a bum like Dotson

Blitzer
05-05-2023, 12:27 PM
Thankfully we did not just sign another weapon. we actually invested bigtime in the LT position. 1st time in a long time

hawaiiansteel
05-05-2023, 12:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm6XEIWnkLE

Captain Lemming
05-05-2023, 01:19 PM
1. Jones. Whether he starts at LT ( my choice ) or RT he was a powerhouse blocker with a touch of nasty in him. He is capable of moving people off that ball and shows good ability to block on the move at the 2nd level. He will go down as a very good 1st round pick.

2. Washington At 6'7" 270 lbs, with monster hands 11" hands and long arms . He projects as our best blocking tight end. Some think he can be a tackle if he isn't good enough at receiving. At any rate our two Tight ends sets will have some mismatches in our favor thanks to him.

3. Potenbaum. Yes he is a pure blocking FB and a very good one at that, who shows the ability to stone guys, move a defender out of their spot, and make contact with them on the move. When we face nickel defenses, why not sneak him on the field on 2nd down and take the advantage? I have him as the 4th RB we keep. Fans will love this guy for what he does.

4. Seumalo We dipped into veteran free agency and grabbed him for 24 million dollars for 3 years. He will significantly upgrade us over Dotson. We went from a fringe starter at guard to a solid player overnight. Big time upgrade.

The Moore and Dotson combination yielded a whopping 20 penalties, not to mention poor play. They are gone. Adios.

Combined the four players will upgrade us vs run. Harris will likely average 4.1 yards a rush or higher and Warren due to his ability to hit the hole quicker and run well outside can average even more than he did last year. Yes, we can now play power football. You'd better believe it. Our opponents will learn to respect it the hard way.

-JB

One of your best posts ever. Don't need to cut people though. Fringe starter equals quality depth.

"BuzzNuter"
05-05-2023, 02:04 PM
I am going to be honest here. Bringing in what 3 new starters in the OL worries me. I thought that the consensus was that we had improved and the OL was gelling. Obviously our management doesn't really agree. I can't remember when the Steelers did something like this before.

I agree on paper it looks like we have improved but we did improve (7-2) at the end of 2022. I suppose management decided to gamble on this upcoming season. I think the Steelers are trying to reverse this run and gun type of football and go Old School, Smashmouth.

This is going to be a unique season.

NorthCoast
05-05-2023, 03:59 PM
I am going to be honest here. Bringing in what 3 new starters in the OL worries me. I thought that the consensus was that we had improved and the OL was gelling. Obviously our management doesn't really agree. I can't remember when the Steelers did something like this before.

I agree on paper it looks like we have improved but we did improve (7-2) at the end of 2022. I suppose management decided to gamble on this upcoming season. I think the Steelers are trying to reverse this run and gun type of football and go Old School, Smashmouth.

KC replaced 3/5 of their line a few seasons ago and it seems to have worked out fine, even in Yr1.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-05-2023, 04:02 PM
One of your best posts ever. Don't need to cut people though. Fringe starter equals quality depth.

Thanks. Finding a topic Hawaii, Steel Manic, Fletdizz and NJ Steeler can all agree on is hard. They do like the draft, don't they?

Joel Buchsbaum
05-05-2023, 04:05 PM

Why? Our OL was like a Chinese fire drill last year full of yellow flags and poor play. Many players have been upgraded.

Blitzer
05-05-2023, 04:18 PM
Why? Our OL was like a Chinese fire drill last year full of yellow flags and poor play. Many players have been upgraded.

it was not a great line. but Chinese fire drill would mean they all moved around to different positions. Didnt really do that.

hawaiiansteel
05-05-2023, 04:20 PM
Thanks. Finding a topic Hawaii, Steel Manic, Fletdizz and NJ Steeler can all agree on is hard. They do like the draft, don't they?

why would I want to ever agree with Steel Maniac?

then I would be wrong also.

Steelerphile
05-05-2023, 08:22 PM
I doubt that Monte Pottebaum makes the team. They seldom employed a FB who had few other abilities but to lead block when Derek Watt was on the team. Pottebaum is not going to be the FB. Connor Heyward is going to be the FB/H-back. Heyward has far better abilities as an offensive talent than Pottebaum. An offense where there is a blocking FB leading the running back is passe. You might see that on a High school or college offense, but it is not going to happen in the NFL. Heyward can lead block in plays where he will be called upon to block. He is also a threat a pass catcher and runner, something that Pottebaum is likely deficient at.

Captain Lemming
05-05-2023, 10:13 PM

If we all agree it must be WRONG. :)

Captain Lemming
05-05-2023, 10:17 PM
why would I want to ever agree with Steel Maniac?

then I would be wrong also.

Everyone stumbles on right occasionally.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtE0iLRue16oGXYgNb9xXG9MgSfpqRu 0mk7Q&usqp=CAU

Joel Buchsbaum
05-06-2023, 06:06 AM
it was not a great line. but Chinese fire drill would mean they all moved around to different positions. Didnt really do that.

Well the definition is, " A Chinese fire drill" is a slang term for a situation that is chaotic or confusing, possibly due to poor or misunderstood instructions"

The coaching of the OL can be viewed as suspect since Mike Munchak left us. The OL looked confusing in 2022 with all those false stats and flags. I say the terminology fits. Congrats I was trying to find a topic we all agree on : )

Joel Buchsbaum
05-06-2023, 06:09 AM
Everyone stumbles on right occasionally.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtE0iLRue16oGXYgNb9xXG9MgSfpqRu 0mk7Q&usqp=CAU

Technically a broken clock can be right for a moment of three times a year if you observe day light savings.

NorthCoast
05-06-2023, 11:34 AM
Well the definition is, " A Chinese fire drill" is a slang term for a situation that is chaotic or confusing, possibly due to poor or misunderstood instructions"

The coaching of the OL can be viewed as suspect since Mike Munchak left us. The OL looked confusing in 2022 with all those false stats and flags. I say the terminology fits. Congrats I was trying to find a topic we all agree on : )Completely disagree. The OL may visible improvements throughout the season under Meyer. And his coordination of the run game was equally impressive.

Blitzer
05-06-2023, 12:32 PM

The coaching of the OL can be viewed as suspect since Mike Munchak left us. The OL looked confusing in 2022 with all those false stats and flags. I say the terminology fits. Congrats I was trying to find a topic we all agree on : )

It was Certainly not a Chinese fire drill. by years end the oline was fairly solid. using your own logic. KP sucks, NH sucks. but somehow the Steelers went 7-2 down the stretch. had to be strong somewhere right?

Northern_Blitz
05-06-2023, 12:39 PM

I think this was true 2 years ago. But I also think progress was made last year.

Like how when Mitch was starting and some people were saying the problem was that we were only throwing short. But on 3rd, I think we were among the league leaders in yards thrown past the sticks. The problem in that case wasn't that we were only throwing short. It was that Mitch generally didn't complete deeper passes.