PDA

View Full Version : 2024 Mock draft.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-02-2023, 05:37 AM
For those of us who can't get enough of the draft here is an early look at 2024. The early word is the talent at the top is better than 2023.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-mock-draft-caleb-williams-drake-maye-battle-for-qb1-some-other-passers-are-early-round-1-favorites/

NJ-STEELER
05-02-2023, 12:37 PM
Just with the level of qb play will prop up next years draft.

then throw in a couple too 10 LTs, Marvin H jr etc.
if Williams and jr were able to come out this year. They likely go top 3

Steel Maniac
05-02-2023, 02:37 PM
Next draft, I want to continue to add to the D-line and want to add a top notch linebacker as well. On offense, wouldn't mind adding a top notch WR.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-02-2023, 03:16 PM
Next draft, I want to continue to add to the D-line and want to add a top notch linebacker as well. On offense, wouldn't mind adding a top notch WR.
My way too early mock would include ILB, RT; I could see WR, DL and maybe SS depending on how the youngins do and where they're moved to... clemson has a couple of fast ILB that I'll be keeping an eye on for 2024

papillon
05-02-2023, 10:22 PM

Well, we'll be getting good players, I don't know about top-notch when you draft at position 32, 64 and 96. :Cheers

Pappy

LAMBERT72
05-03-2023, 06:38 AM
Well, we'll be getting good players, I don't know about top-notch when you draft at position 32, 64 and 96. :Cheers

Pappy

I love it!!!!!

Oviedo
05-03-2023, 09:32 AM

I'd say that DT and ILB have to be priorities next year. Don't discount a Center...Cole isn't the long term solution.

I'm still curious if we possibly see Daniels move to Center so Herbig starts? I think Daniels could be an upgrade over Cole who is solid but won't be great

Buzz
05-03-2023, 10:16 AM
I'd say that DT and ILB have to be priorities next year. Don't discount a Center...Cole isn't the long term solution.

I'm still curious if we possibly see Daniels move to Center so Herbig starts? I think Daniels could be an upgrade over Cole who is solid but won't be great

My understanding is that the Bears tried Daniels at center and he sucked there -- I doubt the Steelers have that kind of move in mind for him

I don't think Cole has been bad at center. Let's see how he does with the upgrade at G playing next to him. Yes, there's a good chance we move on from Cole after his contract expires (I think following this season), but unless he gets injured, I expect him to be the starter at the position this season. Likely, other dudes (Anderson, reserve OL, UDFAs) will battle it out to see if one of them can be a suitable backup and a possible replacement for Cole when he leaves

Steel Maniac
05-03-2023, 10:28 AM

Pappy

hahahahahaha. Good one!

Steel Maniac
05-03-2023, 10:29 AM
I'd say that DT and ILB have to be priorities next year. That's how I see it.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-04-2023, 09:13 AM

Why? We just added DT Benton ,and ILB Herbig, plus some good veteran free agents at ILB. And we have Robinson at ILB. I'd say we are looking good here for a change.

The needs for 2024 are a franchise QB, A Better RB, and maybe another tackle. It's too early to talk about the 2024 draft in terms of our needs in general.

Oviedo
05-04-2023, 10:37 AM
Why? We just added DT Benton ,and ILB Herbig, plus some good veteran free agents at ILB. And we have Robinson at ILB. I'd say we are looking good here for a change.

The needs for 2024 are a franchise QB, A Better RB, and maybe another tackle. It's too early to talk about the 2024 draft in terms of our needs in general.

Why DT? Thirty four (34) year old Can Heyward. Larry O is a rental player. Lowdermilk, Leal, Benton haven't proven themselves yet. Absolutely need our future stars and to continue to prime the pump

As much as you hate Najee Harris, no one in the organization hates him like you do

SteelerOfDeVille
05-04-2023, 11:11 AM
Why DT? Thirty four (34) year old Can Heyward. Larry O is a rental player. Lowdermilk, Leal, Benton haven't proven themselves yet. Absolutely need our future stars and to continue to prime the pump

As much as you hate Najee Harris, no one in the organization hates him like you do
Mostly agreed (although he may be splitting hairs with DE vs DT vs NT given the 34 defense).

Although Larry O extended - he's also got injury history that is worrisome.

And Cam's 147 years old and could retire at any given point.

Most teams in the AFCN are now rotating bodies in on the d-line to keep the stars fresh. This team needs a solid 2-deep bunch of d-linemen, especially given the statements above.

I'd like to see another 34DE type show up next season... Really hoped Gervon Dexter would fall to where Washington was selected, but it was a pipe dream

Joel Buchsbaum
05-04-2023, 12:54 PM

We don't know what the organization privately thinks of Harris. Did they say anything bad about Bush and Edmunds before their option years? No, they did not. Both are off the Steelers now, so we know what they thought of them. I thought they were bad first round picks, especially Bush when factor in what we gave up get him! For all we know, they could be planing on giving Warren more carries in 2023. I hope they are. Harris is not the back your looking for. Anyway...

On DL we have Heyward who looks to have 2-3 more good season in him. We also have Leal who I liked as a rookie. Larry O is an expensive rental player, but Benton is ours for cheap for four years. Yes, he is unproven in the NFL as all rookies in May are. He also showed he can play during senior bowl week vs 100 of the draft picks. So DL is not a big need in 2023-2024, I think.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-04-2023, 01:00 PM
Mostly agreed (although he may be splitting hairs with DE vs DT vs NT given the 34 defense).

Although Larry O extended - he's also got injury history that is worrisome.

And Cam's 147 years old and could retire at any given point.

Most teams in the AFCN are now rotating bodies in on the d-line to keep the stars fresh. This team needs a solid 2-deep bunch of d-linemen, especially given the statements above.

I'd like to see another 34DE type show up next season... Really hoped Gervon Dexter would fall to where Washington was selected, but it was a pipe dream

Forget the old school data. We play 4 defensive lineman more of the time and two of them are usually rush ends. One of these rush ends plays OLB ( Watt ). We picked up a good two gap tackle in the draft who will play DT > NT for us. I doubt we play much of the old 3-4 defense.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-04-2023, 01:48 PM
Forget the old school data. We play 4 defensive lineman more of the time and two of them are usually rush ends. One of these rush ends plays OLB ( Watt ).
somebody aint mathing right... isn't that 3 lineman and an OLB?

WindyCitySteel
05-04-2023, 07:05 PM
How did Ryan do in his final mock draft this year? I'm assuming poorly like most everyone always does, yet people still find value in his dart throws a year out? Madness.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-05-2023, 12:00 AM
I've skipped this thread so far because I think it's ridiculous to have a 2024 mock this far out. Just came on to say my kid told me today he saw a '24 mock online with the Steelers picking this high and saw a comment asking the lines of "how good is the Khan artist that he was able to trade up from 32 to 9?" And my response was "he traded 32 and Kendrick Green". BTW if he can pull that off he can have whatever nickname he wants.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-05-2023, 05:18 AM
I've skipped this thread so far because I think it's ridiculous to have a 2024 mock this far out. Just came on to say my kid told me today he saw a '24 mock online with the Steelers picking this high and saw a comment asking the lines of "how good is the Khan artist that he was able to trade up from 32 to 9?" And my response was "he traded 32 and Kendrick Green". BTW if he can pull that off he can have whatever nickname he wants.

I wish the board had a +1 option. Yes Khan, " Dr. Evil in disguise " proved he can move up in the draft for reasonable amount. He can save us nearly one million dollars when he 86's Green.

Northern_Blitz
05-05-2023, 09:45 AM
We don't know what the organization privately thinks of Harris. Did they say anything bad about Bush and Edmunds before their option years? No, they did not. Both are off the Steelers now, so we know what they thought of them. I thought they were bad first round picks, especially Bush when factor in what we gave up get him! For all we know, they could be planing on giving Warren more carries in 2023. I hope they are. Harris is not the back your looking for. Anyway...

On DL we have Heyward who looks to have 2-3 more good season in him. We also have Leal who I liked as a rookie. Larry O is an expensive rental player, but Benton is ours for cheap for four years. Yes, he is unproven in the NFL as all rookies in May are. He also showed he can play during senior bowl week vs 100 of the draft picks. So DL is not a big need in 2023-2024, I think.

I agree that they aren't going to trash a guy in public.

Bush had his role diminish over time. And we wanted to keep Edmunds but he went for slightly more money.

And I don't think they ever said that they were grooming Bush or Edmunds to be a leader on the team.

I tend to think that 2nd contracts for RBs aren't a good idea. But I think it's pretty clear that the team really likes Najee.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-05-2023, 10:04 AM
I agree that they aren't going to trash a guy in public.

Bush had his role diminish over time. And we wanted to keep Edmunds but he went for slightly more money.

And I don't think they ever said that they were grooming Bush or Edmunds to be a leader on the team.

I tend to think that 2nd contracts for RBs aren't a good idea. But I think it's pretty clear that the team really likes Najee.

The Steelers thought so little if Bush and Edmunds that they did not give him a 5ht year option and let both player go in free agency, We did try very hard to retain Edmunds. That speaks volumes.

Who says the Steelers are impressed with Najee? As person he is a real life Horatio Alger type to story, but as a starting running back? Merely serviceable. He is slow, can't run outside well or hit many 15+ yards plays. You don't know Tomlin's and Canada thoughts privately nor did they say much about him as a football player. I say he is a cheap player ( which is good ) on the cap and there are several ( 20+ ) other NFL RB's are better.We should have taken Etienne at least I thought so. If you or other fans are happy with Harris, its your right. I don't think he is up to standard of our previous starting running backs in Bettis, Parker or Bell. Warren who took may of his carries as an un-drafted rookie IMO is a little bit better than N. Harris.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-08-2023, 12:36 PM
The Steelers thought so little if Bush and Edmunds that they did not give him a 5ht year option and let both player go in free agency, We did try very hard to retain Edmunds. That speaks volumes.

Who says the Steelers are impressed with Najee? As person he is a real life Horatio Alger type to story, but as a starting running back? Merely serviceable. He is slow, can't run outside well or hit many 15+ yards plays. You don't know Tomlin's and Canada thoughts privately nor did they say much about him as a football player. I say he is a cheap player ( which is good ) on the cap and there are several ( 20+ ) other NFL RB's are better.We should have taken Etienne at least I thought so. If you or other fans are happy with Harris, its your right. I don't think he is up to standard of our previous starting running backs in Bettis, Parker or Bell. Warren who took may of his carries as an un-drafted rookie IMO is a little bit better than N. Harris.
Do you recognize what just happened this offseason? The team rebuilt itself FOR power running... They upgraded their o-line, got a power-blocking TE. They have ANNOUNCED that they are going back to power running, physically imposing their will on opponents.

That means Najee is EXACTLY what they want.
YOU may prefer Etienne, but the Steelers don't.
YOU may prefer Warren, but the Steelers don't.

They have one of the best power runners in the league right now. He PLANTS people on the ground with his stiff arm. Runs through arm tackles. He won't break an 80-yarder, but he's a guy who sees the holes and turns a 2 yarder into a 5 yarder. And they retooled the blockers to make him more successful.

It's ok to have your favorites. We all have them. But, it's almost like you aren't paying attention to what they're doing or saying because of what YOU want.