PDA

View Full Version : Steelers invite another QB into camp

Joel Buchsbaum
05-01-2023, 07:57 PM
https://steelersnow.com/steelers-invite-clemson-qb-former-5-star-recruit-to-rookie-minicamp/#

AND here are his work out #'s

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1021676&DraftYear=2023

https://sports.yahoo.com/doyel-once-no-1-qb-172926716.html

There aren't many 5 star QB's in college. Obvisouly things did not work out for him then. But this is now. A diamond in the rough?

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2023, 08:05 PM
camp arm...

Joel Buchsbaum
05-02-2023, 05:00 AM
camp arm...

He is not your typical camp arm. He was the top recuit the nation and had a difficult personal path if you read his link with deaths in his family, covid, and 4 offensive coordinators. But physically the man works out and throws it well. He has a top arm, ran a 4.62 40, and jumped well. He would rate 2nd at the combine among the QB workouts after Richardson to and must have been a priority free agent. He signed with us, as we gave him a chance. This is not your typical rookie free agent with marginal talent! He's got big time upside. I hope the young man has found his way and he wins the 3rd string QB. I for one want to see what he's got.

Hunter Johnson needs this. And he’s nailing it.

The ball comes hopping out of his hand, supercharged and accurate, exactly as Brownsburg’s Hart had been describing a few days earlier by phone.

“I will say, I’ve never seen anybody throw a better ball than Hunter Johnson,” Hart was saying. “A lot of guys, if they do everything fundamentally correct, they can throw a really good ball. The guys who can throw a great ball even when everything isn’t fundamentally correct are phenoms. You just don’t see it often. I mean, Hunter can make every single throw and knock a fly off the wall. His arm is elite of the elites.”

So are his physical testing results. Last month at Clemson’s Pro Day he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds, and leapt 10 feet, 3 inches in the broad jump and 35½ inches vertically. Had he posted those numbers at the NFL Scouting Combine in March, he’d have finished second, athletically, to just one quarterback: Anthony Richardson of Florida.

Blitzer
05-02-2023, 05:23 AM
I am sure some people think he should be QB1 on the depth chart going into camp

Joel Buchsbaum
05-02-2023, 05:30 AM
And here he is in action vs. Michigan State. He makes some NFL level throws here flashing a top arm, and good release. The Steelers may have a steal here. Only one game college where he went 30 - 43 ( 69.8% complete ) , 283 yards, 3td's, 0 int. I get it. I love some of our rookie free agents. This guy is one of them. When does camp start?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx6a9wjeTnE

Northern_Blitz
05-02-2023, 05:40 AM
I like bringing in his who have potentially high ceilings

Probably doesn't work out for him. But take a big swing

Iron City Inc.
05-02-2023, 08:23 AM
To small a sample size. Nice he was under center in the game against Mich St. He must have a good arm cause he doesn't drive the ball with his legs much. That can be taught. Accuracy looked good that day. Early reads were open so didn't see a lot of moving through progressions. Doesn't mean he can't just here he was hitting first read for the most part in this tape.
Likely won't get many reps at camp but let him compete n see how it shakes out.

feltdizz
05-02-2023, 08:31 AM
I am sure some people think he should be QB1 on the depth chart going into camp

lmao..the next guy is the best guy

Djfan
05-02-2023, 09:54 AM
That video showed good ball placement. He seemed to like the area where the defender couldn't do anything. Good thinking.

Oviedo
05-02-2023, 10:04 AM
He is not your typical camp arm. He was the top recuit the nation and had a difficult personal path if you read his link with deaths in his family, covid, and 4 offensive coordinators. But physically the man works out and throws it well. He has a top arm, ran a 4.62 40, and jumped well. He would rate 2nd at the combine among the QB workouts after Richardson to and must have been a priority free agent. He signed with us, as we gave him a chance. This is not your typical rookie free agent with marginal talent! He's got big time upside. I hope the young man has found his way and he wins the 3rd string QB. I for one want to see what he's got.

Seems like someone you want to succeed. Doesn't need to ready in 2023, but hopefully earn a place to be the Trubisky replacement in 2024.

Steel Maniac
05-02-2023, 10:12 AM
And here he is in action vs. Michigan State. He makes some NFL level throws here flashing a top arm, and good release. The Steelers may have a steal here. Only one game college where he went 30 - 43 ( 69.8% complete ) , 283 yards, 3td's, 0 int. I get it. I love some of our rookie free agents. This guy is one of them. When does camp start?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx6a9wjeTnE

I like the big swing the front office is making by adding him. Really like the scouting results we are seeing from Khan/Wiedl.

Northern_Blitz
05-02-2023, 10:37 AM
Seems like someone you want to succeed. Doesn't need to ready in 2023, but hopefully earn a place to be the Trubisky replacement in 2024.

+1 Ovi...............:tt2

Northern_Blitz
05-02-2023, 10:39 AM
I like the big swing the front office is making by adding him. Really like the scouting results we are seeing from Khan/Wiedl.

Will be interesting to see how much of it was just the board breaking for us and how much is good process.

If results keep coming back like this (at least what we think this result is), hopefully we keep Kahn, Weidl, Tomlin together.

BURGH86STEEL
05-02-2023, 10:46 AM
This is all Tomlin's "fault" or "doing". You didn't know?

SteelerOfDeVille
05-02-2023, 10:50 AM
This is all Tomlin's "fault" or "doing". You didn't know?
uhhhh.... he's all the bad stuff... don't you know the rules?

Ghost
05-02-2023, 11:46 AM
I had read about this kid before seeing this post. Seems like a good kid who had a slew of unfortunate events. While he may be no more than a camp body; I like that they are bringing him in. Let's see what he's got.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-02-2023, 12:48 PM

Same here. He went through 9 OC's and some tough family times in college. Blah, blah, blah,

So what. We've got him now and he starts off where all rookies do. I think he makes the team on potential alone!

Recall that Bleacher Report named him as its No. 2 ranked quarterback recruit in 2017, ahead of Tua Tagovailoa (Miami Dolphins), who went on to be selected No. 5 overall in the 2020 NFL draft.

“Johnson is a joy to watch if you appreciate quarterbacks who can settle in and find rhythm from the pocket without doing anything over the top in the process,” wrote Bleacher Report at the time. “He’s a technician (25/25 combined pocket presence and mechanics) who hits receivers in stride even when they’re well-covered, thanks to his elite accuracy (24/25) and live arm.”He was also the #2 QB recruit

https://heavy.com/sports/pittsburgh-steelers/quarterback-hunter-johnson-giants-rookie-minicamp/

Clemson QB Hunter Johnson [6025/199] timed 4.67 forty [1.65] with 35.5” vertical jump, 10-3 broad jump, 4.51 short shuttle, 7.06 three-cone.

These are very good numbers. And he showed an elite arm at his pro day. For those wondering he has nearly 10 " hands. ( 9 " 7/8 ) Develop his man. I know he is a rookie, but its nice to have a player like this is case Pickett doesn't work out. He has real UPSIDE.

Hats off the Khan/Wiedl

NorthCoast
05-02-2023, 12:55 PM
Same here. He went through 9 OC's and some tough family times in college. Blah, blah, blah,

So what. We've got him now and he starts off where all rookies do. I think he makes the team on potential alone!

https://heavy.com/sports/pittsburgh-steelers/quarterback-hunter-johnson-giants-rookie-minicamp/

These are very good numbers. And he showed an elite arm at his pro day. For those wondering he has nearly 10 " hands. ( 9 " 7/8 ) Develop his man. I know he is a rookie, but its nice to have a player like this is case Pickett doesn't work out. He has real UPSIDE.

Hats off the Khan/Wiedl

Here we go.... the 'way too early camp darling'.....

(I'm actually rooting for Trice to show as the sleeper hit)

NJ-STEELER
05-02-2023, 01:00 PM
is he going to both ours and the giants rookie camp.

how does that work?

feltdizz
05-02-2023, 01:29 PM

lmao.. yup.

and it says he is invited to Giants and Pittsburgh camps.. I guess if they are at different times you can do both since you aren’t under contract.

Steel Maniac
05-02-2023, 02:35 PM

if Trice pans out, then our secondary would become a strength on this team.

NJ-STEELER
05-03-2023, 01:35 AM
I’m hearing sone analysts say truce will probably wind up at safety.
considering his size that wouldn’t be a bad thing Especially since he has experience covering man yo man

Joel Buchsbaum
05-03-2023, 05:27 AM
lmao.. yup.

and it says he is invited to Giants and Pittsburgh camps.. I guess if they are at different times you can do both since you aren?t under contract.

But he correctly signed with us, figuring the Giants invested big bucks in the QB , and they Steelers did not. Jones > Pickett. For a 3rd QB this guy is the best prospect we ever signed, I think. I hope he is the star of mini camp.

Mr.wizard
05-03-2023, 08:14 AM
But he correctly signed with us, figuring the Giants invested big bucks in the QB , and they Steelers did not. Jones > Pickett. For a 3rd QB this guy is the best prospect we ever signed, I think. I hope he is the star of mini camp.

He didn't sign with us because of the money we didnt invest in QB, why would that matter? The guy is a camp arm trying to make the practice squad.

Chadman
05-03-2023, 08:41 AM
I don't want to go off to early, but he is probably a future HOF'er.

Oviedo
05-03-2023, 09:26 AM
if Trice pans out, then our secondary would become a strength on this team.

Sounds like he is a classic case of lots of talent but lots of bad luck health wise

Maybe the fortunes at CB turn for us this year?

Monalo
05-03-2023, 09:31 AM

Nice story, but this is a bit over the top. He's the #4 QB and camp arm.
Johnson looks good but, in 2021 was benched after 3 games. 2022 completed 6 passes for 10 passing yards.
UDFA Tanner Morgan is #3 QB and a 5-year player with 51 games. He has 9,454 career passing yards, 65 TDs, 32 ints.

Johnson is nothing more than a camp arm, barring QB injuries. Won't see much preseason action to prove himself.

feltdizz
05-03-2023, 09:59 AM

yeah.. this makes zero sense. Of course we haven’t invested in Kenny yet, its his second year of a rookie contract.

I would hope every QB we bring in turns i to something but guys like this and Tanner Morgan are probably trade bait if they show anything in camp/preseason.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-03-2023, 01:08 PM
Nice story, but this is a bit over the top. He's the #4 QB and camp arm.
Johnson looks good but, in 2021 was benched after 3 games. 2022 completed 6 passes for 10 passing yards.
UDFA Tanner Morgan is #3 QB and a 5-year player with 51 games. He has 9,454 career passing yards, 65 TDs, 32 ints.

Johnson is nothing more than a camp arm, barring QB injuries. Won't see much preseason action to prove himself.

Tanner Morgan is not so good and has limited upside. Hunter Johnson has enormous upside as a player. The QB #3 spot is open. Who cares what they did in college. That as then and this is now. I know who I'm rooting for to win the job. No-- I'm not blasting Morgan for being bald or going ga - ga the modelesque looking Johnson. Let the best player win. I want an open competition.

NorthCoast
05-03-2023, 01:16 PM
Tanner Morgan is not so good and has limited upside. Hunter Johnson has enormous upside as a player. The QB #3 spot is open. Who cares what they did in college. That as then and this is now. I know who I'm rooting for to win the job. No-- I'm not blasting Morgan for being bald or going ga - ga the modelesque looking Johnson. Let the best player win. I want an open competition.He's the #4 QB. He'll be lucky to scrape more than a handful of snaps with the 1s. Even this is not likely. Rudolph complained he barely got touches last camp and he was #3!

Joel Buchsbaum
05-03-2023, 01:18 PM
He didn't sign with us because of the money we didnt invest in QB, why would that matter? The guy is a camp arm trying to make the practice squad.

Why? Come on man think. Our #2 QB is very expensive on the salary cap. We currently do not have a 3rd qb. We also don't have a #1 QB that we committed a 2nd contract to. That is why he is here as a rookie free agent.

Rookie free agents sign with the teams 1 ) they can make the NFL or PS and 2 ) Has a team or teams that was them. They make a choice based one that.

Johnson has had three team try outs that we known of. He choose us.

Northern_Blitz
05-03-2023, 01:41 PM
Why? Come on man think. Our #2 QB is very expensive on the salary cap. We currently do not have a 3rd qb. We also don't have a #1 QB that we committed a 2nd contract to. That is why he is here as a rookie free agent.

Rookie free agents sign with the teams 1 ) they can make the NFL or PS and 2 ) Has a team or teams that was them. They make a choice based one that.

It would be nice if someone could push Mitch off the roster. But I don't think it will happen this year.

Mr.wizard
05-03-2023, 02:01 PM

No they are trying to make the practice squad, who the backup QB is or the starting QB has no bearing on that. If Mitch left during the season the team would go out and sign a backup, they aren't going to put Morgan in that spot, that isn't how it works. Practice squad QB isn't the backup in waiting, he is there simply to help the team practice.

Steel Maniac
05-03-2023, 02:06 PM
No they are trying to make the practice squad, who the backup QB is or the starting QB has no bearing on that. If Mitch left during the season the team would go out and sign a backup, they aren't going to put Morgan in that spot, that isn't how it works. Practice squad QB isn't the backup in waiting, he is there simply to help the team practice.

Until further notice...because if he shows something in practice, who says he can't be the third guy?

Oviedo
05-03-2023, 02:09 PM
It would be nice if someone could push Mitch off the roster. But I don't think it will happen this year.

People need to quit hating on Trubisky. He is an asset. An experienced QB who can win a couple games for you. That is important when KP hasn't demonstrated durability.

Monalo
05-03-2023, 02:11 PM

Johnson IS NOT a UDFA, he’s just a rookie minicamp invitee (5/14-5/16).
He has no contract, no pay and isn’t even guaranteed to be on the 90-man camp roster.
Morgan will clearly be ranked higher going in to rookie camp and training camp.

“The biggest thing that separates an undrafted free agent from a player on a tryout is the opportunity to make a team. Undrafted free agents have signed contracts which represents a second tier of investment by the respective team. In the rookie pecking order they are more of a priority than a camp invite.”

feltdizz
05-03-2023, 02:20 PM

This has a summer 2023 “Pierre on the outside” vibe.

Northern_Blitz
05-03-2023, 02:23 PM
People need to quit hating on Trubisky. He is an asset. An experienced QB who can win a couple games for you. That is important when KP hasn't demonstrated durability.

I don't hate Mitch. He played reasonably well last year when he played in structure and didn't try to be a hero. But he was trying to be a hero pretty much the whole time until he lost the starting job. I think him trying to throw deep on 3rd when he isn't good at throwing deep, is a big reason the offense had so many 3 and outs when he was QB.

But I'd rather free up that cap space if he's not going to be the starter (and he's not).

I think we could have gotten comparable or better play from someone cheap last season (or if we just kept Mason as the #2).

I do like that he's a vet. If he can be like Batch was for Ben, that's good. That's why we're going to keep him as the backup this season.

feltdizz
05-03-2023, 02:27 PM
Johnson IS NOT a UDFA, he’s just a rookie minicamp invitee (5/14-5/16).
He has no contract, no pay and isn’t even guaranteed to be on the 90-man camp roster.
Morgan will clearly be ranked higher going in to rookie camp and training camp.

“The biggest thing that separates an undrafted free agent from a player on a tryout is the opportunity to make a team. Undrafted free agents have signed contracts which represents a second tier of investment by the respective team. In the rookie pecking order they are more of a priority than a camp invite.”

you are wasting key strokes. Once Joel gets locked in facts don’t matter.

He signed with us because he has a chance to be the starter if Kenny slips because Kenny hasn’t been paid handsomely yet.

Just let him have it.. lol.

feltdizz
05-03-2023, 02:28 PM

I don’t mind Mitch as a backup. I don’t even mind the money. Not a fan of him at all but he we won the Panther game I attended and he cheers for Kenny so he’s good with me.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-03-2023, 03:18 PM

If Mitch left the team isn't likely. The practice squad is for players waiting developmental players. I think Johnson has an excellent chance to win the 3rd string job. The investment for my view is excellent and cheap. It is all UPSIDE.

feltdizz
05-03-2023, 03:24 PM
If Mitch left the team isn't likely. The practice squad is for players waiting developmental players. I think Johnson has an excellent chance to win the 3rd string job. The investment for my view is excellent and cheap. It is all UPSIDE.

If Mitch left tomorrow we’d call Mason or find a proven vet to film the backup spot.

NorthCoast
05-03-2023, 03:42 PM
He is not your typical camp arm. He was the top recuit the nation and had a difficult personal path if you read his link with deaths in his family, covid, and 4 offensive coordinators. But physically the man works out and throws it well. He has a top arm, ran a 4.62 40, and jumped well. He would rate 2nd at the combine among the QB workouts after Richardson to and must have been a priority free agent. He signed with us, as we gave him a chance. This is not your typical rookie free agent with marginal talent! He's got big time upside. I hope the young man has found his way and he wins the 3rd string QB. I for one want to see what he's got.You're giving a bunch of measurables but the #1 predictor for NFL success is collegiate success. I'm not seeing it in the small sample size, unless you are counting his 100% completion rate last year....LOL.

feltdizz
05-03-2023, 03:54 PM
You're giving a bunch of measurables but the #1 predictor for NFL success is collegiate success. I'm not seeing it in the small sample size, unless you are counting his 100% completion rate last year....LOL.

Stop giving away his secrets..

“X player ran a 4.52, vertical of 42”, scored 4 TD’s for Polk High and scored a 2500 on his PSAT. He has a good chance to be the franchise if Kenny is benched by Thanksgiving!”

NorthCoast
05-03-2023, 07:38 PM
Stop giving away his secrets..

“X player ran a 4.52, vertical of 42”, scored 4 TD’s for Polk High and scored a 2500 on his PSAT. He has a good chance to be the franchise if Kenny is benched by Thanksgiving!”You forgot he also had a perfect "S2" score :)

NJ-STEELER
05-04-2023, 01:14 AM
Team is also inviting Hakeem butler WR to camp.
6’6 225 lbs

Currently in xfl with St. Louis.
has 8 TDs this year.

former wr at Iowa st.
Purdy was his qb on sone plays in utube highlights

1st pick of day 3 ( 4th round) in 2019. on eagles practice squad in 2020

the guys highlight tape looks legit. Attacks the ball in the air and in 50/50 balls.. the opposite of claypool

Joel Buchsbaum
05-04-2023, 06:39 AM
You're giving a bunch of measurables but the #1 predictor for NFL success is collegiate success. I'm not seeing it in the small sample size, unless you are counting his 100% completion rate last year....LOL.

Not exactly. I see a 5 five star QB who has a good arm. If you take his campus workout, it would be 2nd only to Richardson, you know the #4 overall pick in the draft who completed less the 55% of his passes and only started 13 games. Richardson had University of Florida talent around him. Now that's a small sample size too.

Due of various personal problems and 9 Offensive coordinators Hunter Johnson never developed. I don't care if he was not as productive as he should have been. I do like the fact that we have this diamond in the rough, and hope he can be our 3rd QB. I posted his Michigan state game where he flashed the type of skill and made several NFL like throws. If he doesn't make the team, oh well. But if he does I think we have something to develop.

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2023, 11:35 PM
Team is also inviting Hakeem butler WR to camp.
6’6 225 lbs

Currently in xfl with St. Louis.
has 8 TDs this year.

former wr at Iowa st.
Purdy was his qb on sone plays in utube highlights

1st pick of day 3 ( 4th round) in 2019. on eagles practice squad in 2020

the guys highlight tape looks legit. Attacks the ball in the air and in 50/50 balls.. the opposite of claypool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clj3imN1OOE&t=114s