PDA

View Full Version : Get ready for more close games

WindyCitySteel
05-01-2023, 06:30 PM
Steelers are clearly committing to smashmouth football again and will probably win more games than they lose, but those wins will have us on the edge of our seats and leave little margin for error.

Good thread here by Warren Sharp.

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1653127904190971905?s=20

Northern_Blitz
05-01-2023, 06:34 PM
If you're QB is good, a good running game sets up opportunities for big passing plays.

I agree that we need more of those big plays.

Hopefully KP and MC are better this season than they were last season.

Terrapin
05-01-2023, 06:36 PM
Steelers are clearly committing to smashmouth football again and will probably more games than they lose, but those wins will have us on the edge of our seats and leave little margin for error.

Sweet plan. Lots of smashmouth teams have great success! Well, maybe not so much in the last 30 years, but if we can bring back the 70s we'll be in great shape

WindyCitySteel
05-01-2023, 06:47 PM
Sweet plan. Lots of smashmouth teams have great success! Well, maybe not so much in the last 30 years, but if we can bring back the 70s we'll be in great shape

They also need the ability to play in shootouts occasionally...

Captain Lemming
05-01-2023, 06:52 PM

You are just salty that we waited til the last round to take a turtle from your school you spoiled brat. :)

feltdizz
05-01-2023, 07:06 PM
its the NFL.. most games will be close. Its what they want.

WindyCitySteel
05-01-2023, 07:12 PM

Look at the top of the list, though - some teams boat race opponents, the Steelers rarely do. You'd better play perfect to beat the best if that's your MO.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-01-2023, 08:11 PM
Look at the top of the list, though - some teams boat race opponents, the Steelers rarely do. You'd better play perfect to beat the best if that's your MO.
I honestly think they'll have a couple where they'll have to open it up, or risk losing 41-17 against the Bengals. The Ravens tend to come in and try to smashmouth with 'em so it rarely gets lopsided.

By years end, I anticipate KP has to get the keys because they won't wanna take that beating twice against the Bengals...

Steel Maniac
05-01-2023, 08:48 PM

I’m following this ver closely. We are going smash mouth which is counter to just about everything else in today’s NFL.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2023, 08:57 PM
I honestly think they'll have a couple where they'll have to open it up, or risk losing 41-17 against the Bengals. The Ravens tend to come in and try to smashmouth with 'em so it rarely gets lopsided.

By years end, I anticipate KP has to get the keys because they won't wanna take that beating twice against the Bengals...

I agree...

NorthCoast
05-01-2023, 09:53 PM

It's what you do when you don't have an elite QB, run to set up the pass.

WindyCitySteel
05-01-2023, 10:37 PM
It's what you do when you don't have an elite QB, run to set up the pass.

It's what you do to kill a rookie QB when you don't have a good run game.

NJ-STEELER
05-01-2023, 10:39 PM
hahahahhahahaa

papillon
05-01-2023, 10:53 PM
Steelers are clearly committing to smashmouth football again and will probably win more games than they lose, but those wins will have us on the edge of our seats and leave little margin for error.

I don't mind close games, it makes for an exciting few hours and gets the adrenaline flowing.

Pappy

Northern_Blitz
05-02-2023, 05:37 AM

It's how you win when your QB isn't a proven commodity yet.

BURGH86STEEL
05-02-2023, 07:19 AM
Teams will be in close games. Finding ways to win those close games as a team is what it boils down to.

Northern_Blitz
05-02-2023, 07:22 AM
It's what you do to kill a rookie QB when you don't have a good run game.

Why do you want us to push KP to do things he's shown that he isn't good at (yet)? In games anyway...the team knows more about what he does well / struggles with in practice.

I think we want to try to develop him AND win games. And a smart team tries to figure out ways to do both.

Not sure why you want to go the Baker Mayfield way. Put all the pressure on a guy who hasn't earned it. Then flame out.

And all of your comments neglect the fact that KP said that he's been heavily involved in game planning basically since he became the starter. This was the offense that KP wanted last year.

feltdizz
05-02-2023, 08:39 AM
I don't mind close games, it makes for an exciting few hours and gets the adrenaline flowing.

Pappy

true.. but a comfortable win every now and then is fun too.. lol.