PDA

View Full Version : The point in the draft that i began to question..

Ernie
04-30-2023, 03:07 AM
Sitting there at 80.. a few picks away.. hoping for Trent Simpson.. ill have to admit i was aggravated when our pick was up, and we traded out of it... but it ended up being probably the best move of the draft.. moving back 13 spots to get a potential steal at TE.. and acquiring a 4th round pick that lands us the #75 prospect in the draft... and a much needed depth piece at OLB.
It was a thing of beauty..

feltdizz
04-30-2023, 07:20 AM
Steal of the draft??? ;)

Ernie
04-30-2023, 07:41 AM
At this point I'd rank Nolan Smith or Hendon Hooker a little higher... but its definitely a top 5 candidate for SOTD

papillon
04-30-2023, 08:14 AM
At this point I'd rank Nolan Smith or Hendon Hooker a little higher... but its definitely a top 5 candidate for SOTD

Oh no, now we have an acronym for steal of the draft? :shock:

Pappy

Ernie
04-30-2023, 08:23 AM
Oh no, now we have an acronym for steal of the draft? :shock:

Pappy

Im thinking i should patent it.. lol

Northern_Blitz
04-30-2023, 08:36 AM
Sitting there at 80.. a few picks away.. hoping for Trent Simpson.. ill have to admit i was aggravated when our pick was up, and we traded out of it... but it ended up being probably the best move of the draft.. moving back 13 spots to get a potential steal at TE.. and acquiring a 4th round pick that lands us the #75 prospect in the draft... and a much needed depth piece at OLB.
It was a thing of beauty..

Seems like we got some good lottery tickets.

Interesting that we sound like we're going to try to keep Herbig at OLB even though he was saying that teams were telling him that he'd have to move to ILB in the NFL.

Ernie
04-30-2023, 08:54 AM

Interesting that we sound like we're going to try to keep Herbig at OLB even though he was saying that teams were telling him that he'd have to move to ILB in the NFL.

Just read "We" feel comfortable with him in the 240 lb range. Im wondering if that means he will be off the ball some...

Flasteel
04-30-2023, 09:09 AM

What I like about Herbig is that he could potentially rotate in at both OLB and ILB. We don't get the speed that Simpson would have brought, but we get tenacity, size, and possibly position flexibility. Not to mention a freak TE who can further bolster our running game and present a mismatch for anyone trying to cover him. As disappointed as I was to lose out on Simpson at 80, it couldn't have worked out much better than it did.

Oviedo
04-30-2023, 09:29 AM
What I like about Herbig is that he could potentially rotate in at both OLB and ILB. We don't get the speed that Simpson would have brought, but we get tenacity, size, and possibly position flexibility. Not to mention a freak TE who can further bolster our running game and present a mismatch for anyone trying to cover him. As disappointed as I was to lose out on Simpson at 80, it couldn't have worked out much better than it did.

When we didn't get jack Campbell, the next LB I wanted was Herbig. I'm good plus getting Washington in the 3rd round was Christmas in April

NJ-STEELER
04-30-2023, 12:57 PM
I’m guessing they were ok having Simpson get drafted by someone else.

look at pick 32. They had offer to recoup a draft pick and move down.
but they liked the player too much and kept the puck to draft Porter.

if they liked Simpson a lot, I think they would have done the same.