04-28-2023, 07:17 PM
Steelers select CB Joey Porter Jr.

obviously that Daddy / Son thing

The Man of Steel
04-28-2023, 07:19 PM
A “Cutsie” draft pick indeed.

BURGH86STEEL
04-28-2023, 07:21 PM
The Steelers attempted to fill two present/future key positions.

Moonie
04-28-2023, 07:22 PM

A lot of people had him ranked high in the draft. Peasey Jr. will have a long All-Pro career with the Steelers. And to think we got him for ditching that fool Claypool. Goddam!

The Man of Steel
04-28-2023, 07:24 PM
Will Levis to the Titans speaks volumes about Malik Willis’s lack of talent.

Oviedo
04-28-2023, 07:25 PM
At the risk of offending some who want to complain, the team killed it with the first two picks

#49 will be interesting

Northern_Blitz
04-28-2023, 07:25 PM
So....Peterson, Wallace, and Porter.

Which of them is covering the slot in Nickle and Dime?

Porter seems like a good combination of need and BPA.

And the family connection is a Steelers trade mark at this point.

Northern_Blitz
04-28-2023, 07:26 PM

Who knows how it turns out, but I was very worried with all the hype around us wanting to pick him. I thought we were going QB come hell or high water. And I was worried that we might force Willis as the pick. Glad we didn't have to find out.

feltdizz
04-28-2023, 07:28 PM

could also speak volumes about the Titans ability to pick QB’s. I don’t think Levis is anything special.

kindlecatsb'ng
04-28-2023, 07:32 PM
Possible the FO didn't like the offers from the 4 other teams.

The Man of Steel
04-28-2023, 07:32 PM
could also speak volumes about the Titans ability to pick QB’s. I don’t think Levis is anything special.
Had the Steelers drafted Willis last year instead of KP I think Levis and a few other QB’s would have been on the Steelers wish list last night.

Buzz
04-28-2023, 07:38 PM
At the risk of offending some who want to complain, the team killed it with the first two picks

I'm not complaining about the Porter pick, but I'm not super excited about it, either

Would have preferred we trade back a few picks and not only grab a CB, but recoup a 4th round pick

Just have an uneasy feeling that Porter has fairly high bust potential

But we needed a CB, and his daddy played here, so I understand, and am not surprised

Hoping he kills it for the Steelers

Steel Maniac
04-28-2023, 07:40 PM

Sure does.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2023, 07:43 PM
I'm not complaining about the Porter pick, but I'm not super excited about it, either

Would have preferred we trade back a few picks and not only grab a CB, but recoup a 4th round pick

But we needed a CB, and his daddy played here, so I understand, and am not surprised

Hoping he kills it for the Steelers

I feel exactly like you but we have to give it a chance. But if he bust, I will blame this “ cutesie” pick on Tomlin. Tomlin is suppose to be a secondary expert. So this is HIS pick.

NorthCoast
04-28-2023, 07:49 PM
Interesting story by Kaboly this afternoon who had info on the war room last night. Said Tomlin wanted Porter at 17. Kahn apparently convinced him based on his info from other teams that Porter would still be there at 32. Tomlin then gave the go ahead for the trade up for Jones.
Thank Kahn for his homework.

feltdizz
04-28-2023, 07:49 PM
I feel exactly like you but we have to give it a chance. But if he bust, I will blame this “ cutesie” pick on Tomlin. Tomlin is suppose to be a secondary expert. So this is HIS pick.

and if he turns out to be elite will you give Tomlin the credit?

feltdizz
04-28-2023, 07:51 PM
Interesting story by Kaboly this afternoon who had info on the war room last night. Said Tomlin wanted Porter at 17. Kahn apparently convinced him based on his info from other teams that Porter would still be there at 32. Tomlin then gave the go ahead for the trade up for Jones.

Sounds like the war room worked together on this.

Moonie
04-28-2023, 07:55 PM

Wee Peesey will not be a bust. Guaranteed All-Pro.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2023, 07:59 PM

Just confirms that this is Tomlin’s pick. Please be right

Northern_Blitz
04-28-2023, 08:03 PM

I am absolutely shocked that you would blame a pick that doesn't work out on Tomlin. :p

And we all know if he works out, you'll say it's because of talent and not coaching.

Northern_Blitz
04-28-2023, 08:04 PM
Sounds like the war room worked together on this.

Which is how it's always reported except for the Ben pick.

And if people don't think it's collaborative, would this be Tomlin losing a power struggle with Kahn?

Northern_Blitz
04-28-2023, 08:05 PM
Just confirms that this is Tomlin’s pick. Please be right

Or that the Steelers thought Porter would have been an OK pick at 17, so at 32 it's a no brainer.

whisper
04-28-2023, 08:06 PM

I'm just thankful they didn't use a 1st rounder on him. Now let's see if his ints will climb to 8-12 a season - QBs will be throwing his way now. Remember, that was the excuse why he had 1 int his entire college career.

Ernie
04-28-2023, 08:07 PM
Or that the Steelers thought Porter would have been an OK pick at 17, so at 32 it's a no brainer.

100% ive said that all day long with the 32nd pick

Steel Maniac
04-28-2023, 08:10 PM
Wee Peesey will not be a bust. Guaranteed All-Pro.

I really hope you’re right. But Khan is addressing major needs. I love that. No head scratching.

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2023, 08:35 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State - A+ Grade

An A+ grade to kick off Round 2. This is amazing value. Joey Porter Jr. was under consideration for the Steelers' No. 17 overall pick had one of the top four offensive linemen not been on the board. Porter fills a huge need, and he should continue his father's great legacy in Pittsburgh.

https://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades2.php

BURGH86STEEL
04-28-2023, 08:48 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State - A+ Grade

An A+ grade to kick off Round 2. This is amazing value. Joey Porter Jr. was under consideration for the Steelers' No. 17 overall pick had one of the top four offensive linemen not been on the board. Porter fills a huge need, and he should continue his father's great legacy in Pittsburgh.

https://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades2.php
Jr is a Pittsburgher. Enough said.

whatever
04-28-2023, 09:25 PM
Thankfully Tomlin lost power and didn’t reach for his buddy’s kid.
I’m not sure either of these picks will work out but I am happy the new guys are in control now. Im also pleased with both these selections. Not because they will work out(because anyone saying they will have no clue) but because they took positions of obvious need and took players that were projected basically where the were drafted or later.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Possible the FO didn't like the offers from the 4 other teams.

Jr was already in Pittsburgh. I'm thinking they had told him that they wouldn't make any calls. Only if they had their socks knocked off were they not going with him.

Steel Maniac
04-29-2023, 12:07 AM
I am absolutely shocked that you would blame a pick that doesn't work out on Tomlin. :p

And we all know if he works out, you'll say it's because of talent and not coaching.

That’s not true. Another one of your exaggerations. Tomlin is suppose to be a secondary expert by his resume. So any secondary pick is acutely under his watch.

If Porter pans out, of course Tomlin gets the credit.

Go read what northcoast said happened in a previous post. And stop trying to degrade posters who say anything about Tomlin. It gets old.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-29-2023, 04:47 AM
Porter was not tested often and he hands were a bit active on his opponent. He is a playmaker though. Because he is a PSU guy and Porters son he a bit hyped. He can play though and is best matched vs the non quickly receivers. He has the length to defend the edge though. I wish he could wear his father's jersey. 1.) That who be a special rule and it would be cool . 2. ) I own a Porter jersey!

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2023, 03:13 PM
Tim Benz: Slipping to Steelers in 2nd round will be a blessing in disguise for Joey Porter Jr.

Friday, April 28, 2023

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz-slipping-to-steelers-in-2nd-round-will-be-a-blessing-in-disguise-for-joey-porter-jr/

Oviedo
04-29-2023, 03:19 PM
Porter was not tested often and he hands were a bit active on his opponent. He is a playmaker though. Because he is a PSU guy and Porters son he a bit hyped. He can play though and is best matched vs the non quickly receivers. He has the length to defend the edge though. I wish he could wear his father's jersey. 1.) That who be a special rule and it would be cool . 2. ) I own a Porter jersey!

He was single digit "9" at Penn State...maybe he can get "5"

Captain Lemming
04-29-2023, 08:04 PM
Thankfully Tomlin lost power and didnÂ’t reach for his buddyÂ’s kid.
IÂ’m not sure either of these picks will work out but I am happy the new guys are in control now. Im also pleased with both these selections. Not because they will work out(because anyone saying they will have no clue) but because they took positions of obvious need and took players that were projected basically where the were drafted or later.

Tomlin had MORE POWER with a proven SB winning GM? Less power with a rookie at the job?

THAT MAKES PERFECT SENSE- NOT

Or just maybe ALL GMs have the last word (unless the owner chimes in) of a collaboration that includes the coach?

Your Tomlin hate blinds you from the obvious.

If this draft results are what we think, it would seem Khan/Weidl were just was better than Colbert has been.

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2023, 10:27 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fu7hIEcagAEj8b4?format=png&name=small

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-01-2023, 10:56 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fu7hIEcagAEj8b4?format=png&name=small

This is where it is hard to take RAS seriously.

1) One reason the scores are so close is because Trice being 6'3" 206 vs. 6'2" 193 is seen as a big win for Trice. Is it really?

2) For their 20 yard split, Porter rated well (green) while Trice rated poorly (red). The difference was .08 of a second.

I thought very highly of RAS scores until I looked closer at the numbers.

Northern_Blitz
05-01-2023, 11:08 AM
Tomlin had MORE POWER with a proven SB winning GM? Less power with a rookie at the job?

THAT MAKES PERFECT SENSE- NOT

Or just maybe ALL GMs have the last word (unless the owner chimes in) of a collaboration that includes the coach?

Your Tomlin hate blinds you from the obvious.

If this draft results are what we think, it would seem Khan/Weidl were just was better than Colbert has been.

This is the rubric:

GOOD THING: Happens in spite of Tomin.
BAD THING: Happens because of Tomlin.

Northern_Blitz
05-01-2023, 11:13 AM

1) One reason the scores are so close is because Trice being 6'3" 206 vs. 6'2" 193 is seen as a big win for Trice. Is it really?

2) For their 20 yard split, Porter rated well (green) while Trice rated poorly (red). The difference was .08 of a second.

I would also like to see how they determine the colors (and the numerical value of the "score"...to two decimal places).

I think it should be done by standard deviations (distance away from the average based on how far the cohort is away from the average). I think this would get rid of the problem of is 6'3" really different than 6'2".

But if it's done by quintiles or something (five bins with equal number of players), it could artificially make small differences in tightly clustered metrics look really big.

I think it might be interesting if they presented the data both ways and let us see if there's a difference. Seems to me like it wouldn't be too hard to code that way.

But from a marketing perspective, the quintile approach might make it look like your tool is separating players more clearly.

I think one of the best things about this score is that they keep the raw data in the card and it's all shown in a nice small table. And it's easy to compare two people without relying on the colors / scores.

Northern_Blitz
05-01-2023, 11:18 AM

I think the split times are really cool (I like that the raw data is there).

Here we can see that Porter is probably a lot quicker to start, but Trice has higher top end speed because he made that time up by the end of the 40.

Does anyone know how the splits are timed? Is it manual? Either way, it would be interesting to have the same guy run 5 or 10 times (while fully rested). Then we could get a better idea how much precision matters because they guy's time would change.

I think it would also be interesting to see them have to run a 40 in full equipment on a field. I wonder if the extra weight would help or hurt certain guys and if you could end up predicting who would get a bump up or down based on something like their split times (which should tell us about their acceleration, which should tell us about how much force they are producing per lb of mass or something).

I don't think I've ever watched a combine...do they use accelerometers on the players? I bet that data is at least as good as the 40 times.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-01-2023, 12:10 PM
I think the split times are really cool (I like that the raw data is there).

I agree that the splits and the data are cool, but I think that it is overvalued in player evaluation. I've always said that football is the one sport where the most important measurement tool is the eyeball test.

A great example is Cam Sutton. Sutton had probably the highest football IQ on the field. He could read and react before most players recognized the play. How many fractions of a second is that worth? Where is that metric anywhere?

Remember, we go from loving a player who runs a 4.4 in shorts to burying him on our draft board if he runs a 4.6. That is 2/10 of one second based on only running a fly pattern under ideal conditions when everyone knows what you're doing. How quick is .2 seconds? Comparatively, how much time is gained by a player like Sutton with his smarts? You have to see that on film, or in an in-person interview. There is no RAS or PFF score that will measure that.

Northern_Blitz
05-01-2023, 01:53 PM
I agree that the splits and the data are cool, but I think that it is overvalued in player evaluation. I've always said that football is the one sport where the most important measurement tool is the eyeball test.

A great example is Cam Sutton. Sutton had probably the highest football IQ on the field. He could read and react before most players recognized the play. How many fractions of a second is that worth? Where is that metric anywhere?

Remember, we go from loving a player who runs a 4.4 in shorts to burying him on our draft board if he runs a 4.6. That is 2/10 of one second based on only running a fly pattern under ideal conditions when everyone knows what you're doing. How quick is .2 seconds? Comparatively, how much time is gained by a player like Sutton with his smarts? You have to see that on film, or in an in-person interview. There is no RAS or PFF score that will measure that.

I don't disagree. Except in times where you really get to fringe numbers.

I think it was Joel who kept saying that Green would have the shortest arms of any starting C in the NFL. I think you generally don't want to be outside the bounds of normal NFL starters in any category (to the downside anyway...I'm OK if your faster etc).

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2023, 11:43 PM
Steelers NFL Draft Analysis: Joey Porter Jr. is a Steal

The Pittsburgh Steelers shouldn't have been able to land Joey Porter Jr.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/nfl-draft/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-draft-analysis-joey-porter-steal

feltdizz
05-02-2023, 08:50 AM
steelers nfl draft analysis: Joey porter jr. Is a steal

the pittsburgh steelers shouldn't have been able to land joey porter jr.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/nfl-draft/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-draft-analysis-joey-porter-steal

steal of the draft?!!

NorthCoast
05-02-2023, 09:29 AM
I don't disagree. Except in times where you really get to fringe numbers.

I think it was Joel who kept saying that Green would have the shortest arms of any starting C in the NFL. I think you generally don't want to be outside the bounds of normal NFL starters in any category (to the downside anyway...I'm OK if your faster etc).Yea. When you are in the 0%tile on one thing you better be in the 100%tile on something else.

NJ-STEELER
05-02-2023, 12:32 PM
Hearing He never ran the 3cone or short shuttle.

Perhaps a reason why he slid to 32

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2023, 04:16 PM
Cornerback Joey Porter Jr. will wear #24 in honor of Ike Taylor.

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/05/cb-joey-porter-jr-will-wear-24-for-steelers-ike-taylor-says/

BURGH86STEEL
05-02-2023, 04:36 PM

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/05/cb-joey-porter-jr-will-wear-24-for-steelers-ike-taylor-says/
Ike has two SB rings and played in 3 SB's. Ike would be in consideration for the HOF if he could catch. Respect to the OG.

feltdizz
05-02-2023, 05:09 PM

awwe damn, he really can’t catch

NorthCoast
05-02-2023, 09:11 PM
awwe damn, he really can’t catch

Hearing now he did have drops when targeted. Could be Ike2.0, which I actually don't mind. Ike shut out some great receivers in his time.

NJ-STEELER
05-02-2023, 09:51 PM
He made sone nice catches at wr in high school where one of the burgh stations showed highlights.
saw another nice grab on an int but ball was the way out of bounds so he couldn’t get his feet in.
i’ll wait to see what happens in the pros b4 passing judgement

feltdizz
05-03-2023, 10:08 AM
Beautiful father and son moment after Porter Jr wasn’t selected in the first round. Dude has a serious chip on his shoulder and is going to make teams regret “passing” on him.

Joey Porter Sr: “They wanted to see a pissed off player, now they got one… take it personal”

https://twitter.com/NFLFilms/status/1653519737455017984?s=20

hawaiiansteel
05-03-2023, 01:16 PM
Steelers Hall of Famer Mel Blount gave Joey Porter Jr. the stamp of approval Wednesday.

"I think it?s a great pick. We obviously need help in the secondary. Hopefully he can come in and be a great player for us.?

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/05/great-pick-steelers-hall-of-famer-mel-blount-gives-stamp-of-approval-on-joey-porter-jr-selection/

NorthCoast
05-03-2023, 01:20 PM
What's the over/under on the number of PIs he gets called against him this season? Has a rep for being handsy.

Steel Maniac
05-03-2023, 03:11 PM
What's the over/under on the number of PIs he gets called against him this season? Has a rep for being handsy.

That’s what camp is for.

feltdizz
05-03-2023, 03:41 PM

Ramsey had 7 last year, Mathis had 7, Patrick Peterson had 6.

I think the best CB’s will get a decent amount but also get away with a whole lot more.

Patriots were notorious for holding Colts WR’s damn near every play. Refs aren’t going to call it every time.

NorthCoast
05-03-2023, 03:48 PM

I think the best CB’s will get a decent amount but also get away with a whole lot more.

Patriots were notorious for holding Colts WR’s damn near every play. Refs aren’t going to call it every time.KC takes the crown just about every year. Last season = 15 DPIs! But you are right, the refs eventually give up or else they would call it on every play. PIT had 5th fewest DPIs and 0 illegal contacts! Not very aggressive :(

Captain Lemming
05-03-2023, 04:27 PM
I'm just thankful they didn't use a 1st rounder on him. Now let's see if his ints will climb to 8-12 a season - QBs will be throwing his way now. Remember, that was the excuse why he had 1 int his entire college career.

That is silly.
Nobody gets those kinds of numbers.

Northern_Blitz
05-03-2023, 04:40 PM

Patriots were notorious for holding Colts WR’s damn near every play. Refs aren’t going to call it every time.

Maybe higher than that.

The QBs you've listed already have a reputation for being good.

My guess is that you get more penalties when you are a rookie and haven't been shown to be a good player yet. Wonder how many PI's Ramsey had as a rookie?

Kind of like how KP didn't get roughing the passer calls as often as he should have last year.

Captain Lemming
05-03-2023, 04:45 PM
Thankfully Tomlin lost power and didn?t reach for his buddy?s kid.

What makes you think Tomlin had "more" power with Colbert?

Technically, it is the GMs job which is why guys like Tuna and BB wore both hats to control their rosters.

I know some of you guys want to pin all the "bad" on Tomlin but it is silly to assume Tomlin had power over a veteran Super Bowl winning GM, but not with a rookie GM.

Your assumption makes zero sense.

Captain Lemming
05-03-2023, 04:54 PM
Ike has two SB rings and played in 3 SB's. Ike would be in consideration for the HOF if he could catch. Respect to the OG.

Ike with hands is a HOF shoe in. Heck hands are the only think separating peak Ike from Revis.

WindyCitySteel
05-03-2023, 05:57 PM
Ike with hands is a HOF shoe in. Heck hands are the only think separating peak Ike from Revis.

I was never as big a fan of Ike as most, looks like the best evaluators in the history of sport agree with me. BTW, that's like saying "If Pete Rose had deep power, he'd be the home run champion".

https://www.pff.com/news/stories-of-the-season-ike-taylor-%25e2%2580%2593-revis-rival-or-statistical-deception

Northern_Blitz
05-03-2023, 05:58 PM

Technically, it is the GMs job which is why guys like Tuna and BB wore both hats to control their rosters.

I know some of you guys want to pin all the "bad" on Tomlin but it is silly to assume Tomlin had power over a veteran Super Bowl winning GM, but not with a rookie GM.

He followed the rubric:

Things I like: Not Tomlin.
Things I don't like: Tomlin.

Northern_Blitz
05-03-2023, 06:02 PM
I was never as big a fan of Ike as most, looks like the best evaluators in the history of sport agree with me. BTW, that's like saying "If Pete Rose had deep power, he'd be the home run champion".

https://www.pff.com/news/stories-of-the-season-ike-taylor-%25e2%2580%2593-revis-rival-or-statistical-deception

Just because you bought their subscription, doesn't mean they are the GOATs. :p

I think their metrics have value.

But no one evaluation type is the be-all end-all.

Even the one NC was talking about had something like a 40% correlation between the stat and predicting outcomes. That's good. But it means that there's like 60% that it doesn't account for.

NorthCoast
05-04-2023, 07:31 AM
Something Tomlin may have to deal with. Personally, I wouldn't want Sr anywhere near the team during practices, or even games. The Ball example is a good one;

Could father's potential presence around team cause issues for Steelers' Joey Porter Jr.?
Story by Bob Quinn, Steeler Nation ? Yesterday 8:59 AM

The Pittsburgh Steelers used the first pick in the second round of last week?s NFL Draft to select Joey Porter Jr. Porter was linked to the Steelers repeatedly at pick 17 throughout the mock draft process and was considered a top cornerback option that was a lock to be drafted in the first round by someone. After the Steelers made a bold trade to acquire Broderick Jones, it seemed like the Penn State legacy pick was not going to happen.

The 2023 NFL Draft did not unfold as expected, and after a surprising first round, Porter was available. The Steelers, despite the rumors of several attractive offers, held onto the pick and used it to bring the young man who had grown up in the Steelers? locker room home. Most Steelers fans are very happy to have him back in Pittsburgh, but the specter of his father and a hint of nepotism by Mike Tomlin is causing some trepidation in certain media circles.

The PM Team w/ Poni & Mueller's bombastic host Andrew Fillipponi was not shy about reiterating his concerns on the afternoon sports talk show on 93.7 The Fan. He suggested that the relationship between Porter and Tomlin might have been motivation for the draft pick and then laid out his biggest concern.

?I don?t think that Tomlin will put his foot down on Porter?s dad,? Fillipponi posited. ?I don?t think he will tell him to stay away. I think about these situations in youth sports and high school sports. I don?t think it?s wrong to bring up the fact that we have a highly emotional person who just worked for the Steelers a few years ago.?

Joey Porter Sr. was at the heart of a lot of the best moments in recent Steelers history. He was an emotional leader and highly productive edge rusher on a Super Bowl-winning team. Porter also was at the heart of several ugly incidents, including the dubious interaction that produced a win over the Cincinnati Bengals in the 2016 playoffs. Porter is beloved by teammates, and in complete fairness, was a model citizen as a Penn State dad.

The advent of high-profile sports dads like LaVar Ball is cause for some concern, but Ball never reached the heights as a player that Porter did. While he may disagree from the stands, the personal relationship with Tomlin and the instincts to be a great dad are probably going to overrule any impulse to say or do anything negative. Training camp in Latrobe, Pa., is not the environment where parents run orange slices out to their children between drills, and Tomlin is smart enough not to put the player and the team in the position for a negative incident.

?I actually hope Joey Porter Sr.?s coaching career gets back on track,? co-host Chris Mueller interjected. ?He was in the XFL with the Brahmas, I hope someone says he coached really well and maybe we will give him a shot back on our staff in the NFL somewhere or maybe a major college somewhere. I think that is the best thing for all parties involved, he watches his son?s career from afar.?

Porter?s antics during the Bengals playoff game are going to make a return to an NFL sideline a long road to travel. He will likely have to go into college football if he wants to prove himself and that his temperament has evolved to the point where he can keep his emotions in check as a coach. The concerns about his father should not preclude the Steelers from taking a player that seems to fit the scheme that Tomlin wants to play on defense.

?Am I just to assume now that Joey Porter is never going to talk to Mike Tomlin about his son?s playing time,? Fillipponi continued. ?Where he should play, how he should be used, or how he fits into their scheme. I think he will talk his ear off, and I wonder how much will go in one ear and out the other. I have serious questions about this being the right organization for [Porter Jr.] to flourish.?

Family is important to the Steelers and Tomlin. The rumors are already rampant that Matt Canada?s ties to Tomlin?s son at Maryland are the reason that the embattled offensive coordinator is still employed. It is a tremendous disservice to the Steelers head coach to think that somehow the parent of a player, no matter how close the relationship, would influence his decisions on Sunday.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-04-2023, 07:35 AM

It's a ridiculous notion that gets too much play in Pittsburgh. Is say that the last time HC had more say in the draft room than GM was Cowher, after winning a power struggle, forcing out Donahoe, and being involved in the hiring of Colbert.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-04-2023, 01:44 PM
Something Tomlin may have to deal with. Personally, I wouldn't want Sr anywhere near the team during practices, or even games. The Ball example is a good one;

Could father's potential presence around team cause issues for Steelers' Joey Porter Jr.?

The Pittsburgh Steelers used the first pick in the second round of last week?s NFL Draft to select Joey Porter Jr. Porter was linked to the Steelers repeatedly at pick 17 throughout the mock draft process and was considered a top cornerback option that was a lock to be drafted in the first round by someone. After the Steelers made a bold trade to acquire Broderick Jones, it seemed like the Penn State legacy pick was not going to happen.

The 2023 NFL Draft did not unfold as expected, and after a surprising first round, Porter was available. The Steelers, despite the rumors of several attractive offers, held onto the pick and used it to bring the young man who had grown up in the Steelers? locker room home. Most Steelers fans are very happy to have him back in Pittsburgh, but the specter of his father and a hint of nepotism by Mike Tomlin is causing some trepidation in certain media circles.

The PM Team w/ Poni & Mueller's bombastic host Andrew Fillipponi was not shy about reiterating his concerns on the afternoon sports talk show on 93.7 The Fan. He suggested that the relationship between Porter and Tomlin might have been motivation for the draft pick and then laid out his biggest concern.

?I don?t think that Tomlin will put his foot down on Porter?s dad,? Fillipponi posited. ?I don?t think he will tell him to stay away. I think about these situations in youth sports and high school sports. I don?t think it?s wrong to bring up the fact that we have a highly emotional person who just worked for the Steelers a few years ago.?

Joey Porter Sr. was at the heart of a lot of the best moments in recent Steelers history. He was an emotional leader and highly productive edge rusher on a Super Bowl-winning team. Porter also was at the heart of several ugly incidents, including the dubious interaction that produced a win over the Cincinnati Bengals in the 2016 playoffs. Porter is beloved by teammates, and in complete fairness, was a model citizen as a Penn State dad.

The advent of high-profile sports dads like LaVar Ball is cause for some concern, but Ball never reached the heights as a player that Porter did. While he may disagree from the stands, the personal relationship with Tomlin and the instincts to be a great dad are probably going to overrule any impulse to say or do anything negative. Training camp in Latrobe, Pa., is not the environment where parents run orange slices out to their children between drills, and Tomlin is smart enough not to put the player and the team in the position for a negative incident.

?I actually hope Joey Porter Sr.?s coaching career gets back on track,? co-host Chris Mueller interjected. ?He was in the XFL with the Brahmas, I hope someone says he coached really well and maybe we will give him a shot back on our staff in the NFL somewhere or maybe a major college somewhere. I think that is the best thing for all parties involved, he watches his son?s career from afar.?

Porter?s antics during the Bengals playoff game are going to make a return to an NFL sideline a long road to travel. He will likely have to go into college football if he wants to prove himself and that his temperament has evolved to the point where he can keep his emotions in check as a coach. The concerns about his father should not preclude the Steelers from taking a player that seems to fit the scheme that Tomlin wants to play on defense.

?Am I just to assume now that Joey Porter is never going to talk to Mike Tomlin about his son?s playing time,? Fillipponi continued. ?Where he should play, how he should be used, or how he fits into their scheme. I think he will talk his ear off, and I wonder how much will go in one ear and out the other. I have serious questions about this being the right organization for [Porter Jr.] to flourish.?

Family is important to the Steelers and Tomlin. The rumors are already rampant that Matt Canada?s ties to Tomlin?s son at Maryland are the reason that the embattled offensive coordinator is still employed. It is a tremendous disservice to the Steelers head coach to think that somehow the parent of a player, no matter how close the relationship, would influence his decisions on Sunday.

Horrible premise IMO. Joey Porter Jr is of concern because some crackpot nobody of an NBA dad (who has made such ridiculous claims as being able to beat Michael Jordan 1 on 1) exists. Sr. has been a model PSU dad - as per this same article - so why are we assuming he goes all Lavar Ball here? There will be more interaction with coaching intern "Uncle" Ike Taylor, whose number he will be wearing in his honor, and that is a very good thing.

feltdizz
05-04-2023, 03:12 PM
Horrible premise IMO. Joey Porter Jr is of concern because some crackpot nobody of an NBA dad (who has made such ridiculous claims as being able to beat Michael Jordan 1 on 1) exists. Sr. has been a model PSU dad - as per this same article - so why are we assuming he goes all Lavar Ball here? There will be more interaction with coaching intern "Uncle" Ike Taylor, whose number he will be wearing in his honor, and that is a very good thing.

Right? Did anyone see Joey Porter Sr. running around during the draft telling everyone he was the best LB that ever played the game? Is he selling a shoe or a brand?

Ball was a player who never had an impact as an NBA player.

Joey Porter Sr. doesn’t have to overcompensate for his lack of accomplishments because he made it to the top.

It’s disrespectful to put Porter besides that nobody Ball.

and I live in Charlotte too, Ball has NO presence in Charlotte. Not a peep. He realized he was a distraction or his son’s told him to stfu because he was messing up the money.

Captain Lemming
05-04-2023, 05:22 PM

I agree with your Pete Rose analogy. He was GREAT DESPITE not being a home run hitter, because there is more to the game than home runs. Just like Ike was OUTSTANDING despite few picks.

And thank you for demonstrating pffs FLAWED reasoning yet again.

BY FAR AND AWAY the best cover man on THE LEAGUES BEST pass defense, yet you take those clowns word seriously that this man who LEBEAU changed his ENTIRE DEFENSE so he could ELIMINATE our opponents best receiver was OVERRATED?

A man who got ZERO post season accolades EVER was overrated?

You really need to stop reading that silliness. You make WAY more sense when you aren?t mindlessly parroting their ridiculous takes. :)

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2023, 08:43 PM
‘We’ll Work On That’: Omar Khan Not Worried About Joey Porter Jr.’s Lack Of Interceptions

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/05/well-work-on-that-omar-khan-not-worried-about-joey-porter-jr-s-lack-of-interceptions/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Oviedo
05-05-2023, 11:46 AM

"Trepidation in media circles"...who the f*** cares about the media and their Trepidation?

This is the same media who use to kiss Joey Porter s a$$ to get an interview or quote

Trying to create click bait

hawaiiansteel
05-12-2023, 10:31 PM
Khan said they had multiple trade offers for the 32nd pick they were considering until they realized JPJ was going to be available.

had he not been available anymore, they likely were going accept one of the offers to trade down.

Blitzer
05-14-2023, 01:43 AM
I dont think he got a single pick in this weeks rookie otas. cut him now

hawaiiansteel
05-25-2023, 03:16 AM
Why the Slide?: Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

Joey Porter Jr. was a consensus first-round pick for a lot of the 2023 NFL Draft process. As the son of a NFL great, Porter was a high-profile player immediately for Penn State, where he turned in a solid career. However, Porter began to slide late in the process, and here at WalterFootball.com, we discussed in the Hot Press in the days prior to the 2023 NFL Draft that other corners, like Emmanuel Forbes, had overtaken him with teams. Still, Porter was thought a likely first-rounder, but he ended up slipping beyond the opening night.

Team sources from around the NFL told WalterFootball.com that Porter slid because of scheme limitations. Teams felt that Porter was a press-man corner only, and they did not like his fit playing zone or off-man coverage. That hurt the number of teams whose defensive scheme Porter could fit, leaving the teams that play lot of zone or off-man not interested in Porter. Sources also did not like a lack of big plays during Porter's college career.

The Pittsburgh Steelers ended Porter's fall with the opening pick of the second round, meaning he will play for the same franchise as his father. Porter landed with a team that should know how to use him, and he could be developed well by Mike Tomlin and his staff. Porter also has a great veteran to learn from as well with Patrick Peterson coming to Pittsburgh this offseason. While Porter can learn from Peterson, Peterson is not a long-term starter at this point of his career. Porter should challenge for playing time immediately and could be a starter early. If Porter can develop his ability to play off-man and zone, he could turn into a very good pro for Pittsburgh.

https://walterfootball.com/ws2023jporter.php

NorthCoast
05-25-2023, 06:17 AM
Why the Slide?: Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

Joey Porter Jr. was a consensus first-round pick for a lot of the 2023 NFL Draft process. As the son of a NFL great, Porter was a high-profile player immediately for Penn State, where he turned in a solid career. However, Porter began to slide late in the process, and here at WalterFootball.com, we discussed in the Hot Press in the days prior to the 2023 NFL Draft that other corners, like Emmanuel Forbes, had overtaken him with teams. Still, Porter was thought a likely first-rounder, but he ended up slipping beyond the opening night.

Team sources from around the NFL told WalterFootball.com that Porter slid because of scheme limitations. Teams felt that Porter was a press-man corner only, and they did not like his fit playing zone or off-man coverage. That hurt the number of teams whose defensive scheme Porter could fit, leaving the teams that play lot of zone or off-man not interested in Porter. Sources also did not like a lack of big plays during Porter's college career.

The Pittsburgh Steelers ended Porter's fall with the opening pick of the second round, meaning he will play for the same franchise as his father. Porter landed with a team that should know how to use him, and he could be developed well by Mike Tomlin and his staff. Porter also has a great veteran to learn from as well with Patrick Peterson coming to Pittsburgh this offseason. While Porter can learn from Peterson, Peterson is not a long-term starter at this point of his career. Porter should challenge for playing time immediately and could be a starter early. If Porter can develop his ability to play off-man and zone, he could turn into a very good pro for Pittsburgh.

https://walterfootball.com/ws2023jporter.phpThe talent is there. Let's see if the coaching is up to the task.

WindyCitySteel
05-25-2023, 07:19 AM
The talent is there. Let's see if the coaching is up to the task.

Sounds easy. They have blue paint, they should paint the barn blue. If they force him to play in a lot of zone, it's on them. He should the the lockdown corner that follows the #1 WR.

whisper
05-25-2023, 12:57 PM
I dont think he got a single pick in this weeks rookie otas. cut him now

Well, that fits right in with is entire collegiate career, had only ONE pick entire career.

BTW, pro-PoRter advocates argue that the lack of ints in college were ONLY caused from QBs not willing to throw his way vs. PSU, we are going to quickly find out if that is true. How many ints do you think he will have in 2023? 8? 10? 12?

Captain Lemming
05-25-2023, 05:15 PM
Well, that fits right in with is entire collegiate career, ONE pick entire career.

BTW, pro-PoRter advocates argue that the lack of ints in college were ONLY caused from QBs not willing to throw his way vs. PSU, we are going to quickly find out if that is true. How many ints do you think he will have in 2023? 8? 10? 12?

ALL THOSE options are ridiculous to expect. Nobody IN THE LEAGUE had that many picks last year.

I would be perfectly fine if he is elite at locking down a receiver like Ike did with modest picks.

If he did that I?d be fine with zero. I would be thrilled with 3

NorthCoast
05-25-2023, 05:20 PM
ALL THOSE options are ridiculous to expect. Nobody IN THE LEAGUE had that many picks last year.

I would be perfectly fine if he is elite at locking down a receiver like Ike did with modest picks.

☆☆☆☆☆

feltdizz
05-25-2023, 06:37 PM
Well, that fits right in with is entire collegiate career, had only ONE pick entire career.

Those numbers are ridiculously high.

whisper
05-25-2023, 07:06 PM

No, no, no, no. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii it a minute. You pro-Porter supporters are NOT gonna get off that easy. No sir. How many times did I have to read: "He (Porter) can't help if QBs never threw his direction at PSU; you can't pick off passes not thrown your direction." No way are you backing off that assertion now. THAT is what the J Peezy Jr. apologists said going into the draft. No changing that position now. The excuse given was QBs never threw it his direction is why he had virtually no ints at PSU. That should all change now.

Captain Lemming
05-26-2023, 12:01 AM
No, no, no, no. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii it a minute. You pro-Porter supporters are NOT gonna get off that easy. No sir. How many times did I have to read: "He (Porter) can't help if QBs never threw his direction at PSU; you can't pick off passes not thrown your direction." No way are you backing off that assertion now. THAT is what the J Peezy Jr. apologists said going into the draft. No changing that position now. The excuse given was QBs never threw it his direction is why he had virtually no ints at PSU. That should all change now.

There is a HUGE GAP between MORE PICKS THAN ANYBODY and cannot catch at all.

Nobody said he was going to lead the league in picks.

The accurate contention is you cannot judge a guy for not making picks if he gets targeted once a game.

hawaiiansteel
06-08-2023, 02:13 PM
Patrick Peterson: Joey Porter Jr. has the intangibles to be better than me

Posted by Josh Alper on June 8, 2023

Earlier this month, Steelers rookie cornerback Joey Porter Jr. said that his veteran teammate Patrick Peterson has taken him under his wing and showed me the ropes since he joined the team as a second-round pick and Peterson shared some of his approach to being a mentor this week.

Peterson told Amanda Godsey of the Johnstown Tribune-Democrat that he wants to do whatever I can do to help him accelerate the game as fast as I can because he believes the quicker Porter finds success the longer he'll be able to last into this game. The three-time All-Pro went on to say that he's taking particular care to help guide the rookie because he thinks Porter has a very high ceiling.

I just want to continue helping in as many ways as I can because he has all the intangibles to be better than me, Peterson said. I know most greats, or most guys, won't say that, but that's just the type of guy I am. I want to pass on the game and leave it in good hands.

The Steelers signed Peterson to help them on the field this season and the move will look even better if it continues paying dividends through Porter well after Peterson has moved on.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/08/patrick-peterson-joey-porter-jr-has-the-intangibles-to-be-better-than-me/

SteelerOfDeVille
06-08-2023, 02:33 PM
Patrick Peterson: Joey Porter Jr. has the intangibles to be better than me

Posted by Josh Alper on June 8, 2023

Earlier this month, Steelers rookie cornerback Joey Porter Jr. said that his veteran teammate Patrick Peterson has taken him under his wing and showed me the ropes since he joined the team as a second-round pick and Peterson shared some of his approach to being a mentor this week.

Peterson told Amanda Godsey of the Johnstown Tribune-Democrat that he wants to do whatever I can do to help him accelerate the game as fast as I can because he believes the quicker Porter finds success the longer he'll be able to last into this game. The three-time All-Pro went on to say that he's taking particular care to help guide the rookie because he thinks Porter has a very high ceiling.

I just want to continue helping in as many ways as I can because he has all the intangibles to be better than me, Peterson said. I know most greats, or most guys, won't say that, but that's just the type of guy I am. I want to pass on the game and leave it in good hands.

The Steelers signed Peterson to help them on the field this season and the move will look even better if it continues paying dividends through Porter well after Peterson has moved on.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/08/patrick-peterson-joey-porter-jr-has-the-intangibles-to-be-better-than-me/
smart play by pat pete... he might find himself as a db coach if these two young guys have success

NorthCoast
06-08-2023, 04:21 PM
smart play by pat pete... he might find himself as a db coach if these two young guys have successPretty clear to me that Tomlin said to PP; "You're at a point now in your career where you can make your mark mentoring young guys. That's is why we're bringing you here. Make this secondary yours. Your play on the field is just gravy on top".

Steel Maniac
06-08-2023, 04:54 PM
Pretty clear to me that Tomlin said to PP; "You're at a point now in your career where you can make your mark mentoring young guys. That's is why we're bringing you here. Make this secondary yours. Your play on the field is just gravy on top".

I agree. PP is setting himself up for a coach job in the future.

Captain Lemming
06-08-2023, 06:45 PM
Pretty clear to me that Tomlin said to PP; "You're at a point now in your career where you can make your mark mentoring young guys. That's is why we're bringing you here. Make this secondary yours. Your play on the field is just gravy on top".

Translation:
If the youngsters kill it, by next season you might be more a pseudo coach than player.

Like HE said,
It is not just your body baby.
It is your mind. :)

hawaiiansteel
06-18-2023, 01:44 AM
‘Big, Long, Fast And Talented:’ Brian Baldinger Expects Big Things From Pittsburgh’s Rookie Corners -

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/06/big-long-fast-and-talented-brian-baldinger-expects-big-things-from-pittsburghs-rookie-corners/

whisper
06-24-2023, 01:19 PM
‘Big, Long, Fast And Talented:’ Brian Baldinger Expects Big Things From Pittsburgh’s Rookie Corners -

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/06/big-long-fast-and-talented-brian-baldinger-expects-big-things-from-pittsburghs-rookie-corners/

Talended, long and fast is not a prerequisite of being a successful CB, if it were, everyone would have CBs who were that way.

hawaiiansteel
06-26-2023, 09:38 PM
Steelers new-look cornerback group ranks near the middle of the pack, per PFF

The Pittsburgh Steelers have revamped their secondary, and they rank near the middle of the NFL, according to PFF.

Jun 25, 2023

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2023/6/25/23772350/steelers-new-look-cornerback-group-ranks-near-the-middle-of-the-pack-per-pff-nfl-news

hawaiiansteel
06-28-2023, 02:38 AM
Potential Boom Pick

Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State - Round 2

Even prior to losing Cam Sutton in free agency, cornerback was a big need for Pittsburgh. While the Steelers signed veteran Patrick Peterson, he is not a long-term starter, and adding corner talent was a necessity for the team. Joey Porter Jr. was a consensus first-round pick for a lot of the draft process, but he was a late-slider around the NFL. Sources from multiple teams told WalterFootball.com that Porter slid because of scheme limitations. Teams felt Porter was a press-man corner only, and they did not like his fit for playing zone or off-man coverage. That hurt the number of teams that he fit, and sources also did not like the lack of big plays he created during his college career. However, Porter landed with a team that will know how to use him, and he should be developed well by Mike Tomlin and his staff.

Porter is a prototypical press-man corner in pass coverage. He is tall and has crazy arm length that is even longer than other big cornerbacks. His arms give him a massive amount of reach, wingspan, and coverage area that makes it very hard to get passes by him. Porter's length is a rare commodity and gives him a natural advantage. Porter's excellent height and length allow him to cover big receivers to prevent a size mismatch. Porter also is surprisingly fast and can really run for a big cornerback. He has the speed to hustle downfield and does not let receivers get over the top on him.

It would not be surprising to this analyst if the Steelers develop Porter into a solid starter. He could have boom-pick potential for them.

https://walterfootball.com/rookieforecast2023steelers.php

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-29-2023, 10:39 AM
Potential Boom Pick

Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State - Round 2

Even prior to losing Cam Sutton in free agency, cornerback was a big need for Pittsburgh. While the Steelers signed veteran Patrick Peterson, he is not a long-term starter, and adding corner talent was a necessity for the team. Joey Porter Jr. was a consensus first-round pick for a lot of the draft process, but he was a late-slider around the NFL. Sources from multiple teams told WalterFootball.com that Porter slid because of scheme limitations. Teams felt Porter was a press-man corner only, and they did not like his fit for playing zone or off-man coverage. That hurt the number of teams that he fit, and sources also did not like the lack of big plays he created during his college career. However, Porter landed with a team that will know how to use him, and he should be developed well by Mike Tomlin and his staff.

Porter is a prototypical press-man corner in pass coverage. He is tall and has crazy arm length that is even longer than other big cornerbacks. His arms give him a massive amount of reach, wingspan, and coverage area that makes it very hard to get passes by him. Porter's length is a rare commodity and gives him a natural advantage. Porter's excellent height and length allow him to cover big receivers to prevent a size mismatch. Porter also is surprisingly fast and can really run for a big cornerback. He has the speed to hustle downfield and does not let receivers get over the top on him.

It would not be surprising to this analyst if the Steelers develop Porter into a solid starter. He could have boom-pick potential for them.

https://walterfootball.com/rookieforecast2023steelers.php

Man corner
Very good size
Good speed and athleticism, especially for his size
Lacks big plays

This report sounds eerily like another player we've all watched...and JPJ calls him Uncle Ike. No better teacher to help him understand how to play the game with his tools and abilities. If we can be guaranteed an Ike Taylor at this point, I'll take it in a heartbeat.

NorthCoast
07-14-2023, 02:54 PM
Hmm... I guess I assumed all rookies were signed but seems Porter is still hanging out there due to his unusual pick position:

Why have the Steelers have not signed Porter?
The main reason the Steelers have not signed Porter stems from where he was drafted in this year?s draft. Because the Dolphins forfeited their 1st round draft selection, there were only 31 picks in the first round. Joey Porter Jr. was drafted with the 32nd selection. Normally the 32nd selection is a first-round pick. Because of this abnormality in the draft Porter?s rookie contract is considered a 2nd round rookie contract.

The main difference is that only first-round draft choices get the 5th year option built into their contract; Joey Porter Jr. will not have that luxury in his. Hence because he was drafted 32nd and can't get the 5th-year option, it comes down to guaranteed money to offset the lack of a 5th-year option or the amount he receives in his 4th year.

We don?t know how far away they are from reaching a deal. We would have to suspect they are close, but then again, we do not know the specifics of the sticking point of finalizing any deal. Thus, the question is, can the deal be finalized before the Steelers open training camp? With the days winding down, it?s anyone?s guess as to whether his contract will be inked in time.

whisper
07-15-2023, 07:59 PM
Hmm... I guess I assumed all rookies were signed but seems Porter is still hanging out there due to his unusual pick position:

The main reason the Steelers have not signed Porter stems from where he was drafted in this year?s draft. Because the Dolphins forfeited their 1st round draft selection, there were only 31 picks in the first round. Joey Porter Jr. was drafted with the 32nd selection. Normally the 32nd selection is a first-round pick. Because of this abnormality in the draft Porter?s rookie contract is considered a 2nd round rookie contract.

The main difference is that only first-round draft choices get the 5th year option built into their contract; Joey Porter Jr. will not have that luxury in his. Hence because he was drafted 32nd and can't get the 5th-year option, it comes down to guaranteed money to offset the lack of a 5th-year option or the amount he receives in his 4th year.

We don?t know how far away they are from reaching a deal. We would have to suspect they are close, but then again, we do not know the specifics of the sticking point of finalizing any deal. Thus, the question is, can the deal be finalized before the Steelers open training camp? With the days winding down, it?s anyone?s guess as to whether his contract will be inked in time.

He was technically taken in the 2nd round, he should shut up and accept it. More signs of future problems.

Captain Lemming
07-15-2023, 08:20 PM
He was technically taken in the 2nd round, he should shut up and except it. More signs of future problems.

I know. But weve seen this kind of belligerence before in delusional unproven rookie cornerbacks holding out.

I hope he is not the problem child THIS loser was:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/8e/f9/88/8ef988888145604eaa759dcf7187e3bf--steelers-football-pittsburgh-steelers.jpg

pczach
07-15-2023, 08:25 PM
I know. But weve seen this kind of belligerence before in delusional unproven rookie cornerbacks.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/8e/f9/88/8ef988888145604eaa759dcf7187e3bf--steelers-football-pittsburgh-steelers.jpg

Man, if he can be 75% of what Rod was, he may go to the Hall of Fame. We can only hope he has those similarities.

Rod Woodson was an unbelievable player and leader.

Captain Lemming
07-15-2023, 08:45 PM
Man, if he can be 75% of what Rod was, he may go to the Hall of Fame. We can only hope he has those similarities.

Rod Woodson was an unbelievable player and leader.

In the latest installment of meaningless stats that will delight you by Captain Lemming:

The best thing about the Trice pick?

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT OF THE CORNERS THE STEELERS HAVE EVER DRAFTED FROM PURDUE ARE IN THE HALL OF FAME. :)

Blitzer
07-15-2023, 08:48 PM
I know. But weve seen this kind of belligerence before in delusional unproven rookie cornerbacks holding out.

Still sucks how it ended for him with the Steelers

Captain Lemming
07-15-2023, 08:49 PM
Still sucks how it ended for him with the Steelers

I blame Tomlin.

Blitzer
07-15-2023, 08:52 PM
I blame Tomlin.

of course. who else?

pczach
07-15-2023, 09:21 PM
In the latest installment of meaningless stats that will delight you by Captain Lemming:

The best thing about the Trice pick?

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT OF THE CORNERS THE STEELERS HAVE EVER DRAFTED FROM PURDUE ARE IN THE HALL OF FAME. :)

How can I argue with that? :)

whisper
07-15-2023, 09:34 PM

Don't worry, JPJ won't be able to sniff Rod's jock strap by the end of his career, not even sniff it.

Captain Lemming
07-15-2023, 10:55 PM
Don't worry, JPJ won't be able to sniff Rod's jock strap by the end of his career, not even sniff it.

What is with haters obsession with guy nether regions. :)

That said, I agree. I doubt he will be arguably the best cornerback in league history. That is a pretty big ask. But YOU KNOW that was not the point.

Rod had a long hold out INTO THE SEASON as a rookie cornerback. And he was LEGENDARILY GREAT.

TRAINING CAMP HAS NOT STARTED and you speculate Porter might be a problem because he has not signed yet IN JULY. Ridiculous.

Blitzer
07-16-2023, 12:06 AM

How many CBs have been drafted since Rod in 87? Simple math and a little guessing says 40 per draft would be around 1500 CBs. and maybe 3 or 4 have been even close to him. so to say JP2 will not sniff his jock snap is not saying much

whisper
07-16-2023, 12:29 PM
What is with haters obsession with guy nether regions. :)

That said, I agree. I doubt he will be arguably the best cornerback in league history. That is a pretty big ask. But YOU KNOW that was not the point.

Rod had a long hold out INTO THE SEASON as a rookie cornerback. And he was LEGENDARILY GREAT.

TRAINING CAMP HAS NOT STARTED and you speculate Porter might be a problem because he has not signed yet IN JULY. Ridiculous.

It's HIS reasoning or the hold-out that I question: JPJ wants paid as a 1st round pick because in normal years #32 pick would be a 1st-round pick. But due to the NFL taking away a 1st round pick in 2023, #32 was NOT a 1st round pick. It's a technicality, but, in all honesty, JPJ was NOT a 1ST ROUND PICK; HE IS STATED PROPERLY AS A 2ND ROUND PICK. JUST ACCEPT IT AND SIGN, STOP BEING SUCH AN @SS.

Born2Steel
07-16-2023, 03:56 PM
Go get your money!

hawaiiansteel
07-16-2023, 04:19 PM
Go get your money!
nice to see you here posting, welcome to the board! :Cheers

hawaiiansteel
07-18-2023, 12:45 AM
CB JOEY PORTER JR.

Experience: Rookie

Contract status: Remains unsigned

2023 outlook: Porter?s listed birthplace is Bakersfield, Calif. ? but he couldn?t be more Pittsburgh. Porter?s father, of course, played for the Steelers over the first six-plus years of Porter?s life, and the younger Porter went to high school in the area (North Catholic and North Allegheny) and went to college at Penn State. When he was announced as the Steelers? second-round draft pick, Porter made the drive to the Steelers? facility. It was more than his new workplace ? it was where he spent so much time growing up. A friend of Steelers coach Mike Tomlin?s son, Dino, Porter Jr. was frequently at Steelers practices while in high school when Porter Sr. was a Steelers assistant coach.

But for all the sentimentality, Porter Jr. also fills a need for the Steelers, and him falling to No. 32 overall was an unexpected surprise. Some mock drafts had him going in the top 10, and the league invited Porter to Day 1 of its draft. At 6-foot-2 and 198 pounds, Porter is the kind of long and tall cornerback the Steelers (and the NFL at large) is increasingly gravitating towards.

With the departures of three of their top four cornerbacks from last season, the Steelers have openings for roles in their secondary. Holdover Levi Wallace and veteran signee Patrick Peterson would seem to have playing time locked in, but Porter was getting first-team reps at outside corner during organized team activities and minicamp. While plenty is yet to play out, it wouldn?t be a big surprise to see Porter Jr. in the starting lineup for the Steelers? regular-season opener Sept. 10.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-2-a-days-b-t-potter-was-1-of-colleges-best-kickers-joey-porter-jr-born-to-be-a-steeler/

feltdizz
07-18-2023, 11:07 AM
Go get your money!

right? Try to get as much as possible. Its a business. I also wonder if not having the 5th year is an advantage since he can sign his second contract earlier.

pczach
07-18-2023, 11:42 AM
right? Try to get as much as possible. Its a business. I also wonder if not having the 5th year is an advantage since he can sign his second contract earlier.

It can be advantageous for him to not have the 5th year option.

If he balls out and shows that he is an elite cover corner, teams will be lining up with trailers full of cash after his fourth year. But for all the confidence these guys tell you they have, they want the money up front just in case. They like security like everyone else.

He can't change the way things went down in the draft. Just go ball out and the money will come sooner than if you were taken in round one.

Steel Maniac
07-18-2023, 12:28 PM
It can be advantageous for him to not have the 5th year option.

If he balls out and shows that he is an elite cover corner, teams will be lining up with trailers full of cash after his fourth year. But for all the confidence these guys tell you they have, they want the money up front just in case. They like security like everyone else.

He can't change the way things went down in the draft. Just go ball out and the money will come sooner than if you were taken in round one.

He needs to just sign and play. Don't come in being a malcontent. Learn fast, be a leader in a couple of years and management will take care of you. Rooney's are normally good to their own. And Porter is considered our own because of bloodlines ties.

whisper
07-18-2023, 02:50 PM
He needs to just sign and play. Don't come in being a malcontent. Learn fast, be a leader in a couple of years and management will take care of you. Rooney's are normally good to their own. And Porter is considered our own because of bloodlines ties.

Exactly, don't come in and be a problem right off the bat. Not a good way to endear yourself to the team. You were a SECOND ROUND pick, deal with it, stop being an a$$hole.

Blitzer
07-18-2023, 06:19 PM
He is the 32nd pick in the draft. He is just trying to fight for what he can get. it is certainly a unique position. I would fight for every penny. But I would also sign befotre camp.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-19-2023, 10:24 AM

I don't think that I believe the premise of this article. Having first round draft status and the fifth year option greatly favors the team, not the player. Especially in recent years in which teams have chosen to decline the option.

In a nutshell, a first round contract is a 4 year deal. If the player plays well, the team can secure an extra year at a below market price. If not, then the team declines the option and the player hits the open market like any other draft pick from that year. If fifth year was guaranteed then there's a benefit to first round status, but otherwise the team is the one who benefits.

Chucktownsteeler
07-19-2023, 10:29 AM
Take note of Alex Highsmith (third round pick) and his recent signing. If you come in and produce the Steelers will take care of you. Najee needs to come in and work his tail off and negotiate ON-THE-FIELD. If he does the Steelers will take care of him.

Same goes to Porter, JR. Don't worry about the round you were selected, there is nothing that can change that.

hawaiiansteel
08-22-2023, 10:37 PM
On cusp of Steelers preseason finale, Joey Porter Jr. takes 1st-team reps

Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2023

https://triblive.com/sports/on-cusp-steelers-preseason-finale-joey-porter-jr-prepares-as-a-starter-takes-1st-team-reps/

NorthCoast
08-23-2023, 06:16 AM
On cusp of Steelers preseason finale, Joey Porter Jr. takes 1st-team reps

Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2023

https://triblive.com/sports/on-cusp-steelers-preseason-finale-joey-porter-jr-prepares-as-a-starter-takes-1st-team-reps/If Porter ends up being Ike2.0 with hands then the Steelers truly struck gold in this draft. Imagine not have to worry about one side of the field for the next 10 yrs.

WindyCitySteel
08-23-2023, 08:24 AM
If Porter ends up being Ike2.0 with hands then the Steelers truly struck gold in this draft. Imagine not have to worry about one side of the field for the next 10 yrs.

Love this pick and agree. His length allows him to recover where many shorter CBs cannot.

Captain Lemming
08-23-2023, 08:39 AM
If Porter ends up being Ike2.0 with hands then the Steelers truly struck gold in this draft. Imagine not have to worry about one side of the field for the next 10 yrs.

You do know you just made me shed a tear of joy with that comment. :)

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2023, 10:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ING1kuup5e4

hawaiiansteel
09-29-2023, 07:11 PM
Joey Porter Jr. has been LOCKDOWN through three games:

45 coverage snaps
5 targets
1 reception allowed (12 yards)
1 pass defensed
39.6 passer rating allowed

That is the LOWEST passer rating any rookie CB has allowed this season (min. 32 snaps).

Opposing QBs would have the same passer rating throwing the ball into the GROUND as they do throwing at Porter.

The Steelers rookie CB is off to a HOT start

https://twitter.com/NFLRookieWatxh/status/1706423568660082862?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1706423568660082862%7Ctwgr% 5E52e8745023baedd098af400a02c667ce0c797b9b%7Ctwcon %5Es1_&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.steelersuniverse.c om%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%2F34352-Steelers-select-Joey-Porter-Jr-CB-Penn-State-32-overall%2Fpage2

Ghost
10-04-2023, 02:28 PM
Why is Jr. not starting?

Per NFL NextGenStats, when Peterson is the nearest defender in coverage, he leads the Steelers in receiving yards allowed (374) and passer rating allowed to opposing quarterbacks (124.1), including 5 touchdowns allowed.

Steel Maniac
10-04-2023, 02:31 PM
Why is Jr. not starting?

Per NFL NextGenStats, when Peterson is the nearest defender in coverage, he leads the Steelers in receiving yards allowed (374) and passer rating allowed to opposing quarterbacks (124.1), including 5 touchdowns allowed.

Nuff said.

SteelerOfDeVille
10-04-2023, 03:07 PM
I saw a stat earlier today that per PFR, Peterson and Wallace combined for:
- 61.4 completion rate
- 487 yards allowed
- 13.9 yards per completion
- 7 TDs allowed
- 106.5 passer rating
- 9 missed tackles

hawaiiansteel
10-08-2023, 07:42 PM
More Playing Time Coming for Joey Porter Jr?

October 8, 2023

https://steelersnow.com/more-playing-time-coming-for-joey-porter-jr/

feltdizz
10-08-2023, 08:30 PM
but Joey can't catch? Why did he only have 1 INT his last year? :D

NorthCoast
10-08-2023, 09:28 PM
I saw a stat earlier today that per PFR, Peterson and Wallace combined for:
- 61.4 completion rate
- 487 yards allowed
- 13.9 yards per completion
- 7 TDs allowed
- 106.5 passer rating
- 9 missed tacklesAnd some people are seriously asking why Steeler opponents are always wide open. Wallace and Peterson have to be the two slowest start CBs in the league. They let Sutton walk for the likes of these guys?!?

Steel Maniac
10-08-2023, 09:31 PM
And some people are seriously asking why Steeler opponents are always wide open. Wallace and Peterson have to be the two slowest start CBs in the league. They let Sutton walk for the likes of these guys?!?

That’s your boy Teflon T. Lol

feltdizz
10-08-2023, 09:46 PM
That’s your boy Teflon T. Lol

that’s actually a GM decision on who to pay vs let walk.

WindyCitySteel
10-08-2023, 09:48 PM
that’s actually a GM decision on who to pay vs let walk.

You don't think a 16-year HC has any say in personnel decisions? Especially with a first year GM on the job?

feltdizz
10-08-2023, 10:53 PM
You don't think a 16-year HC has any say in personnel decisions? Especially with a first year GM on the job?

The same rookie GM (and Weidl) that we give all the credit for this years draft?

NorthCoast
10-09-2023, 07:27 AM
that’s actually a GM decision on who to pay vs let walk.Then it was Kahn's first big mistake.

They thought they picked up Joe Haden2.0 but instead they got Artie Burns2.0. Not a good signing.

feltdizz
10-09-2023, 08:57 AM
Then it was Kahn's first big mistake.

They thought they picked up Joe Haden2.0 but instead they got Artie Burns2.0. Not a good signing.

yes, I've felt like the last few DB's we lost have been better than what we picked up. Maybe its an admission we are no longer paying out on the defensive side but my goodness, play the rookie if he is as good as the old heads.

Sutton, Maulet, Hilton and Nelson.. all better than what we retained or acquired to replace them.

Play PP in the slot from now on or just keep him for depth.

SteelerOfDeVille
10-09-2023, 09:30 AM
Then it was Kahn's first big mistake.

They knew they'd go CB early and didn't want to invest big in Sutton.

They went looking for an almost over the hill, but not quite yet over the hill veteran to be a stopgap until the incoming class could develop.

Pat Pete was actually GOOD last year. From that perspective, Pat Pete wasn't a bad signing. There's no way to predict his decline would happen overnight.

hawaiiansteel
01-23-2024, 11:49 PM
STEAL of the draft!! :tt2

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240123/5e936ea39dff08063e96456a87e6d6e7.png

NorthCoast
01-24-2024, 07:17 AM
They knew they'd go CB early and didn't want to invest big in Sutton.

They went looking for an almost over the hill, but not quite yet over the hill veteran to be a stopgap until the incoming class could develop.

Pat Pete was actually GOOD last year. From that perspective, Pat Pete wasn't a bad signing. There's no way to predict his decline would happen overnight.Saw where PPeterson played 99% of defensive snaps. Sure seemed like he wasn't on the field at least 25% of the time...:(