PDA

View Full Version : Sid Smythe's 2023 Look Ahead

SidSmythe
04-27-2023, 12:43 PM
When it comes to the Draft I look at the following year more so than the upcoming year.
Even when you hit big with a guy like George Pickens to get productivity in Year 1 you still can't count on that guy holding down the fort.

When I look at the current Depth Chart I see some gaping holes - Right now - that's at Backup OT (and Future Starter if MOORE doesn't take a giant leap).
We have Two CBs w/ starting experience who's contracts expire at the end of the year and they are NOT the answer down the line (Spoon & Wallace).
On top of that if Alex Highsmith is who we think he is - he's good as gone after next season.

Looking from that angle obviously our most glaring needs are:
OT, CB & OLB

So here goes (Using the Available Players according to the latest PFF 7 Round Mock)
R1 (#17): Darnell Wright (OT) - TENNESEE
This guy is Young still and progress very well in the SEC - He has room for improvement. This is such a position of need I passed up on Brian Branch who would've been my pick a week ago.
Right now it's about building around #8 and making sure he's protected.

R2 (#32): John Michael Schmitz (OC) - MINNESOTA
I really wanted my CB here but again - lets get #8 his guy up front - Mason Cole has played well but why not go with an almost "can't miss" guy who could easily go in the 1st Round.

R2 (#49) - DJ Turner (CB) - MICHIGAN
I'm not waiting for a CB at this point - while I was tempted to go EDGE I think Turner adds some speed to the Outside and might be able to play the SLOT.

R3 (#80) - Jordan Battle (S) - ALABAMA
I don't think Kazee is the answer at SS - some healthy competition won't hurt either - I think Battle is versatile and can play all over the field.

R4 (#120) - Byron Young - DL - ALABAMA
Right now the Steelers need someone to rotate in at NT - this guy is more of a Run Stuffer - It pains me to miss out on an EDGE guy this draft but at this point I think Quincy Roche is better than anyone we'll find at this point.

I didn't fill all the holes I wanted but I also don't think you're going to hit on every round so we have to worry about tomorrow another day.
I'd be very happy with what I was able to get (especially my future Center in the 2nd Round)

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2023, 01:10 PM
When it comes to the Draft I look at the following year more so than the upcoming year.
Even when you hit big with a guy like George Pickens to get productivity in Year 1 you still can't count on that guy holding down the fort.

When I look at the current Depth Chart I see some gaping holes - Right now - that's at Backup OT (and Future Starter if MOORE doesn't take a giant leap).
We have Two CBs w/ starting experience who's contracts expire at the end of the year and they are NOT the answer down the line (Spoon & Wallace).
On top of that if Alex Highsmith is who we think he is - he's good as gone after next season.

Looking from that angle obviously our most glaring needs are:
OT, CB & OLB

So here goes (Using the Available Players according to the latest PFF 7 Round Mock)
R1 (#17): Darnell Wright (OT) - TENNESEE
This guy is Young still and progress very well in the SEC - He has room for improvement. This is such a position of need I passed up on Brian Branch who would've been my pick a week ago.
Right now it's about building around #8 and making sure he's protected.

R2 (#32): John Michael Schmitz (OC) - MINNESOTA
I really wanted my CB here but again - lets get #8 his guy up front - Mason Cole has played well but why not go with an almost "can't miss" guy who could easily go in the 1st Round.

R2 (#49) - DJ Turner (CB) - MICHIGAN
I'm not waiting for a CB at this point - while I was tempted to go EDGE I think Turner adds some speed to the Outside and might be able to play the SLOT.

R3 (#80) - Jordan Battle (S) - ALABAMA
I don't think Kazee is the answer at SS - some healthy competition won't hurt either - I think Battle is versatile and can play all over the field.

R4 (#120) - Byron Young - DL - ALABAMA
Right now the Steelers need someone to rotate in at NT - this guy is more of a Run Stuffer - It pains me to miss out on an EDGE guy this draft but at this point I think Quincy Roche is better than anyone we'll find at this point.

I didn't fill all the holes I wanted but I also don't think you're going to hit on every round so we have to worry about tomorrow another day.
I'd be very happy with what I was able to get (especially my future Center in the 2nd Round)
I love the "go get 'em" with Schmitz.
I hadn't even considered that, but it's quite possibly the pick because there are a lot of 2nd round CB that are worthy.
IMO, he really is on par with the Creed Humphrey and Landon Dickerson class.

Do you think Tyrique Stevenson would be on the board at 2.49 or is he long gone? I get the impression they really like him

I love all the positions except the S. I like Battle as a player and *I* wouldn't be upset, but I suspect they'd grab the DL first (there are usually really good finds in the 3rd on the DL), then accept whatever they got in 4.

SidSmythe
04-27-2023, 01:15 PM
I love the "go get 'em" with Schmitz.
I hadn't even considered that, but it's quite possibly the pick because there are a lot of 2nd round CB that are worthy.
IMO, he really is on par with the Creed Humphrey and Landon Dickerson class.

Do you think Tyrique Stevenson would be on the board at 2.49 or is he long gone? I get the impression they really like him

I love all the positions except the S. I like Battle as a player and *I* wouldn't be upset, but I suspect they'd grab the DL first (there are usually really good finds in the 3rd on the DL), then accept whatever they got in 4.

Definitely have CREED HUMPHREY on the Brain - I love MUTH but JMS would ease the pain of watching Humphrey do what he's doing in KC.