PDA

View Full Version : AFC QB's

Joel Buchsbaum
04-26-2023, 05:29 AM
There is Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Rodgers, and Lawerence. Six elite quarterbacks. That is a good group fully capable of leading their team to the playoffs. There has not been one conference this good at quarterback ... ever. They all are elite. And elite coaches are mostly in the AFC. Outside of San Francisco and Philly ( I predict Philly will have a down year ) , the NFC doesn't rate.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-26-2023, 10:02 AM
Mahomes, Burrow, Allen... the others are not.

feltdizz
04-26-2023, 11:58 AM
There is Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Rodgers, and Lawerence. Six elite quarterbacks. That is a good group fully capable of leading their team to the playoffs. There has not been one conference this good at quarterback ... ever. They all are elite. And elite coaches are mostly in the AFC. Outside of San Francisco and Philly ( I predict Philly will have a down year ) , the NFC doesn't rate.

Herbert hasn’t won a playoff game yet but he is elite?

Lawrence has 1 playoff win after throwing a gazzillion INT’s in the first half and luckily, played against Herbert who also
lacked playoff experience and that O had an epic meltdown in the second half.

neither are elite yet.

Rodgers is elite.. but old as hell and
we have no idea if he still has one more run left in him. I think he does but its hard to trust a guy with a head that big. lol

I’m also not sold on Allen just yet. Giant leap from his rookie year, but took a major step back last year and had way too many turnovers.

Northern_Blitz
04-26-2023, 03:52 PM
Mahomes, Burrow, Allen... the others are not.

This.

I dislike how overused the word "elite" is.

To me, it's top 10% of starters at most. So maybe one of Burrow or Allen isn't even on the list. But there's probably an argument that all the elite QBs are in the AFC.

Rodgers was elite. But the decline seems to be steep for old QBs. I think he might be done. And he's now playing for a horribly run franchise.

LPMAN
04-26-2023, 03:56 PM
Rodgers is pretty much done IMO....Mahomes, Burrow Allen are elite...Herbert & Lawrence are just very solid studs. Hopefully if all the Pickett believers are correct Picketts name will be among mention with Herbert & Lawrence very soon.

feltdizz
04-26-2023, 04:05 PM
Rodgers is pretty much done IMO....Mahomes, Burrow Allen are elite...Herbert & Lawrence are just very solid studs. Hopefully if all the Pickett believers are correct Picketts name will be among mention with Herbert & Lawrence very soon.

Pickett will be on their level by midseason.. ;)

SteelerOfDeVille
04-26-2023, 04:20 PM
This.

To me, it's top 10% of starters at most. So maybe one of Burrow or Allen isn't even on the list. But there's probably an argument that all the elite QBs are in the AFC.

Rodgers was elite. But the decline seems to be steep for old QBs. I think he might be done. And he's now playing for a horribly run franchise.
Agree with this completely. If you think that nearly 40% of the QBs in a division are elite, you probably aren't being accurate

NJ-STEELER
04-27-2023, 12:30 AM
you guys do know rodgers was playing with a broken thumb last year. right?

Joel Buchsbaum
04-27-2023, 06:05 AM
Herbert hasn’t won a playoff game yet but he is elite?

Lawrence has 1 playoff win after throwing a gazzillion INT’s in the first half and luckily, played against Herbert who also
lacked playoff experience and that O had an epic meltdown in the second half.

neither are elite yet.

Rodgers is elite.. but old as hell and
we have no idea if he still has one more run left in him. I think he does but its hard to trust a guy with a head that big. lol

I’m also not sold on Allen just yet. Giant leap from his rookie year, but took a major step back last year and had way too many turnovers.

You are a fool not to think Herbert is not elite. The young Lawerence has won 1 more playoff game than the Steelers have in SIX SEASONS.

LPMAN
04-27-2023, 06:51 AM
You are a fool not to think Herbert is not elite.

double negative...i don't think you wrote what you meant.

feltdizz
04-27-2023, 07:18 AM
double negative...i don't think you wrote what you meant.

Not that its not not wrong, but its not what I believe not to be true.

Northern_Blitz
04-27-2023, 10:30 AM

I know this.

I also know that (1) he got traded to the Jets and (2) he'll turn 40 next season (same age Peyton and Ben when they retired).

That's really old for a QB. Like so many things, I think Brady skews our perception of what's possible.

If the end isn't here for Rodgers, I think it's pretty soon.

Northern_Blitz
04-27-2023, 10:35 AM
You are a fool not to think Herbert is not elite. The young Lawerence has won 1 more playoff game than the Steelers have in SIX SEASONS.

What do you think the threshold for being elite is?

I think he's a good young player. But for a QB to be elite I think they generally need to have team success. Marino is the only clear exception I can think of off the top of my head.

Also...interesting to see that you think playoff wins / losses are on the QB. :p

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2023, 11:19 AM
How about this: Elite, Good, Average, Bad, "too soon to know".
There are 16 teams in the AFC. You get 4 *at most* for each category.

Here's how I see them now.

Elite - Mahomes, Burrow, Allen
Good - Rodgers, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson
Average - Garrapolo, Tua, Russell Wilson
Bad - <colts>, <titans>, <texans>
Too Soon to know - Lawrence, Pickett, Herbert, Mac Jones

Obviously, a "too soon" guy can move once we know. What I think of them today:
Herbert is trending towards good.
Mac and Lawrence are trending toward average; Lawrence reminds me of Jay Cutler - has the tools, but gets rattled. If he can calm his nerves, he could be good
I need a second season on KP like I've already got with these other guys to really make a call, but the early call is average with a chance of good

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-27-2023, 11:19 AM
This.

I couldn't agree more. I find it hillarious how obsessed people are with ranking and categorizing everybody, and how it changes based on the most recent game.

feltdizz
04-27-2023, 11:24 AM

what does 1 playoff win have to do with being elite?

I think Herbert’s arm is elite but that doesn’t mean he is an elite QB. Pretty sure he still has a losing record overall.

NJ-STEELER
04-27-2023, 12:32 PM
I know this.

I also know that (1) he got traded to the Jets and (2) he'll turn 40 next season (same age Peyton and Ben when they retired).

That's really old for a QB. Like so many things, I think Brady skews our perception of what's possible.

If the end isn't here for Rodgers, I think it's pretty soon.

before that injury , he was the league mvp the year prior.

I don’t think he’ll be vintage Rodgers but that team had 7 wins last year with crap at qb.
crap that came back from 10points down in the 4th to beat us in a home game.

they’ll challenge for a playoff spot. A spot we are hoping to get …. so now there’s more competition to get into the playoffs.
their defense is young and really good. With bettrr qb play last year, they would have made the playoffs.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-27-2023, 12:38 PM
what does 1 playoff win have to do with being elite?

I think Herbert’s arm is elite but that doesn’t mean he is an elite QB. Pretty sure he still has a losing record overall.

So your saying a man who won a playoffs game at QB isn't elite, but yet you think Tomlin who has not won a playoff game is six years is an elite coach???!!! Do I understand you and using the playoff standard of elite. You're cornered or if you prefer checkmate. A non reply to this point means I'm right.

Northern_Blitz
04-27-2023, 01:36 PM
before that injury , he was the league mvp the year prior.

I don’t think he’ll be vintage Rodgers but that team had 7 wins last year with crap at qb.
crap that came back from 10points down in the 4th to beat us in a home game.

they’ll challenge for a playoff spot. A spot we are hoping to get …. so now there’s more competition to get into the playoffs.
their defense is young and really good. With bettrr qb play last year, they would have made the playoffs.

We'll see.

We've seen elite QBs fall very quickly with guys like Peyton and Ben. Maybe Rodgers is more like Brady, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Mr.wizard
04-27-2023, 02:37 PM

Lawrence is elite??? How??? You rail against Pickett spouting stats from just 11 games and then have the nerve to call Lawrence elite.

Mr.wizard
04-27-2023, 02:42 PM
So your saying a man who won a playoffs game at QB isn't elite, but yet you think Tomlin who has not won a playoff game is six years is an elite coach???!!! Do I understand you and using the playoff standard of elite. You're cornered or if you prefer checkmate. A non reply to this point means I'm right.

Winning a playoff game doesnt make you elite, Tim Tebow won a playoff game for christ sake.

papillon
04-27-2023, 02:45 PM

Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl
Tim Tebow won a playoff game
Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl
Jake Plummer won a playoff game
Michael Vick won 2 playoff games
Too many more to mention

Elite quarterbacks?

Pappy

feltdizz
04-27-2023, 03:42 PM

I missed this nonsense. What the hell does Tomlin have to do with your belief that winning 1 playoff game makes you an elite QB’s?

I know you are desperate to bash Tomlin but stick to the topic.

No.. winning one playoff game does not make you elite. That is the DUMBEST argument I have ever heard on this board.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-27-2023, 04:48 PM
What do you think the threshold for being elite is?

I think he's a good young player. But for a QB to be elite I think they generally need to have team success. Marino is the only clear exception I can think of off the top of my head.

Also...interesting to see that you think playoff wins / losses are on the QB. :p

A good question. I think the threshold for being elite is being in the top 8 for passing yards. If he does this he is among the 8 best QB in the game for arguments sake especially if he places 1st 2nd or 3rd in passing. This is to say he can be considered elite. If a team has not been to the playoff during his tenure he get bonus points, for taking them there.

I think the wins are mostly on the QB, but also on the coach. No way is Tomlin elite. He has not win a playoff game in six years and counting. And he has an elite QB in 4 of 6 of these years.

feltdizz
04-27-2023, 04:52 PM
A good question. I think the threshold for being elite is being in the top 8 for passing yards. If he does this he is among the 8 best QB in the game for arguments sake especially if he places 1st 2nd or 3rd in passing. This is to say he can be considered elite. If a team has not been to the playoff during his tenure he get bonus points, for taking them there.

I think the wins are mostly on the QB, but also on the coach. No way is Tomlin elite. He has not win a playoff game in six years and counting. And he has an elite QB in 4 of 6 of these years.

try to focus.. you said AFC QB’s yet you keep talking about Tomlin.

Blitzer
04-27-2023, 05:22 PM
Hopefully we all agree next year that KP is elite.

BURGH86STEEL
04-27-2023, 06:53 PM
Consistently executing at a high level is how I define elite players regardless of position.

BURGH86STEEL
04-27-2023, 06:56 PM
Hopefully we all agree next year that KP is elite.
I hope KP breaks out in year 2. The realist in me believes he has the best chance to break out in year 3.

The Steelers will do their best to provide an environment for KP to help the team win games.