PDA

View Full Version : Flippy Mock 1.0 - First and Final

flippy
04-26-2023, 04:31 AM
Just wrote up a full draft and analysis and this site flaked out and didn't post it. So here's the players without the analysis because I'm not bothering re-writing it.

1. Brian Branch - S - Alabama
2a. Darnell Washington - TE - Georgia
2b. Jack Campbell - LB - Iowa
3. Tyrique Stevenson - CB - Miami
4. Ricky Stromberg - C - Arkansas
7a. Jason Brownlee - WR - Southern Mississippi
7b. Keondre Coburn - NT - Texas

General thoughts. 1st 3 picks I went guys who I thought might be BPA at a position of need that could see the biggest upgrades and improve us immediately.

By round 3, I realized, I didn't have an OT, C, OLB, WR, DE, NT, or CB. That's 7 positions I think we need to address but only had 4 picks left at that point. That's where I realized no one is gonna be happy with this draft. And we may need to trade back and pick up some extra picks this year. Lots of pressure on the Steelers. Will be interesting to see what they do and there's so many options.

So with the last 4 I just went with guys I thought were BPA at those positions in those rounds. I ran a bunch of mock sims to see who would be available at those spots and each of those guys looked like pretty good prospects that came up a couple of times around those slots.

Overall, not sure I like not coming away with a DE or OT, but I like the players I got and think many could help and contribute.

I do think we need to hit it out of the park with UDFAs. Haven't dug into the likely UDFAs yet, but I know we're gonna need to find a couple of James Harrisons, Willie Parkers, Ramon Fosters, etc. to fill out our roster this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see a big time immediate contribution from a UDFA this year.

LAMBERT72
04-26-2023, 07:05 AM
With all due respect, I don't see the need for a 17th-place safety; I think with Minkah, Kazee, Neal and possibly PP we can wait until the third round at the latest. I also see Branch ranking between 31-34 in several player analyzes. So it seems too soon too me for Branch (always with respect).

I also believe that we have more pressing needs to choose a TE with our second choice.

We need a CB, a T and a DT much more than an S, TE or even an ILB...

With the greatest of respect. Just my two cents.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-26-2023, 08:47 AM
With all due respect, I don't see the need for a 17th-place safety; I think with Minkah, Kazee, Neal and possibly PP we can wait until the third round at the latest. I also see Branch ranking between 31-34 in several player analyzes. So it seems too soon too me for Branch (always with respect).

I also believe that we have more pressing needs to choose a TE with our second choice.

We need a CB, a T and a DT much more than an S, TE or even an ILB...

With the greatest of respect. Just my two cents.
Minkah being FS and the others having shorter term deals, Branch is a possibility, in my mind... but it all depends on how the picks unfold

SteelerMaine83
04-26-2023, 05:12 PM
I like the players, but not the overall draft. I think it misses the mark for us, but you may be 100% right, flippy. :)

Steel Maniac
04-26-2023, 05:59 PM
I like the players, but not the overall draft. I think it misses the mark for us, but you may be 100% right, flippy. :)

That's the sad part...it may be 100% right.

hawaiiansteel
04-26-2023, 06:13 PM
Just wrote up a full draft and analysis and this site flaked out and didn't post it. So here's the players without the analysis because I'm not bothering re-writing it.

General thoughts. 1st 3 picks I went guys who I thought might be BPA at a position of need that could see the biggest upgrades and improve us immediately.

By round 3, I realized, I didn't have an OT, C, OLB, WR, DE, NT, or CB. That's 7 positions I think we need to address but only had 4 picks left at that point. That's where I realized no one is gonna be happy with this draft. And we may need to trade back and pick up some extra picks this year. Lots of pressure on the Steelers. Will be interesting to see what they do and there's so many options.

So with the last 4 I just went with guys I thought were BPA at those positions in those rounds. I ran a bunch of mock sims to see who would be available at those spots and each of those guys looked like pretty good prospects that came up a couple of times around those slots.

Overall, not sure I like not coming away with a DE or OT, but I like the players I got and think many could help and contribute.

I do think we need to hit it out of the park with UDFAs. Haven't dug into the likely UDFAs yet, but I know we're gonna need to find a couple of James Harrisons, Willie Parkers, Ramon Fosters, etc. to fill out our roster this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see a big time immediate contribution from a UDFA this year.

Super Bowl or Bust :tt2

LPMAN
04-26-2023, 06:18 PM

I think we lost a lot of games in the trenches last year, so i'd be really bummed if we didn't taken an offensive linmean or defensive lineman until pick 120.

Of course it might be interesting to the Steelers try to play with just 2 defensive linman taking liquid geritol between snaps.

flippy
04-26-2023, 07:51 PM

The funny part is I totally agree.

I ran a bunch of mocks and looked at the guys likely available consistently at these slots and I was unsure how good/bad some of the linemen were when we were picking and I went with guys I like.

No matter how this goes we have a lot of holes to fill and don’t have enough picks. So that made me think about moving back, but I still would really like to see us move up from 32 to try and get another elite 1st round pick.

That would lock us in the 5th year option and I think it could even be interesting trying to double dip at CB for example 2x in the first round.

This has turned into a passing league and to beat teams like Cincy, not only do we have to score more but we also need to slow down a lot of WRs. I think you need 3 top CBs defensively now. Not likely but what if 2 premiere guys drop?

I still think we’ll have to do some stuff in FA and with UDFAs.

flippy
04-26-2023, 07:56 PM
That's the sad part...it may be 100% right.

For some reason I usually come up with a guy or 2 that folks don’t expect and I mostly pick that guy in the wrong round.

Sometimes it a a stud like a Hargrave and other times it’s a guy I overrate like Claypool that just doesn’t work out.

it’s all random guesses.

flippy
04-26-2023, 07:59 PM
I think we lost a lot of games in the trenches last year, so i'd be really bummed if we didn't taken an offensive linmean or defensive lineman until pick 120.

Of course it might be interesting to the Steelers try to play with just 2 defensive linman taking liquid geritol between snaps.

I was looking for that 7th round Brett Kiesel and I saw Coburn falling into that range and didn’t really understand why he’s rated that low. I think he could be a good player.