PDA

View Full Version : If we trade up to #9

LPMAN
04-21-2023, 01:47 PM
If we trade up to #9 and both Peter Skoronski & Paris Johnson are available who do you pick?

SteelerOfDeVille
04-21-2023, 01:50 PM
I pick up a beer and celebrate the team getting a new LT...

LPMAN
04-21-2023, 01:53 PM
I pick up a beer and celebrate the team getting a new LT...

Good call ! LOL

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2023, 01:54 PM
I don't agree with trading up....... unless you get the next "Polamalu" for "whatever" position.

I think the Steelers will stay put and make the best of the players available to them.

LPMAN
04-21-2023, 01:58 PM
I don't agree with trading up....... unless you get the next "Polamalu" for "whatever" position.

I think the Steelers will stay put and make the best of the players available to them.

You wouldn't trade up to #9 if Jalen Carter was available? I think he's the next Joe Greene / Aaron Donald

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2023, 02:04 PM
You wouldn't trade up to #9 if Jalen Carter was available? I think he's the next Joe Greene / Aaron Donald What would I have to give up to get to number 9? I would not looking at the draft chart. There will never be a Joe Greene or Donald for their eras.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jalen-carter-football-arrest-warrants-deadly-crash-university-georgia-devin-willock-chandler-lecroy/

I understand he got off. The character issues might cause him to fall in the draft. Teams have more to consider more than a players ability to perform on the field.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-21-2023, 02:11 PM
I honestly can't choose, because they each have their pros... Skoronski seems more "scrappy", but Paris has all the measurables...
Seems to me that scrappy guys tend to do better - dream land, you want a scrappy guy with all the measurables.

But, i wouldn't complain about either of them.

Oviedo
04-21-2023, 02:19 PM
Paris seems more of the sure thing as there is already thoughts that Skoronski could be a perennial Pro Bowl Guard, but maybe not the same at Left Tackle

I'd be thrilled to get Jalen Carter though

LPMAN
04-21-2023, 02:27 PM
What would I have to give up to get to number 9? I would not looking at the draft chart. There will never be a Joe Greene or Donald for their eras.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jalen-carter-football-arrest-warrants-deadly-crash-university-georgia-devin-willock-chandler-lecroy/

I understand he got off. The character issues might cause him to fall in the draft. Teams have more to consider more than a players ability to perform on the field.

ok here is a scenario where i traded up & lost 2 of my top 5 picks & another where i traded down & added 2 picks & got 7 players....interesting scenarios....i didnt bother with the two 7th round picks

Would you rather trade up losing 2 draft picks but get these 3 players

7 Jalen Carter DT
24 Darnell Wright OT
120 Henry TooToo ILB

Gained pick #7 for #17 #49
Gained pick #24 for #32 & #80

OR trade down pick #17 and get these 7 players?

31 Brian Branch S
32 Anton Harrison OT
49 Jack Campbell ILB
63 Dawand Jones OT
80 Henry TooToo ILB
120 Siaki Ika DT
122 Tavius Robinson OLB

Gained pick #31 #63 #122 for pick #17

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2023, 02:36 PM
ok here is a scenario where i traded up & lost 2 of my top 5 picks & another where i traded down & added 2 picks & got 7 players....interesting scenarios....i didnt bother with the two 7th round picks

Would you rather trade up losing 2 draft picks but get these 3 players

7 Jalen Carter DT
24 Darnell Wright OT
120 Henry TooToo ILB

Gained pick #7 for #17 #49
Gained pick #24 for #32 & #80

OR trade down pick #17 and get these 7 players?

31 Brian Branch S
32 Anton Harrison OT
49 Jack Campbell ILB
63 Dawand Jones OT
80 Henry TooToo ILB
120 Siaki Ika DT
122 Tavius Robinson OLB

Gained pick #31 #63 #122 for pick #17
Sorry I don't have time to get into hypothetical draft scenarios.

Northern_Blitz
04-21-2023, 03:11 PM
You wouldn't trade up to #9 if Jalen Carter was available? I think he's the next Joe Greene / Aaron Donald

Or the next A Hernandez.

I don't think we trade up to pick a guy who was pretty responsible for a couple of people dying. We've been pretty big on "hearts and smarts" type picks for a while.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-21-2023, 03:11 PM
If we trade up to #9 and both Peter Skoronski & Paris Johnson are available who do you pick?

I wouldn't make this move, but my #1 choice for the Steelers is Johnson.

crushedspirit
04-21-2023, 03:20 PM
Paris, and it's not even close for me. He hasn't even hit his highest peak yet, while I think Skoronski is already close to it.

LPMAN
04-21-2023, 03:34 PM
Or the next A Hernandez.

I don't think we trade up to pick a guy who was pretty responsible for a couple of people dying. We've been pretty big on "hearts and smarts" type picks for a while.

Well we resigned Ernie Holmes after he shot at police hellicopters so it's a risk/reward business determiation. The fact that he's probably going top 10 means most teams don't care people died as long as he stays out of trouble from here on out.

"BuzzNuter"
04-21-2023, 05:49 PM
Well we resigned Ernie Holmes after he shot at police hellicopters so it's a risk/reward business determiation. The fact that he's probably going top 10 means most teams don't care people died as long as he stays out of trouble from here on out.

Ernie Holmes was drafted in the 8th round in 1971. He shot at a helicopter pilot in 1973. There's a big difference in trading up 8 spots in round 1 , which the Steelers won't do. Carter has come across poorly in recent interviews. He hired Drew Rosenhaus to try and clean up his act.

LPMAN
04-21-2023, 06:35 PM
Ernie Holmes was drafted in the 8th round in 1971. He shot at a helicopter pilot in 1973. There's a big difference in trading up 8 spots in round 1 , which the Steelers won't do. Carter has come across poorly in recent interviews. He hired Drew Rosenhaus to try and clean up his act.

I still want Carter with the issues. I've watched the Giants & Rams win Super Bowls partially because of incredible interior line pressure.

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2023, 07:02 PM
I still want Carter with the issues. I've watched the Giants & Rams win Super Bowls partially because of incredible interior line pressure.
When you OWN a team then you can have whatever player you like. I hope that you buy the Browns, Ravens. or Bengals. Steelers fans know what this means.

LPMAN
04-21-2023, 08:08 PM
When you OWN a team then you can have whatever player you like. I hope that you buy the Browns, Ravens. or Bengals. Steelers fans know what this means.

They are all the Browns. Paul Brown was owner of the Browns, then owner of the Bengals. And the Ravens are the old Browns that moved to Baltimore....Steelers fans understand this.

whatever
04-21-2023, 08:49 PM

You mean all those teams that have terrible drafts, HC and owners that have had more recent playoff success?

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2023, 09:00 PM
You mean all those teams that have terrible drafts, HC and owners that have had more recent playoff success?
As a historian, that's life in sports or in history.

LPMAN
04-22-2023, 12:55 AM
I just had a mock draft on ESPN that is so freaking awesome i'm bummed out it's not real...LOL

17 Broderick Jones OT
32 Will McDonald IV OLB
66 Dawand Jones OT
80 Siaki Ika DT
96 TreVius Hodges-Tomlinson CB
120 Henry TooToo ILB

NJ-STEELER
04-22-2023, 03:33 AM
I just had a mock draft on ESPN that is so freaking awesome i'm bummed out it's not real...LOL

17 Broderick Jones OT
32 Will McDonald IV OLB
66 Dawand Jones OT
80 Siaki Ika DT
120 Henry TooToo ILB

I didn’t know ESPN had their own mock simulator.
interesting to see the differences these sites have on players with less then a week to the draft.

17. Broderick. LT
32. Forbes cb Brents also available

52 ( slight trade down ) Campbell ilb

80. Pickens. DT 5 tech

120. Coburn.DT NOSE T

123. A Johnson S

241. Jose Ramirez. OLB

251 D Davis WR

WindyCitySteel
04-22-2023, 08:49 AM

17 Broderick Jones OT
32 Will McDonald IV OLB
66 Dawand Jones OT
80 Siaki Ika DT
120 Henry TooToo ILB

Need ILB higher than that.

LPMAN
04-22-2023, 12:46 PM
Need ILB higher than that.

Then you might like this mock.

17 Broderick Jones OT
46 Jack Campbell ILB
49 Dawand Jones OT
76 Siaki Ika DT
80 TreVius Hodges-Tomlinson CB
120 Tavius Robinson OLB

WindyCitySteel
04-22-2023, 06:11 PM
Then you might like this mock.

17 Broderick Jones OT
46 Jack Campbell ILB
49 Dawand Jones OT
76 Siaki Ika DT
80 TreVius Hodges-Tomlinson CB
120 Tavius Robinson OLB

Like it because you doubled down on T. Throw in a dominant C and we have the new Hogs.

https://media.tenor.com/u9gFqnF5U3YAAAAC/crying-tears.gif

NJ-STEELER
04-22-2023, 08:05 PM
The OL class isn’t a strong one compared to other years except for the center position.

if there’s a draft position we should double down on its corner.
One, because it’s a deep class
Two, because we are extremely thin there.
who do we have at corner going into 2024 ?

pfelix73
04-22-2023, 09:12 PM

IF Jalen Carter is there, we trade up and take him.

WindyCitySteel
04-22-2023, 09:40 PM
The OL class isn’t a strong one compared to other years except for the center position.

if there’s a draft position we should double down on its corner.
One, because it’s a deep class
Two, because we are extremely thin there.
who do we have at corner going into 2024 ?\

I'm down with that, too. Build a dominant position group in one fell swoop.

Chadman
04-22-2023, 11:07 PM
My issue with trading UP for Paris or Skoronski is....are they significantly better than Jones out of Georgia?

Are they 2 draft picks more valuable than Anton Harrison, Cody Mauch, Dawand Jones etc?

The fact the Steelers have pick 32 means you get, PROBABLY, at worst, a shot at the 5th best OT in the draft at #32.

Someone said you trade up for a Polamalu type player, and I agree. Paris Johnson & Skoronski are probably the best 2 OL in the draft. But are they THAT MUCH better than Jones? If Jalen Carter isn't a head case, you trade up for that kind of player. I wouldn't trade up for a CB either, for the record. At #17 you'll get a shot at the 3rd best CB (probably). Are any of the top 3 THAT far ahead of the other options? Even if you miss on all 3, the second tier group is strong through to the 3rd round without giving up capitol.

For mine, there are very few players in the draft I'd consider worth trading up for. In fact, this a great draft to trade down a few & pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd pick.