PDA

View Full Version : So if the Steelers draft

whatever
04-21-2023, 10:50 AM
a player earlier than any/most of the rankings, it isn’t a reach because the Steelers had him on their board at that spot. BUT if the Steelers draft a player that is ranked higher and lasts past that spot, the player is a ‘steal’?
How can the exact same rankings be valid for one pick but not another?

Northern_Blitz
04-21-2023, 11:02 AM
I think it's likely that whoever they draft will have people claiming that they are a reach.

It doesn't look like there's a sure thing that people feel like will be there at 17.

Any time I've seen someone float a name people think is likely to be there, the response seems to be "Would prefer to draft him at 32".

It's only in someone's fantasy land that people on here say every pick is the steal of the draft.

I think the most common comments on a draft pick are "this isn't the guy I would have taken, but I can understand why they did it".

Captain Lemming
04-21-2023, 11:28 AM
a player earlier than any/most of the rankings, it isn’t a reach because the Steelers had him on their board at that spot. BUT if the Steelers draft a player that is ranked higher and lasts past that spot, the player is a ‘steal’?

Results determine what a steal is not pre-season rankings by internet yahoo's. Mahommes was a "steal" even though nobody had him as the number one pick prior to the draft.

If another team picked Tom Brady in say the 4th round, it would STILL be a steal if he became a HOFer.

That is why teams got to go with THEIR boards not internet gurus. People say it is a "reach" because gurus say said player would be available later. Or conversely he is a "steal" because gurus expected for him to be gone.

Teams HAVE NO IDEA what other teams think beyond the obvious.

If "I" think a player is best available, I cannot bank on the idea that I am the only one who sees it and bet he will be available later.

That is why judging a draft pick as a reach or a steal immediately after the draft is ridiculous.

Personally, I don't judge picks after a draft anymore.

I try to figure out "why" we make a pick and am "hopeful" they got it right.

whisper
04-21-2023, 11:46 AM
It's only in someone's fantasy land that people on here say every pick is the steal of the draft.

Have you been around for other drafts? There are always those claiming every pick is glorious and a steal. "He's a 1st round talent drafted in the 4th round" and things of that nature are not unusual. Of course, such assertions are almost never true. They said that about Mason Rudolph and Jeremy Staat. I think Colbert said that Green was a super steal for OC at the time. That didn't quite turn out.

feltdizz
04-21-2023, 01:26 PM
Have you been around for other drafts? There are always those claiming every pick is glorious and a steal. "He's a 1st round talent drafted in the 4th round" and things of that nature are not unusual. Of course, such assertions are almost never true. They said that about Mason Rudolph and Jeremy Staat. I think Colbert said that Green was a super steal for OC at the time. That didn't quite turn out.

and there are always people who complain and say our pick will be a bust.

yin and yang

LPMAN
04-21-2023, 01:34 PM

Martavius Bryant was a first round talent we drafted in round 4 because of his weed issues which came to fruition as he smoked himself out of the league. When you get a high talent later it's because of some issue concern. Usually it's injury....We got Heath Miller at the end of round 1 when he probably goes middle to top if not injured in college

feltdizz
04-21-2023, 01:41 PM
Martavius Bryant was a first round talent we drafted in round 4 because of his weed issues which came to fruition as he smoked himself out of the league. When you get a high talent later it's because of some issue concern. Usually it's injury....We got Heath Miller at the end of round 1 when he probably goes middle to top if not injured in college

Didn’t Pickens drop to the 2nd because of injury and rumors of a bad attitude?

NorthCoast
04-21-2023, 01:48 PM
How can the exact same rankings be valid for one pick but not another?Your comment is implying that every single team's boards are identical and every team values every position the same. Nothing could be further from the truth. That is why some players fall and some rise.

I posted a writeup a couple of years ago that showed just how badly the media is at picking the eventual draft picks. It's laughable really.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-21-2023, 01:49 PM
a reach is in the eye of the beholder...
I remember all the reach talk when the Colts took Dwight Freeney... turned out they were right...

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2023, 01:51 PM

The Steelers and other teams have their own grades and rankings on players based on a variety of factors. Fans either like or don't like draft picks. Keep in mind that fans have less knowledge than the teams that spend millions of dollars and countless hours evaluating players. Even with the millions of dollars spent and countless man hours, organizations can't evaluate every player equally.

NJ-STEELER
04-21-2023, 01:58 PM

what in the heck had miller shown that he would be ever considered or a top 10 pick?
good all around TE for sure but he never had any eye popping attributes like say kyle pitts

without injuries maybe he goes 20-25

LPMAN
04-21-2023, 02:03 PM
what in the heck had miller shown that he would be ever considered or a top 10 pick?
good all around TE for sure but he never had any eye popping attributes like say kyle pitts

without injuries maybe he goes 20-25

I meant top of the middle not top 10

Iron City Inc.
04-21-2023, 02:05 PM

Bryant was not a first round talent. What he had was upside but he ran such a limited route tree in college teams including us knew they would have to teach him how to be a NFL receiver. Big? Check. Fast ? Check
Can he play wr on Sundays? Maybe.
I remember watching veteran Lance Moore took Bryant under his wing and drilled him on come back routes and how to sink his hips and break down working back to the qb. That year 14 was also with Haley who I remember working a lot with our receivers at Latrobe but after practice and long after practice it was Lance Moore who taught Bryant the route tree. It paid off to as we all know MB for a short time was special.

NJ-STEELER
04-21-2023, 02:14 PM
I meant top of the middle not top 10

if anything, history has shown you can get his skill set later in the draft

witten 3rd rd
gronk 2nd
kelce 3rd
kittle 5th

Oviedo
04-21-2023, 02:16 PM
What exactly is the point to this thread?

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2023, 02:18 PM
You know. To put people on record for their opinions. Eventually, hammer those fans, the coaches, and the organization.

LPMAN
04-21-2023, 02:30 PM
you know. To put people on record for their opinions. Eventually, hammer those fans, the coaches, and the organization.

hahahahahaha! :)

Blitzer
04-21-2023, 02:36 PM
I would say the last "Steal" we had was TJ. 30th? I would say on a redraft 25-29 teams would pick him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-21-2023, 03:48 PM
No matter who the Steelers pick in any round....

- I will be intrigued and want to see more of them
- I won't be arrogant enough to think that I know more about that player - and whether or not he was a good pick, than people who do this for a living
- I will be patient and watch to see if the player shows what the team was hoping for

feltdizz
04-21-2023, 04:08 PM

to let everyone know they better watch what they type during the draft or else?

feltdizz
04-21-2023, 04:09 PM
You know. To put people on record for their opinions. Eventually, hammer those fans, the coaches, and the organization.

“STOP THE STEAL…

of the DRAFT!!!”

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2023, 05:03 PM
“STOP THE STEAL…

of the DRAFT!!!”
No one stole anything. I recognize people for what they are. Every fan base has a doubter or a jester. We can present facts but for some reason those individuals continue to doubt.

I can tell people until I recognize that sports generally boil down to "high level" individuals that must "executed". I can teach an induvial all I know as my profession. Can those individuals execute on what I said? Probably not. It takes time and experience.

Simon Biles might be the greatest gymnastic athlete in US history. She failed to execute.... Mental pressure? Life pressure? She executed enough to win gold medals................. and possibly become the greatest in women's gymnastics in history.

Respect. The win now society demands more.

whatever
04-21-2023, 05:15 PM

It obviously went over your head. Hear the skinny.
That, by you saying a player is a steal, a great pick, a reach or any other thing about the Steelers or any other team has ZERO credible or validity.
You can’t call our draft great and other teams terrible.
The only thing you can say is you like a certain player or the position taken.
You can’t act like you knew anything about a player after he was selected. You had the chance to list the ‘steeler types’ and you didn’t do it.
Don’t use kipers(or any others pundits) rankings to lain we got a ‘steal’ then discount the same rankings if we take a player earlier than where he was ranked.

whatever
04-21-2023, 05:17 PM

Or just accountability.
Good or bad.

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2023, 05:48 PM
Or just accountability.
Good or bad.
I don't know how you define accountability. I can say that the Steelers as an organization has ONE man in charge over every decision. Tomlin can go the boss and say I want this coach. Boss man can say yes or no. For example, if Flores said I want 3 mill as a position coach. Boss man is like NO. If Flores said I will take 100 grand..... then Boss man is like YES.

So do you understand the factors at play? At the end of the day it probably boils down to MONEY. Rooney isn't cheap. After many years of continuous ownership he knows how to manage and win.

This is how ALMOST every NFL franchise functions. Decisions are not ever made without the man in charge signing off on the checks.

feltdizz
04-21-2023, 05:56 PM
That, by you saying a player is a steal, a great pick, a reach or any other thing about the Steelers or any other team has ZERO credible or validity.
You can’t act like you knew anything about a player after he was selected. You had the chance to list the ‘steeler types’ and you didn’t do it.
Don’t use kipers(or any others pundits) rankings to lain we got a ‘steal’ then discount the same rankings if we take a player earlier than where he was ranked.

or what? what are you going to do when people call a pick a steal or talk about a draft pick after he is selected?

You sound crazy dude..

all you can do is complain about like you do every year.

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2023, 06:03 PM
Or just accountability.
Good or bad.
Do you hold this type of power to others accountable? Where does accountability begin and end? Should every Steelers player live up to YOUR standards?

Other players and coaches get paid too. The Steelers are among the GREAT organizations in the Superbowl era. Even the greatest organizations eventually have down years and seasons. This is reality, good or bad.

whatever
04-21-2023, 07:03 PM
I don't know how you define accountability. I can say that the Steelers as an organization has ONE man in charge over every decision. Tomlin can go the boss and say I want this coach. Boss man can say yes or no. For example, if Flores said I want 3 mill as a position coach. Boss man is like NO. If Flores said I will take 100 grand..... then Boss man is like YES.

So do you understand the factors at play? At the end of the day it probably boils down to MONEY. Rooney isn't cheap. After many years of continuous ownership he knows how to manage and win.

This is how ALMOST every NFL franchise functions. Decisions are not ever made without the man in charge signing off on the checks.

Not sure what you are talking about.
I think you are directing this to the wrong poster.

whatever
04-21-2023, 07:08 PM
or what? what are you going to do when people call a pick a steal or talk about a draft pick after he is selected?

You sound crazy dude..

all you can do is complain about like you do every year.

Yup. I’ll call them out.
I’ll ask them how they came to that conclusion.
What inside info did they have to make that claim. Why did the other 32 teams pass on such a steal?
I gave people plenty of time to list their ‘steeler types’ . Only 1 gave one player, the last I checked.
Ant you ante lying again. Show me where I complained about every pick every year.

whatever
04-21-2023, 07:17 PM
Do you hold this type of power to others accountable? Where does accountability begin and end? Should every Steelers player live up to YOUR standards?

Other players and coaches get paid too. The Steelers are among the GREAT organizations in the Superbowl era. Even the greatest organizations eventually have down years and seasons. This is reality, good or bad.

You’re missing the main point.
Fans will rave about every pick (almost) and talk about how great our drafts always are. They talk crap about other teams drafts.
They talk up the organization , the HC, the fans, act as if the Steelers are better than everyone else and do things so much different.
Where are the results for being superior in every aspect over the other team’s?
When some fans criticize the team, they instantly get bombarded with hate.
This fan base is no different than any other one. You have a bunch of rah rah guys with lots of enthusiasm it little football knowledge.
I have a problem with those ones, and I’ll let them know.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-22-2023, 04:59 AM
I think it's likely that whoever they draft will have people claiming that they are a reach.

It doesn't look like there's a sure thing that people feel like will be there at 17.

Any time I've seen someone float a name people think is likely to be there, the response seems to be "Would prefer to draft him at 32".

I think the most common comments on a draft pick are "this isn't the guy I would have taken, but I can understand why they did it".

The NFL should make teams release their draft boards for the fans after the draft is over. Then we the fans could get a look at how they view all of the players!

Joel Buchsbaum
04-22-2023, 05:06 AM
You’re missing the main point.
Fans will rave about every pick (almost) and talk about how great our drafts always are. They talk crap about other teams drafts.
They talk up the organization , the HC, the fans, act as if the Steelers are better than everyone else and do things so much different.
Where are the results for being superior in every aspect over the other team’s?
When some fans criticize the team, they instantly get bombarded with hate.
This fan base is no different than any other one. You have a bunch of rah rah guys with lots of enthusiasm it little football knowledge.
I have a problem with those ones, and I’ll let them know.

Yep. Some fans actually know what the are talking about and can do better than the team they root for, particularly the bad ones. The draft is an educated guess on how football players will do in the NFL, a league they never played in. The true art to the draft if matching value of the player in a given round with need of a position while considering scarcity.

feltdizz
04-22-2023, 07:57 AM
The NFL should make teams release their draft boards for the fans after the draft is over. Then we the fans could get a look at how they view all of the players!

lmao.. this is hilarious.

feltdizz
04-22-2023, 08:00 AM
Yup. I’ll call them out.
I’ll ask them how they came to that conclusion.
What inside info did they have to make that claim. Why did the other 32 teams pass on such a steal?
I gave people plenty of time to list their ‘steeler types’ . Only 1 gave one player, the last I checked.

You sound like this..
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BabyishFreeBassethound-max-1mb.gif

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-22-2023, 01:12 PM

So we're acknowledging that any reaction to a draft pick is simply low-information opinion and support or complaint of the FO. It really is not a commentary on a person's scouting expertise, so really no reason to hold anyone to account.

I'll go on record as saying I'm fine with that and any reaction I have - whether I agree with a pick or not - is based in hope that the braintrust made the right decision.

feltdizz
04-22-2023, 01:26 PM
So we're acknowledging that any reaction to a draft pick is simply low-information opinion and support or complaint of the FO. It really is not a commentary on a person's scouting expertise, so really no reason to hold anyone to account.

I'll go on record as saying I'm fine with that and any reaction I have - whether I agree with a pick or not - is based in hope that the braintrust made the right decision.

its just his admission that he hates seeing fans celebrate picks and show enthusiasm for the draft.

its ridiculous and psychotic… lol.

you must show proof of your evaluation for a draft pick or what? Face the wrath of a whatever post? lmao :D

whatever
04-22-2023, 02:23 PM

Exactly.
The thing is we have certain fans that praise every/almost every pick even tho they know little to nothing about them.
If you(me) disagrees with the pick we are instantly a hater and doesn’t know anything.
So I’m giving those fans an opportunity to prove how much smarter they are than me about these players yet none have taken me up on it.
I’m also ok with most of the positions that are picked. I do have have to trust the organization but am also understanding that there will be bad selections. I also thinks it’s ok not to like a player or position drafted and should be allowed to voice that opinion without all the ‘hate’.
But seeing that some can’t resist, I’m willing to call them out.

whatever
04-22-2023, 02:29 PM
its just his admission that he hates seeing fans celebrate picks and show enthusiasm for the draft.

its ridiculous and psychotic… lol.

you must show proof of your evaluation for a draft pick or what? Face the wrath of a whatever post? lmao :D

Obviously I have struck a huge nerve. Great, that was my goal.
I have no problem with fans getting excited or showing enthusiasm. It’s those that think every pick/almost every pick is pure gold.
Of course you know that but will continue to make up lies.
If you are so knowledgeable claims w these picks are great, why not take the challenge and list your ‘steeler types’. Rank the players according to your profession knowledge and ‘film review’. That way we will know who are steals or busts when they get drafted.

feltdizz
04-22-2023, 05:39 PM
Obviously I have struck a huge nerve. Great, that was my goal.
I have no problem with fans getting excited or showing enthusiasm. It’s those that think every pick/almost every pick is pure gold.
Of course you know that but will continue to make up lies.
If you are so knowledgeable claims w these picks are great, why not take the challenge and list your ‘steeler types’. Rank the players according to your profession knowledge and ‘film review’. That way we will know who are steals or busts when they get drafted.

and who are those fans who like every pick? I already proved you wrong when you claimed everyone loved the DJ pick. It was the exact opposite in the draft thread the moment he was selected.

You aren’t striking a nerve but you have spent a lot of time bashing this mythical fans that you created in your mind.

Who on here raves about every pick? Say their names instead of being a coward and just lying about these so called fans who
love every move we make.

I have a real job so the last thing I’m going to do is spend all day researching players.. and I damn sure wouldn’t do it to answer to you instead of doing it because it brings me joy.

who gives a sh#t if some fans like all the picks? Why does that matter? I don’t think its true but even if those super fans exist what do you think you can do about it? Shame them? Run them off the board for liking the team?

I know you don’t see it because you jumped on the wagon after leaving the Lions fanbase but who cares if those people like all the picks? You think you can change their fandom by bashing them for liking Steeler players?

WindyCitySteel
04-22-2023, 05:54 PM
Why are you so worried about Steelers fans' draft reactions? Every fanbase does this.

LPMAN
04-22-2023, 06:01 PM
I feltdizzy reading this thread.

feltdizz
04-24-2023, 10:38 AM
I feltdizzy reading this thread.

wait until the follow up after the draft. That’s always entertaining. You better not like a draft pick if you weren’t familiar with them before the draft!

Positive outlooks have consequences!!!

Northern_Blitz
04-24-2023, 11:37 AM
wait until the follow up after the draft. That’s always entertaining. You better not like a draft pick if you weren’t familiar with them before the draft!

Positive outlooks have consequences!!!

And even if the general feeling on the board is that we don't really like the pick, others will come back in 6 months and talk about how everyone was saying it was the steal of the draft!

feltdizz
04-24-2023, 04:07 PM
And even if the general feeling on the board is that we don't really like the pick, others will come back in 6 months and talk about how everyone was saying it was the steal of the draft!

oh, I’m sure it will be said on day 2 or day 3. Every year we have about 3 of them.. lol.

Last year is was Leal and Robinson and Austin! :p