PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Strength of Schedule

NorthCoast
04-19-2023, 08:52 PM
Steelers finally catch a break after the last few seasons
:

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/2023-nfl-strength-of-schedule.jpg

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball

LPMAN
04-19-2023, 08:59 PM
Saints, Facons & Panthers are 1,2&3 because they play each other twice! LMAO

SteelerOfDeVille
04-20-2023, 01:35 AM
I don't think the Steelers schedule is as easy as we might think... Browns will be better simply because Watson will have camp, etc, so that'll be 2 games against an underrated team. A split with them would be a good outcome. I think they're going to be a problem in our division for a couple of seasons

NorthCoast
04-20-2023, 07:43 AM
I don't think the Steelers schedule is as easy as we might think... Browns will be better simply because Watson will have camp, etc, so that'll be 2 games against an underrated team. A split with them would be a good outcome. I think they're going to be a problem in our division for a couple of seasonsIf the Steelers have trouble defending against Amari Cooper and DPJones then they will have a lot more to worry about than the Browns this year.

feltdizz
04-20-2023, 10:32 AM
I don't think the Steelers schedule is as easy as we might think... Browns will be better simply because Watson will have camp, etc, so that'll be 2 games against an underrated team. A split with them would be a good outcome. I think they're going to be a problem in our division for a couple of seasons

nope.. not worried about Watson and the Browns. 4-2 in the AFCN this year at the worst.

whisper
04-20-2023, 11:16 AM
nope.. not worried about Watson and the Browns. 4-2 in the AFCN this year at the worst.

I think we most likely lose 2 to Cinci and at least 1 more to Balt. or Browns: 3-3 at best.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-20-2023, 11:24 AM
dude, I hope you're right... but 4-2 is BOLD.
for his career, Watson's underrated... he's had some QB rating numbers that are pretty high level (if not elite) to start a career. I mean, I hope he's toast, but I'm not willing to "call it" just yet.

feltdizz
04-20-2023, 12:25 PM
for his career, Watson's underrated... he's had some QB rating numbers that are pretty high level (if not elite) to start a career. I mean, I hope he's toast, but I'm not willing to "call it" just yet.

Watson also went 4-12 when he had an amazing year. Individual stats doesn’t guarantee wins.

whisper
04-20-2023, 12:39 PM
:

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/2023-nfl-strength-of-schedule.jpg

Hahaha, NE has the toughest schedule. Could be Hoodie's last year there.

feltdizz
04-20-2023, 01:11 PM
I think we most likely lose 2 to Cinci and at least 1 more to Balt. or Browns: 3-3 at best.
sweep Cleveland and split with Rats and Bungels

NorthCoast
04-20-2023, 02:53 PM
for his career, Watson's underrated... he's had some QB rating numbers that are pretty high level (if not elite) to start a career. I mean, I hope he's toast, but I'm not willing to "call it" just yet.Just checked F.O. (who adjusts their rankings based on defenses) and seen that Watson was #14, #10, #12, #5 in QB rankings starting from his rookie season. In 2022 he was not ranked because he had less than 200 passes. But his stats would have put him at #28.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-21-2023, 05:52 AM
:

Having a 3rd or 4th place schedule generally helps. Unless of course your Cleveland or cheat like New England. Good data.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-21-2023, 06:01 AM
By the way Waren Sharp's website, Sharp football is very detailed and offers a very good analysis.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com

NorthCoast
05-10-2023, 07:06 AM
Here's another take on strength of schedule for 2023. Steelers still looking good but let's see how well PHI does after their pattycake schedule last year:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52885474212_c76fcc7c0a_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2oziSYU)capture (https://flic.kr/p/2oziSYU) by R W (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/), on Flickr

feltdizz
05-10-2023, 07:10 AM
I always say the SOS can’t be trusted before the season but I really hope these rankings hold this year. :)

WindyCitySteel
05-11-2023, 07:12 AM
I always say the SOS can’t be trusted before the season but I really hope these rankings hold this year. :)

You just can't account for injuries and who is playing well when you play them, and vice versa. We all marked probably marked Tampa as an L last year and the Jets as a W.

NorthCoast
06-22-2023, 07:14 AM
Good news Steeler fans. The schedule just got easier!

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/SOS-updated-5-15.jpg

I'm smelling Superbowl!! :tt1:Cheers:tt2:tt2:tt1

feltdizz
06-22-2023, 08:35 AM
Good news Steeler fans. The schedule just got easier!

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/SOS-updated-5-15.jpg

I'm smelling Superbowl!! :tt1:Cheers:tt2:tt2:tt1

That would be lovely.

whisper
06-22-2023, 12:55 PM
You just can't account for injuries and who is playing well when you play them, and vice versa. We all marked probably marked Tampa as an L last year and the Jets as a W.

Most had weEk...

1.) a loss @ Cinci. (W)
2.) a win vs. Pats (L)
3.) a win at Cleve. (L)
4.) a win vs. Jets. (L)
5.) a loss @ Bills (L) and was it ever, a total domination.
6.) a loss vs TB (W), surprising one
7.) about even @ Miami (L)
8.) a loss @ Philly (L) and was it even, total destruction
9.) about even vs. NO (W).
10.) loss vs. Cinci (L)
11.) about even @ Indy (W)
12.) win @ ATL (W) just barely hung on
13.) win vs Balt (L)
14.) win @ Carl (W)
15.) win vs. LV (W) just barely
16.) win @Balt (W) JUST BARELY
17.) win vs Cleve (W) by a lot

(bye week not included)

Goes to show you, predicting wins and loses not easy.

feltdizz
06-22-2023, 02:17 PM
Most people had us winning 8 games or less.

No way most people had us winning 9 games minimum. Not many people had us going 4-2 in the AFCN and sweeping Balt last year.

NJ and I … and of course Flippy, were the only one’s I know on here who predicted 11 or more wins.

SteelerOfDeVille
06-22-2023, 02:38 PM
This... Lamar-less Ravens of 2022 are a good example - team gets them twice...
I also would imagine that with a camp and full offseason, DeShaun Watson improves over his 2022 performances. That's 4 games against improved teams

(I've been on a life raft all of my own on that one, but I hope we've improved enough to stay ahead of the Browns - I'm actually worried about them. I still think he's out to prove that he's worth the $$ they invested)

NorthCoast
06-22-2023, 02:55 PM
I also would imagine that with a camp and full offseason, DeShaun Watson improves over his 2022 performances. That's 4 games against improved teams

(I've been on a life raft all of my own on that one, but I hope we've improved enough to stay ahead of the Browns - I'm actually worried about them. I still think he's out to prove that he's worth the $$ they invested) The only injury that seems to move Vegas lines are to the QB. All else is noise. Sharp did the historical work and saw that Vegas is not all that far off for the majority of teams. For example, the Steelers certainly won't go from one of the easier schedules to one of the harder ones based on injuries (non-QB).

Steel Maniac
06-22-2023, 02:55 PM

(I've been on a life raft all of my own on that one, but I hope we've improved enough to stay ahead of the Browns - I'm actually worried about them. I still think he's out to prove that he's worth the $$ they invested)

I'm with you. I think Watson is going to look more like the 2020 Watson.

Oviedo
06-22-2023, 03:04 PM

You mean the QB who led his team to a 4-12 record. I 'm hoping for that guy too

whisper
06-22-2023, 03:06 PM

There are some Browns fans - realistic ones, not their version of Yinzer types - who believe the coaching is pretty bad in Cleveland, starting right with the head coach, who they refer to as a "June Jones type." And, as an added negative, they feel the owner is meddling and totally screws up team chemistry. Something is amiss with this team, so I don't know if Watson can overcome all of that.

feltdizz
06-23-2023, 07:00 AM
You mean the QB who led his team to a 4-12 record. I 'm hoping for that guy too

Just proof a QB can’t win on his own. He had a great year in 2020 but the team was doo doo. I believe this was the year JJ Watt apologized to him in a presser for the team effort.

Also remember this was his first year without DHop.

Joel Buchsbaum
06-23-2023, 07:04 AM
Saints, Facons & Panthers are 1,2&3 because they play each other twice! LMAO

Our 2023 opponents won and lost record will determine the strength of our schcedule. 6 of the 10 teams who have the easiest schedule are in the NFC according to this chart.

feltdizz
06-23-2023, 08:11 AM

I don’t understand the worry for Cleveland. Every year people predict they will put things together and they were only able to do it once in the last 20 years. I guess this could be why but I need to see it before I give them the benefit.

SteelerOfDeVille
06-23-2023, 09:20 AM
I don?t understand the worry for Cleveland. Every year people predict they will put things together and they were only able to do it once in the last 20 years. I guess this could be why but I need to see it before I give them the benefit.
Short answer, they have talent. They have a solid defense. They have a really good RB. They upgraded their WR.

Basically, the worry all hinges on whether Watson stays trash or whether he pulls it back together...

feltdizz
06-23-2023, 09:45 AM
Short answer, they have talent. They have a solid defense. They have a really good RB. They upgraded their WR.

Basically, the worry all hinges on whether Watson stays trash or whether he pulls it back together...

He missed almost 2 season’s of football and it wasn’t due to injury. Even if he returns to form I doubt they turn things around because its Cleveland.

Steel Maniac
06-23-2023, 11:25 AM
There are some Browns fans - realistic ones, not their version of Yinzer types - who believe the coaching is pretty bad in Cleveland, starting right with the head coach, who they refer to as a "June Jones type." And, as an added negative, they feel the owner is meddling and totally screws up team chemistry. Something is amiss with this team, so I don't know if Watson can overcome all of that.

I too think that Stafanski is the only real question mark for that team. But this year is truth or tell time for him too. If that offense doesn't pan out, Stafanski may get rolled.

Steel Maniac
06-23-2023, 11:26 AM

It is all their for them..talent wise.

hawaiiansteel
06-23-2023, 12:49 PM
I too think that Stafanski is the only real question mark for that team. But this year is truth or tell time for him too. If that offense doesn't pan out, Stafanski will be fired at the end of the year.

the Browns are hanging onto Stefanski for far too long, just like the way the Dolphins did with Don Shula.

as soon as Cleveland fires him, they will start winning multiple Super Bowls like how Miami did after getting rid of their bum head coach.

oh wait...:p

BURGH86STEEL
06-23-2023, 03:38 PM
I don't think there are any easy schedules in the NFL.

feltdizz
06-23-2023, 04:14 PM
I don't think there are any easy schedules in the NFL.

Not sure anyone said easy, but there are certainly “easier” schedules when compared side by side.

NorthCoast
06-23-2023, 04:38 PM
Not sure anyone said easy, but there are certainly ?easier? schedules when compared side by side.

☆☆☆☆

_________

BURGH86STEEL
06-23-2023, 05:24 PM
Not sure anyone said easy, but there are certainly “easier” schedules when compared side by side.
Based on what? Last season? Last season is done and over bro.

Where do KEY injuries or injuries fall into the equation? Face the Chiefs without Mahomes. The Bengals without Burrow?

The reality is this. The Steelers have the less experienced and less accomplished QB in the division heading into the 2023 season.

How did the other teams on the Steelers schedule improve from 2022 to 2023? How will the season play out for the opposition? I would understand this "easier" schedule hypothesis if everything stayed the same in the NFL.

BURGH86STEEL
06-23-2023, 05:26 PM
☆☆☆☆

_________
Does every team stay the same from year to year in the NFL? Do teams attempt to improve year to year? Where do the changes fall into fans view of the schedule? *****

BURGH86STEEL
06-23-2023, 05:30 PM
☆☆☆☆

_________
Last season is done and over. Constant change is a fact of life in the NFL, pro sports, and life. Do I get five stars for pointing out this?

BURGH86STEEL
06-23-2023, 05:44 PM
Sorry folks but I don't view the NFL schedule as easy or "easier" because of the many "mind fields" that can happen during an NFL season.

I think that Steelers fans should know and understand this by now.

BURGH86STEEL
06-23-2023, 07:14 PM
Strength of schedule is based on 2022. 2023 will be a different season. The Rams won the SB in 2021 and won 5 games in 2022.

Northern_Blitz
06-23-2023, 07:34 PM
☆☆☆☆

_________

How do you make the stars? I can't figure it out!!! :p

BURGH86STEEL
06-23-2023, 08:17 PM
How do you make the stars? I can't figure it out!!! :p
I can make stars. ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ I am the general of generals .

feltdizz
06-23-2023, 08:44 PM
Based on what? Last season? Last season is done and over bro.

Where do KEY injuries or injuries fall into the equation? Face the Chiefs without Mahomes. The Bengals without Burrow?

The reality is this. The Steelers have the less experienced and less accomplished QB in the division heading into the 2023 season.

How did the other teams on the Steelers schedule improve from 2022 to 2023? How will the season play out for the opposition? I would understand this "easier" schedule hypothesis if everything stayed the same in the NFL.

Well, this is why I said earlier I HOPE it holds true.

I?m aware things can change. Once the season is over we will see how accurate the SOS holds up.

Regardless, once the season ends.. there will be schedules that are ?easier?
than others. Happens every year.

I do agree we have no idea how this plays out.

BURGH86STEEL
06-23-2023, 09:13 PM
Well, this is why I said earlier I HOPE it holds true.

I?m aware things can change. Once the season is over we will see how accurate the SOS holds up.

Regardless, once the season ends.. there will be schedules that are ?easier?
than others. Happens every year.

I do agree we have no idea how this plays out.
This is why SOS from 2022 doesn't matter heading into the 2023 season. Players improve. Players are cut. Player are traded. Players are signed.

It's good for fan talk , radio talk, social media talk, blah blah blah.

WindyCitySteel
06-23-2023, 09:37 PM
This is why SOS from 2022 doesn't matter heading into the 2023 season. Players improve. Players are cut. Player are traded. Players are signed.

It's good for fan talk , radio talk, social media talk, blah blah blah.

You'll never know the true strength until the end of the season, but some rank it based on projected win totals, not just last year's record.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/2023-nfl-strength-of-schedule/

NorthCoast
06-26-2023, 11:52 AM
You'll never know the true strength until the end of the season, but some rank it based on projected win totals, not just last year's record.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/2023-nfl-strength-of-schedule/

☆☆☆☆
It's the one I posted. Vegas gets it pretty darn close year after year. It's not perfect. Nothing is.
Example; Steelers were projected 7.5 wins last year. Vegas missed by 1.5 games. BUT, it's pretty rare for a team projected to win 10-12 games and only end up with 3 or 4.
Think about it. Vegas lines are based on tens of thousands of knowledgeable fans that follow their teams every move. Sheer numbers say they will get it close.

feltdizz
06-26-2023, 12:28 PM
Fans and talking heads love rankings. SOS, Power rankings, etc..

Teams change every year and 1 injury can impact team chemistry.

Its not an exact science. No one should lose sleep over it.

WindyCitySteel
06-26-2023, 04:44 PM
Outside of the division games (and we do well against Jackson and Watson might still stink), I see one potentially elite QB on the schedule -- Trevor Lawrence. Not afraid of Kyler and Geno, they can hurt you, but not top ten guys.

I think that's the best way to look at the schedule.

feltdizz
06-26-2023, 04:52 PM
Outside of the division games (and we do well against Jackson and Watson might still stink), I see one potentially elite QB on the schedule -- Trevor Lawrence. Not afraid of Kyler and Geno, they can hurt you, but not top ten guys.

I think that's the best way to look at the schedule.

Biggest concern for me is West Coast games. We haven’t had much success out west even when we outplayed teams.

NorthCoast
06-27-2023, 01:06 PM

I think that's the best way to look at the schedule.How dare you. Didn't your PFF rank Geno in the top 10?

WindyCitySteel
06-27-2023, 06:55 PM
How dare you. Didn't your PFF rank Geno in the top 10?

He had a good year, still don't think he's elite, expect a regression to the mean this year.

NorthCoast
08-23-2023, 06:40 AM
Sorry folks but I don't view the NFL schedule as easy or "easier" because of the many "mind fields" that can happen during an NFL season.

I think that Steelers fans should know and understand this by now.For any given team you are right but for the aggregate Vegas gets it pretty darn close year after year. They wouldn't stay in business otherwise. Here's the latest schedule changes based on Vegas win totals for opponents. Lions and Jags move up in strength from the OP. That puts the Steelers in the bottom quarter (i.e, easier).

NFL Strength-of-Schedule Rankings (2023)

Rank
Team
Combined Win Totals of 2023 Opponents

New England Patriots

Buffalo Bills

Kansas City Chiefs

Las Vegas Raiders

Miami Dolphins

Los Angeles Rams

Minnesota Vikings

New York Jets

Washington Commanders

Denver Broncos

Arizona Cardinals

Baltimore Ravens

Dallas Cowboys

Los Angeles Chargers

New York Giants

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Philadelphia Eagles

Seattle Seahawks

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Jacksonville Jaguars

Pittsburgh Steelers

Tennessee Titans

Houston Texans

Chicago Bears

Carolina Panthers

San Francisco 49ers

Indianapolis Colts

Atlanta Falcons

New Orleans Saints

Or, if you like the traditional previous year's win % here's the ranking:

Rank
Team
Opponents' Winning Percentage

Philadelphia Eagles

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

T-4
Dallas Cowboys

T-4
New York Giants

New York Jets

Buffalo Bills

Washington Commanders

LA Rams

Las Vegas Raiders

Arizona Cardinals

T-12
LA Chargers

T-12
Denver Broncos

T-12
Seattle Seahawks

San Francisco 49ers

Kansas City Chiefs

Cincinnati Bengals

Chicago Bears

Minnesota Vikings

Detroit Lions

Baltimore Ravens

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Jacksonville Jaguars

Green Bay Packers

Pittsburgh Steelers

Cleveland Browns

Carolina Panthers

Tennessee Titans

Indianapolis Colts

Houston Texans

New Orleans Saints

Atlanta Falcons

So now when the Steelers shine this season a few can queue the 'yea, but it was a cakewalk schedule'......

Joel Buchsbaum
08-23-2023, 08:15 AM
We play three games on the WEST Coast. The Steelers do not travel well to west under Tomlin.

https://www.steelers.com/news/steelers-release-2023-schedule

Steel Maniac
08-23-2023, 10:22 AM
I'm going to slide into Sofi and check them out against the Rams. Rams are tanking and we should drop a 30 + burger on them easily.

NJ-STEELER
08-23-2023, 01:49 PM
We play three games on the WEST Coast. The Steelers do not travel well to west under Tomlin.

https://www.steelers.com/news/steelers-release-2023-schedule

rams stink.
Raiders aren’t much better.

seattke is tough to play in the cold. And it’s on New Year’s Eve.
man’s their one of the more impressive teams in camp/preseason according to nfl radio ( Steelers are too ;) )
It will be tough match up

Steel Maniac
08-23-2023, 02:03 PM
He had a good year, still don't think he's elite, expect a regression to the mean this year.

Don't sell Pete Carroll short; he's given him another weapon, beefed up the O-line and tweaked up the defense. They've got a tough schedule thou.

NJ-STEELER
08-23-2023, 08:54 PM

he's playing really well in camp reportedly

Northern_Blitz
08-24-2023, 08:52 AM

Flagged for adding subjective opinions? :p

Northern_Blitz
08-24-2023, 09:20 AM
Second half of this video talks about strength of schedule based on opposing QB rankings. Kind of interesting IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQk4ZpjWWhQ&ab_channel=DKPittsburghSports% 7CSteelers

whisper
08-24-2023, 12:54 PM
So now when the Steelers shine this season a few can queue the 'yea, but it was a cakewalk schedule'......[/FONT]
[/FONT]

If Pgh makes the postseason and gets their clock cleaned again, giving up 40+ for the 4th playoff game in a row, then those assertions won't be so far off.

feltdizz
08-24-2023, 01:03 PM
If Pgh makes the postseason and gets their clock cleaned again, giving up 40+ for the 4th playoff game in a row, then those assertions won't be so far off.
and if we win a playoff game you guys will scan the opponent’s injury report to make an excuse for the W.

We know how this works with Stain trolls :p

NJ-STEELER
08-24-2023, 05:29 PM
he's playing really well in camp reportedly

forgot to add that phil simms last year said he's a different player then when he entered the league. and phil was around a lot when smith played for the giants and jets.

maybe a lightbulb turned on after bouncing around with a few teams

NJ-STEELER
08-24-2023, 05:40 PM
So now when the Steelers shine this season a few can queue the 'yea, but it was a cakewalk schedule'......

you act like people didn't cry about

wHAt a hArD sKeDDuLE tHe sTiLLErs hAD
because they faced the eagles and bills

while losing to the mac jones and kyle wilson led pats and jets at Home.
2 QBs and offenses often ridiculed here

whisper
08-24-2023, 05:50 PM
you act like people didn't cry about

wHAt a hArD sKeDDuLE tHe sTiLLErs hAD
because they faced the eagles and bills

while losing to the mac jones and kyle wilson led pats and jets at Home.
2 QBs and offenses often ridiculed here

Both those losses were pathetic. And we lost to the Bills and Eagles 73-16 collectively. And both games could have been far worse.