PDA

View Full Version : It's Not Pick 17, It's Pick 32 "Most Important"

NorthCoast
04-17-2023, 11:27 AM
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2023/4/17/23684825/pick-no-32-is-the-pittsburgh-steelers-most-intriguing-yet-most-important-chase-claypool-bears-trade

Pick No. 32 is the Steelers’ most intriguing, yet most important
Story by Bradley Locker • 17m ago

“The NFL Draft for 2023 is officially open. The Carolina Panthers are on the clock.”

While the 2023 NFL Draft is still 10 days away, I can already hear Commissioner Roger Goodell uttering those words, standing in front of tens of thousands of impassioned fans in Kansas City’s Union Station. As Goodell shares that statement, the first round will officially begin on Thursday night in primetime.

Quite simply, there’s nothing like the first night of the Draft. The top prospects available, many of whom are viewed as game-changing with All-Pro potential. The maneuvering of picks to put oneself in position to land a franchise-altering player. The understanding that, with its pick, each team must avoid the dreaded four-letter word: “bust.”

Even though there is one fewer pick on April 27 — following the Miami Dolphins’ forfeiture of their initial selection — all of those uncanny elements will remain the same. Likewise, when the Steelers make their selection at No. 17 (contingent based on trading up or down, of course), the pressure will be on to land a supreme talent with a prodigious impact for years.

That aforementioned lost pick is significant this year, though. By holding the Bears’ second-round selection after trading for Chase Claypool, Pittsburgh will effectively choose at No. 32, meaning that only 31 players will be off the board when Omar Khan and company will make their second call of the night.

Therein lies the fun of this year’s Draft for the Steelers.

In terms of football situations, the first round is similar to trailing in a game with two minutes to go. A team has to go out and execute to earn a victory and a warm feeling; in this case, it means adding a quality player who will be counted on for years, and one that satisfies its fanbase sooner rather than later.

For the Steelers, the team’s most pressing needs remain lucid: cornerback, offensive tackle, linebacker and edge rusher (especially after not signing Bud Dupree and cutting Jamir Jones). If Pittsburgh’s brain trust does not draft a player at one of those four slots in Round One, it would be tough to envision the selection being graded positively.

Over time and recently, there have been teams to eschew bigger issues to simply draft based on the Best Player Available (BPA) approach. Take, for instance, the Cowboys picking CeeDee Lamb in 2020, or even the Ravens nabbing Kyle Hamilton last season. Both organizations have since justified the picks based on others ultimately moving on, but they were somewhat surprising in the moment.

While the Steelers appear set to add at one of those four positions detailed earlier, anything becomes on the table at Pick 32 — view it as a free play after an edge rusher has just jumped offside. Why not take a shot down the field?

By picking a CB, OT, ILB or EDGE in the first, Pittsburgh will be bolstering a roster that already has few starting spots open. With one of a slim number of “holes” now plugged, Khan & Co. would have even greater flexibility to reinforce whatever positions they would like. There’s hardly a better spot to do that than with the first pick in the second round.

In an event like the draft, with 32 organizations evaluating and grading players differently, it’s inevitable that certain athletes will be taken below their projected landing spots. In the first round, this means that bonafide stars can trickle to Day Two. For example, the Steelers snatched George Pickens at Pick 52, though his Expected Draft Position was 38.8, per Grinding the Mocks. Other players that slipped last year included Andrew Booth Jr., Boye Mafe and Kyler Gordon.

Which prospects may end up falling below their expected slots? Some candidates for this year include WR Jordan Addison, EDGE Will McDonald IV, EDGE Keion White — a bit of a surprise attendee of the draft in person — DL Bryan Bresee, DB Brian Branch or even DL Lukas Van Ness. Coincidentally, all would be a fit based on the Steelers’ needs, meaning a major contributor would be swooped up.

Further, the Steelers could easily attack other weaker groups more intentionally. More specifically, linebacker seems to be a hotbed in the early-to-mid second round. Iowa’s Jack Campbell and Arkansas’ Drew Sanders are both likely to be untouched by the start of the period and could transition right into black and gold.

At the same time, the concept of a true blue-chip player sitting like a glowing sapphire in the rough is tantalizing. What if Georgia TE Darnell Washington is left? Texas RB Bijan Robinson?

Despite a lack of overt need, it would be tough to pass on either. For Washington, dreams of the 6-foot-7 monster attacking the seams with Pat Freiermuth are awfully compelling. In the case of Robinson, forming a Medusa of Najee Harris, Robinson and Jaylen Warren would keep defenses up for weeks.

While these circumstances might seem more like a Madden Ultimate Team roster, they very well could be something the Steelers confront on April 28. At what point does pure talent transcend positional need? That’s something Khan, Andy Weidl and Mike Tomlin will have to ask themselves, probably at Pick 32.

Of course, the Steelers may not actually take anyone to begin the second — that is, if the pick is traded. With the selection being equivalent to a late first-rounder, teams will assuredly covet it. According to the Fitzgerald-Spielberger NFL Draft Trade Value Chart, Pick No. 32 has a value of 1244, which is worth Picks 81 (third) and 147 (early fifth), for example.

An organization could easily trade up for Tennessee QB Hendon Hooker if he makes it to Day Two. Conversely, Pittsburgh could package 32 in a maneuver to trade up, or even land someone like Cardinals safety Budda Baker.

Overall, by possessing the first pick among the “second wave” of players available, the Steelers, in many ways, control the destiny of not just their own draft class, but also the rest of the draft. Whether a familiar name or an unanticipated star, Pittsburgh’s first second-round pick may not just transform its 2023 outlook — it could provide deeper clues regarding the franchise’s direction in future years.

Oviedo
04-17-2023, 11:35 AM
I agree. Pick #32 may be one of the most important we have selected in the past decade. Essentially a second 1st Round pick

NorthCoast
04-17-2023, 11:43 AM
I agree. Pick #32 may be one of the most important we have selected in the past decade. Essentially a second 1st Round pickLet's keep our fingers crossed that it turns out a whole lot better than the last time the Steelers had 2 first round picks...:D

whatever
04-17-2023, 12:28 PM
Pleeeeeaaase.
Every pick is important.
Acting as if this one is any different is asinine.

feltdizz
04-17-2023, 12:40 PM
Pleeeeeaaase.
Every pick is important.
Acting as if this one is any different is asinine.

Its going to be a long 10 days for you.. lol

then the discussions on the “steal of the draft” immediately after it ends.

Arrrgh… so much to complain about

whatever
04-17-2023, 12:53 PM
Its going to be a long 10 days for you.. lol

then the discussions on the “steal of the draft” immediately after it ends.

Arrrgh… so much to complain about

Heck no, I’m looking forward to it.
I’m giving everyone the opportunity to list the ‘Steeler types’ before the draft,that way, anyone that uses that phrase about a player after we draft them can be called out as a lemming.

My ‘steal of the draft’ posts in years past have made a huge impact .
The guilty ones are now trying to save face by making jokes about the phrase now.
I can see me having the same success with my ‘list the steeler types’ post in years to come.

Northern_Blitz
04-17-2023, 01:11 PM
I agree. Pick #32 may be one of the most important we have selected in the past decade. Essentially a second 1st Round pick

Yep.

This draft will be a pretty important part in determining how competitive we are with Pickett on his rookie deal.

If we hit on 3 of those first 4 picks, maybe we end up having a pretty special few years (provided KP turns out to be average to above average).

Ghost
04-17-2023, 01:25 PM
This pick might be going away if the Steelers trade w/ the Bears for the #9 pick.

Iron City Inc.
04-17-2023, 01:30 PM
Bradley Locker did not bring much to the table with this write up. Holding the 1st pick in round 2 controlling the draft is a stretch. It's important having that pick but again tell us something we didn't already know.

feltdizz
04-17-2023, 02:16 PM
I’m giving everyone the opportunity to list the ‘Steeler types’ before the draft,that way, anyone that uses that phrase about a player after we draft them can be called out as a lemming.

The guilty ones are now trying to save face by making jokes about the phrase now.
I can see me having the same success with my ‘list the steeler types’ post in years to come.

lmao at waiting outside the draft to call people lemmings.

that is essentially what you are threatening to do

https://www.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/guy-protesting-random-things-dudewithsign-10-5e6208b82739e__700.jpg

oh wait, you are claiming victory and success with these post. Oh my, life shouldn’t be this bad where this is considered success.

Oviedo
04-17-2023, 02:16 PM
This pick might be going away if the Steelers trade w/ the Bears for the #9 pick.

I'd rather we keep #17 and #32

The only way I would trade up is for Paris Johnson or Jalen Carter

feltdizz
04-17-2023, 02:22 PM

I would be extremely upset if that happened.

NorthCoast
04-17-2023, 03:55 PM
I’m giving everyone the opportunity to post something that I can relentlessly repost and deride in the future when they disagree with anything I say.

My ‘steal of the draft’ posts in years past have made a huge impact in my own mind.
The guilty ones are now trying to save themselves the headache of answering one of the most inane questions posted here.
I can see me having the same success with my ‘list the steeler types’ post as I did with all my Enron stock in years to come. fixed your post for ya

Oviedo
04-17-2023, 04:00 PM
fixed your post for ya

So very true. A legend in his own find but the court jester (historically otherwise known as the fool) in everyone else's

hawaiiansteel
04-17-2023, 04:13 PM
fixed your post for ya

lmao......:D

feltdizz
04-17-2023, 04:34 PM
fixed your post for ya

Years ago I was watching the Saints vs Seahawks game when Marshawn Lynch went full BEASTMODE for that 75 yard run. The whole sports bar erupted. People were high-fiving, screaming in amazement.

All of a sudden this dude snapped on everyone in the bar. Told everyone to shut up and how half of them weren’t even Seattle fans. The place got quiet.. then we all laughed are asses off because who the hell thinks they actually have to power to stop people from enjoying the moment? He left in tears. Clearly he was a Saints fan or bet his rent on them that game.

I feel like whatever is that dude on draft night. Just screaming at the TV or computer screen telling Steeler fans to shut up because these aren’t Steeler types… “THEY ARENT STEALS OF THE DRAFT!!”

Captain Lemming
04-17-2023, 04:45 PM
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2023/4/17/23684825/pick-no-32-is-the-pittsburgh-steelers-most-intriguing-yet-most-important-chase-claypool-bears-trade

Pick No. 32 is the Steelers’ most intriguing, yet most important
Story by Bradley Locker • 17m ago

“The NFL Draft for 2023 is officially open. The Carolina Panthers are on the clock.”

While the 2023 NFL Draft is still 10 days away, I can already hear Commissioner Roger Goodell uttering those words, standing in front of tens of thousands of impassioned fans in Kansas City’s Union Station. As Goodell shares that statement, the first round will officially begin on Thursday night in primetime.

Quite simply, there’s nothing like the first night of the Draft. The top prospects available, many of whom are viewed as game-changing with All-Pro potential. The maneuvering of picks to put oneself in position to land a franchise-altering player. The understanding that, with its pick, each team must avoid the dreaded four-letter word: “bust.”

Even though there is one fewer pick on April 27 — following the Miami Dolphins’ forfeiture of their initial selection — all of those uncanny elements will remain the same. Likewise, when the Steelers make their selection at No. 17 (contingent based on trading up or down, of course), the pressure will be on to land a supreme talent with a prodigious impact for years.

That aforementioned lost pick is significant this year, though. By holding the Bears’ second-round selection after trading for Chase Claypool, Pittsburgh will effectively choose at No. 32, meaning that only 31 players will be off the board when Omar Khan and company will make their second call of the night.

Therein lies the fun of this year’s Draft for the Steelers.

In terms of football situations, the first round is similar to trailing in a game with two minutes to go. A team has to go out and execute to earn a victory and a warm feeling; in this case, it means adding a quality player who will be counted on for years, and one that satisfies its fanbase sooner rather than later.

For the Steelers, the team’s most pressing needs remain lucid: cornerback, offensive tackle, linebacker and edge rusher (especially after not signing Bud Dupree and cutting Jamir Jones). If Pittsburgh’s brain trust does not draft a player at one of those four slots in Round One, it would be tough to envision the selection being graded positively.

Over time and recently, there have been teams to eschew bigger issues to simply draft based on the Best Player Available (BPA) approach. Take, for instance, the Cowboys picking CeeDee Lamb in 2020, or even the Ravens nabbing Kyle Hamilton last season. Both organizations have since justified the picks based on others ultimately moving on, but they were somewhat surprising in the moment.

While the Steelers appear set to add at one of those four positions detailed earlier, anything becomes on the table at Pick 32 — view it as a free play after an edge rusher has just jumped offside. Why not take a shot down the field?

By picking a CB, OT, ILB or EDGE in the first, Pittsburgh will be bolstering a roster that already has few starting spots open. With one of a slim number of “holes” now plugged, Khan & Co. would have even greater flexibility to reinforce whatever positions they would like. There’s hardly a better spot to do that than with the first pick in the second round.

In an event like the draft, with 32 organizations evaluating and grading players differently, it’s inevitable that certain athletes will be taken below their projected landing spots. In the first round, this means that bonafide stars can trickle to Day Two. For example, the Steelers snatched George Pickens at Pick 52, though his Expected Draft Position was 38.8, per Grinding the Mocks. Other players that slipped last year included Andrew Booth Jr., Boye Mafe and Kyler Gordon.

Which prospects may end up falling below their expected slots? Some candidates for this year include WR Jordan Addison, EDGE Will McDonald IV, EDGE Keion White — a bit of a surprise attendee of the draft in person — DL Bryan Bresee, DB Brian Branch or even DL Lukas Van Ness. Coincidentally, all would be a fit based on the Steelers’ needs, meaning a major contributor would be swooped up.

Further, the Steelers could easily attack other weaker groups more intentionally. More specifically, linebacker seems to be a hotbed in the early-to-mid second round. Iowa’s Jack Campbell and Arkansas’ Drew Sanders are both likely to be untouched by the start of the period and could transition right into black and gold.

At the same time, the concept of a true blue-chip player sitting like a glowing sapphire in the rough is tantalizing. What if Georgia TE Darnell Washington is left? Texas RB Bijan Robinson?

Despite a lack of overt need, it would be tough to pass on either. For Washington, dreams of the 6-foot-7 monster attacking the seams with Pat Freiermuth are awfully compelling. In the case of Robinson, forming a Medusa of Najee Harris, Robinson and Jaylen Warren would keep defenses up for weeks.

While these circumstances might seem more like a Madden Ultimate Team roster, they very well could be something the Steelers confront on April 28. At what point does pure talent transcend positional need? That’s something Khan, Andy Weidl and Mike Tomlin will have to ask themselves, probably at Pick 32.

Of course, the Steelers may not actually take anyone to begin the second — that is, if the pick is traded. With the selection being equivalent to a late first-rounder, teams will assuredly covet it. According to the Fitzgerald-Spielberger NFL Draft Trade Value Chart, Pick No. 32 has a value of 1244, which is worth Picks 81 (third) and 147 (early fifth), for example.

An organization could easily trade up for Tennessee QB Hendon Hooker if he makes it to Day Two. Conversely, Pittsburgh could package 32 in a maneuver to trade up, or even land someone like Cardinals safety Budda Baker.

Overall, by possessing the first pick among the “second wave” of players available, the Steelers, in many ways, control the destiny of not just their own draft class, but also the rest of the draft. Whether a familiar name or an unanticipated star, Pittsburgh’s first second-round pick may not just transform its 2023 outlook — it could provide deeper clues regarding the franchise’s direction in future years.

I was the first to suggest 32 WILL be traded. Unless we do a round one trade I guarantee you come 32 the pick will not be ours.

Captain Lemming
04-17-2023, 04:50 PM

They laugh because you don’t post links. YOU talk “steal of the draft more than anyone. :)

Link your sources.

hawaiiansteel
04-17-2023, 04:56 PM
So very true. A legend in his own mind but the court jester (historically otherwise known as the fool) in everyone else's

Boom..........

Northern_Blitz
04-17-2023, 05:52 PM
I'd rather we keep #17 and #32

The only way I would trade up is for Paris Johnson or Jalen Carter

I would also rather stay at 17. Or maybe even move down a handful of picks if the OTs and CBs are gone.

feltdizz
04-17-2023, 05:55 PM
They laugh because you don’t post links. YOU talk “steal of the draft more than anyone. :)

Link your sources.

when he claimed everyone loved DJ when he was drafted I linked to the draft day thread and to this day he won’t admit he was wrong.

NJ-STEELER
04-18-2023, 12:59 AM
Bears already got a nice haul trading the 1st pick overall.
Is getting back 32 that important to them?

this was a team that finished last in the league last year.
they need high pedigree talent.
I doubt they move #9 overall

hawaiiansteel
04-18-2023, 01:20 AM
Bears already got a nice haul trading the 1st pick overall.
Is getting back 32 that important to them?

this was a team that finished last in the league last year.
they need high pedigree talent.
I doubt they move #9 overall

I agree.

if Paris Johnson is there at #9, I think the Bears take him.

NorthCoast
04-25-2023, 08:01 AM
The more I read, the more I get the sense that this pick (#32) gets traded. I'd put the odds at 70% chance it happens. (I actually looked for a betting line but couldn't find one).

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/24/pittsburgh-steelers-2023-nfl-draft-trade-3/

Buzz
04-25-2023, 08:47 AM
Pick #32 is important.

Pick #17 is more important.

Don't see how anyone could think different.

We really can't afford to mess up with either, but it'll be really bad if we mess up #17. Certainly don't need another Jarvis Jones or Artie Burns ...

Of course, best would be to hit a home run with BOTH of those picks

LPMAN
04-25-2023, 08:50 AM
I would also rather stay at 17. Or maybe even move down a handful of picks if the OTs and CBs are gone.

But we haven't had an elite left tackle since Leon Searcy in 1992 because we never pick high enough. It's the weakest part of our team & we are high enough to have a shot. If trading Claypool gets us an elite left tackle i say go for it! Unless an elite corner lasts until #17. Not sure Porter is guaranteed to be elite. Those are the only 2 positions we can't draft anywhere else....actually Leon was right tackle, i guess not since Jon Kolb unless you consider Marvel Smith elite, i don't.....

Northern_Blitz
04-25-2023, 10:15 AM
But we haven't had an elite left tackle since Leon Searcy in 1992 because we never pick high enough. It's the weakest part of our team & we are high enough to have a shot. If trading Claypool gets us an elite left tackle i say go for it! Unless an elite corner lasts until #17. Not sure Porter is guaranteed to be elite. Those are the only 2 positions we can't draft anywhere else....actually Leon was right tackle, i guess not since Jon Kolb unless you consider Marvel Smith elite, i don't.....

I would also like to have an elite LT. A guy we could plug in there and not have to worry about the position for more than a decade.

But I'm also kind of gun shy about trading up for a position. That's what we did with Bush and it was one of the worst picks we've made in a long time given the price we pay.

I worry that trading up for an OT in a class where I've read even the best OTs are probably RTs doesn't seem like the best plan.

But I admit to not knowing enough about OL play to make the evaluation myself (except in cases like K Green because I'm pretty sure that playing OL while sitting / laying on the ground is doing it wrong).

NorthCoast
04-25-2023, 03:36 PM
It's as good as gone. Question is how far down in Rd2 are they willing to drop for the extra picks?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52846585818_472a42ff03.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ovSyPm)diagram (1) (https://flic.kr/p/2ovSyPm) by R W (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/), on Flickr