PDA

View Full Version : Time to address the DL as a priority

whisper
04-16-2023, 12:01 PM
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2023/04/15/steelers-position-analysis-it-s-time-for-the-steelers-to-invest-premium-draft-capital-into-their-defensive-line/stories/202304130100

It's time, if not now, when? DL is aging big time.

LPMAN
04-16-2023, 12:07 PM
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2023/04/15/steelers-position-analysis-it-s-time-for-the-steelers-to-invest-premium-draft-capital-into-their-defensive-line/stories/202304130100

It's time, if not now, when? DL is aging big time.

Bresee at #17 or Mazi Smith at #32.....if they use their first 3 picks all on OL & DL i'll be happy. Then maybe a CB in round 3 like Clark Phillips

whisper
04-16-2023, 12:19 PM
Bresee at #17 or Mazi Smith at #32.....if they use their first 3 picks all on OL & DL i'll be happy. Then maybe a CB in round 3 like Clark Phillips

It feels like they are both a little high there.

Steel Maniac
04-16-2023, 12:30 PM
I’ve been hearing about Bresee falling out of the first round.

LPMAN
04-16-2023, 12:31 PM
It feels like they are both a little high there.

I doubt Mazi even makes it to #32.

NJ-STEELER
04-16-2023, 12:52 PM
I doubt Mazi even makes it to #32.

good chance he does.
tape isn’t matching his combine. Is what I hear analysts saying.

low number of tackles for loss. Little qb pressures

look like Tarzan. Plays like Jane

Oviedo
04-16-2023, 01:06 PM
Lukas Van Ness is about the same size as Cam, Aaron Smith and Brett Kiesel when they were drafted

Oviedo
04-16-2023, 01:07 PM
I’ve been hearing about Bresee falling out of the first round.

I’ve seen him in some mocks mid round 2

injury concerns

LPMAN
04-16-2023, 01:33 PM
good chance he does.
tape isn’t matching his combine. Is what I hear analysts saying.

low number of tackles for loss. Little qb pressures

look like Tarzan. Plays like Jane

LOL....Mazi doesn't play like Jane at all. He plays very physical & doesn't get moved much so runs don't get by him very often. Just what we need in the middle. He's maybe my fav college player right now. Casey didn't make a lot of plays in the backfield either. But i watched Mazi make lots of plays in the backfield & vs great teams like tcu, ohio state etc so i disagree. And he wears #58 nuff said

whisper
04-16-2023, 01:34 PM
I’ve seen him in some mocks mid round 2

injury concerns

Yea, been hearing the same.

NJ-STEELER
04-16-2023, 04:29 PM
LOL....Mazi doesn't play like Jane at all. He plays very physical & doesn't get moved much so runs don't get by him very often. Just what we need in the middle. He's maybe my fav college player right now. Casey didn't make a lot of plays in the backfield either. But i watched Mazi make lots of plays in the backfield & vs great teams like tcu, ohio state etc so i disagree. And he wears #58 nuff said

i doubt they take him unless they think he can play DT in the nickel. that's why i brought up the tackles for loss and qb pressures.

we're in the base 3-4 defense less then 25% of the game.
spending a high pick on someone that wont play a quarter of the time doesn't seem wise to me

PS. that's not just a steeler stat. thats a stat the whole league is at. this is where the game is going with all the passing around the league

NJ-STEELER
04-16-2023, 04:34 PM
Lukas Van Ness is about the same size as Cam, Aaron Smith and Brett Kiesel when they were drafted

no heyward was already 290 lbs.

keisel and smith were in the 270 range that van ness is,
they went in the 4th and 7th round. late prospects that were given time to put on weight for the 5 tech

you want to have #17 sit and gain 20 pounds before he plays?

here's a better idea. change the system and plus and play him at 4-3 DE.
wasn't tomlin a coach of the secondary in the tampa 2 defense?

WindyCitySteel
04-16-2023, 04:37 PM
here's a better idea. change the system and plus and play him at 4-3 DE.
wasn't tomlin a coach of the secondary in the tampa 2 defense?

Who are your 3 LBs?

NorthCoast
04-16-2023, 04:42 PM
I doubt Mazi even makes it to #32.Reading this, Smith is not a 1st rd pick. I've also read where he's known to 'take plays off'.... smacks of Dan McCullers and we saw how that worked out. Nothing here screams first round.... no thanks:

Positives:

Good movement skills, especially laterally, for a guy his size.
Good finish at the ball with bull-rushing technique.
Plays with good technique with his hands.
Good vision to see the play developing in front of him.
Solid pass-rush ability at his disposal.

Negatives:

Average shock in punch he applies to blockers.
Needs to get stronger and stouter at the point of attack to have more success.
Average initial quickness can limit him in certain roles and techniques.

NJ-STEELER
04-16-2023, 05:03 PM
Reading this, Smith is not a 1st rd pick. I've also read where he's known to 'take plays off'.... smacks of Dan McCullers and we saw how that worked out. Nothing here screams first round.... no thanks:

thats what i've heard about him.

of course every player has positives and negatives

NorthCoast
04-16-2023, 05:12 PM
thats what i've heard about him.

of course every player has positives and negativesThis is true but for a Pick 17 I expected to see "excellent" mentioned in a few of the positives rather than "good". Good is for 2nd and 3rd round.

NJ-STEELER
04-16-2023, 05:13 PM
Who are your 3 LBs?

a change like that takes time, we would need to start drafting for that system too obviously

alex moves to end like he played in college. cam and larry O at DT

one of the new guys or a draft pick at MLB. holcolmb probably better on the outside

watt can be a hybrid guy, like suggs playing the elephant position for baltimore

LPMAN
04-16-2023, 05:23 PM
Reading this, Smith is not a 1st rd pick. I've also read where he's known to 'take plays off'.... smacks of Dan McCullers and we saw how that worked out. Nothing here screams first round.... no thanks:

You should see the scouting report on Antonio Brown coming out of college. "Route running skills could use some refinement
Needs to become more consistent catching the ball in a crowd"...the only Steelers WR in their history that probably ran smoother precise routes than AB is Lynn Swann. That's it.......... Average shock in punch? Needs to get stronger? He is a short stout bulldozer. Doubt whoever wrote that watched him very much.

NJ-STEELER
04-16-2023, 06:26 PM
You should see the scouting report on Antonio Brown coming out of college. "Route running skills could use some refinement
Needs to become more consistent catching the ball in a crowd"...the only Steelers WR in their history that probably ran smoother precise routes than AB is Lynn Swann. That's it.......... Average shock in punch? Needs to get stronger? He is a short stout bulldozer. Doubt whoever wrote that watched him very much.

yes, he is strong. not sure where that is coming from. 36 reps at the combine too

i took a look at him along with other possible NT prospects.

i think he looks fast enough to play the DT role in the nickel unlike that guy from baylor.
dexter and benton look more like a 5 tech type guys

LPMAN
04-16-2023, 08:27 PM
yes, he is strong. not sure where that is coming from. 36 reps at the combine too

i took a look at him along with other possible NT prospects.

i think he looks fast enough to play the DT role in the nickel unlike that guy from baylor.
dexter and benton look more like a 5 tech type guys

Yeah my only concern on Mazi would be if the "he takes off some plays is true"...you here that a lot in college. Usually the level of competition in the NFL keeps that from happening.

WindyCitySteel
04-16-2023, 10:32 PM
I'm all for DL help as long as they can rush the passer, too. Think Hargrave types. 2-down run stuffers are dinosaurs in today's NFL.

I'm all for big nickel with three DL who can penetrate.

LPMAN
04-17-2023, 10:39 AM
I'm all for DL help as long as they can rush the passer, too. Think Hargrave types. 2-down run stuffers are dinosaurs in today's NFL.

Then this is your dream draft.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/steelers-3-bold-predictions-in-2023-nfl-draft-including-drafting-calijah-kancey/ar-AA19Vz6d?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3228cdec44394fb5843415538215578b&ei=17

Oviedo
04-17-2023, 11:01 AM
What about a real wildcard...Calijah Kancey

Northern_Blitz
04-17-2023, 11:04 AM

I would generally agree with you when talking about using an early pick.

Although I guess the counter-argument could be that having a big plugger would be that maybe our ILBs would finally look good again if they had a big space eater in front of them.

But I think we should be able to get guys like that later (if they even exist in the current college game).

whisper
04-17-2023, 12:59 PM
I would generally agree with you when talking about using an early pick.

Although I guess the counter-argument could be that having a big plugger would be that maybe our ILBs would finally look good again if they had a big space eater in front of them.

But I think we should be able to get guys like that later (if they even exist in the current college game).

There's a good 4-5 of them out there.