Oviedo
04-14-2023, 12:32 PM
One year $5m

IMO…watch for Nolan Smith at #17

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2023, 12:37 PM
One year $5m

IMO…watch for Nolan Smith at #17
it's not out of the question, but my gut says taking a guy #1 means you don't think you can sign Highsmith. I tend to think rounds 2-4 where you are simply you're hedging your bets while getting the next Highsmith as a just in case option.

I'm more inclined to think Tuli Tuipulotu on day 2...

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2023, 12:38 PM
you know the option that none of us has really talked too much about... remember how Chad Brown played both OLB and ILB for stretches? Do you think Drew Sanders could back up all 4 LB positions?

whisper
04-14-2023, 12:48 PM
you know the option that none of us has really talked too much about... remember how Chad Brown played both OLB and ILB for stretches? Do you think Drew Sanders could back up all 4 LB positions?

It's a real possibility. But you never know until you get him in there.

steeler_george
04-14-2023, 01:05 PM

Same as Timmons, who many are comparing Smith to.

I can;t remember where I read it, and who it was... it was either Sanders, Smith saying that they only prefer one position. not willing to convert to either outside or inside.

steeler_george
04-14-2023, 01:05 PM
Back to Dupree, I thought for sure he would sign here.

whisper
04-14-2023, 01:10 PM

Our FO low balled him, as they probably should have. They probably knew it was just a PR move to have him come in to begin with.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2023, 01:13 PM
Our FO low balled him, as they probably should have. They probably knew it was just a PR move to have him come in to begin with.
I have to wonder if it was the medical... "up to $5 mil" still sounds like $3 mil plus incentives... that's fairly cheap...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-14-2023, 01:48 PM
I have to wonder if it was the medical... "up to $5 mil" still sounds like $3 mil plus incentives... that's fairly cheap...

That's what I figured both when he left without a deal and when this was announced. "Up to" is code for heavy on incentives.

Ghost
04-14-2023, 01:56 PM

Not sure it's accurate, but I read Dupree wanted a 1 year deal and the Steelers typically want guys to sign at least a 2 year deal. ATL was willing to go with a 1 year deal.

SS Laser
04-14-2023, 09:55 PM
Same as Timmons, who many are comparing Smith to.

I can;t remember where I read it, and who it was... it was either Sanders, Smith saying that they only prefer one position. not willing to convert to either outside or inside.

I believe it was Smith saying he is only a edge. Right around combine time. Not interested in switching or playing ILB.

BURGH86STEEL
04-14-2023, 10:53 PM
Dupree is probably looking to cash in one final time. He probably couldn't cash in being a back up for the Steelers. The only way Bud can cash in is if he stays healthy, becomes a starter, and is productive. He wouldn't be a consistent starter in Pittsburgh baring a season ending injury.

I don't think Bud is willing to accept a back up role at this point. He could have 3 or 4 more solid productive years left. He is betting on himself.

NorthCoast
04-15-2023, 07:38 AM
He looked at the AFCN, then the pattycake NFCS and said 'I can pad the stats and make bank next season'.

Oviedo
04-15-2023, 09:36 AM
The more I have thought about this topic, the more I think Van Ness may be the pick at #17. A lot of people discount how he moved around, but he excelled wherever they played him. He demonstrated the flexibility that the team loves

It is assumed that Highsmith is going to get extended but that would be big dollars for two Edge guys limiting what we could do cap wise. If we got Van Ness, or Smith, we would have one guy on a rookie contract and if he is great wouldn’t have to pay until TJ is likely moving on

i could see them taking the Dupree approach with Highsmith to see if he continues to increase his performance. Tag him one year then see where we are

whisper
04-15-2023, 11:06 AM
He looked at the AFCN, then the pattycake NFCS and said 'I can pad the stats and make bank next season'.

I don't know about that. Is there really THAT much a difference between the 2 divs?

AFCN.

Top dog: Cinci. Have had 2 nice seasons, but got dinged big time in FA this year. Lost both starting safeties, TE, LB, 2 starting RBs. Some rumblings there.

Browns. Watson ordeal not going well. Not only has he not been playing well but legal issues still exist. Have virtually no draft picks to fill holes and they have some (WR, DT, LB).

Ravens. Still basically a mess with QB situation unresolved.

I'm not sure the AFCN is such a juggernaut compared to ANY NFL div.

NorthCoast
04-15-2023, 02:55 PM
I don't know about that. Is there really THAT much a difference between the 2 divs?

AFCN.

Top dog: Cinci. Have had 2 nice seasons, but got dinged big time in FA this year. Lost both starting safeties, TE, LB, 2 starting RBs. Some rumblings there.

Browns. Watson ordeal not going well. Not only has he not been playing well but legal issues still exist. Have virtually no draft picks to fill holes and they have some (WR, DT, LB).

Ravens. Still basically a mess with QB situation unresolved.

I'm not sure the AFCN is such a juggernaut compared to ANY NFL div.

Missed my point. It's who Dupree will be playing against if he came back to PIT.... trying to tackle Chubb, Mixon, Dobbins, Edwards.

whisper
04-15-2023, 06:41 PM
Missed my point. It's who Dupree will be playing against if he came back to PIT.... trying to tackle Chubb, Mixon, Dobbins, Edwards.

In the NFCS he has to try to tackle Myles Sanders (1.269, 4.9 ypc), Alvin Kamara (4.0 ypc), Rachaad White (before they add a stud from the draft).Mixon is in Harrison's neck of the woods, less than 4 ypc, not scary. I don't see much a difference. And Bud is only looking for sacks anyhow.