PDA

View Full Version : Randon Thoughts

steeler_george
04-14-2023, 06:35 AM
I have been blessed, cursed with a busy schedule the past few months too busy to post here, hell I didn't even watch one game of the Final Four Tourney, which I never miss. Even called days off work to watch or stayed up till 6 am ( time differnece Greece)

With that said I have a few min. to post some random thoughts:

1) Where is our draft guru, Steeler Keys? I love his input especially draft time.

2) I love what we did in the FA, we have no true holes going tinto the draft. Our depth is stronger in all areas.

3) As much as the media/fans keep suggesting we are drafting an OT early, I have a feeling we are going to draft one in the 3-4th rounds. Hell we might even draft a C or TE ( who can block) before OT. Bergeron and Breeland.

4) Same can be said about CB, especially being a deep draft.

5) If we follow the previous Steeler's FA-Draft Model, we sign FA as stopgaps to be replaced by draft picks. (ex) Barron>Bush, Ebron>Chasepool) I expect we go ILB, DL, and to a degre IOL (Center capble of playing Guard)

My draft crushes: (same names, different order, and new flaovors, and there might be some reaches but will be gone by next pick)

17 : WR JSN is #1 player on my board, then toss up between Branch, and Breese. Noel Smith as Timmons II is also tempting. As for CB, there seems to be too much depth, no clear cut player between Porter, Banks, Smith, Forbes, etc..
32: All the above, add in ILB Sanders, Campbell, Simpson, WR Flowers, Addison, C Schmitz or Tippman. Same about CB...
49: All the above, add in DL Beneton, Pickens, OT Bergeron, WR Mingo

6) I kind of like this mock I did, first one where I had us skipping DL, OT, early or all together and added in playmakers for Kenny and an mammoth blocking TE for Najee.
All 5 players could be starting 1st year or conribute this year, potentially starting next year.

Traded 17 for 25 and 57
25. Branch
32. Flowers
49. Wsshington TE
57. Tippmann
80. Bergeron
120. Dorian Willians, Tulane ILB
234 Karl , DL, Bowling Green

WindyCitySteel
04-14-2023, 07:23 AM
Stay away from this board if your draft dream comes true, it's going to be a mess. :D

I think it's OT or CB in round 1, my guess is Porter since he seems to be the one in the most national mocks, and the Steelers kind of wear their first round pick on their sleeve all offseason.

flippy
04-14-2023, 07:55 AM
I like a lot of the same guys as you. I really do think Branc and Breese migt be the guys available when we pick that are too good a value to pass on even though they aren't our top need and I would probably lean into taking either.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-14-2023, 09:14 AM
I have been blessed, cursed with a busy schedule the past few months too busy to post here, hell I didn't even watch one game of the Final Four Tourney, which I never miss. Even called days off work to watch or stayed up till 6 am ( time differnece Greece)

1) Where is our draft guru, Steeler Keys? I love his input especially draft time.

2) I love what we did in the FA, we have no true holes going tinto the draft. Our depth is stronger in all areas.

3) As much as the media/fans keep suggesting we are drafting an OT early, I have a feeling we are going to draft one in the 3-4th rounds. Hell we might even draft a C or TE ( who can block) before OT. Bergeron and Breeland.

5) If we follow the previous Steeler's FA-Draft Model, we sign FA as stopgaps to be replaced by draft picks. (ex) Barron>Bush, Ebron>Chasepool) I expect we go ILB, DL, and to a degre IOL (Center capble of playing Guard)

My draft crushes: (same names, different order, and new flaovors, and there might be some reaches but will be gone by next pick)

17 : WR JSN is #1 player on my board, then toss up between Branch, and Breese. Noel Smith as Timmons II is also tempting. As for CB, there seems to be too much depth, no clear cut player between Porter, Banks, Smith, Forbes, etc..
32: All the above, add in ILB Sanders, Campbell, Simpson, WR Flowers, Addison, C Schmitz or Tippman. Same about CB...

6) I kind of like this mock I did, first one where I had us skipping DL, OT, early or all together and added in playmakers for Kenny and an mammoth blocking TE for Najee.
All 5 players could be starting 1st year or conribute this year, potentially starting next year.

Traded 17 for 25 and 57
25. Branch
32. Flowers
49. Wsshington TE
57. Tippmann
80. Bergeron

Some one is going to have to explain to me WHY we spend a first round on a safety, that ran a 4.56 at the combine, and what a small WR will do for us who will be at best the third option at receiver ( 4th if you consider Muth )

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2023, 12:06 PM
Some one is going to have to explain to me WHY we spend a first round on a safety, that ran a 4.56 at the combine, and what a small WR will do for us who will be at best the third option at receiver ( 4th if you consider Muth )
A strong safety running in the 4.5's isn't as big a deal as a CB running there. As a SS, you'll play him in the box some anyway - his tackling and quick reactions are the reason he's a 1st round prospect, NOT his ability to run stride for stride with a WR. He'll be covering TE and RB.

HOWEVER, I think he'd be a good fit alongside Minkah who he wants to play next to (both being from Alabama). I think he'd follow Minkah like a puppy dog and end up with a crazy good work ethic. That situation would make him the best version of himself as a pro and he knows it. However since signing Keanu Neal, I don't see him as the best pick for the Steelers (yes... my sig is old)

LPMAN
04-14-2023, 12:18 PM
I really hope we get Bresee at #17. Last few years showed it to easy to run the ball down our throats. There were games teams ran out the clock on us Bettis style. That ain't Pittsburgh football! If Carter somehow slipped to #9 & we traded up i'd be estatic. If we get Addison or Porter i'll be just as happy but really i wish we'd use 3 of our 4 top 80 picks on offensive line & defensive line. We lost a lot of games in the trenches. We can go WR & CB high next year, take care of business this draft with the BIG UGLIES!

If corner is so deep pick one in round 3 or 4 that needs developing ala Ike Taylor....

Here's what i'd be happy with:

#17 Bryan Bresee DT
#32 Dawand Jones OT
#49 Luke Wypler C
#80 Clark Phillips III CB

SS Laser
04-14-2023, 12:29 PM
I don’t love the Branch pick. Prefer a true #1 corner drafted there.

But I believe Cam Sutton ran his 40 in the 4.5x. So it’s not the end of the world. And I have read here and other places he could be a great slot cover guy. So if he is BPA I can’t complain, if he is better then Edmonds his rookie season. He fills a few needs.

As far as WR, I am on the fence. Most of Bens career the Steelers used premium picks to stock up on WR’s for there QB. I love that. And figure it will continue for Kenny. Not sure Weidl’s history on WR and how that will affect Kahn though.

Kind of like using a premium pick on a true blocking TE who could develop in as good as Muth in the passing game or even better.

Concerning me is the latter rd OL as some have been flops lately.

Also concerning me is late rd DL. Besides Cam there are not any premium picks on DL right now. Is the mid rd picks going to pan out or will the DL have to be rebuilt with FA soon like the OL? Has Tuitt even been really replaced yet? Can Larry O be that guy? Cams days are numbered at this point. Need a freaking stud DE/DT to replace him soon.

whisper
04-14-2023, 12:30 PM

5th if you consider Austin real and actually gonna contribute this season. Isn't it amazing how a player can go from "They guy who makes Canada's offensive system work" to being forgotten about in just 1 YEAR? My sense tells me they know he is too tiny to get it done already, with not even bothering to let him play when he said he was healthy last year.

NorthCoast
04-14-2023, 01:08 PM

Traded 17 for 25 and 57
25. Branch
32. Flowers
49. Wsshington TE
57. Tippmann
80. Bergeron

In the past regime I might agree with some of what you say but it's clear there is "something different" with Kahn and Weidl in charge. Whole lot of uncertainty about where their priorities might be.

steeler_george
04-14-2023, 01:11 PM
Stay away from this board if your draft dream comes true, it's going to be a mess. :D

I think it's OT or CB in round 1, my guess is Porter since he seems to be the one in the most national mocks, and the Steelers kind of wear their first round pick on their sleeve all offseason.

Where do i say draft dream....?

Just a mock draft where i was messing around, and acually thought it looks like a good match to our needs. As in most mocks, you hope the players hit that ceiling you hope for.

If it was my dream draft I would love to end up with NJS WR, Breese DL, Branch slot/SS, and Sanders/Campbell as ILB., and one of the top 3 CB.

Captain Lemming
04-14-2023, 01:41 PM

Traded 17 for 25 and 57
25. Branch
32. Flowers
49. Wsshington TE
57. Tippmann
80. Bergeron

Depth at corner is a great reason not to draft a good one in all that depth?

Captain Lemming
04-14-2023, 01:46 PM
A strong safety running in the 4.5's isn't as big a deal as a CB running there. As a SS, you'll play him in the box some anyway - his tackling and quick reactions are the reason he's a 1st round prospect, NOT his ability to run stride for stride with a WR. He'll be covering TE and RB.

HOWEVER, I think he'd be a good fit alongside Minkah who he wants to play next to (both being from Alabama). I think he'd follow Minkah like a puppy dog and end up with a crazy good work ethic. That situation would make him the best version of himself as a pro and he knows it. However since signing Keanu Neal, I don't see him as the best pick for the Steelers (yes... my sig is old)

I love your current mock but Banks ain’t gonna be there at 2a. Not a chance.

pfelix73
04-14-2023, 02:53 PM

Traded 17 for 25 and 57
25. Branch
32. Flowers
49. Wsshington TE
57. Tippmann
80. Bergeron

I like it. I've said all along that we might be surprised on this one. Surprised meaning TE somewhere early. Washington is a beast and can block.

pfelix73
04-14-2023, 02:57 PM
I like a lot of the same guys as you. I really do think Branc and Breese migt be the guys available when we pick that are too good a value to pass on even though they aren't our top need and I would probably lean into taking either.

How do you know that those 2 aren't our top needs? Because of what you see and read on FB and in the press? We have a need on the DL. We need depth and Cam isn't getting any younger. We have need at Safety too. More so than OL.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-14-2023, 03:13 PM

My issue with drafting him is where have bigger needs in round one. I agree he upgrade us, but not as much as say a tackle or cornerback in round one. Call me crazy but I think RB is a need more than S.

LPMAN
04-14-2023, 03:22 PM
How do you know that those 2 aren't our top needs? Because of what you see and read on FB and in the press? We have a need on the DL. We need depth and Cam isn't getting any younger. We have need at Safety too. More so than OL.

my opinion is offensive tackle, nose tackle corner & inside linebacker are our 4 biggest needs.

WindyCitySteel
04-14-2023, 03:24 PM
I really hope we get Bresee at #17. Last few years showed it to easy to run the ball down our throats. There were games teams ran out the clock on us Bettis style. That ain't Pittsburgh football! If Carter somehow slipped to #9 & we traded up i'd be estatic. If we get Addison or Porter i'll be just as happy but really i wish we'd use 3 of our 4 top 80 picks on offensive line & defensive line. We lost a lot of games in the trenches. We can go WR & CB high next year, take care of business this draft with the BIG UGLIES!

If corner is so deep pick one in round 3 or 4 that needs developing ala Ike Taylor....

Here's what i'd be happy with:

#17 Bryan Bresee DT
#32 Dawand Jones OT
#49 Luke Wypler C
#80 Clark Phillips III CB

NT to stop the run is short-sighted. You want teams to stop running on us? Score some points and get leads. This isn't 2001 anymore.

Once we go heavy with our NT and run stopping LBs, teams will shred the D in the hurry up passing game.

Give me a fast, playmaking defense AND offense.

crushedspirit
04-14-2023, 04:03 PM
Zay Flowers will not be there at 32

He'll go to the Chargers, Bills, or Chiefs.

LPMAN
04-14-2023, 04:48 PM
NT to stop the run is short-sighted. You want teams to stop running on us? Score some points and get leads. This isn't 2001 anymore.

Once we go heavy with our NT and run stopping LBs, teams will shred the D in the hurry up passing game.

Give me a fast, playmaking defense AND offense.

Yeah, like when Peyton Manning and #1 seeded Colts at home shredded us with with Casey Hampton, James Farrior, Larry Foote & Lawrence Timmons. Or the Superbowl where Casey should have been MVP of XL.

WindyCitySteel
04-14-2023, 05:02 PM
Yeah, like when Peyton Manning and #1 seeded Colts at home shredded us with with Casey Hampton, James Farrior, Larry Foote & Lawrence Timmons. Or the Superbowl where Casey should have been MVP of XL.

That was almost two decades ago. We don't have the back seven we had then, either. Who's covering when teams start throwing against our base? Mahomes/Herbert/Allen/Burrow aren't going to patiently run into a brick wall all game.

NJ-STEELER
04-14-2023, 06:31 PM
We went 15-1 when Hampton was out for the year

Blitzer
04-14-2023, 07:14 PM

L. Timmons?

LPMAN
04-15-2023, 11:09 AM
That was almost two decades ago. We don't have the back seven we had then, either. Who's covering when teams start throwing against our base? Mahomes/Herbert/Allen/Burrow aren't going to patiently run into a brick wall all game.

They run more than you think. Casey came out on 2nd & 3rd & longs. It's a bigger value than people think. I'm not saying NT has to be a 3 down player. I'm not saying it has to be a first round pick either. Chris Hoke did the job just as well.

LPMAN
04-15-2023, 11:10 AM
We went 15-1 when Hampton was out for the year

Then sign me a Chris Hoke & i'll be happy. We didn't change our philosophy when Casey went down.