PDA

View Full Version : OT Jones falling down draft boards

whisper
04-13-2023, 12:10 PM
https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/pittsburgh-steelers-upset-ohio-state-dawand-jones

It seems like Pgh may not even take him at #17 if he is there. Says here they would wait until #32 if they take him at all. The guy seemingly f'd up. Not taking it seriously enough.

NorthCoast
04-13-2023, 03:22 PM
Read that. Not a good look at all. If anyone has followed Tomlin long enough he's the kind of HC that wants to see a player rise on effort, not athleticism. There were rumors about Dotson's lack of preseason work effort. Don't need another one of those.

Steelers furious with Ohio State star
Story by DJ Byrnes • 6h ago

The Pittsburgh Steelers are one of the most storied franchises in the NFL due to their ability to draft well.

They have had success with a lot of former Ohio State Buckeyes, as well.

Many draft analysts saw a future home for former Buckeye offensive lineman Dawand Jones in Pittsburgh.

Jones had a productive season in Columbus, and the Steelers need help along their offensive line. The Steelers even brought in Jones for a pre-draft visit.

Related video: Patrick Peterson weighs in on DeAndre Hopkins: 'I think best case for D-Hop is to find a new uniform' (NFL)

However, it appears the franchise has cooled on Jones. It doesn’t sound like they’ll be selecting him in the first round, at least.

Pro Football Network’s Troy Pauline spilled the beans during an appearance on the Steelers Sanctuary podcast.

“Dawand Jones is falling down draft boards. I think he’d be good value for them in round two, if Dawand Jones is making football a priority,” Pauline said. “Dawand Jones had a decent, not spectacular career at Ohio State. He had one phenomenal day of practice at the Senior Bowl but then he packed it in. Didn’t practice the next two days. Didn’t play in the game. Went to the Combine, ran the forty, did position drills.

“I was at the Ohio State Pro Day with Mike Tomlin and those guys, and they were very [upset] because Dawand Jones did nothing at his Pro Day.”

Only time will tell how the Steelers move in the first round. The NFL Draft is set for later this month.

feltdizz
04-13-2023, 03:24 PM
wonder what his reason is for not participating. Did he think one day was enough and didn’t want to risk being shown up at the Senior Bowl?

and no Pro Day workout? Is he hurt?

NorthCoast
04-13-2023, 03:27 PM
wonder what his reason is for not participating. Did he think one day was enough and didn’t want to risk being shown up at the Senior Bowl?

and no Pro Day workout? Is he hurt?Getting the sense that some of these players have the mindset that workouts, pro days, senior bowl can only hurt you if you are already considered a 1st rounder.... i.e, best to step away from the masses.

Mick'sTeam
04-13-2023, 03:40 PM
Maybe he should follow suit of another former OSU OT Mike Adams and request to meet with the Steelers brass to plead his case? Paid off for Adams getting selected in the 2nd Rd. Not so much for the Steelers.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-13-2023, 03:42 PM

and no Pro Day workout? Is he hurt?

Harris did not run at the combine or campus workouts, No 40 , the yard dash, 20 yard shuttle or cone drill. He did not play in the senior bowl either! Yet he was selected in the first round by the Steelers.

If he ran a 4.64, I say he would not have been selected in round one.

Johnson at least ran some at the combine and practed one time before getting hurt. He was not a target player @ pick 17

NJ-STEELER
04-13-2023, 04:11 PM
Good. Dnt want him at 17.

take a damn LT, if we want to spend a high pick on a OT

feltdizz
04-13-2023, 04:16 PM
Harris did not run at the combine or campus workouts, No 40 , the yard dash, 20 yard shuttle or cone drill. He did not play in the senior bowl either! Yet he was selected in the first round by the Steelers.

If he ran a 4.64, I say he would not have been selected in round one.

Johnson at least ran some at the combine and practed one time before getting hurt. He was not a target player @ pick 17

Harris had the tape. Some players can get away with it. No idea if Jones has the same rep on tape but if so then I think it may be trying to protect his rep.

and no idea how we feel about him but if we invited him to dinner it could simply be smoke to try and get him at 32.

Oviedo
04-13-2023, 04:18 PM
Seems like a guy who once he gets the money may eat himself out of the league. Wouldn't be surprised to see him drop to late 2d or 3rd

Prowler
04-13-2023, 04:41 PM
In my view, I don't think it's a big deal that he didn't do drills at his Pro Day. He did do them at the Senior Bowl and at the Combine. Plus teams already have lots of tape on him too. Hell, half the time players sit out of their bowl games. He's no different than those guys.

I can't blame him for skipping out. If he tears an Achilles or suffer a major injury at those workouts he could lose millions of dollars. The smart thing to do in many cases is to look after yourself and secure your family's future. Management has millions of dollars in their bank accounts, Dewand doesn't.

feltdizz
04-13-2023, 04:50 PM
In my view, I don't think it's a big deal that he didn't do drills at his Pro Day. He did do them at the Senior Bowl and at the Combine. Plus teams already have lots of tape on him too. Hell, half the time players sit out of their bowl games. He's no different than those guys.

I can't blame him for skipping out. If he tears an Achilles or suffer a major injury at those workouts he could lose millions of dollars. The smart thing to do in many cases is to look after yourself and secure your family's future. Management has millions of dollars in their bank accounts, Dewand doesn't.

Probably told not to do it by his agent.

I think they are relying on tape and protecting Stroud who will go top 5…

plus dude is huge.

Oviedo
04-13-2023, 05:06 PM
Probably told not to do it by his agent.

I think they are relying on tape and protecting Stroud who will go top 5…

plus dude is huge.

...my fear is too huge

SteelerOfDeVille
04-13-2023, 05:28 PM

Agreed, actually.
While I'm still worried about his weight, I always find it funny how the talking heads move people up and down their draft boards and we take it as gold during the offseason. There's always some 3rd rounder that pops into the first, then the draft rolls around and everyone is saying, "oh, they got a steal in the 3rd" (hey Travis Jones).

I'm just not falling for it any more - lol

whisper
04-13-2023, 05:48 PM
Maybe he should follow suit of another former OSU OT Mike Adams and request to meet with the Steelers brass to plead his case? Paid off for Adams getting selected in the 2nd Rd. Not so much for the Steelers.

Didn't he plead he was a Steeler fan? Pgh falls for that trick every damn time.

whisper
04-13-2023, 05:49 PM

Yea, thumbs up. Take a damn LT

Steel Maniac
04-14-2023, 12:33 AM

I too don’t want them over thinking this. If a legit LT is there , take him.

hawaiiansteel
04-14-2023, 01:24 AM
...my fear is too huge

Dawand Jones was reportedly close to 400 lbs at his Pro Day.

I want no part of a guy who can't even show up in shape at one of the most important workouts of his life,

Joel Buchsbaum
04-14-2023, 05:39 AM
Harris had the tape. Some players can get away with it. No idea if Jones has the same rep on tape but if so then I think it may be trying to protect his rep.

and no idea how we feel about him but if we invited him to dinner it could simply be smoke to try and get him at 32.

Jones has tape too. Your point is what? If a team invites you to dinner they are interested in picking you in the first three rounds. There are only so many guy you can see. The Steelers would be foolish to waste one of the 30 visits on a player if they are not drafting him.

I don't know why Jones did not workout at his pro day. But he ran at the combine ( Harris did not run at the combine or pro day ) and was at one senior bowl practice where he dominated the got sick. I don't think Harris even showed up at the senior bowl.

I am disappointed that he did not work out at the OSU pro day. Players who don't work out are hiding something. In Jones case he doesn't move well, but his tape is excellent . He is 6'8", has a record arm length, weights a ton and locks on to his man easily with those monster hands or his. Okay he is not agile but getting around him due his size and weight is not easy. I am fine with him at right tackle in round two or if we traded down in round one say to pick #26 picking and extra 3rd and late round pick.

What were his penalties like? That is something I'd like to know.

-JB

Joel Buchsbaum
04-14-2023, 05:42 AM
Dawand Jones was reportedly close to 400 lbs at his Pro Day.

I want no part of a guy who can't even show up in shape at one of the most important workouts of his life,

Link? Who said this?

NorthCoast
04-14-2023, 05:53 AM
Jones has tape too. Your point is what? If a team invites you to dinner they are interested in picking you in the first three rounds. There are only so many guy you can see. The Steelers would be foolish to waste one of the 30 visits on a player if they are not drafting him.

I don't know why Jones did not workout at his pro day. But he ran at the combine ( Harris did not run at the combine or pro day ) and was at one senior bowl practice where he dominated the got sick. I don't think Harris even showed up at the senior bowl.

I am disappointed that he did not work out at the OSU pro day. Players who don't work out are hiding something. In Jones case he doesn't move well, but his tape is excellent . He is 6'8", has a record arm length, weights a ton and locks on to his man easily with those monster hands or his. Okay he is not agile but getting around him due his size and weight is not easy. I am fine with him at right tackle in round two or if we traded down in round one say to pick #26 picking and extra 3rd and late round pick.

-JBTherein is the problem. Relying on size rather than staying in top shape and improving agility won't work against NFL caliber DL.

He's clearly in the top 5% of all NFL offensive tackles in size:

Height = 97%tile
Weight = 98%tile
Wingspan = 97%tile
Arms = 97%tile
Hands = 98%tile
10 yd split = 4%tile
40 yd dash = 30%tile

feltdizz
04-14-2023, 08:00 AM

-JB

we don’t draft 30 players every year so we “waste” a lot of visits.

All this means is we have interest in him. Sometimes a visit convinces a team he isn’t the right fit.

if Jones doesn’t move well its an issue and reason for concern.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-14-2023, 08:40 AM

All this means is we have interest in him. Sometimes a visit convinces a team he isn’t the right fit.

We don't have time to take 300 draft prospectus to dinner. Again if we were not intested in Jones he would have not been one of the 30 visits. He doesn't move well, but for a man his size he does. He is near impossible to bull rush and in college proved very difficult to beat for a sack vs good competition the SEC and Big Ten. Since neither you nor I have the video or tape to accurately judge his moment and he pulled a Harris by not working out fully at his pro day ( but did run at the combine unlike Harris and practiced vs the best during the senior bowl week ) we are just going to have to trust the GM's and scouts the grade this unique gigantic offensive tackle with an unreal length, towering height and monster hands with grip strength and size. Based on what I've seen I pick him @ pick # 32 overall. He is a right tackle only. And dominant at what he does.

Northern_Blitz
04-14-2023, 09:13 AM

And since our organization is stable, we also use these visits on players we like. Because they may eventually become UFAs. And we'll likely have the same big decision makers in place.

Captain Lemming
04-14-2023, 09:49 AM

If they fed that behemoth who eats so much he will sacrifice millions before trying to lose a pound, you know dinner it IS a serious investment. :)

I think it affords him the chance to explain himself, and the Steelers still have interest.

Me? That is a serious red flag of a dude who lacks discipline.

feltdizz
04-14-2023, 10:19 AM
We don't have time to take 300 draft prospectus to dinner. Again if we were not intested in Jones he would have not been one of the 30 visits. He doesn't move well, but for a man his size he does. He is near impossible to bull rush and in college proved very difficult to beat for a sack vs good competition the SEC and Big Ten. Since neither you nor I have the video or tape to accurately judge his moment and he pulled a Harris by not working out fully at his pro day ( but did run at the combine unlike Harris and practiced vs the best during the senior bowl week ) we are just going to have to trust the GM's and scouts the grade this unique gigantic offensive tackle with an unreal length, towering height and monster hands with grip strength and size. Based on what I've seen I pick him @ pick # 32 overall. He is a right tackle only. And dominant at what he does.

you do realize we both said the same thing?

I said if we invited him to dinner we are interested in him and maybe we are blowing smoke so we can get him at #32.

You then proceeded to ask why we would waste time on him with a visit and you want him at 32.

only difference is your need to bash Najee in the process, lol

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-14-2023, 10:22 AM

Exactly. The Steelers did not meet with every QB in last year's draft with the intention of picking them all. They prioritized them, and when the time came they took the one who was next on their list - in this case #1 on their list. Any argument beyond "Kenny Pickett was the top ranked QB on the Steelers' draft board" is pure speculation.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2023, 11:03 AM
The visits themselves are absolutely people that they are considering at the time.

However there are more factors:

If you're picking 17, you're probably meeting/visiting with everyone ranked from say 10-25, so you feel comfortable that you've got the right person. With some of them, you wont gel. Others will be eliminated because an FA lands in your lap.

Then, there's how the board falls.
If there is a run on a position, you may find that the guy you were looking at is gone and you have to change course.
Or if someone falls a few slots, you may find a trade up to get a guy. Or if it gets there and no one has taken an OT, they may feel comfortable in trading down 3 slots.

There's just so much that influences who you might take that you need to meet with all the players so you've got a sense for which guys you like and what you might do if you are forced to make alternate plans.

So, all the meetings are reasonable. It's the middle rounds where they tell on themselves. When they meet with a 2nd or 3rd round prospect, they usually have good interest and may go a little early to get them

feltdizz
04-14-2023, 11:26 AM
Exactly. The Steelers did not meet with every QB in last year's draft with the intention of picking them all. They prioritized them, and when the time came they took the one who was next on their list - in this case #1 on their list. Any argument beyond "Kenny Pickett was the top ranked QB on the Steelers' draft board" is pure speculation.

yep. Its not a waste to meet with someone that you may not pick. We don’t know how the draft will unfold but 30 visits gives you a chance to meet with the players you have a chance at selecting.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2023, 11:28 AM
It's the middle rounds where they tell on themselves. When they meet with a 2nd or 3rd round prospect, they usually have good interest and may go a little early to get them
They are seriously interested in day 2-3 CB, WR

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ringo Mingo -- sounds like a n 80's band, but wouldn't be shocked if the team landed those two... Ringo reminds me of a young Ike taylor... has all the speed you want, but still needs some technique work

NJ-STEELER
04-14-2023, 12:01 PM
They are seriously interested in day 2-3 CB, WR

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ringo Mingo -- sounds like a n 80's band, but wouldn't be shocked if the team landed those two... Ringo reminds me of a young Ike taylor... has all the speed you want, but still need

s some technique work

i've been using

ringo
mingo

Bingo !!!!!

NorthCoast
04-14-2023, 12:42 PM
We don't have time to take 300 draft prospectus to dinner. Again if we were not intested in Jones he would have not been one of the 30 visits. He doesn't move well, but for a man his size he does. He is near impossible to bull rush and in college proved very difficult to beat for a sack vs good competition the SEC and Big Ten. Since neither you nor I have the video or tape to accurately judge his moment and he pulled a Harris by not working out fully at his pro day ( but did run at the combine unlike Harris and practiced vs the best during the senior bowl week ) we are just going to have to trust the GM's and scouts the grade this unique gigantic offensive tackle with an unreal length, towering height and monster hands with grip strength and size. Based on what I've seen I pick him @ pick # 32 overall. He is a right tackle only. And dominant at what he does.They had dinner with Mike Adams. I wish they didn't.

whisper
04-14-2023, 12:46 PM
If they fed that behemoth who eats so much he will sacrifice millions before trying to lose a pound, you know dinner it IS a serious investment. :)

I think it affords him the chance to explain himself, and the Steelers still have interest.

Me? That is a serious red flag of a dude who lacks discipline.

I can't even imagine how a dude that big eats. I knew a big arm wrestler who went about 300 LBs, mostly muscle. And what he ate at a Burger King stretched the mind. Two trays of food, full. Something like 12 burgers - Whoppers, chicken sammies, all of the above, and of course fries, onion rings - several of those each. This OT must have ordered like 3-4 dinners.