PDA

View Full Version : Why are we fretting over no 5th/6th round draft picks?

whisper
04-13-2023, 11:29 AM
It's not as if this Tomlin era team has done much in those rounds. (Cowher's teams were different, but we are talking Tomin here.)

5th Dennis Dixon, QB. Worthless
6 Mike Humpal, LB. Nothing
6 Ryan Mundy, DB. No one.

5 Joe Burnett, DB. Not
5 Frank Summers, RB. Nothing
6 Ra'Shon Harris, DT, not

5 Chris Scott, G. No
5 Crezdon Butler, DB. no
5 Stevenson Sylvester, LB. no
6 Jonathan Dwyer, RB, a hint of something
6 Antonio Brown, WR. The one outlier.

5 Chris Carter, LB, no
6 Keith Williams, G

Chris Rainey, RB. Big time waste

You get my point. This regime basically scores no one in the 5th or 6th rounds.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-13-2023, 11:32 AM
Who's fretting over not 5/6 round pick?
I do think there's a chance the team will trade a next year (and maybe one of the two round 7 this year) to get back in and pick up a young QB in the draft.

whisper
04-13-2023, 11:54 AM
Who's fretting over not 5/6 round pick?
I do think there's a chance the team will trade a next year (and maybe one of the two round 7 this year) to get back in and pick up a young QB in the draft.

Who? Some of the media and fans have been mentioning it. Just saying, other than AB almost no one of note has been drafted in the 5-6 rounds under this regime (15 years). Everyone knows they basically played Solitaire on their computers after round 3. Not so with Cowher.

Oviedo
04-13-2023, 11:57 AM
Who? Some of the media and fans have been mentioning it. Just saying, other than AB almost no one of note has been drafted in the 5-6 rounds under this regime (15 years). Everyone knows they basically played Solitaire on their computers after round 3. Not so with Cowher.

Media source??? Quote them.

WindyCitySteel
04-13-2023, 12:01 PM
What team does well consistently in the 5th and 6th rounds of the draft? Steelers also picked VDubs, Jesse James, Zach Gentry, Heyward, Brooks, Norwood, some decent starters some role players, all after your arbitrary 2012 cutoff, though.

whisper
04-13-2023, 12:14 PM
What team does well consistently in the 5th and 6th rounds of the draft? Steelers also picked VDubs, Jesse James, Zach Gentry, Heyward, Brooks, Norwood, some decent starters some role players, all after your arbitrary 2012 cutoff, though.

Wow, that list looks like the who's who of meaningful draft picks. Are you sure you didn't list Pgh's All Pro's instead?

whisper
04-13-2023, 12:15 PM
Media source??? Quote them.

Yea, I'll get right on that. It's so meaningful to me to sell you on it. Not.

feltdizz
04-13-2023, 12:21 PM
Another chance to hit the lottery is always a good thing IMO.

and sometimes you don’t win the jackpot (AB) but you may make your money back or find another Jesse James or Vince Williams in the 5th or 6th.

Iron City Inc.
04-13-2023, 02:49 PM
Last year it was Heyward, Robinson late n Warren as a f/a. No AB but not bad.
Wouldn’t surprise me if we made a trade for day 3 pick. That will help but our top 4 picks will make the draft or not.

Mick'sTeam
04-13-2023, 03:35 PM
You can say the same thing about any round. In those same years, there are far more misses than there are hits in the earlier rounds as well.

2008–
Rd 2 – Limas Sweed (WR)
Rd 3 – Bruce Davis (LB)
Rd 4 – Tony Hills (T)

2009–
Rd 3 – Kraig Urbik
Rd 3 – Keenan Lewis

2010-
Rd 2 – Jason Worilds
Rd 4 – Thaddeus Gibson

Rd 3 – Curtis Brown
Rd 4 – Cortez Allen

Rd 2 – Mike Adams
Rd 3 – Sean Spence
Rd 4 – Alameda Ta’amu

Sure some of those guys dealt with injuries, but it still remains the organization didn't get much, if anything from them. The entire thing is a crap shoot . I'm not crying about not having a 5th or a 6th, but the case that it's not a big deal should be applied to all rounds, not just 5 and 6. Those not bothered by not having a 5th or 6th, would they feel the same if we didn't have a 1st, or a 2nd, etc? Having more picks means there is a higher chance of getting one or two of them right, and there are good players that can come from those rounds.

Blitzer
04-13-2023, 03:39 PM
Yea, I'll get right on that. It's so meaningful to me to sell you on it. Not.

But it was important enough for you to open yet another thread? I read all things Steelers and dont recall media fretting over not having a 5ty or 6th.

feltdizz
04-13-2023, 04:21 PM
But it was important enough for you to open yet another thread? I read all things Steelers and dont recall media fretting over not having a 5ty or 6th.

dont you love when people make claims the FO feels a certain way and then get mad when you ask for proof?

its on YOU to prove his claims the FO feels a certain way.. lol.

Prowler
04-13-2023, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't fret over the lack of draft picks from rounds 5 to 7. If I were running a team in the NFL, I would trade those picks from rounds 5 to 7 and get an extra pick in round 4, or try to move up in the draft using that capital. I would do this every single year. Quality picks over quantity.

I'd rather sign undrafted free agents then waste draft capital on players who have little chance of becoming starters in the league.

whisper
04-13-2023, 05:58 PM
dont you love when people make claims the FO feels a certain way and then get mad when you ask for proof?

its on YOU to prove his claims the FO feels a certain way.. lol.

When did I bring FO into this? You are so pathetic.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-13-2023, 06:47 PM
It's not as if this Tomlin era team has done much in those rounds. (Cowher's teams were different, but we are talking Tomin here.)

5th Dennis Dixon, QB. Worthless
6 Mike Humpal, LB. Nothing
6 Ryan Mundy, DB. No one.

5 Joe Burnett, DB. Not
5 Frank Summers, RB. Nothing
6 Ra'Shon Harris, DT, not

5 Chris Scott, G. No
5 Crezdon Butler, DB. no
5 Stevenson Sylvester, LB. no
6 Jonathan Dwyer, RB, a hint of something
6 Antonio Brown, WR. The one outlier.

5 Chris Carter, LB, no
6 Keith Williams, G

Chris Rainey, RB. Big time waste

You get my point. This regime basically scores no one in the 5th or 6th rounds.

Tis is why I say upgrade with the best punter on the board in round 5 or 6 is you need one! Our scouts were not doing the job, expect of course for AB is the 6th round!