PDA

View Full Version : The Draft-Not the End of the Process

SteelerMaine83
04-28-2022, 11:57 AM
I'm a draftnik, and I admit it. (First step in the process).

Important thing to remember is the draft is not the final step in filling holes and putting a team together.

Obviously, the rush for the best UDFAs happens right after the draft, but then comes the rush for those desirable position specific FAs that are looking for a team (see Tyrann Mathieu) that need to chase the $ that's left (maybe 15-20 players). After that, remaining FAs looking for a team will have to take a vet minimum contract or risk being out of the league.

Then there's post draft releases, June 1st releases, and training camp releases.

Sometimes I get a little wound when I think of who we picked (or didn't), but there's still more to the process after the draft that may fill those holes (think Joe Haden).

Perspective.

WindyCitySteel
04-28-2022, 01:03 PM
Also, anyone taken day 3 is probably a career backup/special teamer, yet we'll hear analysts talk about our 7th round DL as a potential replacement for Cam Heyward, and post-draft articles ticking through every pick as "filling a hole".

Ernie
04-29-2022, 08:01 AM
Also, anyone taken day 3 is probably a career backup/special teamer, yet we'll hear analysts talk about our 7th round DL as a potential replacement for Cam Heyward, and post-draft articles ticking through every pick as "filling a hole".

They said that about Loudermilk last year. If he ends up being a solid depth piece I'm okay with the pick. Hated giving up a pick in this year's draft but oh well.

SteelerMaine83
05-01-2022, 06:00 AM
And herewe go. Steelers sign Damontee Kazee to a one year deal. Fills that Mike Hilton void about as well as anyone, and probably better than anyone in the draft could right away.

For what it's worth, I would continue the process of filling those holes we didn't cover in the draft (like improving our run D) and take a long look at Eddie Goldman. Dude doesn't give you much more than being a run stuffing beast, but I'll take that (especially at the low price he'll likely come at now).

Continue with process.

NorthCoast
05-01-2022, 07:20 AM
Was thinking the Steelers may be partially following the Rams model for roster construction. No, they didn't trade away their top draft picks but they may yet be in the market for big name players post-draft via trades.

Terrapin
05-01-2022, 07:41 AM
Was thinking the Steelers may be partially following the Rams model for roster construction. No, they didn't trade away their top draft picks but they may yet be in the market for big name players post-draft via trades.

What do we have to trade? Mason Rudolph for what, a bowl of soup?

NorthCoast
05-01-2022, 08:03 AM

Draft picks next year. That's the Ram's model.

WindyCitySteel
05-01-2022, 08:48 AM

It is going to be a bit chilly today...

NorthCoast
05-01-2022, 09:19 AM
So Philly drafted Jordan Davis and just resigned Fletcher Cox. Seems like a ripe opportunity for Colbert/Future GM to work a deal to grab Cox. Still playing at a decent level at 31 yrs old. Insurance against Tuitt and aged Alualu.

Flasteel
05-01-2022, 09:26 AM
This is a good reminder for all of us who were disappointed that we did not address the run defense more in the draft. Let's hope the right DT and/or ILB become available in the post-draft shuffle.

Buzz
05-01-2022, 09:43 AM
This is a good reminder for all of us who were disappointed that we did not address the run defense more in the draft. Let's hope the right DT and/or ILB become available in the post-draft shuffle.

It's a necessity now