PDA

View Full Version : Ask Gerry, pre-draft version

whisper
04-27-2022, 01:43 PM
https://www.post-gazette.com/uncategorized/2022/04/27/gerry-dulac-s-steelers-chat-04-27-22/stories/202204270113

I've never heard Gerry so dead set against a Steeler decision as he is against them taking a QB in the 1st; he didn't say he doesn't think they will, he is just against them doing so, with the lot of QBs out there this year.

He seems adamant on them going DL in the 1st, and another one by the 4th. He thinks them trading up for a QB is complete mental illness.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2022, 02:33 PM
I'm with him to a degree, however i think the team is going to get Willis. And i think it happens mostly with future draft capital, so it's not as painful this year with all our needs.

Steeler Mafia
04-27-2022, 02:34 PM
I believe Colbert is wanting to put his last stamp on the future of this organization, before he heads off into the sunset. He isn't going to leave without (in his mind, right or wrong) getting the successor to Ben. He certainly isn't going to let someone else take credit by forgoing the position until next year. If Gerry, or anyone else, believes Colbert will pass up this opportunity and not draft a QB, they are fooling themselves. However they do it, all signs point to the Steelers taking a QB in Rd 1 or (by trading down) very early Rd 2.

Now, do I believe this is the right move? Well, that is another story.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2022, 02:42 PM
I believe Colbert is wanting to put his last stamp on the future of this organization, before he heads off into the sunset. He isn't going to leave without (in his mind, right or wrong) getting the successor to Ben. He certainly isn't going to let someone else take credit by forgoing the position until next year. If Gerry, or anyone else, believes Colbert will pass up this opportunity and not draft a QB, they are fooling themselves. However they do it, all signs point to the Steelers taking a QB in Rd 1 or (by trading down) very early Rd 2.

well put... i agree completely

whisper
04-27-2022, 02:48 PM

Well great, but if he's wrong about the QB he takes in the 1st round, he will be damaging his legacy, not enhancing it. If they take Willis, you can count on them trying to prove it was the right pick for much longer than is prudent. It will be Kordell all over again. Who can ever forget the Kordell melt down vs. Denver in the AFC championship game IN Pgh? We had that game until KS threw into triple coverage to end the 1st half TD drive.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2022, 03:51 PM
Well great, but if he's wrong about the QB he takes in the 1st round, he will be damaging his legacy, not enhancing it. If they take Willis, you can count on them trying to prove it was the right pick for much longer than is prudent. It will be Kordell all over again. Who can ever forget the Kordell melt down vs. Denver in the AFC championship game IN Pgh? We had that game until KS threw into triple coverage to end the 1st half TD drive.
Nah... if you have a guy that gives a few highlights, no one blames the GM for selecting them - only the coach for not coaching them up to be better. Even if Lamar Jackson has peaked for his NFL career, that's no longer Ozzie's fault - he got his praise on the way out...

Bawb the Revelator
04-27-2022, 04:25 PM

I know squat about Malik but I remember Cowher spending 7 years trying to transform "Kordon't" into Bradshaw 2.0. Hey, Isaac Newton spent more years transforming Lead into Gold than on inventing Calculus or defining the 4 Laws of Physical Motion. But let's wish Kevin better luck than Cowher and Isaac Newton had! :)

Joel Buchsbaum
04-27-2022, 05:04 PM
Nah... if you have a guy that gives a few highlights, no one blames the GM for selecting them - only the coach for not coaching them up to be better. Even if Lamar Jackson has peaked for his NFL career, that's no longer Ozzie's fault - he got his praise on the way out...

Lamar Jackson played real comptetion ( ACC ) and was a quarterback who threw for more yards and ran it for significant yardage. Wills is not as good as a QB, not as good as a runner and played weak completion. We would be stupid to draft Willis in round one. Just don't. It will set the franchise backward.

feltdizz
04-27-2022, 05:24 PM

If we made an AFCCG in the first few years with Willis that would be awesome.

Is anyone down on Josh Allen thus far in his career?

and calling a pass play at the GL vs Denver was just dumb. We were running it down their throat and got cute just because it was the end if the quarter and had too much time to think about it.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-27-2022, 05:41 PM
https://www.post-gazette.com/uncategorized/2022/04/27/gerry-dulac-s-steelers-chat-04-27-22/stories/202204270113

I've never heard Gerry so dead set against a Steeler decision as he is against them taking a QB in the 1st; he didn't say he doesn't think they will, he is just against them doing so, with the lot of QBs out there this year.

He seems adamant on them going DL in the 1st, and another one by the 4th. He thinks them trading up for a QB is complete mental illness.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4242512/malik-willis

He threw for 300 ( just barely ) yards just once, and it took 46 passing attempts vs Army.

He was sacked 51 times in 13 games. This a lot because 1) it is, and 2) he did not drop back very often.

He threw it 30 or more times in just 3 games. In these 3 games, he had SIX picks and went 1-2.

His rushing average is only 4.5 yards a game. Few big plays over 25 yards, just 3. Lamar Jackson averaged 8.5 yards a game and had many big plays.

He did play one game vs SEC competition that resulted in three picks, and he threw it for only 174 yards. Hmmm, looks like the coaches did want him to throw much in a 27-14 loss. But he did run it a lot, 27 times at 2.4 yards per carry.

My guess is his processing speed is awful.

All this vs dog crap competiton.

Does this sound like a guy for round one?

WindyCitySteel
04-27-2022, 06:42 PM

It took him until his 3rd year to blossom and he still has bad games and head-scratching throws. Will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Flasteel
04-27-2022, 09:29 PM

I think that might be an oversimplification. I would agree that if Colbert & company believe one of these quarterbacks is a franchise-caliber player, then yes, they will of course punch that ticket. If they were absolutely convinced that one of them were, then I believe they would even trade up to get their guy. I would also agree that if there was a QB at 20 who was simply the highest-rated player left on their board, then they would take one.

But I think Colbert's the kind of guy who will stay within those parameters. He's not going to overdraft a quarterback, just to leave his mark on the future of the franchise. Like someone else posted, that could be one ugly mark, capable of staining his legacy.

I think it just all comes down to how the board falls and who they are targeting.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-28-2022, 08:02 AM
It took him until his 3rd year to blossom and he still has bad games and head-scratching throws. Will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Allen wasn't that good in colllege, but he had rare tools ( height, weight, arm, running ability, tough to be down ) and bloomed later with a good collection of skill palyers around him and coaching. I think he's good, not great.

Steeler Mafia
04-28-2022, 10:10 AM
There is no "if" about it. Over-reach, Under-reach, Colbert is not going to pass up this last opportunity. They will be selecting one of these QBs this year.

He doesn't care about staining his legacy. It is already set in his mind. (2X SB Champs, Multiple HF Players)

Steel Maniac
04-28-2022, 10:34 AM
I know squat about Malik but I remember Cowher spending 7 years trying to transform "Kordon't" into Bradshaw 2.0. Hey, Isaac Newton spent more years transforming Lead into Gold than on inventing Calculus or defining the 4 Laws of Physical Motion. But let's wish Kevin better luck than Cowher and Isaac Newton had! :)

Exactly. Willis is a cornball and has no championship material in him. All he'll do at best is be a Kordon't and Lamar Bumson and waste away the rest of our team. The worse thing that can happen to our team is Colbert making the biggest mistake of his GM career and wasting our first round pick on Willis.

feltdizz
04-28-2022, 10:52 AM

3 years isn’t a long time.

feltdizz
04-28-2022, 10:53 AM
Exactly. Willis is a cornball and has no championship material in him. All he'll do at best is be a Kordon't and Lamar Bumson and waste away the rest of our team. The worse thing that can happen to our team is Colbert making the biggest mistake of his GM career and wasting our first round pick on Willis.

what makes Willis a cornball?

His smile? His face? His hair?

Just weird.

I’m not big on Willis but not sure why he would get that label.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2022, 11:05 AM
I predicted in another thread, but will do it here so I don't seem crazy later for saying i did.

If Willis is there at 7, they WILL trade up with the Giants.

That's not what *I* want, but this feels as obvious as the selection of Najee was last year. This team doesn't do research for trading up that far unless they have a specific target in mind. Colbert said he has done that research. I'd like to think the target is a stud CB or OL/DL, but with all the QB research they did it just seems like a QB is the pick.

Having said that... the Giants already have 2 firsts and 2 thirds, so I don't think the Steelers are giving up a 2022 second rounder in this deal as would be typical. The giants don't want to fit in SIX day 1-2 guys on this team as it would really be relying on a single draft to be deep with good talent.

Meanwhile, the Steelers have too many holes to fill NOW and don't want to give up 2022 draft picks.

Therefore, this trade will center around 2023 draft capital, which works out perfectly for Colbert on his way out. He can have one last pretty full draft with what he perceives to be a stud at the top.

My guess is the Steelers give 2022 & 2023 first round picks to trade up to 7 - that'll be the meat of (if not all of) the trade.

Again, I hope it's NOT the QB, but if you made me bet, I'd wager on it.

Steeler Mafia
04-28-2022, 02:37 PM
Just read that the Cowboys are "desperate" to trade up into the top 14. Not sure who they are targeting, but depending on that offer, that could ruin the Steelers chances to trade up with the Giants.

Soooo looking forward to watching tonight.

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2022, 02:48 PM
what makes Willis a cornball?

His smile? His face? His hair?

Just weird.

I’m not big on Willis but not sure why he would get that label.

Steel Maniac just makes stuff up.

remember this is the guy who was high on Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield, he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

Eich
04-28-2022, 04:02 PM

They will be if his career goes in the same direction Kordell's did.

Pretty sure Allen already has more TD's than Kordell did in his career and very similar totals in rushing and rushing TD's.

feltdizz
04-28-2022, 04:26 PM
They will be if his career goes in the same direction Kordell's did.

Pretty sure Allen already has more TD's than Kordell did in his career and very similar totals in rushing and rushing TD's.

So the actual answer is no.. lol.

But I guess its fun to throw out careers that are over and assume the worst for a prospect or current player.