PDA

View Full Version : No one Riddler

Joel Buchsbaum
04-26-2022, 12:45 PM
A non power five player was blanketed Alabama without a touchdown and only completed 53.1% for only 144 yards. And this includes " Garbage time " That's who he is and he has started a lot of games, only recentky doing well this year vs. nobodies. Took too many sacks. 14.8% of his passes he was sacked vs. non power 5 pass rushers which makes me question is ability to locate receivers quickly. Not really a runner, he averaged just 3.3 yards per carry last year. In the NFL which is about 3 times as good he won't be doing it well. At least Pikcett and Corral played well vs real competition. Hard pass!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4239086/desmond-ridder

WindyCitySteel
04-26-2022, 12:49 PM
One game box-score scouting against the best team over the last ten years is definitely the best way to do this. :rolleyes:

The Man of Steel
04-26-2022, 12:55 PM
I was never a fan of the Riddler or the Penguin for that matter.

NorthCoast
04-26-2022, 12:58 PM
Yea, can't see this guy as the future franchise QB;

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.nE-kG8Hj-XTnyuUBDjPORAHaDt&pid=Api&P=0&w=347&h=173

feltdizz
04-26-2022, 12:58 PM
While the batted balls are a concern did you see the Cincy OL vs the Bama DL?

I wouldn’t base his whole career on one game but again, I am concerned about the batted balls. He didn’t make any adjustments or speed up his progressions. He played like it was against Bama State.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-26-2022, 01:00 PM
Ha ha. Okay riddle me this? What do you see in him to warrant a first round pick? I see nada.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-26-2022, 01:08 PM
While the batted balls are a concern did you see the Cincy OL vs the Bama DL?

I wouldn’t base his whole career on one game but again, I am concerned about the batted balls. He didn’t make any adjustments or speed up his progressions. He played like it was against Bama State.

Ridder has his share of batted balls becase he doesn't drop back and locate his man quick enough, nor is he skilled at throwing it short over the rush. He did not adjust you're right. I think he's just a media story for round one because he a Qb in a poor QB class.

WindyCitySteel
04-26-2022, 01:25 PM
Ridder is the best QB in this class at going through reads, running a pro offense, pocket manipulation, and he runs when he has to, not immediately after the first read blows up like half the class does. He can also throw on the run and break long runs if he has to. Finally, he's a gym rat and a grounded human being with a young child and reminds me of Ben with his competitive streak.

He's got the "hearts and smarts" in spades.

I keep hearing about accuracy issues, but according to PFF's Anthony Treash, he is 3rd in the class at accuracy on throws past the LOS. He's also working on mechanics with Jordan Palmer, same guy who fixed Josh Allen.

Then there's this:

https://twitter.com/BenjaminSolak/status/1518961244623020032?s=20&t=pOgV1mbGEpxjLkAQjEapvQ

Oviedo
04-26-2022, 01:44 PM
A non power five player was blanketed Alabama without a touchdown and only completed 53.1% for only 144 yards. And this includes " Garbage time " That's who he is and he has started a lot of games, only recentky doing well this year vs. nobodies. Took too many sacks. 14.8% of his passes he was sacked vs. non power 5 pass rushers which makes me question is ability to locate receivers quickly. Not really a runner, he averaged just 3.3 yards per carry last year. In the NFL which is about 3 times as good he won't be doing it well. At least Pikcett and Corral played well vs real competition. Hard pass!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4239086/desmond-ridder

I have no problem with Ridder in Round 2...but he is not Round 1 talent. I watched him play UCF every year and never got the idea he was going to be anything but solid. We already have that with Trubisky. I don't see Ridder as ever being better than Trubisky.

We shall see

Joel Buchsbaum
04-26-2022, 07:42 PM
Ridder is the best QB in this class at going through reads, running a pro offense, pocket manipulation, and he runs when he has to, not immediately after the first read blows up like half the class does. He can also throw on the run and break long runs if he has to. Finally, he's a gym rat and a grounded human being with a young child and reminds me of Ben with his competitive streak.

He's got the "hearts and smarts" in spades.

I keep hearing about accuracy issues, but according to PFF's Anthony Treash, he is 3rd in the class at accuracy on throws past the LOS. He's also working on mechanics with Jordan Palmer, same guy who fixed Josh Allen.

Then there's this:

https://twitter.com/BenjaminSolak/status/1518961244623020032?s=20&t=pOgV1mbGEpxjLkAQjEapvQ

Trash, I looked at the numbers, These #'s don't add up. By looking at that dataless sample, Ridder is the most accurate passer, but he isn't of the listed names. Only 64.9 percent completed lowest on the list in a non - power five conference. Agents sometimes pay people to make stuff up, I think. Don't beieve eveything on the internet.

feltdizz
04-26-2022, 08:13 PM
Ridder has his share of batted balls becase he doesn't drop back and locate his man quick enough, nor is he skilled at throwing it short over the rush. He did not adjust you're right. I think he's just a media story for round one because he a Qb in a poor QB class.

I agree. I was rooting for him all year and he disappointed in that playoff game.

The lack of urgency was a real concern. Its the playoff game, they finally made it and his internal clock was doo doo.

WindyCitySteel
04-26-2022, 08:36 PM
Trash, I looked at the numbers, These #'s don't add up. By looking at that dataless sample, Ridder is the most accurate passer, but he isn't of the listed names. Only 64.9 percent completed lowest on the list in a non - power five conference. Agents sometimes pay people to make stuff up, I think. Don't beieve eveything on the internet.

Really, an agent conspiracy theory? :D

You're scouting box scores and trashing people who watch and grade every play, maybe sit this one out.

WindyCitySteel
04-26-2022, 08:38 PM
I agree. I was rooting for him all year and he disappointed in that playoff game.

The lack of urgency was a real concern. Its the playoff game, they finally made it and his internal clock was doo doo.

We need to eliminate any player from our board who hasn't beaten Alabama.

Buzz
04-26-2022, 08:56 PM
I was never a fan of the Riddler or the Penguin for that matter.

I hear the Joker's wild

NorthCoast
04-26-2022, 09:47 PM
Of the 'Big 5' QBs in this draft only Strong and Pickett improved their completion % from the 2020 to the 2021 season. And Strong is interesting because he threw almost 50% more passes in 2021 vs 2020 while also maintaining his yds/att.

Willis' 61% completion rate in 2021 was the lowest of the Big 5 QBs and 3% lower than his 2020 completion rate.

feltdizz
04-26-2022, 09:51 PM
We need to eliminate any player from our board who hasn't beaten Alabama.

so sensitive.. lol. Would be more of a fan if he didn’t play so bad in that game.

WindyCitySteel
04-26-2022, 09:53 PM
so sensitive.. lol. Would be more of a fan if he didn’t play so bad in that game.

He didn't play as bad as his stats. Two dropped TDs, another dropped first down, many of the batted balls were DL unblocked. Played well vs GA and ND.

NorthCoast
04-26-2022, 11:04 PM
According to this guy everyone's got them ranked wrong. Read on for the whys. His comments on Willis, Ridder, and Corral should give pause.

I mean it when I say I wouldn't use a first-round pick on any of the QBs in this class unless I absolutely have to. The concerns are too great, but more than that, there just isn't a considerable difference between them as prospects.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2022-nfl-draft-ranking-the-quarterback-prospects-based-on-a-college-football-performance-formula/

Jack Coan anyone?!

Oviedo
04-27-2022, 01:36 AM
According to this guy everyone's got them ranked wrong. Read on for the whys. His comments on Willis, Ridder, and Corral should give pause.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2022-nfl-draft-ranking-the-quarterback-prospects-based-on-a-college-football-performance-formula/

Jack Coan anyone?!

I'd agree with that view...not in Round 1!

WindyCitySteel
04-27-2022, 07:27 AM

Jack Coan anyone?!

Gah...without context hard to interpret. If he's just looking at stats, a guy who checked down on every 3rd and long and whose team ended up punting would look fantastic. And most defenses suck in the NFL, teams can't load up 2 deep at every position like the great college defenses can.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-27-2022, 08:15 AM
Really, an agent conspiracy theory? :D

You're scouting box scores and trashing people who watch and grade every play, maybe sit this one out.

@ WindyCitySteel

I watch the games, watch the video, understad how to read data and understand the level of competition or lack thereof. What do you do? Probably less than me, but that's okay. I'm a football junkie. You don't have to be one. And by the way misinformation is a common practice during the draft process. The good scouts quickly smell the BS. The best deep passer by a good margin is Howell. He hit his man in stride, and the timing is right. Don't take my word on it, ask around or read a good football magazine. You can sit this one out.

feltdizz
04-27-2022, 09:16 AM
He didn't play as bad as his stats. Two dropped TDs, another dropped first down, many of the batted balls were DL unblocked. Played well vs GA and ND.

but they had more chances and Ridder didn’t step up IMO when given the chance.

and the Bama D saw something in Ridder which is why they batted so many balls. Slow wind up is an issue. It was like the 4th quarter where he finally threw a successful intermediate pass.

Just wished he showed more on that stage.

feltdizz
04-27-2022, 09:24 AM
@ WindyCitySteel

I watch the games, watch the video, understad how to read data and understand the level of competition or lack thereof. What do you do? Probably less than me, but that's okay. I'm a football junkie. You don't have to be one. And by the way misinformation is a common practice during the draft process. The good scouts quickly smell the BS. The best deep passer by a good margin is Howell. He hit his man in stride, and the timing is right. Don't take my word on it, ask around or read a good football magazine. You can sit this one out.

Howell was great his first 2 years.. but he regressed this year. Less talent but still a concern. Also heard Mack Brown implying that Howell took too many sacks and held the ball too long this year.

Will be interesting to see if he is legit. He really reminds me of Baker but that is purely based on his physical traits not his mental or passing ability.

WindyCitySteel
04-27-2022, 11:01 AM
Howell was great his first 2 years.. but he regressed this year. Less talent but still a concern. Also heard Mack Brown implying that Howell took too many sacks and held the ball too long this year.

Will be interesting to see if he is legit. He really reminds me of Baker but that is purely based on his physical traits not his mental or passing ability.

He's like Humble, Well-Adjusted Baker Mayfield, similar to how Willis is APSCA-Endorsed Mike Vick.

WindyCitySteel
04-27-2022, 11:04 AM
but they had more chances and Ridder didn’t step up IMO when given the chance.

and the Bama D saw something in Ridder which is why they batted so many balls. Slow wind up is an issue. It was like the 4th quarter where he finally threw a successful intermediate pass.

Just wished he showed more on that stage.

Justin Fields got humbled by Alabama on that stage the previous year, and had a better supporting cast.

feltdizz
04-27-2022, 12:17 PM
Justin Fields got humbled by Alabama on that stage the previous year, and had a better supporting cast.

I know.. but he also passed for 6 TD’s vs Clemson a week earlier and outplayed Lawrence.

but I think if Fields balled out vs Bama he gets drafted much higher.

Bawb the Revelator
04-27-2022, 06:29 PM
Ha ha. Okay riddle me this? What do you see in him to warrant a first round pick? I see nada.

Young Isaac Newton developed Quantum Physics' Four Laws of Motion and Calculus. After that he spent 20 years turning Lead into Gold, so there's that, too :)

Joel Buchsbaum
04-27-2022, 07:10 PM
Young Isaac Newton developed Quantum Physics' Four Laws of Motion and Calculus. After that he spent 20 years turning Lead into Gold, so there's that, too :)

Know something about the man do you? Yeah, he didn't know there were 115 elements, lacked an electon microscope, and didn't know how to increase or decrease the atomic weight with stabilization. Shame on him! But he was very for the winged T formation. Keeping the conversation around football. Or as he would way it futbol.

WindyCitySteel
04-27-2022, 07:59 PM
Bleacher Report's Big Board - Top QB is the 17th prospect in the class, no other QBs until 48. This is one of the more unique big boards I've seen.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2955009-br-nfl-scouting-depts-final-2022-nfl-draft-big-board

WindyCitySteel
04-27-2022, 08:07 PM
Here's a writeup on Ridder from Football Outsiders:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/draft-film-room/2022/desmond-ridder-prime-candidate-rookie-year