PDA

View Full Version : Three years form now, who on the roster do we have that is elite?

Joel Buchsbaum
04-24-2022, 11:38 AM
Watt, Fitz, and maybe an old Heyward? Anyone else? We must stock pile draft picks, not add band aid's in free agency. This team could be headed for a real crash, and we need that. I'm for BPA in the draft at this point. One draft is not going to return us to the top of this division. More like three drafts and it must yield a franchise level QB, Tackle, and Cornerback. This would be three of the key positions. But we can't add them this year because we are not in postion to draft them. We have the pass rusher. A star reciever would be nice. I'd say its on Colbert but he will be gone next year. Am I wrong to despair or am I spot on?

# build a team
# Get a new head coach who knows offense
# Manage the cap right

Captain Lemming
04-24-2022, 12:32 PM
Watt, Fitz, and maybe an old Heyward? Anyone else? We must stock pile draft picks, not add band aid's in free agency. This team could be headed for a real crash, and we need that. I'm for BPA in the draft at this point. One draft is not going to return us to the top of this division. More like three drafts and it must yield a franchise level QB, Tackle, and Cornerback. This would be three of the key positions. But we can't add them this year because we are not in postion to draft them. We have the pass rusher. A star reciever would be nice. I'd say its on Colbert but he will be gone next year. Am I wrong to despair or am I spot on?

# build a team
# Get a new head coach who knows offense
# Manage the cap right

I think this is mostly spot on as far as how to rebuild wisely. Glad we never signed Honey Badger for this very reason.

Long game to fix it right. I do not agree that a coaching change is necessary. Most hires are misses.

WindyCitySteel
04-24-2022, 01:00 PM
Heyward will be retiring in 3 years, Watt will be 31 (during the season), Najee will probably have very little tread left on his tires. Drafting Willis won't be meant to win with this core, but with the next one.

Captain Lemming
04-24-2022, 01:39 PM
Heyward will be retiring in 3 years, Watt will be 31 (during the season), Najee will probably have very little tread left on his tires. Drafting Willis won't be meant to win with this core, but with the next one.

Party pooper ( OK yes you are probably right).

Joel Buchsbaum
04-24-2022, 02:19 PM
I think this is mostly spot on as far as how to rebuild wisely. Glad we never signed Honey Badger for this very reason.

Long game to fix it right. I do not agree that a coaching change is necessary. Most hires are misses.

Correction, most of Tomiln's hires are misses. When we look for a new coach, we'll have the pick of the litter. Tomlin has had his chance with a stacked roster. We have nothing to show for it in the past ten years. He is non a rebuling type of coach and has little to say about the culture of the offense. Dont kid yourself, a new head coach is part of the rebuild.

We agree on how to add players.

Captain Lemming
04-24-2022, 02:55 PM
No most HEAD coaching changes ARE misses. The numbers are undeniable.

That is why we simultaneously have BOTH the fewest coach changes AND the most coaches with rings in the last 50 plus years.

3 of 3

Remember, the primary mind with a 100 percent track record for picking coaches is dead.

Odds are VERY BIG that our next swing or 5 will be misses.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-24-2022, 03:08 PM
No most HEAD coaching changes ARE misses. The numbers are undeniable.

That is why we simultaneously have BOTH the fewest coach changes AND the most coaches with rings in the last 50 plus years.

3 of 3

Remember, the primary mind with a 100 percent track record for picking coaches is dead.

Odds a VERY BIG that our next swing or 5 will be misses.

Disagree! With the pick of the coaches, odds are we get someone better. A coach who can build a team and win in the playoffs, which is something Tomlin hasn't done in six years despite good players to work with. Tell me the odds again or better yet show me head coach who hasn't won a playoff game in six years and remained with the team. Rule out the cheap Bengals. Go! See how many names you can come up with. I think we have the same number or that coach is a rare case who has already passed. See my point?

Captain Lemming
04-24-2022, 03:28 PM
Disagree! With the pick of the coaches, odds are we get someone better. A coach who can build a team and win in the playoffs, which is something Tomlin hasn't done in six years despite good players to work with. Tell me the odds again or better yet show me head coach who hasn't won a playoff game in six years and remained with the team. Rule out the cheap Bengals. Go! See how many names you can come up with. I think we have the same number or that coach is a rare case who has already passed. See my point?

If Art II feels confident in hiring someone better than Tomlin I'm cool with that. He knows better than me.

I think he looks at the fact that the teams in the division who practice what you preach have no rings and he has 6 gives him pause.

Or maybe he feels different and I'd support the change.

But feel free to delude yourself that you know better than a man raised from birth to make such decisions. :)

BURGH86STEEL
04-24-2022, 03:46 PM
I would be a millionaire if I could predict the powerball. I'd be the best GM in the NFL if I could make these types of predictions. There are reasons why the majority of roster turnover happens approximately every 4 to 5 seasons/years in the NFL.

Ultimately, what should provide some comfort to this fan base is the Steelers ability to put together consistent winners and continuously add talent to the team, elite or not.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-24-2022, 04:30 PM
-JB

If Art II feels confident in hiring someone better than Tomlin I'm cool with that. He knows better than me.

I think he looks at the fact that the teams in the division who practice what you preach have no rings and he has 6 gives him pause.

Or maybe he feels different and I'd support the change.

But feel free to delude yourself that you know better than a man raised from birth to make such decisions. :)

I don't feel confident in Art II making those decisions. He seems like an unplugged owner. And by the way, he has ZERO rings, I think you are confusing him with his grandad and his father.

I guess you came up with no names. All I did was ask. :)

Northern_Blitz
04-24-2022, 07:11 PM
I think that this is a very difficult question to answer with any kind of certainty.

If we compare the roster for next season with the one three seasons ago, how much turnover is there?

We'll have guys peak and decline in the next 3 years. And we'll have new guys that shine.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/Lp71UWmAAeJHi/giphy.gif