PDA

View Full Version : What will make you cry in the upcoming draft...and jump for joy

Oviedo
04-22-2022, 03:00 PM
Three "crys" for me:

1. Drafting a QB in Round 1, especially if we have to trade up. Not the year. Let Trubisky show what he can do
2. Not adding to the defensive line by the end of Round 2
3. Not getting a WR by the end of Round 3

Three "jumps" for me:

1. Getting Kyle Hamilton
2. Getting Jordan Davis or Devonte Wyatt
3. Trading down in Round 1 for more picks

Captain Lemming
04-22-2022, 03:16 PM
Three "crys" for me:

1. Drafting a QB in Round 1, especially if we have to trade up. Not the year. Let Trubisky show what he can do

Three "jumps" for me:

1. Getting Kyle Hamilton

It is funny how many new ones here think OV is a blind Homer.
If we draft a wrong guy... those of us long timers know....we have seen it before.
Dude will not shut up about it.
Gone will be the talk of "trusting the team".

Beware of the WRATH OF OVIEDO!!! :)

Captain Lemming
04-22-2022, 03:19 PM
It is funny how many new ones here think OV is a blind Homer.
If we draft a wrong guy... those of us long timers know....we have seen it before.
Dude will not shut up about it.
Gone will be the talk of "trusting the team".

Beware of the WRATH OF OVIEDO!!! :)

That said... I kinda agree with you on all counts you list. :)

whisper
04-22-2022, 03:26 PM
Three "crys" for me:

Three "jumps" for me:

1. Getting Kyle Hamilton

I'd agree with everything except possibly #2 of "jump." I'm just not sure about Davis; a physical freak no doubt. He rated a 6.5, which is listed as "boom or bust" and I agree with that. I'm not sure how many plays you will get his best effort from during an NFL game.

hawaiiansteel
04-22-2022, 03:28 PM
rest assured, all players we draft will be "Steelers types", BPA, and outright steals. :p

WindyCitySteel
04-22-2022, 03:53 PM
Cry:

Willis (esp trade up) -- Not even close to being ready to play in the NFL
S other than Hamilton -- Reach for need
Pickett - Already at ceiling, which is Andy Dalton IMO

Jump:

Jordan Davis - Run defense fixed
Hamilton - Best safety pair in league
Olave - True #1 WR
Bonus - Any of the above and Corral or Ridder in round 2

Sugar
04-22-2022, 03:53 PM
I really don't want a QB first or second round. That said, I'll root for him to succeed for the sake of the team if they do. I didn't want Jarvis Jones and happened to be right. I didn't want Pouncey and turned out to be wrong. Either way, I know that they team has done their research and will do what they know.

WindyCitySteel
04-22-2022, 03:55 PM
Olave - True #1 WR

https://i.imgflip.com/6dicoq.jpg

flippy
04-22-2022, 04:05 PM
I'll jump for joy if we do things that set us up to win #7 and I'll cry if we don't do those things.

Oviedo
04-22-2022, 04:18 PM
Cry:

Willis (esp trade up) -- Not even close to being ready to play in the NFL
S other than Hamilton -- Reach for need
Pickett - Already at ceiling, which is Andy Dalton IMO

Jump:

Jordan Davis - Run defense fixed
Hamilton - Best safety pair in league
Olave - True #1 WR
Bonus - Any of the above and Corral or Ridder in round 2

With you on all the above

Eich
04-22-2022, 04:27 PM
I have a strong feeling they're going QB in round 1. I won't cry or lose any sleep but I think it's the wrong move. But I'm looking forward to seeing what they do. I want to read some actual Steelers news as opposed to some of the things that's been written about around here lately!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-22-2022, 05:10 PM
Cry:

*Trade up for first round QB (I won't be happy with 1 at #20 but have come to terms with it)
*No OT picked by the end of Friday

Jump

*First round OT
*First round CB if not OT
*WR by day 2

Expect DL, LB at some point but not as desperate.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-23-2022, 03:23 PM
Cry

1. Drafting Wills. No, no, no. Not a passer. Played vs weak competition.
2. Trading up for any player.
and Picking a WR, G, T, S, or CB in round one.

Yes!

1. Getting Lloyd, or Corral in round one
2. Trading out of round one for and picking up draft capital. ( would have to see the trade )
3. Getting Howell in round two.

We need a re-load like when we drafted Seracy, Kirkland and Steed 1,2&3. Now that was a very dood draft.

Steel Maniac
04-23-2022, 03:43 PM
Three cry’s for me:

1. Wasting a first round pick on Hamilton ( decent safeties can be found later in the draft.. he’s not a TP)
2. Drafting Willis in the first round ( don’t want a run first QB that can’t read defenses ; can’t pass which means he won’t ever win a chip for us)
3. Taking a WR in the first round. ( Such a deep draft in WR that I want to wait until later to take one)

Three jump for joy:

1. Us trading down in the first round and picking up more picks.
2. Us taking the best D-line/ILB player in round one.
3. Us taking the best O-line player in round two.

WindyCitySteel
04-23-2022, 03:58 PM
I have a strong feeling they're going QB in round 1. I won't cry or lose any sleep but I think it's the wrong move. But I'm looking forward to seeing what they do. I want to read some actual Steelers news as opposed to some of the things that's been written about around here lately!

Dave and Alex went through all the non-QB potential picks at 1.20 and came up with 4 based on who the Steelers visited, what they typically pick regarding underclassmen, need, etc. 2 of the 4 were SS, as this was before the Edmunds signing. Another was the GA WR who now is reportedly falling down boards because of off the field issues.

Can't remember the other guy, but it speaks to your point - they're taking a QB. I'm thinking Matt Corral.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-25-2022, 11:51 AM
Three "crys" for me:

Three "jumps" for me:

1. Getting Kyle Hamilton
I love the jumps... I'd actually jump for exactly the same moves.

For the "cry", it would depend on who/how.
I'd cry with a trade up for QB, but if they sat at 20 and Willis fell, "meh".

If for some reason they get Davis, then nab a QB in the 2nd, then say an OT in the 3rd... I won't be upset about WR... I guess I'm saying it all depends on how the draft boards play out.

Steel Maniac
04-25-2022, 12:01 PM

Yeah, I’m with you. Too much speculation talk. We need some actual things to happen to really discuss.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-25-2022, 01:36 PM
The problem is, there are years where the talking heads knock guys, then they turn out to be Patrick Mahommes. That year, Kiper blasted them (and gave them a C+) for giving up a 3rd to move up in the 1st to get him. Probably turned out to be the best deal of the draft...

He also gave the class of Watt, Schuster, Cam Sutton, James Conner, a B+ because he had Tyus Bowser rated higher than TJ... In 5 seasons, Bowser has 19 career starts. TJ had more SACKS last year that Bowser has career starts... bwahahaha

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/story/_/id/18974431/2017-nfl-draft-grades-mel-kiper-grades-draft-class-all-32-teamshttps://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/story/_/id/18974431/2017-nfl-draft-grades-mel-kiper-grades-draft-class-all-32-teams
https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/story/_/id/18974431/2017-nfl-draft-grades-mel-kiper-grades-draft-class-all-32-teams

papillon
04-25-2022, 04:15 PM
The only thing that will bother me would be trading up in round 1 and either depleting what little draft capital we have this year or dipping into next year's draft picks, anything else will be fine with me, then I just hope the picks work out for the team. I don't mean moving up a couple spots, I'm talking a major move up for a specific player.

Pappy

SteelBucks
04-25-2022, 06:37 PM
Three "crys" for me:

Three "jumps" for me:

1. Getting Kyle Hamilton

Based on Tomlin and Colbert comments today, they’re definitely taking a QB in round 1. I don’t like it but that’s the direction they’re going.

NJ-STEELER
04-25-2022, 10:36 PM
Cry.
Willis in the first. too much of a project.
Might be ok with a trade down in bottom of the first and drafting him plus getting additional picks

drafting front 7 in top 2 rounds.
this is still the biggest strength of our team. With or without tuiit.
why did we trade 2 picks for louder milk last year if they didn’t think he was a good prospect.

dreegking
04-26-2022, 02:39 PM
Good lead into.

I’m going 1. No QB is worth the extra draft Capitol to move up and get. I think the Steelers know it also. At 20. Depends. Maybe. Actually moving up for anyone this year unless too 5 or 6 is pointless. Abs they won’t do that.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-26-2022, 05:24 PM
Three "crys" for me:

1. Davis/Wyatt fall and the team doesn't select them
2. Overpaying for a trade up
3. A big reach on a position (whether that be QB, WR, CB, S) because they guy they wanted was gone and they panicked

Three "jumps" for me (completely agree with an love the original 3):

1. Getting Kyle Hamilton

WindyCitySteel
04-26-2022, 08:51 PM
2. Overpaying for a trade up

Like this?

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/status/1519109339151220737?s=20&t=ctqQp6YbqSpV-Fpnyu6Nlg

NorthCoast
04-26-2022, 09:04 PM
Like this?

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/status/1519109339151220737?s=20&t=ctqQp6YbqSpV-Fpnyu6NlgIf the Steelers make such a trade it will obviously mean they believe that QB 'has it' as a franchise player. You don't move that far for a player you are unsure will work out, or even a development project.

WindyCitySteel
04-27-2022, 07:47 AM
If the Steelers make such a trade it will obviously mean they believe that QB 'has it' as a franchise player. You don't move that far for a player you are unsure will work out, or even a development project.

A move like that for a guy like Willis is a "stake my career" kind of move. If it flops, and especially if someone taken after 20 turns out better, heads should roll.

If it works?

Hall of Fame.

Eich
04-27-2022, 07:49 AM
I predict a lot of crying after the first round.

flippy
04-27-2022, 07:56 AM
I predict a lot of crying after the first round.

I agree. Most of the board will complain no matter what we do. :)

Steel Maniac
04-27-2022, 08:30 AM
I agree. Most of the board will complain no matter what we do. :)

I don’t think so; for example, if we didn’t go QB in the first round, the vast majority knows why. They know this QB class isn’t that great.

flippy
04-27-2022, 08:46 AM
I don’t think so; for example, if we didn’t go QB in the first round, the vast majority knows why. They know this QB class isn’t that great.

Yeah and I have a feeling we're going to take a QB.

I seriously think the only thing that would make everyone happy is if we took Hamilton in the 1st :)

WindyCitySteel
04-27-2022, 09:17 AM

What's more likely - the Steelers don't take a QB in the first because of

1) An early run and their guy is gone

2) All QBs available and they don't like any of them in the 1st

I think 2) would shock Steeler Nation and most pundits.

feltdizz
04-27-2022, 09:34 AM

I agree, I think an early run is the only reason we wouldn’t make a move for a QB in the first.

Cracks me up how some think Mitch means we are good at QB this year. I don’t think we view him as anything more than a low risk gamble to compete with MR.

Steel Maniac
04-27-2022, 10:49 AM

Number two would be most shocking but there will be at least two taken before our pick. Probably Atlanta & Carolina. Mitch is a decent stop gap QB for this season. There's no "have to have a QB this draft" pressure on us because there is no "have to have " QB in this draft. We can buy a year with Mitch and fix things around him to maximize whatever he is bringing. Atleast there is no pressure to have to make a first round selection on a QB.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-27-2022, 10:51 AM
Cracks me up how some think Mitch means we are good at QB this year. I don’t think we view him as anything more than a low risk gamble to compete with MR.

I don't think that most believe "we are good" as much as Mitch is a guy who I am fine to send out (and maybe see if he can play) while we wait to find our next hopefully franchise guy instead of drafting a guy we don't believe is the next franchise QB because we feel we need to draft someone.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-27-2022, 10:52 AM

#2 would definitely be a shocker. I can't believe that after all this time of doing so much homework and leaving no stone unturned, that the FO does not believe that one of these guys is worthy of pick #20.

NorthCoast
04-27-2022, 01:20 PM
I predict a lot of crying after the first round.Hopefully those are tears of joy....:)

I agree, I think an early run is the only reason we wouldn’t make a move for a QB in the first.

Cracks me up how some think Mitch means we are good at QB this year. I don’t think we view him as anything more than a low risk gamble to compete with MR.I think the majority view is, a) MT is at least as good as any QB in this draft so why waste a pick, or b) none of the QBs are worth spit so take the lumps this season with whoever at QB and hope for a better QB class next year.

As another poster said, you make the wrong choice this season and it will be several years of watching blah football for Steeler fans.

The one other thought I had is maybe the Steelers have a slightly different plan. Considering MT is on a one year deal, IF the Steelers draft a QB this year and he sits behind MT, it's not unreasonable to think that if the season doesn't go well they will turn around and draft another QB next season. Having a potential franchise QB always on deck might be the new way to manage the position.

Northern_Blitz
04-27-2022, 01:46 PM
Hopefully those are tears of joy....:)

I think the majority view is, a) MT is at least as good as any QB in this draft so why waste a pick, or b) none of the QBs are worth spit so take the lumps this season with whoever at QB and hope for a better QB class next year.

As another poster said, you make the wrong choice this season and it will be several years of watching blah football for Steeler fans.

The one other thought I had is maybe the Steelers have a slightly different plan. Considering MT is on a one year deal, IF the Steelers draft a QB this year and he sits behind MT, it's not unreasonable to think that if the season doesn't go well they will turn around and draft another QB next season. Having a potential franchise QB always on deck might be the new way to manage the position.

This.

Plus I think it will be easier for us to move away from MT quickly if he doesn't play well.

If we pick a guy in the 1st round, the Steelers will almost certainly stick with him for at least 4 years IMO.

WindyCitySteel
04-27-2022, 04:41 PM
If the Steelers don't draft a QB, I'm happy with Mitch, but not because I think he's better than all the QBs in this draft. Rather because I think it's more likely he'll lead us to our next franchise QB with a top 5 pick next year.

SteelerMaine83
04-27-2022, 06:40 PM
A move like that for a guy like Willis is a "stake my career" kind of move. If it flops, and especially if someone taken after 20 turns out better, heads should roll.

If it works?

Hall of Fame.

So why would Colbert care about staking his career on it--he's retiring anyway. That's almost scary to me...

SteelerMaine83
04-27-2022, 06:45 PM
Cry:

1) Trading up for anyone, especially a QB;
2) Picking a QB. Watching a draft show the other day, they said that all of the QB's this year would not be selected ahead of last year's top 5 QBs. I have also seen articles that talk about this. Wow, enough said.
3) Reaching for a pick--like taking someone way ahead of where they should be picked.

Jump for joy:

1) Unless Hamilton, Cross, Penning, Stingley or London falls, trading back for extra picks.

Eich
04-28-2022, 07:20 AM
I feel it in my bones that the Steelers are getting a QB in the first. Will be pleasantly surprised if that's not the case. I'm just not really excited about any of them. The wait is almost over...

WindyCitySteel
04-28-2022, 07:38 AM
I feel it in my bones that the Steelers are getting a QB in the first. Will be pleasantly surprised if that's not the case. I'm just not really excited about any of them. The wait is almost over...

Feel the same. After going over the options for months, studying them, ranking them, trying to find the best qualities of each, when I take a step back and look at the big picture I'd just rather we pass and get a Strong or Coan late.

What's worse is I know there are guys we won't draft even if they fall to us, since Tomlin/Colbert didn't go to their pro days. We could end up taking a mid to low-tier starting QB instead of a #1 WR.

We're going to reach for need - QB, slot WR, box safety. Those are still the three biggest holes. Not feeling good about tonight and tomorrow, hope I'm surprised and we walk away with Hamilton or Davis or by some miracle, Olave.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-28-2022, 09:56 AM

I have the same feeling. My two hopes at this point are:

1) Do not trade up for a QB
2) Hope that someone else drafts the guy(s) they want and they are not willing to spend the 20th pick on the leftovers that drop so have to draft elsewhere.

My ideal draft has the Panthers (Darnold) going QB at #6, the Falcons (Mariota) at #8, Seahawks (Lock) at #9, Saints (Winston, Dalton) at #16 or 19.

Bonus points for the Giants (Jones) at #5 or 7, Lions (Goff) at #2.

Not only does that remove the Steelers temptation to draft a QB, but it will also mean that several players who we never thought would be available will have to drop.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2022, 11:46 AM
Like this?

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/status/1519109339151220737?s=20&t=ctqQp6YbqSpV-Fpnyu6Nlg
DEFINITE overpay...

I think the deal with the Giants and in a "best case" scenario, the Steelers give up 2022 & 2023 first and 2022 seventh. The giants give up 7th pick in 2022 and a 5th rounder (from Chi), which would more fully balance out this draft for the Steelers.

Mr.wizard
04-28-2022, 11:50 AM
I just cant wait for the draft to be over.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2022, 11:50 AM
I disagree. The team took the best RB on the board last year and a LOT of the board didn't like it. This team could take Jordan Davis and half the board would ask why they spent a first on a 2-down player.

Some people are here simply to complain.

Northern_Blitz
04-28-2022, 12:18 PM
I disagree. The team took the best RB on the board last year and a LOT of the board didn't like it. This team could take Jordan Davis and half the board would ask why they spent a first on a 2-down player.

Some people are here simply to complain.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I think the average response on the board re: Najee was something like: "I think he was probably BPA, but man...I wish one of those OTs fell because I'd rather not take a RB in the 1st. Seems like a good player and a good kid off the field."

I could just be projecting what my feeling was though.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2022, 12:34 PM
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I think the average response on the board re: Najee was something like: "I think he was probably BPA, but man...I wish one of those OTs fell because I'd rather not take a RB in the 1st. Seems like a good player and a good kid off the field."

I could just be projecting what my feeling was though.
There were definitely some that said, "RB can be grabbed later", due to positional value of RB these days. Mostly they were the Creed Humphrey crowd (who apparently didn't understand the positional value of C). Some wanted Tevin Jenkins. When Friermuth was taken in the 2nd and creed was passed on again, some folks heads exploded. LOL

WindyCitySteel
04-28-2022, 12:58 PM
There were definitely some that said, "RB can be grabbed later", due to positional value of RB these days. Mostly they were the Creed Humphrey crowd (who apparently didn't understand the positional value of C). Some wanted Tevin Jenkins. When Friermuth was taken in the 2nd and creed was passed on again, some folks heads exploded. LOL

I'd trade Najee for Creed straight up in a heartbeat. The C anchors the OL. Could have gotten any of a number of backs to run through those holes.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2022, 02:20 PM
I'd trade Najee for Creed straight up in a heartbeat. The C anchors the OL. Could have gotten any of a number of backs to run through those holes.
dude, the team coulda gotten creed in the 2nd.. they DID NOT WANT HIM. He was such a bad fit for what they want out of their o-linemen. It woulda been like drafting an OLB who can't pass rush... just plain dumb. But, that's a whole other conversation...

https://c.tenor.com/skoHPJAc8_UAAAAd/tony-burton-apollo-creed.gif

(Ya can't get much more fitting that a gif speaking to Apollo Creed)

WindyCitySteel
04-28-2022, 02:39 PM
dude, the team coulda gotten creed in the 2nd.. they DID NOT WANT HIM. He was such a bad fit for what they want out of their o-linemen. It woulda been like drafting an OLB who can't pass rush... just plain dumb. But, that's a whole other conversation...

If you think a generational player doesn't fit your scheme, you need to change your scheme. Isn't that Tomlin's whole "red paint, paint the barn red" spiel?

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2022, 03:01 PM
If you think a generational player doesn't fit your scheme, you need to change your scheme. Isn't that Tomlin's whole "red paint, paint the barn red" spiel?

He's a mauler, for sure. I don't know about generational, but i hear ya.

But, he doesn't move like the Steelers preferred. They like their C to get out in front and lead sweeps and traps and such. Kendrick Green struggled, but with his selection, you may not have seen it beforehand, but you should NOW easily see what they're looking for - the next Pouncey, who's agile, etc. That's not him.

Some guys are better zone blockers, some better power scheme. You have to know their strengths, your teams plans and marry them. Bad fits are poor drafting.

Oviedo
04-28-2022, 04:32 PM

You change your scheme for a QB...not a Center

WindyCitySteel
04-28-2022, 04:38 PM
You change your scheme for a QB...not a Center

They did for Pouncey.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-28-2022, 05:38 PM
He's a mauler, for sure. I don't know about generational, but i hear ya.

But, he doesn't move like the Steelers preferred. They like their C to get out in front and lead sweeps and traps and such. Kendrick Green struggled, but with his selection, you may not have seen it beforehand, but you should NOW easily see what they're looking for - the next Pouncey, who's agile, etc. That's not him.

Some guys are better zone blockers, some better power scheme. You have to know their strengths, your teams plans and marry them. Bad fits are poor drafting.

Green won't be starting next year. A very bad draft pick, and us fans know who was on the board. No more wasting draft picks.

NJ-STEELER
04-29-2022, 10:04 PM
Cry.
Willis in the first. too much of a project.

drafting front 7 in top 2 rounds.
this is still the biggest strength of our team. With or without tuiit.
why did we trade 2 picks for louder milk last year if they didn’t think he was a good prospect.

*****cough****

NorthCoast
04-30-2022, 07:22 AM
Overall, not crying but sobbing a bit.

PIck 1; I wasn't really in the 'draft a QB this year' crowd but OK, they got the best QB in the class. I'll be patient and see what happens. Canada will have no excuses since he got a QB that can run his offense to a T.
Pick 2; A WR was clearly a need but I was shocked at how quickly the top ones were snapped up this year. I think 7 in the first round?! Pickens is OK. Not sure he is a #1WR from what I have read but probably the best one available without trading up.
Pick 3; it's funny (in a sad way) but it seemed every player I was coveting was picked just a few picks before the Steelers. Was hoping for Jones to fall to the Steelers.

The Steelers just seemed to be in no-man's land at their draft position. The drop in talent at each round seemed to be steep just a few picks before the Steelers. And they clearly were uninterested in moving around.

So just a little ho-hum so far. Hoping for a stellar Day 3...

Oh, and there is always free agency after cut downs. Should be some good vet talent available and the Steelers still have cap space.