PDA

View Full Version : Trading Claypool

NorthCoast
04-21-2022, 07:15 AM
This sounds intriguing. Would you do it?? I would.

Proposed Trade Sends Packers AFC Stud Receiver on Draft Day

By Jordan J. Wilson
Updated Apr 20, 2022 at 1:23pm

The Green Bay Packers are still searching for a way to replenish their receiving corps with the 2022 NFL draft a little more than a week away, and while their two first-round selections could land a pass catcher, the wheels continue to turn on their other options.

In his annual list of hypothetical trade packages for each of the 32 first-round picks in the draft ESPN’s Bill Barnwell proposed an interesting scenario in which the Packers flipped their No. 22 overall pick for a stud receiver — the Pittsburgh Steelers‘ Chase Claypool — and a later-round pick in a three-team trade.

Here’s the deal:

Packers get: WR Chase Claypool (from Steelers), 4-114 (from Falcons)
Steelers get: 1-8, 6-190 (from Falcons)
Falcons get: 1-20 (from Steelers), 1-22 (from Packers)

It’s the first three-team trade here! There are other ways for each of these teams to accomplish their goals, but this gets all three organizations what they want have coming out of this draft.

Let’s start with the Packers, who add a valuable young receiver set to make just $2.7 million combined over the next two seasons. Claypool didn’t take a leap forward in his second season, but he has the size and physical tools to win at all levels of the field, and he’d get a massive upgrade at quarterback when it comes to deeper routes. The Packers have been rewarded for their patience in the past; remember that Davante Adams himself was seen as a disappointment after his second season and didn’t post a 1,000-yard campaign until his fifth year. Claypool’s early success makes him a slightly better bet than the average rookie being drafted in the 20s.

Claypool Could Be Better Than Rookie Gamble
If the Steelers would be open to moving Claypool, the Packers would be silly to not consider it. At 6-foot-4 and 238 pounds, Claypool is a big and physical weapon who made 121 receptions in his first two seasons — which is just two short of what Marquez Valdes-Scantling managed in twice as many seasons with the Packers. Claypool, who will be 24 when the season starts, also played those two seasons with a waning Ben Roethlisberger, so he could be explosive with four-time MVP quarterback Aaron Rodgers throwing to him.

The Packers would still have three of the top 60 picks in the draft, including No. 28. They could add another receiver if they wanted — perhaps Jahan Dotson, Christian Watson, George Pickens, Skyy Moore or Alec Pierce — and still have premium capital left to address other needs, like right tackle. In Barnwell’s scenario, the Packers would also get an additional fourth-round pick from Atlanta (No. 114) to give them three total picks in the fourth round.

Trade Would See Steelers ‘Sacrifice’ Claypool for QB
The trade could make sense from the rebuilding Steelers’ perspective, Barnwell wrote, noting that the Steelers’ No. 1 receiver, Diontae Johnson, “due for a massive extension” after the 2022 season, “which would make it difficult for the Steelers to then offer Claypool a similar deal the following offseason.”

Trading Claypool now could get a significant return for him and put the pieces toward a more important spot for their future: quarterback.

“In this scenario, the Steelers sacrifice Claypool and the No. 20 pick to move up and get their quarterback of the future,” Barnwell wrote. “They can use their second- or third-round pick to draft Claypool’s replacement, sign Johnson to an extension and move forward with a transitioning core on offense. This deal values Claypool as being worth something in the ballpark of the No. 34 pick in a typical draft.”

The Packers’ original pick would actually end up with the Falcons in this scenario, but the Steelers would move up to Atlanta’s original position at No. 8 overall where they could most likely have their pick of quarterbacks — as long as Detroit and Carolina avoid taking one of the top prospects before Pittsburgh is on the clock.

Is it a long shot that such a three-team deal would take place? Of course, but it’s also hard to deny that a trade like the one Barnwell proposed wouldn’t benefit all sides.

https://heavy.com/sports/green-bay-packers/chase-claypool-draft-trade-scenario/

Ernie
04-21-2022, 07:27 AM
This trade certainly would be a game changer for Claypool.

WindyCitySteel
04-21-2022, 07:33 AM
I'd do it, but I'd probably take someone at 1.8 than who I believe they will take.

flippy
04-21-2022, 09:07 AM
I'd do it, but I'd probably take someone at 1.8 than who I believe they will take.

Id want to take Stingley, Sauce, Ekwonu, Davis, Cross, or Hamilton who I think all could be there at that pick.

That would probably be my order of preference.

And if you are betting the farm on a QB, the only ones I can buy them really believing in and needing to go up and get are Ridder or Pickett in that order.

They both have tape that shows they can play. I just think there’s more to get excited about with Ridder. His composure while getting blitzed is what sets him apart. And in the NFL that’s what makes some QBs great. How the work under pressure.

The more I watch, the more I wonder is Ridder going to be the 1st QB?

WindyCitySteel
04-21-2022, 09:24 AM
Id want to take Stingley, Sauce, Ekwonu, Davis, Cross, or Hamilton who I think all could be there at that pick.

That would probably be my order of preference.

And if you are betting the farm on a QB, the only ones I can buy them really believing in and needing to go up and get are Ridder or Pickett in that order.

They both have tape that shows they can play. I just think there’s more to get excited about with Ridder. His composure while getting blitzed is what sets him apart. And in the NFL that’s what makes some QBs great. How the work under pressure.

The more I watch, the more I wonder is Ridder going to be the 1st QB?

I think the Steelers are trading up for Willis and Willis only. Ridder would be my pick along with Corral, I don't want Pickett.

Northern_Blitz
04-21-2022, 09:34 AM
I like Claypool more than most.

I'd do this. I don't follow the players in the draft too much. Would we be able to get a high value LT at pick 8? That's what I think I'd be looking for if I couldn't get the QB they have 1st on the board (and I assume at least 1 QB will go in the first 7 picks). Seems to me that's it would be great to have a long term, high end LT so we don't have to think about the position any more.

I'd maybe even think about trading back down to see if I could be among the teams that have multiple 1st round picks in next year's draft.

I don't think a trade like this happens. Because (1) I think that Claypool wouldn't be valued highly enough to move from 20 to 8 (and get a 4th) and (2) because 3 team trades are even less likely that 2 team trades so I'll take the chalk here.

Prowler
04-21-2022, 10:19 AM
I would do it. Claypool although a freakish athlete has a low football IQ. When a player is getting in bar fights and kicking people in the head, he's headed down the path to where his profession isn't important to him.

He's become a lazy player who doesn't listen to his coaches. Games on the line who cares, Claypool doesn't. He'll dance around and not bother hustling back to the line.

Contested catches? Forget about it, Claypool will get out muscled by a much smaller player all the time.

Low IQ and Lazy? Yes this is Claypool all the way. Hell 2 years as a pro in the Steelers system and he still runs the wrong route and he can't learn more than 2 routes. A one trick, low IQ, lazy pony.

Mental Toughness? How many times does he jump for the ball and gets injured as a result? To make matters worse after he's injured and doesn't make the catch he's got to sit out for the next 3 series. I'm done with him.

Same with Bush, Tuitt and Fitzpatrick All cut from the same cloth.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-21-2022, 10:55 AM
Depends on what they do at 8. If it is the same gamble on a raw low-floor, high-ceiling QB then I'd rather sit tight. I hate to say that as I'm no college scout and typically trust those who are the professionals, but have seen and read nothing that leads me to believe that Willis (or anyone) is close enough to a sure fire franchise stud that you'd expect at #8.

However, this draft does have some very high end talent at a number of positions, notably OT, CB, and Edge - two of those positions happen to have openings for a franchise caliber talent.

Again, I'm not the scout but would jump on the top available player who falls between Neal, Ekwonu, Cross, Gardner, Stingley. Would also love guys like Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Johnson and Hamilton but can't justify giving up what it takes to move into top ten to grab an Edge or Safety. Edge because the team is pretty stocked and Safety because the relative cost/value of an NFL Safety is not there.

D Rock
04-21-2022, 11:28 AM
Definitely in favor of trading Claypool if the price is right. I had high hopes for him, but I just don't like his attitude. It's not what this team needs, and that just might be why the Steelers weren't interested in keeping JuJu around. JuJu taught Claypool how to develop his brand. Literally mentored him in it. The team needs to come first right now.

WindyCitySteel
04-21-2022, 11:52 AM
Same with Bush, Tuitt and Fitzpatrick All cut from the same cloth.

Fitzpatrick? Dafuq? Dude played LB last year because the guys in front of him were so bad.

Mr.wizard
04-21-2022, 11:58 AM
I want to keep Claypool I think he is going to break out in a big way this year.

Ernie
04-21-2022, 12:09 PM
Fitzpatrick? Dafuq? Dude played LB last year because the guys in front of him were so bad.

I thought that was a bit of a reach also

crushedspirit
04-21-2022, 12:40 PM
Writer is out to lunch. When did Claypool become a stud WR? The guy can't even get separation on most of his routes run.

whisper
04-21-2022, 01:07 PM
I like Claypool more than most.

I'd do this. I don't follow the players in the draft too much. Would we be able to get a high value LT at pick 8? That's what I think I'd be looking for if I couldn't get the QB they have 1st on the board (and I assume at least 1 QB will go in the first 7 picks). Seems to me that's it would be great to have a long term, high end LT so we don't have to think about the position any more.

I'd maybe even think about trading back down to see if I could be among the teams that have multiple 1st round picks in next year's draft.

I don't think a trade like this happens. Because (1) I think that Claypool wouldn't be valued highly enough to move from 20 to 8 (and get a 4th) and (2) because 3 team trades are even less likely that 2 team trades so I'll take the chalk here.

I got a question: What tapes of CC were they watching to make anyone believe he is worth much in a trade? Couldn't have been 2021 tapes, he sucked all year. He failed to make any grabs if a defender was anywhere near him.

Prowler
04-21-2022, 01:30 PM

He played like dog sh** last season, because he was crying about being in "the box" so much. This is what got him a one way trip out of Miami.

Minkah is suppose to be a team player but he's forgotten this critical thing. His position in the system requires Minkah to play centerfield or in the box depending on the game situation. The problem was that he tackled with the effort of Devin Bush in the box. He sulked constantly exposing his lazy effort, his poor attitude, and his general disdain for the coaching staff's strategy. This resulted in his 59 PFF rating in 2021. Minkah, you get paid a lot of money, do your damn job!

Joel Buchsbaum
04-21-2022, 01:45 PM
He played like dog sh** last season, because he was crying about being in "the box" so much. This is what got him a one way trip out of Miami.

Minkah is suppose to be a team player but he's forgotten this critical thing. His position in the system requires Minkah to play centerfield or in the box depending on the game situation. The problem was that he tackled with the effort of Devin Bush in the box. He sulked constantly exposing his lazy effort, his poor attitude, and his general disdain for the coaching staff's strategy. This resulted in his 59 PFF rating in 2021. Minkah, you get paid a lot of money, do your damn job!

I get why Minkah complained as the high saftey position didn't see much action as the offense was busy targeting two short and slow ILB's who can't cover, and our corners had there issues. Hence Minkak didn't have the same year. Yeah he had issues with the coaching staff...lot of Dolphins did. Ironicallly the coach was fired by Miami and he's back with Pittsbrugh as an IL coach. I view that as a good move, so far as he stays away for Fitzpatrick.

Prowler
04-21-2022, 02:03 PM
I get why Minkah complained as the high saftey position didn't see much action as the offense was busy targeting two short and slow ILB's who can't cover, and our corners had there issues. Hence Minkak didn't have the same year. Yeah he had issues with the coaching staff...lot of Dolphins did. Ironicallly the coach was fired by Miami and he's back with Pittsbrugh as an IL coach. I view that as a good move, so far as he stays away for Fitzpatrick.

Yes that is all true. I am absolutely terrified that he'll continue his dog sh** effort after getting a huge contract and than clashing with Flores again.

There is no way I'd offer him top dollar, most especially if he's not playing centerfield 95% of the time. If he's playing in the box often he's only as valuable as Edmunds is in my view.

Thanks for the reply.

NorthCoast
04-21-2022, 02:06 PM

Minkah is suppose to be a team player but he's forgotten this critical thing. His position in the system requires Minkah to play centerfield or in the box depending on the game situation. The problem was that he tackled with the effort of Devin Bush in the box. He sulked constantly exposing his lazy effort, his poor attitude, and his general disdain for the coaching staff's strategy. This resulted in his 59 PFF rating in 2021. Minkah, you get paid a lot of money, do your damn job!I don't think it's as simple as that. If the team is lacking players and he needs to play his position as well as theirs then it's probably going to impact his game. It's similar to the coaches asking Ray-ray to block DEs after Juju got injured. Sure, he did his best but he simply wasn't good at it.

Buzz
04-21-2022, 02:18 PM
Writer is out to lunch. When did Claypool become a stud WR? The guy can't even get separation on most of his routes run.

Can't see Clayfool bringing the kind of return that writer is talking about. For the same investment, Packers could likely acquire a WR who has shown a little more production

Oviedo
04-21-2022, 02:45 PM
Trading a player with Claypool's potential without having a better, proven player is how you become the Jacksonville Jaguars

Prowler
04-21-2022, 02:46 PM
I don't think it's as simple as that. If the team is lacking players and he needs to play his position as well as theirs then it's probably going to impact his game. It's similar to the coaches asking Ray-ray to block DEs after Juju got injured. Sure, he did his best but he simply wasn't good at it.

As a fan, the Minkah situation is likely an over simplification of him and the problems on the defense. I'm just reacting to what I see on the field. I'm happy to let the x's and o's guys, who know more than me figure out the solution. I'm merely just stating my opinion for what it's worth.

Prowler
04-21-2022, 02:53 PM
Trading a player with Claypool's potential without having a better, proven player is how you become the Jacksonville Jaguars

I think we have a real dilemma on our hands. Keeping a talented guy like Claypool with a 10 cent brain is also how we become the Jaguars.

Thankfully, Steelers management is smarter than the fanbase most of time, and they will save us from you, me and the other know it all's.

Northern_Blitz
04-21-2022, 03:14 PM
I got a question: What tapes of CC were they watching to make anyone believe he is worth much in a trade? Couldn't have been 2021 tapes, he sucked all year. He failed to make any grabs if a defender was anywhere near him.

My guess is that a guy that is like the 24th WR in total yards while playing poorly would have some value.

Especially if that guy was a deep threat on a team that couldn't even throw intermediate.

But I don't think a team would take the other side of this trade either.

SteelBucks
04-21-2022, 03:43 PM
I don’t believe in the theory of making an already weak position weaker as a improvement. I’d pass and take the BPA available at 20 who is not a QB.

Ernie
04-21-2022, 04:58 PM
I don’t believe in the theory of making an already weak position weaker as a improvement. I’d pass and take the BPA available at 20 who is not a QB.

This is where I'm at.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-21-2022, 05:18 PM
Yup... This was clearly not a steelers-centric post and clearly didn't consider team needs, but instead the needs of the Packers (or Falcons). This is someone who doesn't realize the team lost JuJu, Washington and RayRay all in the same offseason and I just don't see them even considering that as a possibility. Even if they did all that to get a moderately better WR, why not keep CC, stay at 20 and simply add another WR with him.

It'd be a dumb move.

whisper
04-21-2022, 06:24 PM
My guess is that a guy that is like the 24th WR in total yards while playing poorly would have some value.

Especially if that guy was a deep threat on a team that couldn't even throw intermediate.

But I don't think a team would take the other side of this trade either.

Ben couldn't hurl it all day any longer, but let's not pretend he didn't put enough passes right in CC's mitts deep that CC couldn't come up with because a CB was nearby. Starting NFL WRs are supposed to catch some of those, CC seemed to drop most all of them.

Bawb the Revelator
04-21-2022, 11:13 PM
Definitely in favor of trading Claypool if the price is right. I had high hopes for him, but I just don't like his attitude. It's not what this team needs, and that just might be why the Steelers weren't interested in keeping JuJu around. JuJu taught Claypool how to develop his brand. Literally mentored him in it. The team needs to come first right now.

Absolutely! Other than Willis, jumping to get ANY QB is a huge error. Either Tombert trusts Tombert's GM/HC skills or they don't. Writing off Trubisky 100% is absurd precognition unless my geriatric antennae are completely off. Relax, If I can be patient in my Year 84, so can y'all :)

Buzz
04-21-2022, 11:16 PM
Ben couldn't hurl it all day any longer, but let's not pretend he didn't put enough passes right in CC's mitts deep that CC couldn't come up with because a CB was nearby. Starting NFL WRs are supposed to catch some of those, CC seemed to drop most all of them.

and/or immediately fall down

Flasteel
04-22-2022, 06:10 AM
Yup... This was clearly not a steelers-centric post and clearly didn't consider team needs, but instead the needs of the Packers (or Falcons). This is someone who doesn't realize the team lost JuJu, Washington and RayRay all in the same offseason and I just don't see them even considering that as a possibility. Even if they did all that to get a moderately better WR, why not keep CC, stay at 20 and simply add another WR with him.

It'd be a dumb move.

Agreed. Claypool wouldn't fetch that much and we're left with one receiver on the roster. This is absurd.

Northern_Blitz
04-22-2022, 06:19 AM

Wasn't his deep ball accuracy among the worst of all starting QBs? And not just last year?

Claypool isn't a superstar. He certainly needs to learn how to catch balls better when contested. And to keep his feet.

He's far below his ceiling IMO.

But he's still at least a mid-level WR2.

With a lot of upside left.

That's a player that you probably want on your team IMO.

I think it's silly that people talk about him like he's Limas Sweed. I think some are still upset about the 1st down signal and feel like that overrides everything.

WindyCitySteel
04-22-2022, 07:20 AM

I must have missed all the complaining and sulking. Dude was all over the field and doing his teammates' jobs.

WindyCitySteel
04-22-2022, 07:23 AM
Yes that is all true. I am absolutely terrified that he'll continue his dog sh** effort after getting a huge contract and than clashing with Flores again.

Dogsh!t effort? Lol, he was all over the field making Bush and Schobert's tackles for them. Maybe stick to dragging the dead through the mud based on rumors.

Northern_Blitz
04-22-2022, 07:34 AM
I must have missed all the complaining and sulking. Dude was all over the field and doing his teammates' jobs.

But he's only been an all pro in 2 of the 3 seasons he's been here.

Time to get rid of that bum!!!

Ernie
04-22-2022, 07:46 AM
Fitzpatrick is a stud.