PDA

View Full Version : If memory serves (and it does) Claypool sucked in 21

whisper
04-17-2022, 01:04 PM
I've been watching some games from 2021, and Claypool mostly sucked in 2021. The problem arises when he is contested AT ALL. He dropped several (most) pass when his hands got on the ball but the defender had any physical contact at the same time. He is big and strong and supposed to win more of those matchups than he loses.

But in 2021, he mostly drops passes where a CB has any contact.

If he doesn't fix this, we need another WR out there as our 1,2 or 3. I attribute this to lack of focus, repetition in practice. He doesn't take his job seriously enough. It's obvious. It was especially obvious in the Bears and 2nd Browns game.

Steel Maniac
04-17-2022, 01:56 PM
We already know we need a real # 1 WR. Problem is we don't have a lot of draft capital to address all our needs. You have to think where does this need rate as a priority in regards to our other needs.

Shawn
04-17-2022, 01:59 PM
Unfortunately the closest player to a true number 1 at WR is Garrett Wilson and he will be long gone by the time the Steelers make their pick.

hawaiiansteel
04-17-2022, 02:22 PM
Unfortunately the closest player to a true number 1 at WR is Garrett Wilson and he will be long gone by the time the Steelers make their pick.

when healthy, Jameson Williams is also a true #1 WR.

the WRs the Steelers have been showing a lot of attention are George Pickens and Skyy Moore.

Shawn
04-17-2022, 02:41 PM

the WRs the Steelers have been showing a lot of attention are George Pickens and Skyy Moore. I know many are hyping up Jameson Wilson. Is he a true number one? It's hard to say. I see him as a more polished Mike Wallace. The dude has elite explosiveness and speed. His hands are solid. This is just my opinion but I think his route running is average at best. He's a bean pole and I don't see him getting off the press easily at the next level. He needs to add some lean muscle to that frame. Can he run block? If not, the Steelers won't draft him.

hawaiiansteel
04-17-2022, 03:24 PM
I know many are hyping up Jameson Wilson. Is he a true number one? It's hard to say. I see him as a more polished Mike Wallace. The dude has elite explosiveness and speed. His hands are solid. This is just my opinion but I think his route running is average at best. He's a bean pole and I don't see him getting off the press easily at the next level. He needs to add some lean muscle to that frame. Can he run block? If not, the Steelers won't draft him.

Jameson Williams reminds me of Tyreek Hill, I would love to have him as one of our WRs.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-17-2022, 03:40 PM
I've been watching some games from 2021, and Claypool mostly sucked in 2021. The problem arises when he is contested AT ALL. He dropped several (most) pass when his hands got on the ball but the defender had any physical contact at the same time. He is big and strong and supposed to win more of those matchups than he loses.

But in 2021, he mostly drops passes where a CB has any contact.

If he doesn't fix this, we need another WR out there as our 1,2 or 3. I attribute this to lack of focus, repetition in practice. He doesn't take his job seriously enough. It's obvious. It was especially obvious in the Bears and 2nd Browns game.

Yes, but who was throwing him the ball? Claypool needs a passer whose not dead in the pocket, has a good arm, and an OL that can pass block for more than 3 seconds. That and the playbook held us back last year. I'm telling ya.

This doesn't excuse his lack of maturity. Do you thin Cowher or Noll would tolerate that from a non rookie? I do not, so in way Tomlin and his kid gloves are part of the problem. We need Claypool to produce the way he can and the QB / OL / Playbook problem limited him last year. Take that away from him things will get better.

And grow up kid.

Shawn
04-17-2022, 06:15 PM
Jameson Williams reminds me of Tyreek Hill, I would love to have him as one of our WRs. Alright, so what do you think is the main difference in a Tyreek Hill and a Mike Wallace? And that's the gap between first round 1A game changer and a "one trick pony" 2 WR. Tyreek has an innate knowledge of guys have to play him. Which is off. That's because his twitch is second to none. I wouldn't call him an elite route runner. I would say he is savvy and takes what he sees. Wallace as fast as he was never fully got that or the coaches never did. Hard to tell. But, I'll grant you that Jameson is somewhere between Wallace and Hill. Would I spend a first on it? No. I haven't seen anything that makes me believe Jameson is an elite route runner, can block, can break the press. He's blazing fast. He reminds me much of Parris Campbell from OSU who was ridiculous fast but hasn't amounted to anything in the pros.

Chucktownsteeler
04-17-2022, 06:41 PM
I am cautiously optimistic that Claypool will work on his craft over the offseason. I was pleased he went down to Florida to work with the team.

Captain Lemming
04-18-2022, 01:02 AM
I know many are hyping up Jameson Wilson. Is he a true number one? It's hard to say. I see him as a more polished Mike Wallace. The dude has elite explosiveness and speed.

A more polished Mike Wallace? I'd take that.
Who was our "number one" receiver the last time we made a Superbowl?

Shawn
04-18-2022, 02:23 AM
A more polished Mike Wallace? I'd take that.
Who was our "number one" receiver the last time we made a Superbowl?
I won't lie Jameson has me intrigued. But, I'm not seeing enough on tape to make me assured he is a true game changer. I mean I see a guy who isn't strong enough to run block or break the press. His routes are average. But his twitch and speed make me want to keep an eye on him. He is a guy you have to game plan for no doubt. I understand why you like him but can He can be coached up like Wilson. Olave is topped out. He can't get better. He is so professional in his routes he is a game one starter. But, IMHO he has reached his ceiling. I stand by saying Olave is a 2. A really solid 2 ro 1b.

feltdizz
04-18-2022, 06:36 AM
A more polished Mike Wallace is a #1 WR.

NorthCoast
04-18-2022, 07:10 AM
Claypool's drops were maddening at times. He was 4th in the NFL in drop %. But it might surprise you who was 2nd and 3rd. They are considered top #1 WRs in the NFL. Hint; 3rd place share's a name with Claypool. 2nd place shares a nickname with James Harrison.

Claypool needs to work on his body control while making breaks and reaching for balls. If he corrects the falling-down-on-the-catch he could return to a top WR.

Northern_Blitz
04-18-2022, 09:14 AM
Claypool has (lots of?) room to grow.

But he's already a #2 WR with ~ 1,000 total yards in years 1 and 2. TDs way down in year 2 though.

Hopefully another year of training for a raw guy coming out of college helps him get better at the craft.

whisper
04-18-2022, 09:34 AM

the WRs the Steelers have been showing a lot of attention are George Pickens and Skyy Moore.

Most likely because they are more in the range of possible picks, round wise. Moore could go as low as the 4th round.

feltdizz
04-18-2022, 09:52 AM
Claypool's drops were maddening at times. He was 4th in the NFL in drop %. But it might surprise you who was 2nd and 3rd. They are considered top #1 WRs in the NFL. Hint; 3rd place share's a name with Claypool. 2nd place shares a nickname with James Harrison.

Claypool needs to work on his body control while making breaks and reaching for balls. If he corrects the falling-down-on-the-catch he could return to a top WR.

I think Claypools numbers appear worse because he doesn’t get that many targets to begin with..

seems like he gets 1 or 2 jump balls a game and they rarely ended as completions last year.

I would like to see more intermediate stuff where he doesn’t have to dive or jump for it and can get YAC. This was the biggest difference in year 2. First year he made things happen AFTER he had the ball.

flippy
04-18-2022, 10:09 AM
Everyone on O gets a mulligan for the last year. We had a QB and Oline with severe limitations. Hard to evaluate the skills guys fairly given the circumstances.

whisper
04-18-2022, 10:29 AM
Yes, but who was throwing him the ball? Claypool needs a passer whose not dead in the pocket, has a good arm, and an OL that can pass block for more than 3 seconds. That and the playbook held us back last year. I'm telling ya.

This doesn't excuse his lack of maturity. Do you thin Cowher or Noll would tolerate that from a non rookie? I do not, so in way Tomlin and his kid gloves are part of the problem. We need Claypool to produce the way he can and the QB / OL / Playbook problem limited him last year. Take that away from him things will get better.

And grow up kid.

I don't disagree with the "grow up kid" and Cool Shades propensity to allow such behavior, especially compared to Noll and even Cowher. But the QB/OL problems do NOT address Chase's weak hands assertions; the drops I am talking about are with the ball right in his hands. And he can't hold onto it. It had nothing to do with Ben's rag arm or the porous OL. Those things had already been overcame by the time the rock found itself in CC's mitts, and he simply dropped it, time after time after time. That will not change with a QB with a better arm or a better OL. The kid is weak, period. Keep him for one more season, but that's it. He needs to improve his concentration and effort and GrOW the F up, as you contend. He had a promising rookie year, but since, el stinko, period, no excuses.

whisper
04-18-2022, 10:34 AM
Everyone on O gets a mulligan for the last year. We had a QB and Oline with severe limitations. Hard to evaluate the skills guys fairly given the circumstances.

Disagree. You CAN evaluate a WR who showed weak hands to the point of any contact with a defender whatsoever ends up in an incompletion. That has nothing to do with a QB with a rag arm or bad OL. The balls were in the kids mitts, and he dropped them. Time after time. The kid lacks focus and is immature. Re-watch the Bears and 2nd Browns game to see what I am talking about.

Northern_Blitz
04-18-2022, 11:03 AM
Disagree. You CAN evaluate a WR who showed weak hands to the point of any contact with a defender whatsoever ends up in an incompletion. That has nothing to do with a QB with a rag arm or bad OL. The balls were in the kids mitts, and he dropped them. Time after time. The kid lacks focus and is immature. Re-watch the Bears and 2nd Browns game to see what I am talking about.

What do you think would be good targets for him to not "suck" re: yards, TDs, etc?

I think he's far from perfect, but I bet the vast majority (probably all) of WRs have things we could point to that they are bad at.

But he did have ~ 1,000 yards of total offense of a team that wasn't good at offense. Total of 956 yards, good for 58th in the league. 27 of the guys in front of him are RBs, 3 are TEs. That means 28 WRs had more yards from scrimmage.

That's for a deep threat guy on a team that can't throw it deep (not sure we fix that problem with Mitch).

The decline in TDs was disappointing (from 9+2 to 2+0). Hopefully that ticks back up to where it was in year 1.

For context: Claypool was 35th in the league in receiving yards (860) and 20th in YPC (14.6) on 59 receptions (105 trgt). He also had 96 rushing yards. DJ had 1,161 and 10.9 in the same categories (107 rec, 169 trgt) + 25 rushing yards.

I think it will be interesting to see how the results of the pass catchers change with a different QB.

Oviedo
04-18-2022, 11:52 AM
Our #1 RECEIVER is going to be Freiermuth. Brady was his best when Gronk was his primary go to.

Add in Najee's pass receiving ability...do we need an elite wideout? Especially with the way the market has gone beyond crazy

feltdizz
04-18-2022, 12:18 PM
Our #1 RECEIVER is going to be Freiermuth. Brady was his best when Gronk was his primary go to.

Add in Najee's pass receiving ability...do we need an elite wideout? Especially with the way the market has gone beyond crazy

yes, we need an elite WR and should find it in the draft. We can worry about his contract 4 years from now.

flippy
04-18-2022, 01:07 PM

Just based on contracts, we’d be better off getting another TE that’s no more than a glorified WR just so we don’t have to pay them WR money.

WindyCitySteel
04-18-2022, 08:39 PM

Olave is better than all of them, unfortunately I think the Bears are going to draft him.

WindyCitySteel
04-18-2022, 08:45 PM

Freiermuth is a nice player, he's not Gronk.

WindyCitySteel
04-18-2022, 08:46 PM
Claypool has issues stacking CBs when he's out wide, hence the need for all of the combat catches he fails at. He would be best utilized as a big slot receiver.

Chucktownsteeler
04-18-2022, 08:52 PM
Olave is better than all of them, unfortunately I think the Bears are going to draft him.

Interesting, Fields and Olave reunited.

WindyCitySteel
04-18-2022, 09:06 PM
Interesting, Fields and Olave reunited.

Aaaaaaand, an impossibility without a huge trade. Forgot the Bears don't have a #1 pick. Still, I think Olave isn't falling to 1.20.

Chucktownsteeler
04-18-2022, 09:28 PM
Aaaaaaand, an impossibility without a huge trade. Forgot the Bears don't have a #1 pick. Still, I think Olave isn't falling to 1.20.

Then way did you predict it?

WindyCitySteel
04-19-2022, 07:00 AM
Then way did you predict it?

That's where the "forgot" part comes into play. I think he will go before 1.20, that was the point.

Shawn
04-19-2022, 07:25 AM
A more polished Mike Wallace is a #1 WR. Depends on how well polished.

Shawn
04-19-2022, 07:27 AM
Olave is better than all of them, unfortunately I think the Bears are going to draft him. Olave is most certainly more polished and a finished product than all of them. That I will grant you. But, there is a reason Wilson will go earlier in the draft.

Northern_Blitz
04-19-2022, 08:01 AM
Freiermuth is a nice player, he's not Gronk.

This is that I think too.

I think he's more of a Heath type player. Can block and catch. Sure handed. Makes plays.

I don't think he'll be the focal point of the offense, but who knows. Could also be because I was originally for drafting the C instead of him.

It would be awesome if he becomes a guy like that.