PDA

View Full Version : Trubisky the QB

NorthCoast
04-17-2022, 09:00 AM
One measure of a good/great QB is what they can do under duress, so let's have a look at what Trubisky has done ( Roethlisberger and Rudolph stats for comparison);

Trubisky
Roethlisberger
Rudolph

Pass Atts when blitzed^

Comp. % when blitzed^
55%
58%

TDs/INTs when blitzed^
5/3
6/1

Sacks when blitzed^

QB_rating when blitzed^

TDs/INTs - trailing < 4 min. to go*
7/5
33/23
1/0

QB rating - trailing < 4 min. to go*

Play action QB rating*

*career
^Roethlisberger - 2021 season; Trubisky 2019 season

Records against AFCN:

QB rating
W
L
T

Roethlisberger

Trubisky

Rudolph

So it seems where Trubisky might be an upgrade is when running play action passing. Note that Trubisky has nearly as many play action attempts as Roethlisberger and Rudolphed combined.

To me, the AFCN record will be critical in deciding who can be the Steelers next franchise QB. I'm not sure we will ever see the dominance that Roethlisberger had over the division but a winning record will go a long way toward post season play (as a side note it's interesting Cleveland moved on from Mayfield who had a 0.500 record in the AFCN. LJ is 12-8 against AFCN).

Shawn
04-17-2022, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure you are comparing apples to apples because it was different systems, different coaches and surrounding cast. With that said, Trubisky said that was one of the big appeals of working with Canada...play action.

NorthCoast
04-17-2022, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure you are comparing apples to apples because it was different systems, different coaches and surrounding cast. With that said, Trubisky said that was one of the big appeals of working with Canada...play action.

This is true, especially for PA attempts. But also keep in mind when a QB is blitzed they frequently have to go off schedule on the play.

Shawn
04-17-2022, 01:56 PM
This is true, especially for PA attempts. But also keep in mind when a QB is blitzed they frequently have to go off schedule on the play. Fair point. But, I don't think anyone here including myself thinks Trubisky is going to be the next Big Ben. Those are massive shoes to fill. What I do believe is that Trubisky is better than 2021 BB. And a used up Ben still took us to the playoffs.

Let me break down what I see. I see Myles Jack as a huge upgrade at ILB. I love his athleticism and physicality. We have large upgrades on the OL and we haven't even hit the draft. The loss of JuJu isn't that significant. I see the OL being much better this year. I see the run game becoming a force. I think Canada establishing the run game and doing much play action is only going to help Trubisky. I don't think he is a finished product and I do believe he is capable of getting the Steelers to the playoffs.

Steel Maniac
04-17-2022, 02:00 PM
Fair point. But, I don't think anyone here including myself thinks Trubisky is going to be the next Big Ben. Those are massive shoes to fill. What I do believe is that Trubisky is better than 2021 BB. And a used up Ben still took us to the playoffs.

Let me break down what I see. I see Myles Jack as a huge upgrade at ILB. I love his athleticism and physicality. We have large upgrades on the OL and we haven't even hit the draft. The loss of JuJu isn't that significant. I see the OL being much better this year. I see the run game becoming a force. I think Canada establishing the run game and doing much play action is only going to help Trubisky. I don't think he is a finished product and I do believe he is capable of getting the Steelers to the playoffs.

Canada's whole system is still an unproven system. Nothing last year made any of us think that Canada was a good OC. Now, was that because of the decline of Ben? Sure could be. So he's been given a bit of a pass but he's still unproven.

I like the path your trying to walk Shawn; by and large I agree with it. But I'm being cautious and staying neutral until we see which way things fall.

hawaiiansteel
04-17-2022, 02:07 PM
Trubisky will most likely be our starter this season so we will soon be able to see with our own eyes instead of having to speculate.

I'm hoping he surprises a lot of people, but won't be holding my breath.

Shawn
04-17-2022, 02:18 PM
Canada's whole system is still an unproven system. Nothing last year made any of us think that Canada was a good OC. Now, was that because of the decline of Ben? Sure could be. So he's been given a bit of a pass but he's still unproven.

I like the path your trying to walk Shawn; by and large I agree with it. But I'm being cautious and staying neutral until we see which way things fall.

I'm optimistically neutral about Canada. I have no idea if he is a good coach. What I will say is judging him based off of last year is unfair. First, BB as much as I love Ben was spent. His arm was a wet noodle. Second, BB was still running the show not Canada. I think the next two seasons will give us a fair assessment of Canada and I would give him that long.

NJ-STEELER
04-17-2022, 02:49 PM
Just wait til we unleash the hell of play action pass football to the rest of the league.

DCs won’t know what hit them.

move over bill Walsh

NorthCoast
04-18-2022, 06:59 AM
Fair point. But, I don't think anyone here including myself thinks Trubisky is going to be the next Big Ben. Those are massive shoes to fill. What I do believe is that Trubisky is better than 2021 BB. And a used up Ben still took us to the playoffs.

Let me break down what I see. I see Myles Jack as a huge upgrade at ILB. I love his athleticism and physicality. We have large upgrades on the OL and we haven't even hit the draft. The loss of JuJu isn't that significant. I see the OL being much better this year. I see the run game becoming a force. I think Canada establishing the run game and doing much play action is only going to help Trubisky. I don't think he is a finished product and I do believe he is capable of getting the Steelers to the playoffs.No intention to imply MT is the next BB. But stats without some kind of benchmark are hard to relate to. Everyone knows how Roethlisberger has played so it's an easy comparison. And all of the things you say are true. My only reservation is how much other teams the Steelers play have improved. CIN has arguably improve much more than the Steelers. CLE has greatly upgraded the QB position, although we get a reprieve for maybe half a season. And BAL is an unknown quantity but will likely be a lot stronger than last season's injury-riddled team.
So the Steelers might have done enough to maintain status quo on a relative basis. The QB is a wildcard. MT's floor is likely lower than any AFCN QB and his ceiling might be LJ-like, at least passing wise.

Northern_Blitz
04-18-2022, 09:16 AM
No intention to imply MT is the next BB. But stats without some kind of benchmark are hard to relate to. Everyone knows how Roethlisberger has played so it's an easy comparison. And all of the things you say are true. My only reservation is how much other teams the Steelers play have improved. CIN has arguably improve much more than the Steelers. CLE has greatly upgraded the QB position, although we get a reprieve for maybe half a season. And BAL is an unknown quantity but will likely be a lot stronger than last season's injury-riddled team.
So the Steelers might have done enough to maintain status quo on a relative basis. The QB is a wildcard. MT's floor is likely lower than any AFCN QB and his ceiling might be LJ-like, at least passing wise.

I think we'll have a better team.

But I don't know if we'll have a better record.

It seems like we kind of had everything go just right to get into the playoffs last year.

And if the Rats didn't have so many injuries, we probably don't make it IMO.

You never know, but I think it's hard to think we'll be better than 3rd in the North this year. Maybe we nab the 7th seed again?

flippy
04-18-2022, 09:58 AM
I think MT's floor is higher than MR's ceiling. I also think MT's floor is higher than anyone else's floor aside from Sam Howell who I think is very similar.

The real question is what are all of these guy's ceilings? MT doesn't have the physical ceiling of Willis, but it comes down to which guy has the highest mental/leadership ceiling? Any of them can put in the work and develop this side of their game, but who's likely to reach the highest?

I'd guess the likely highest overall ceiling could go to MT, Ridder, Pickett, or Howell in no particular order. It's just a wild arse guess for everyone. Maybe you lean into the unknown draft picks a little more cause there's NFL tape on MT and we've seen more of his limitations at this level. But I'm still not 100% convinced any of the QBs in the draft end up better than MT. They absolutely could be, but I just have no way of knowing for sure and I really tend to lean into make the team around MT as good as possible and really give him a fair chance to see what you can get out of him.

NorthCoast
04-18-2022, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know how to create a poll in this forum?

Eich
04-19-2022, 08:17 AM
Does anyone know how to create a poll in this forum?

Click the button to Post a new Thread

Add your title and some info in the message

DON'T click on, "Submit New Thread" below the message, but Scroll to the bottom under, "Additional Options", and click the checkbox next to, "Create a Poll with this number of options".

Then click on, "Submit New Thread"

Then you should be prompted to add your poll options

NorthCoast
04-19-2022, 08:26 AM
Click the button to Post a new Thread

Add your title and some info in the message

DON'T click on, "Submit New Thread" below the message, but Scroll to the bottom under, "Additional Options", and click the checkbox next to, "Create a Poll with this number of options".

Then click on, "Submit New Thread"

Then you should be prompted to add your poll optionsthanks Eich!

NorthCoast
04-20-2022, 07:56 AM
A Bears fan retrospective on Trubisky....be prepared to be disappointed @14:10.

"Trubisky is a bust as a franchise quarterback".....

"Trubisky doesn't have the tools to be an elite quarterback".....

"...can't read a defense"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlbmdOJYdOQ

NorthCoast
04-20-2022, 07:58 AM
Now the sorta positive from a QB bust himself;

"...needs to keep doing what he is doing"

"...people forget he's a playoff quarterback"

"....he was in a similar situation as me when I was drafted"

"...it's not his fault the Chicago Bears thought more of him than maybe was warranted"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0lHTgp73s

feltdizz
04-20-2022, 08:18 AM

"...it's not his fault the Chicago Bears thought more of him than maybe was warranted"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0lHTgp73s

Ryan Leaf? Oh boy… lol

Eich
04-20-2022, 08:25 AM

Interesting video from a year ago. Suprised by how honest Leaf is about himself being a bust.

feltdizz
04-20-2022, 08:30 AM
Interesting video from a year ago. Suprised by how honest Leaf is about himself being a bust.

I think he would lose credibility if he wasn’t honest about his career

NorthCoast
04-20-2022, 08:43 AM
Interesting video from a year ago. Suprised by how honest Leaf is about himself being a bust.Yea, that kinda surprised me as well.... "when I busted in San Diego..." (maybe it took years of therapy for him to self-assess?)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-20-2022, 12:11 PM
I think it is easy to see that Trubisky has not lived up to his draft billing at this point. He admits that himself. What a team needs to look for is reason to believe that he can, and is more likely than not to improve.

*Was only a one year starter in college
*Obviously overdrafted and underprepared to be the young savior in a place like Chicago
*Was notably mismanaged as a Bear
*Highly lauded for his work and professionalism under Brian Daboll for one year

Some will find it excuse making but I see legitimate reasons why he has not reached success yet while also seeing the talent that made him a first round pick. If the team can unlock it then he may not become a top 5 QB in the conference but good enough to build around. If he doesn't succeed then move on, just like would have happened if you went into the season with Mason under center.

feltdizz
04-20-2022, 12:42 PM
I think it is easy to see that Trubisky has not lived up to his draft billing at this point. He admits that himself. What a team needs to look for is reason to believe that he can, and is more likely than not to improve.

*Obviously overdrafted and underprepared to be the young savior in a place like Chicago

Some will find it excuse making but I see legitimate reasons why he has not reached success yet while also seeing the talent that made him a first round pick. If the team can unlock it then he may not become a top 5 QB in the conference but good enough to build around. If he doesn't succeed then move on, just like would have happened if you went into the season with Mason under center.

I dont think I have seen anything that suggest Mitch was a first round talent.

But that’s okay.. lol.

I think he can be good enough to get us to the playoffs.

A Bears fan said since I clowned Mitch all those years in Chicago I will have to eat crow if he ends up panning out for us.

I don’t think he understands how this works. Getting Mitch on the cheap is way different than moving up to draft him 2nd overall.

I will happily “eat crow” if Mitch puts it all together.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-20-2022, 01:02 PM
I don’t think he understands how this works. Getting Mitch on the cheap is way different than moving up to draft him 2nd overall.

I will happily “eat crow” if Mitch puts it all together.

100%

Getting a player with pedigree on the cheap is a low-risk investment. Very similar to Miles Boykin and the late Dwayne Haskins.

feltdizz
04-20-2022, 01:06 PM
100%

Getting a player with pedigree on the cheap is a low-risk investment. Very similar to Miles Boykin and the late Dwayne Haskins.

Dude couldn’t grasp the concept and he used to work on Wall St.

Bears bought high
Steelers bought low

flippy
04-20-2022, 01:15 PM
Dude couldn’t grasp the concept and he used to work on Wall St.

Bears bought high
Steelers bought low

Depends on perspective. He probably thinks the Steelers are trying to catch a falling knife.

feltdizz
04-20-2022, 01:33 PM
Depends on perspective. He probably thinks the Steelers are trying to catch a falling knife.

even if so, its such a low number for a QB it won’t send us to the poor house if he continues to fall.

so its a butterknife.. lol

Captain Lemming
04-20-2022, 01:41 PM

Some will find it excuse making but I see legitimate reasons why he has not reached success yet while also seeing the talent that made him a first round pick. If the team can unlock it then he may not become a top 5 QB in the conference

As the consistent promoter of the positive-
I have great confidence he can absolutely be a top 5 QB... in the division. :)

flippy
04-20-2022, 01:50 PM

Way to go out on a limb. I'm assuming you have:

Burrow
Watson
LJ
Baker
Mitch

Some people probably have Huntley, MR, and Brissett ahead of Mitch too making him top 8 for sure.

NorthCoast
04-20-2022, 07:39 PM
I have great confidence he can absolutely be a top 5 QB... in the division. :)Gotta win the division first and foremost. We'll probably never again see a QB dominate the AFCN like Roethlisberger. But if we have one that can go 0.500 against them, then I think the postseason is reachable with a good defense.

NorthCoast
05-07-2022, 11:39 AM
Been looking for clues on the demise of Trubisky in CHI. I think I found something pretty damning. Although he was outstanding on 1st and 2nd down efficiency, he was terrible on 3rd down in his last season for the Bears. Would be tough to keep a starting job if you can't be above average on 3rd downs.

3rd DOWN EFFICIENCY

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52056548976_84001f70fa_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2nj4qou)Capture (https://flic.kr/p/2nj4qou) by R W (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/), on Flickr

1st+2nd DOWN EFFICIENCY

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52056549441_7e31ab5df1_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2nj4qwv)Capture1 (https://flic.kr/p/2nj4qwv) by R W (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/), on Flickr

Oviedo
05-07-2022, 02:00 PM

I'm with you. He will lead us to the playoffs...mark it down now

Ernie
05-07-2022, 06:14 PM

Weve got a good problem on our hands right now.. 2 young guys who are starting caliber QBs.. I can see Mitch resurrecting his career here.. while Pickett learns the ropes.

Northern_Blitz
05-07-2022, 06:25 PM

Hopefully we just bought the dip

flippy
05-08-2022, 07:28 AM
Hopefully we just bought the dip

Fair enough.

Like we bought the dip on Paxton Lynch, Haskins, Leftwich, Vick, and all the other 1st round QBs we like to scoop up to be our backups.

Realistically, how many of these failed 1st round QBs then go on and have success elsewhere? Which one of these guys has been redeveloped once they become a Steeler?

It's as much a long shot as college QBs being stars in the pros.

I'll root for them all and hope 1 of them pans out. Going into camp, there's 4 dogs fighting for 1 bone. Hope one of them does great. If it's not Pickett, we're probably in for a long season or 2.

WindyCitySteel
05-08-2022, 07:35 AM
Fair enough.

Like we bought the dip on Paxton Lynch, Haskins, Leftwich, Vick, and all the other 1st round QBs we like to scoop up to be our backups.

Realistically, how many of these failed 1st round QBs then go on and have success elsewhere? Which one of these guys has been redeveloped once they become a Steeler?

It's as much a long shot as college QBs being stars in the pros.

I'll root for them all and hope 1 of them pans out. Going into camp, there's 4 dogs fighting for 1 bone. Hope one of them does great. If it's not Pickett, we're probably in for a long season or 2.

Pretty much all of this. If Pickett is ready and not overwhelmed by the speed of the NFL, play him.

However a quick shout out to the guy whose number Pickett will wear - Tommy Gun was a shooting star for one season in Pittsburgh, but unfortunately he burned out quickly.

feltdizz
05-09-2022, 08:41 AM
Pretty much all of this. If Pickett is ready and not overwhelmed by the speed of the NFL, play him.

However a quick shout out to the guy whose number Pickett will wear - Tommy Gun was a shooting star for one season in Pittsburgh, but unfortunately he burned out quickly.

Maddox had his head taken off and wasn’t the same when he returned.

Steel Maniac
05-09-2022, 09:12 AM

Well see; hopefully your right.

Captain Lemming
05-09-2022, 09:19 AM

I don't think some of you understood what I was saying. I suggest you re-read what I said. You will see the sarcasm. :)

Hint... I am not near as optimistic as you are in the short term.:wink:

Nevertheless my friend, I do hope you are right and my feelings are unfounded.

feltdizz
05-09-2022, 11:10 AM
I don't think some of you understood what I was saying. I suggest you re-read what I said. You will see the sarcasm. :)

Hint... I am not near as optimistic as you are in the short term.:wink:

Nevertheless my friend, I do hope you are right and my feelings are unfounded.

lmao.. folks really are blindly following and didn’t read your post or understand it.

WindyCitySteel
05-11-2022, 07:34 AM
I see some are drinking the same Trubisky Kool-Aid my friends in Chicago drank for years, and are now only telling me that it was poisoned. Nagy gets too much blame, in fact, it was his offense that allowed MT to have any success.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-chicago-bears-are-right-to-move-on-from-mitchell-trubisky-but-nick-foles-cant-make-up-for-the-teams-defensive-deficiencies

feltdizz
05-11-2022, 08:38 AM
I see some are drinking the same Trubisky Kool-Aid my friends in Chicago drank for years, and are now only telling me that it was poisoned. Nagy gets too much blame, in fact, it was his offense that allowed MT to have any success.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-chicago-bears-are-right-to-move-on-from-mitchell-trubisky-but-nick-foles-cant-make-up-for-the-teams-defensive-deficiencies

People are hoping for a miracle.. lol. I tried to tell folks that 2018 Bears D was ranked the best defense of the decade by PFF.

Look, I would love to see Trubisky have a rebirth in Pittsburgh and be all the things the Bears thought he could be when they drafted him but I think the reality is Mitch will be the same guy most fans didn’t watch when he fell off in Chicago.

But hey, I guess there is nothing wrong with hoping Mitch jumped in Lake Erie and washed away his football sins while in Buffalo :p

Captain Lemming
05-11-2022, 02:15 PM
People are hoping for a miracle.. lol. I tried to tell folks that 2018 Bears D was ranked the best defense of the decade by PFF.
:p

Only because they hate the early Tomlin era Steelers more than the haters here. :)
2010 Steelers SMOKE 2018 Bears defense.

AND how the heck did they miss the legion of boom?
Broncos “no offense” championship team?

feltdizz
05-11-2022, 02:30 PM
Only because they hate the early Tomlin era Steelers more than the haters here. :)
2010 Steelers SMOKE 2018 Bears defense.

AND how the heck did they miss the legion of boom?
Broncos “no offense” championship team?

its probably all stats based.

Not really a fan of PFF but I did find info interesting when people say Mitch took that team to the playoffs.

hawaiiansteel
06-17-2022, 04:00 PM
Mitch Trubisky feels ‘fortunate’ to have landed with the Steelers

The Pittsburgh Steelers have options at quarterback, and it seems as if the front-runner would be none other than Mitch Trubisky.

By Jeff.Hartman
Jun 17, 2022

The Pittsburgh Steelers are in a unique situation heading into the 2022 regular season. With Ben Roethlisberger officially retired, the team now turns to a trio of options at the quarterback position.

Mitch Trubisky

Kenny Pickett

Mason Rudolph

Outside of Pickett, the team’s 20th overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Steelers have bolstered the positional depth with a lot of experience.

For Trubisky, who was considered a failed experiment with the Chicago Bears, a year backing up with the Buffalo Bills has the veteran quarterback looking forward to the future. When he does that, he is fortunate he landed where he did with the Steelers.

“I just feel very fortunate and lucky that I landed here in Pittsburgh,” said Trubisky at the close of minicamp. “I am happy to be here with these guys and this team, coaching staff and everyone…the city and the fans. I feel like I am in a very fortunate situation, and I am excited for the opportunity.

“A part of me wishes we were still going next week. We’ve got some time off, so we have to take care of our bodies and get ready for training camp. But it was a lot of fun, especially the last couple years when OTAs with Covid have looked different, being at home, being virtual. So being together, being able to build that chemistry and be around the guys and have fun on the field like that, it’s bittersweet it’s over. But I feel good about the work we put in so far.”

The Steelers have wrapped up all of their offseason workouts, and won’t come together again as a team until the team reports to Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, PA on July 26th. But that doesn’t mean the players won’t be meeting and continuing to work on their craft during the summer down time.

In fact, Trubisky is headed down to Florida to workout this offseason, and is expecting company. More specifically, he is going to be hosting the other quarterbacks in Florida to workout.

Kenny Pickett acknowledged the workouts before the team broke mandatory minicamp last week.

“We already talked about meeting up down there, training and hanging out,” said Pickett. “I definitely want to use those guys. They are great teammates as a resource and to help me learn. I can’t say enough great things about how they have been.”

If you are someone who looks at the Steelers as being different, a family environment, this should point to that still being true. Trubisky could give Pickett the Ryan Tannehill treatment and not be willing to help him. He could be the veteran who realizes the other quarterbacks are competition, and every advantage he can get is worthwhile.

Nonetheless, it seems Trubisky has bought into the team-first mentality the Steelers have called their own for decades now. He is confident in his own abilities, and isn’t about to be the guy who isn’t willing to help his teammates, even if they are competing for the same job.

Trubisky is fortunate to be with the Steelers, and all reports out of Pittsburgh this offseason is how the Steelers are fortunate to have Trubisky. Both for the experience, as well as the leadership qualities he exudes.

Regardless of who wins the quarterback job, it seems the position room is in good hands, something many questioned when Roethlisberger called it a career after 18 years.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2022/6/17/23170842/mitch-trubisky-feels-fortunate-to-have-landed-with-the-steelers-kenny-pickett-mason-rudolph-nfl-news