PDA

View Full Version : Effects of Haskins' tragic death

Oviedo
04-11-2022, 05:00 PM
The tragic and untimely death of Haskins may change the thinking as we sit a little over two weeks out from the draft.

I always thought that the team would be happy to sit with Trubisky, Rudolph and Haskins for 2022. If they took a QB, then I thought Rudolph would be trade bait. That all seems out the window after the unfortunate events of this past weekend.

I still don't want a 1st Round QB, but I think we have to believe that we will see a QB drafted (the default #3) and Rudolph is staying all season long as primary back up.

Northern_Blitz
04-11-2022, 05:26 PM
While I think his death is clearly a tragedy, I don't think it will have much impact on what the team does. And the value of him as a person or his life isn't measured in the impact on the football team IMO.

I think he was almost certainly going to be the 3rd QB. And my understanding is that the 3rd QB doesn't get much work during the regular season (outside of injuries).

I guess the potential difference would be if him and Mason were pretty close, then we could have tried to trade one for picks and rolled with Mitch, Mason / Haskins, Rookie? / Other Arm.

Chucktownsteeler
04-11-2022, 05:37 PM
This is a tragedy and I believe the class organization that the Steelers are this topic won't be breeched for a couple of weeks in respect to the Haskins family.

Also, Dobbs signed with the Browns so we lost (2) QBs within 48 hour timeframe. I look for a minimum (2) and perhaps even (3) QBs to be brought in via FA and/ or draft. Maybe they bring the Duck back for a camp arm. Who knows, we are in somewhat uncharted waters and this has undoubtedly shaken the organization and roster.

Prayers continue to the family.

Northern_Blitz
04-11-2022, 05:59 PM
The tragic and untimely death of Haskins may change the thinking as we sit a little over two weeks out from the draft.

I always thought that the team would be happy to sit with Trubisky, Rudolph and Haskins for 2022. If they took a QB, then I thought Rudolph would be trade bait. That all seems out the window after the unfortunate events of this past weekend.

I still don't want a 1st Round QB, but I think we have to believe that we will see a QB drafted (the default #3) and Rudolph is staying all season long as primary back up.

I'd rather pick cheap vets or a UDFA than use a mid round draft pick on a QB on a guy who has virtually no chance of being a starter. This is why I was against the Dobbs and Mason picks when they were made.

Those mid-round picks have a much higher chance of impacting the team if they aren't used on QBs IMO.

Iron City Inc.
04-11-2022, 06:08 PM
We may pick up a qb real late. Chances of either 7th rounder sticking are not good. Perhaps we take a shot with a Jack Coan very late in the draft. Notre Dame kid has a good arm and could be worth a flier. If not we'll grab someone as a f/a and at the very least grab a camp arm for Latrobe.
I'm still sick over this whole thing.

WindyCitySteel
04-11-2022, 06:31 PM
I honestly don't think he was going to make it out of camp. The Steelers are drafting a QB and I think Mason will back up Trubisky in 2022.

NorthCoast
04-11-2022, 07:50 PM
I honestly don't think he was going to make it out of camp. The Steelers are drafting a QB and I think Mason will back up Trubisky in 2022.

I agree. The Steelers will continue with their plan and pick up a QB in the draft or later.

Chucktownsteeler
04-11-2022, 08:09 PM
Still need to add at least (2). May even think about bringing the Duck back for a camp arm.

Maybe we scout the USFL.

Steel Maniac
04-11-2022, 08:55 PM
I'd rather pick cheap vets or a UDFA than use a mid round draft pick on a QB on a guy who has virtually no chance of being a starter. This is why I was against the Dobbs and Mason picks when they were made.

Those mid-round picks have a much higher chance of impacting the team if they aren't used on QBs IMO.

I agree. I think we make a move for a vet later in free agency and keep it moving.

hawaiiansteel
04-11-2022, 11:43 PM
I still don't want a 1st Round QB.

I don't necessarily want one either, but the way the Steelers have done their due diligence they sure have acted like they're prepared to pick one.

kindlecatsb'ng
04-12-2022, 06:15 AM
Mary Kay Cabot, in Cleveland, keeps propogating the information that the Steelers would "pounce" on getting Baker Mayfield if the Browns just released him. It was on a podcast from Cleveland.com.
I hope the Steelers do not make that move.

https://www.cleveland.com/orange-and-brown-talk-podcast/2022/04/could-the-browns-just-release-baker-mayfield-hey-mary-kay.html

flippy
04-12-2022, 06:35 AM
Mary Kay Cabot, in Cleveland, keeps propogating the information that the Steelers would "pounce" on getting Baker Mayfield if the Browns just released him. It was on a podcast from Cleveland.com.
I hope the Steelers do not make that move.

https://www.cleveland.com/orange-and-brown-talk-podcast/2022/04/could-the-browns-just-release-baker-mayfield-hey-mary-kay.html

If released, I'd jump on Baker. In the playoffs against us, I thought he looked phenomenal.

I really think he played injured in the last year and has unlimited upside. Not a fan of the small QBs, but I think he has "it" and if in the right place and used appropriately and healthy can have success. Cleveland should have been the perfect spot with the Oline and running game, but they really fudged him up worse than Chicago did Trubisky.

NorthCoast
04-12-2022, 07:27 AM
If released, I'd jump on Baker. In the playoffs against us, I thought he looked phenomenal.

I really think he played injured in the last year and has unlimited upside. Not a fan of the small QBs, but I think he has "it" and if in the right place and used appropriately and healthy can have success. Cleveland should have been the perfect spot with the Oline and running game, but they really fudged him up worse than Chicago did Trubisky.Have to disagree here flippy. It's not his game that is the problem, it's everything else. There was a great writeup I came across recently that described exactly why some teams won't pull the trigger on Mayfield. It boils down to this; Mayfield has a greater interest in his 'brand' than he does in being a team/franchise leader. The commercials, magazine covers, social media all scream of a guy that might not be centered on the team's interest but rather his own. Even in his losses, he tries to minimize his failings to protect his image. Several team execs point to that with hesitancy about signing him to franchise QB money. I'll post the writeup if I can find it.

flippy
04-12-2022, 07:42 AM
Have to disagree here flippy. It's not his game that is the problem, it's everything else. There was a great writeup I came across recently that described exactly why some teams won't pull the trigger on Mayfield. It boils down to this; Mayfield has a greater interest in his 'brand' than he does in being a team/franchise leader. The commercials, magazine covers, social media all scream of a guy that might not be centered on the team's interest but rather his own. Even in his losses, he tries to minimize his failings to protect his image. Several team execs point to that with hesitancy about signing him to franchise QB money. I'll post the writeup if I can find it.

I'm not doubting this is the issue. I've seen the commercials, but I don't really follow Baker beyond that. Have just seen him play a few times and have seen that he can be very effective sometimes while not others. Makes me think someone could help him channel the good?

Oviedo
04-12-2022, 08:20 AM

I really think he played injured in the last year and has unlimited upside. Not a fan of the small QBs, but I think he has "it" and if in the right place and used appropriately and healthy can have success. Cleveland should have been the perfect spot with the Oline and running game, but they really fudged him up worse than Chicago did Trubisky.

im torn…if we didn’t sign Trubisky I’d sign him

however we don’t need a QB controversy. They never work out and usually divide the team

i’ll stay with Trubisky. He lacks the ego and pouting of Mayfield

Chucktownsteeler
04-12-2022, 08:52 AM
If Baker were released and we weren’t on the hook for his salary I might give it a little thought.

However I still haven’t forgotten his antics and the flag at the ‘Shoe.

feltdizz
04-12-2022, 08:56 AM
Have to disagree here flippy. It's not his game that is the problem, it's everything else. There was a great writeup I came across recently that described exactly why some teams won't pull the trigger on Mayfield. It boils down to this; Mayfield has a greater interest in his 'brand' than he does in being a team/franchise leader. The commercials, magazine covers, social media all scream of a guy that might not be centered on the team's interest but rather his own. Even in his losses, he tries to minimize his failings to protect his image. Several team execs point to that with hesitancy about signing him to franchise QB money. I'll post the writeup if I can find it.

While I’m not a big Baker fan I don’t buy the whole “commercial, brand, image” angle.

QB’s get commercials. I seriously doubt he is so focused on commercials he can’t also focus on winning.

Its Cleveland.. lets be realistic. I think franchises know he eventually gets released so why trade for him.

As far as his play, I think he is another Kyler Murray. Same college system with big stats and Heisman statues but smallish for the NFL and they struggle once the “system requires them to make big plays at critical times”

I think one thing that Oklahoma QB’s have in common is bug game pressure usually burst pipes. You rarely see Sooner QB’s deliver when the game is on the line.

Northern_Blitz
04-12-2022, 10:49 AM

I'd imagine that the experience he just went through it pretty humbling.

If we could get him on a short-term, low-to-medium-money deal (like Mitch, or even a bit more), I'd do it.

We need a QB and taking low-risk, low-cost gambles like Lynch, Haskins, and Mitch is a good strategy IMO. I don't think Baker is any worse than Mitch is, so if the price was reasonable I'd do it.

Djfan
04-12-2022, 01:24 PM
I agree with this. One caveat - The Steelers have not really distinguished themselves as a team that develops players. Players on the Steelers can invest in their own development, but I haven't seen this be a strength of this team of late. We get who he (or anyone else) is when they come. Not much more.

Chucktownsteeler
04-12-2022, 01:54 PM
I agree with this. One caveat - The Steelers have not really distinguished themselves as a team that develops players. Players on the Steelers can invest in their own development, but I haven't seen this be a strength of this team of late. We get who he (or anyone else) is when they come. Not much more.

I think they do well with reclamations, if you will. Bettis, Farrior, Minkah, Alualu, Haden, etc. Sadly, we will never know with Haskins.

WindyCitySteel
04-12-2022, 02:13 PM
I think they do well with reclamations, if you will. Bettis, Farrior, Minkah, Alualu, Haden, etc. Sadly, we will never know with Haskins.

A lot of those guys had a lot more success prior to coming to Pittsburgh than Haskins did, though.

whisper
04-12-2022, 02:16 PM
I agree. The Steelers will continue with their plan and pick up a QB in the draft or later.

Unless all their visits and meetings are one goliath ruse (all of which happened before DH's passing) they are indeed taking a QB in the draft.

Northern_Blitz
04-12-2022, 02:31 PM

I'm not exactly sure this is true. I think some guys have blossomed on our team in the recent past.

Off the top of my head:
- Mike Hilton
- AV
- TJ was raw coming out of college and became awesome
- Zach Banner improved to win a starting job, but got derailed by injuries
- Alualu was cast off by his former team and became a valuable piece of our defense

I'm not sure if Chase goes on this list or not. He was very raw coming out of college and has become into a reasonably good #2 (by yards and TDs over the last 2 years) despite the fact that he's still pretty far away form the ceiling that we all want him to reach. His total yards in year 2 were about the same, but we all would have loved to see his TD numbers stay the same or go up.

Northern_Blitz
04-12-2022, 02:35 PM
A lot of those guys had a lot more success prior to coming to Pittsburgh, though.

?????

How many all-pros did Minkah have on the Dolphins? Zero. On the Steelers? Two. Edited to add: he did play 2 games with the Phins in the year with his 1st all-pro.

Alualu was given up on by his former squad. Came here and was a productive player.

Haden is probably about what he was in CLE. But they did give up on him.

Bettis was good at both places. I think his best years were with us. His rookie year with the Rams was very good, but his performance declined every year he was with them. I think he's a too old to really count in this conversation since he came to the team almost 20 years ago.

WindyCitySteel
04-12-2022, 02:41 PM
?????

How many all-pros did Minkah have on the Dolphins? Zero. On the Steelers? Two. Edited to add: he did play 2 games with the Phins in the year with his 1st all-pro.

Alualu was given up on by his former squad. Came here and was a productive player.

Haden is probably about what he was in CLE. But they did give up on him.

Bettis was good at both places. I think his best years were with us. His rookie year with the Rams was very good, but his performance declined every year he was with them. I think he's a too old to really count in this conversation since he came to the team almost 20 years ago.

Minkah only played one season in Miami and wasn't considered a bust. There's a reason he fetched a first round pick and Haskins was claimed off the street.

Nobody on that list was considered a bust/reclamation project like Haskins was.

EDIT: In my OP I meant they had more success pre-Pittsburgh than Haskins. I subsequently edited my poor wording.

Northern_Blitz
04-12-2022, 02:59 PM
Minkah only played one season in Miami and wasn't considered a bust. There's a reason he fetched a first round pick and Haskins was claimed off the street.

Nobody on that list was considered a bust/reclamation project like Haskins was.

EDIT: In my OP I meant they had more success pre-Pittsburgh than Haskins. I subsequently edited my poor wording.

This makes sense to me now. Thanks for the clarification.

Starlifter
04-13-2022, 07:30 AM
There will be at least one if not two more QB's in camp this year. No way the Steelers just go with Mitchell and Mason.

I don't know if DH would have been cut, it's entirely possible he made progress last year none of us saw. He certainly had the raw talent to be a successful NFL quarterback. Just an unbelievable tragedy his journey ended so young.

As for Baker, if Trubisky wasn't in the picture - I'm sure the Steelers would be looking. But I don't see him as a slam dunk upgrade over Mitchell in terms of skill and performance, and he clearly has some baggage that would be brought to the table. Now, let's not overlook that Cleveland has a long and rich tradition of destroying QB's - so it wouldn't be that far fetched to give Baker the benefit of the doubt and take a chance. He's still young and if the surgery fixed his shoulder, I believe there is a lot of upside.......if the price is right.

But I just don't see the Steelers turning Latrobe into a QB controversy with not one but TWO first round QB reclamation projects.

NorthCoast
04-13-2022, 07:54 AM
I'm not exactly sure this is true. I think some guys have blossomed on our team in the recent past.

Off the top of my head:
- Mike Hilton
- AV
- TJ was raw coming out of college and became awesome
- Zach Banner improved to win a starting job, but got derailed by injuries
- Alualu was cast off by his former team and became a valuable piece of our defense

I'm not sure if Chase goes on this list or not. He was very raw coming out of college and has become into a reasonably good #2 (by yards and TDs over the last 2 years) despite the fact that he's still pretty far away form the ceiling that we all want him to reach. His total yards in year 2 were about the same, but we all would have loved to see his TD numbers stay the same or go up.Don't forget Ryan Clark who along with TroyP made the secondary what it was. And Jeff Hartings moving to center from DET as a RG was an anchor on the line. But the reality is the Steelers typically built their teams through the draft. Only once in a while would they dip into FA for a starter.

Northern_Blitz
04-13-2022, 09:05 AM
Don't forget Ryan Clark who along with TroyP made the secondary what it was. And Jeff Hartings moving to center from DET as a RG was an anchor on the line. But the reality is the Steelers typically built their teams through the draft. Only once in a while would they dip into FA for a starter.

Good examples.

I think the last point is important. The UFAs we usually get are guys in the bargain bin / off the scrap heap. So when they work out, it's because we developed them or at least put them in a better position to succeed.

WindyCitySteel
04-13-2022, 09:08 AM
Don't forget Ryan Clark who along with TroyP made the secondary what it was. And Jeff Hartings moving to center from DET as a RG was an anchor on the line. But the reality is the Steelers typically built their teams through the draft. Only once in a while would they dip into FA for a starter.

Ryan Clark and Jeff Hartings were established players, not busts or castoffs.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-13-2022, 12:50 PM
I think there will be some pretty serious effects but I don't think that replacing the #3 QB is one of them.

My biggest concern for the team are how his teammates respond, especially those who were down with him. We saw it recently when WR coach Darryl Drake passed just prior to the 2019 season during TC in Latrobe. We rarely account for the human reaction by athletes but we have seen it in 2019 and last season with Tuitt. It is possible that these guys band together on a sort of "win it for Dwayne" mantra. It is also possible that the young kids like Claypool (who we have seen react) and some of his close friends just break down due to the stress. We will have to see, but hope for the best.

Northern_Blitz
04-13-2022, 02:51 PM
I think there will be some pretty serious effects but I don't think that replacing the #3 QB is one of them.

My biggest concern for the team are how his teammates respond, especially those who were down with him. We saw it recently when WR coach Darryl Drake passed just prior to the 2019 season during TC in Latrobe. We rarely account for the human reaction by athletes but we have seen it in 2019 and last season with Tuitt. It is possible that these guys band together on a sort of "win it for Dwayne" mantra. It is also possible that the young kids like Claypool (who we have seen react) and some of his close friends just break down due to the stress. We will have to see, but hope for the best.

This is a great point IMO.

Oviedo
04-13-2022, 03:15 PM

Time will tell. They'll either get stronger or they will become distracted and unfocused and this will linger . That is where leadership will become important in setting the tone and maintaining it.

Prowler
04-13-2022, 04:02 PM
Th effects of Haskin's death will be nothing but positive on the team in the long run. I've always been of the opinion, teams don't need players like Haskins who are lazy, have a poor work ethic and have off the field issues.

It's bad enough we have low IQ Claypool on the roster and his bad attitude. Having Chase around Haskins would eventually create a locker room cancer. Now all we have to worry about is keeping Minkah away from Claypool.

Steeler Mafia
04-13-2022, 04:12 PM
https://pureresiduals.com/wp-content/uploads/Social-Media-Trolls-SM.jpg

flippy
04-13-2022, 05:03 PM
Time will tell. They'll either get stronger or they will become distracted and unfocused and this will linger . That is where leadership will become important in setting the tone and maintaining it.

I think they'll be able to move forward and make it a positive given that we're still a long way off from the season.

If the season was starting next week, it would be a different story but we've got 1/2 year to heal. I know even that isn't a lot of time from experience, but I do think it will make a big difference.

Prowler
04-13-2022, 07:00 PM

For God's sake just stop. Stop babying these football players. This is what is wrong with society these days. We've turned men into wimps. Tragedy happens every single day. By all means mourn but grow a pair and move on to be a strong, stable, productive adults. Otherwise, you may as well trade the nutjobs on the team that can't produce because their friend died 6 months earlier. Gotta get tough on these players, or you end up with a Tuitt situation all over again. How did that go?