PDA

View Full Version : Are you pro trading up?

steeler_george
04-11-2022, 06:14 AM
If we are squeezed out of the top QB market, would you be for trading up for a talent that might be obtainable?
I prefer trade back, but would be interesting if we are agressive.

1st round trade ups
Hamilton?

Wilson?

Davis?

2nd round trade ups
Ridder?
Jones?
Muma?
Brisker?
Cine?

In the first I would definitely trade up for either of the two.
In the 2nd I would for Ridder and one of those Safeties.

Who else would you like to trade up for?

Iron City Inc.
04-11-2022, 06:26 PM
We are so limited in draft capital , Tomlin n Colbert have not done well at that aspect, I do not see how we move up in the1st. Could we make a move up in the 2nd it is more likely.
Cine is such an impressive player. Can play high, box, walk out and take on slots and big enough to cover te's. His tape is excellent. He's a real good tackler. I do not see him even getting out of the 1st round. He tested off the charts as well. I believe he's a first round talent. If you want to see a great collision check out his
hit on Kyle Pitts.
Safeties like rb's are not sexy picks but we have a need and this guy has done it at a high level.

WindyCitySteel
04-11-2022, 06:29 PM
BPA at 1.20, trade back up for Ridder at 1.32 or 2.34 if the Lions are willing and he's available.

Bawb the Revelator
04-11-2022, 06:47 PM
If any move at all, trade down :) Oooops! You wrote what I wrote before I wrote! My bad! Gotta pay attention! :)

Chucktownsteeler
04-11-2022, 08:07 PM
No, we need all the draft capitol we have and then some. At a minimum we need help at WR, S, DL. Need to add depth at RB, QB, and OT,

I always prefer quality over quantity but if there ever was a year to trade back for extra picks this would be it. Yea

Steel Maniac
04-11-2022, 08:57 PM
No, we need all the draft capitol we have and then some. At a minimum we need help at WR, S, DL. Need to add depth at RB, QB, and OT,

I always prefer quality over quantity but if there ever was a year to trade back for extra picks this would be it. Yea

Exactly. I doubt weather we move up or down but this is the year to trade down.

Buzz
04-11-2022, 10:36 PM
Trade down if anything (to get more picks), not up

flippy
04-12-2022, 06:49 AM
I'd trade up for a Willis, Stingley, or Hamilton if we can get a guy that we believe in.

Not endorsing any of them, but I'd understand all 3.

I'd also be cool with trading up in the 2nd if Wyatt, Cine, Ridder, Dotson drop and we believe in them.

I think there's always a couple guys we could make the case for trading up in any draft.

Last year, Parson and Farley would have been the guys in the 1st round that I would have considered going up to get. One worked out, the other????

WindyCitySteel
04-12-2022, 07:50 AM
I'd trade up for a Willis, Stingley, or Hamilton if we can get a guy that we believe in.

Hamilton would transform this defense. Tired of getting shredded by TEs? That's over. Also insane range in 2-high. Remember all those plays where Edmunds was just a tick late? Again, over.

flippy
04-12-2022, 07:56 AM
Hamilton would transform this defense. Tired of getting shredded by TEs? That's over. Also insane range in 2-high. Remember all those plays where Edmunds was just a tick late? Again, over.

I know Haden has said he wouldn’t move to S, but I think you could get a top CB and move Haden or Sutton over to S and see a huge upgrade at the position.

I even think both of those guys could be better than Honey Badger and would have elite cover skills and play making at the S position.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-12-2022, 01:03 PM
Willis, Pickett, Corral, Ridder - While we know they won't all make it to 1.20, if any of them do, they will select him and NOT trade down. I think that's where the line is, in that order.

If all 4 are gone, all bets are off, but I'm hoping it isn't Howell. I'd definitely trade back...

Northern_Blitz
04-12-2022, 01:11 PM
I know Haden has said he wouldn’t move to S, but I think you could get a top CB and move Haden or Sutton over to S and see a huge upgrade at the position.

I even think both of those guys could be better than Honey Badger and would have elite cover skills and play making at the S position.

I think this might work if we were looking for a FS. I think CB would be better in that role playing passes deep.

But I think we need a S that's going to be down in the box a lot. And while Haden is physical, I'm not sure that's something that he'd be looking to do at this point in his career.

WindyCitySteel
04-12-2022, 02:47 PM
Willis, Pickett, Corral, Ridder - While we know they won't all make it to 1.20, if any of them do, they will select him and NOT trade down. I think that's where the line is, in that order.

If all 4 are gone, all bets are off, but I'm hoping it isn't Howell. I'd definitely trade back...

Supposedly Tomlin is a Willis stan, and Colbert is a Howell stan, and Howell is the youngest of the group. Pickett will be 24 when the season starts, Ridder 23. Steelers like underclassmen in round 1, especially assuming they are going to redshirt whoever it is for a season.

Ranked by age, youngest to oldest: Howell, Willis, Corral, Ridder, Pickett

Carson Strong would slot in just after Howell if you want to consider him.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-12-2022, 04:20 PM
Supposedly Tomlin is a Willis stan, and Colbert is a Howell stan, and Howell is the youngest of the group. Pickett will be 24 when the season starts, Ridder 23. Steelers like underclassmen in round 1, especially assuming they are going to redshirt whoever it is for a season.

Ranked by age, youngest to oldest: Howell, Willis, Corral, Ridder, Pickett

Carson Strong would slot in just after Howell if you want to consider him.
I wouldn't be opposed to having Howell on the team... I just think there's better value at 1.20

Of course, some of football success is just marrying the right player to the right system. It's why the Jets didn't re-sign Farrior, who went on to be a stud for the Steelers. Or Minkah's difference with the team... Or Darren Waller (from the Ravens)... you get the point

Basically, between team/system/player, who knows? Howell may be the best fit

flippy
04-12-2022, 04:50 PM
I think this might work if we were looking for a FS. I think CB would be better in that role playing passes deep.

But I think we need a S that's going to be down in the box a lot. And while Haden is physical, I'm not sure that's something that he'd be looking to do at this point in his career.

I agree that we'd likely want a more traditional SS, but I think there's more value in having 2 Ss that can cover and can be used more interchangeably on the backend to help disguise coverages which can really help the pass rush.

whisper
04-12-2022, 05:17 PM

I'd also be cool with trading up in the 2nd if Wyatt, Cine, Ridder, Dotson drop and we believe in them.

I think there's always a couple guys we could make the case for trading up in any draft.

Last year, Parson and Farley would have been the guys in the 1st round that I would have considered going up to get. One worked out, the other????

Parson on this D? Forgetaboutit

Oviedo
04-12-2022, 06:48 PM
No to trading up...need our picks this year. I would trade back in Round 1 because IMO the positiosn we need can be had 5-7 picks later. I don't think we need a QB...this year!

Joel Buchsbaum
04-13-2022, 08:24 AM

No trade ups, trade down.

feltdizz
04-13-2022, 11:29 AM

Haden isn’t moving to safety and if he did I would be concerned about his ability to tackle consistently.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-13-2022, 12:57 PM
The team still has a bunch of holes and question marks. Trading up ensures that you address at least one fewer this season.

steeler_george
04-17-2022, 06:52 AM
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/steelers-trade-up-rumor-w-vikings-for-12th-pick-kyle/id1140522532?i=1000557671054

Chris Carter's podcast, "Locked on Steelers", if you don't know him he is a pretty good analysis of Steeler and Pitt for DKpittsbughsports.

Says there is some rumors that the foundation has been laid for us to trade up with the Giants (#7) and MInny ( #12).
possible option mentioned:
*Hamilton S- fills need, maybe best player in draft, when his 5 years exprire Fitz would be 30.
*Davis DL- fills need, beast upgrades the DL depth and future, eats people upgrades our ILB automatically, may free up Watt and Cam even more
*Sauce CB- an elite shut down CB1, will make D elite.
*Stingly CB
*Cross OT- imagine Najee running behind a superb OL. Improves team 100% both on O and D.

I would love any of these moves, especially if we are able to trade back our 2.52 for an early 3rd and 4th. ( there still is going to be talent especially at WR, ILB)
And if we don't go for Hamilton, we sign/resign Edmunds/Honeybadger.

Iron City Inc.
04-17-2022, 07:28 AM
No to trading up...need our picks this year. I would trade back in Round 1 because IMO the positiosn we need can be had 5-7 picks later. I don't think we need a QB...this year!

I agree 100%. Someone unexpected may fall to 20 but if they come off clean I do not see much of a difference between the player you get at 20 and the player you get a half dozen picks later. Not normal for us but a bunch of teams behind us want wr's (Dallas , GB and KC) so it may be in our best interest to trade back in the 1st.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-17-2022, 08:41 AM
Trade down if anything (to get more picks), not up

I agree. If trading out of round one give us a high 2nd and 3rd round, and 5th round pick and next year's 3rd we should do it. Say pick #20 for pick #34, #68
and #156 and next years 3rd round pick. That is picking up draft capital.

NJ-STEELER
04-17-2022, 02:55 PM
Wasn t that said when we acquired fitz. When we drafted edmunds?
when we drafted bush ?

Joel Buchsbaum
04-17-2022, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to having Howell on the team... I just think there's better value at 1.20

Of course, some of football success is just marrying the right player to the right system. It's why the Jets didn't re-sign Farrior, who went on to be a stud for the Steelers. Or Minkah's difference with the team... Or Darren Waller (from the Ravens)... you get the point

Basically, between team/system/player, who knows? Howell may be the best fit

The trouble is you seldom get value at quarterback. They tend to go 5-20 spots before there " value " and most of them end up being disappointments to busts. But they are key to winning. If you don't have one of the elietes and young pros with potential to be " elite " which is about 20 teams you reach for them.

I like Corral. I have a hunch a few teams that pick before like his ability level / performance is very good and he did it the SEC on a non powerfull SEC team for two seasons. Not a one year wonder type. The SEC is twice as good as the Big 12/ Pack 12, three times as good as the Big East, and far greater that what ever divsion Liberty was in and the non power 5 conferences. I don't get his lack of hype from the media.

Northern_Blitz
04-17-2022, 09:25 PM
I agree. If trading out of round one give us a high 2nd and 3rd round, and 5th round pick and next year's 3rd we should do it. Say pick #20 for pick #34, #68
and #156 and next years 3rd round pick. That is picking up draft capital.

I'd be ok with this, but I think the team values the 5th round option highly and wouldn't trade out of the 1st.

flippy
04-17-2022, 10:18 PM
I think there’s a couple guys that can be game changers and one of them is going to be available at 20.

I keep changing my mind, but I think the guys I’d want the most are Stingley, Hill, Dotson, Davis, and Wyatt.

I suspect if we don’t go for a QB, we’re looking hard at improving the D. I really see either Stingley (less likely available) or Hill being the 2 guys that can transform our D.

I know most like other WRs, but I think Dotson is the WR that just has it and can transform the O.

If those guys aren’t available and we don’t like one of the other CBs, then I think getting a top DT/DE is important for the long term. I’d rather see us improve the backend, but this is an area that needs a major upgrade.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-19-2022, 02:44 PM
I'm surprised so many people are against trading up...

IMO, it depends on 1) how well the player fills a team need and 2) how much draft capital will it cost?

Honestly, assessing the team, they've done a decent job of filling holes
Offense
QB - many of you don't want one.
RB - if you want one, it's a day 3 guy
WR - Diontae, Chase, A. Miller (who had decent years with Mitch), Gunner O (replaced Ray Ray). You actually only need 1, who can be grabbed on Day 2 (or in free agency)
TE - Muth, Gentry, Rader - wouldn't mind a smallish pass-catcher to replace Ebron, but can be had on Day 2-3
OL - *we* want upgrades here, but the team may not after getting Cole, Daniels and re-signing Chuks.. Green, Leglue, Hauss and Haeg are backups. It could still be better, but it aint terrible.

Defense
D-Line - Heyward, Alualu, Tuitt; if Tuitt comes back, this is a solid, but old unit that might an injection of youth; I could see a trade up for this
ILB - Jack, Bush, Spillane, Buddy, Gilbert, Allen; not exciting, but depth can be found on day 2-3
OLB - TJ, Highsmith, Tusca, Avery. I'm not terribly excited about depth here, but starters are too good to consider on day 1
CB - Wallace, Witherspoon, Sutton, Layne; missing the days of Haden/Nelson, so CB is possible on day 1, but not for trade up
S - Minkah, Killebrew, Norwood, Joseph - of all things, a legit SS is a huge need here, especially if Edmunds isn't re-signed. I could see a trade up for this

I hadn't really looked at the positions hard, until just then.
Offensively, QB/WR are the only likely selections before day 3.
Defensively, I could see SS, DE, NT, CB all as 1st round possibilities, with a heavier slant toward S than I've let myself believe.

There's a reason they haven't signed Edmunds. So, brace yourselves... Hamilton's poor workouts may drop him enough that his size / coverage ability is too much too overlook. If a guy (at a position of need) that was considered top 5 based on his abilities in pads falls to say 12 based on his abilities while not in pads, ya just might have to do it.

*edit: I'm pretty sure this is going in my mocks... he's too special a player

WindyCitySteel
04-19-2022, 02:52 PM
Wasn t that said when we acquired fitz. When we drafted edmunds?
when we drafted bush ?

No, it wasn't.

WindyCitySteel
04-19-2022, 02:54 PM
I like Corral. I have a hunch a few teams that pick before like his ability level / performance is very good and he did it the SEC on a non powerfull SEC team for two seasons. Not a one year wonder type. The SEC is twice as good as the Big 12/ Pack 12, three times as good as the Big East, and far greater that what ever divsion Liberty was in and the non power 5 conferences. I don't get his lack of hype from the media.

Well, he's one of only two QBs attending the first round in person, so it seems word is out that he's going before a lot of the guys being hyped ahead of him.

Not for nothing, a couple weeks ago Colbert talked about accuracy being the most important trait. Corral is maybe the most accurate QB in the draft, along with Strong. I'd be good with Corral at 1.20.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-19-2022, 03:20 PM
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/steelers-trade-up-rumor-w-vikings-for-12th-pick-kyle/id1140522532?i=1000557671054

Chris Carter's podcast, "Locked on Steelers", if you don't know him he is a pretty good analysis of Steeler and Pitt for DKpittsbughsports.

Says there is some rumors that the foundation has been laid for us to trade up with the Giants (#7) and MInny ( #12).
possible option mentioned:
*Hamilton S- fills need, maybe best player in draft, when his 5 years exprire Fitz would be 30.
*Davis DL- fills need, beast upgrades the DL depth and future, eats people upgrades our ILB automatically, may free up Watt and Cam even more
*Sauce CB- an elite shut down CB1, will make D elite.
*Stingly CB
*Cross OT- imagine Najee running behind a superb OL. Improves team 100% both on O and D.

I would love any of these moves, especially if we are able to trade back our 2.52 for an early 3rd and 4th. ( there still is going to be talent especially at WR, ILB)
And if we don't go for Hamilton, we sign/resign Edmunds/Honeybadger.
Just listened enough to get it... He's saying this year's 3rd and next year's 3rd would cover the move up to 12... that aint bad if it's THE guy

SteelerOfDeVille
04-19-2022, 03:36 PM
with this, i actually agree...