PDA

View Full Version : Report: Steelers Close to Making Minkah Fitzpatrick Highest-Paid Safety

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2022, 09:36 PM
Report: Steelers Close to Making Minkah Fitzpatrick Highest-Paid Safety

The Pittsburgh Steelers are about to ink another record-breaking defensive contract.

by NOAH STRACKBEIN

The Pittsburgh Steelers are closing in on a contract extension with safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, making him the highest-paid safety in the NFL, according to NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala.

Kinkhabwala was a guest on 93.7 The Fan when she reported the Steelers are "close" on an extension and she expects it to be record-breaking.

The Seattle Seahawks made Jamal Adams the highest-paid safety in the NFL in 2021. The deal was a four-year contract worth $70 million with $38 million in guarantees and a $21 million signing bonus.

Fitzpatrick, 25, is only four seasons into his NFL career and has already been name a two-time All-Pro and Pro Bowler. Last season, he had 124 tackles and two interceptions.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/pittsburgh-steelers-close-minkah-fitzpatrick-highest-paid-safety

SidSmythe
04-05-2022, 07:38 AM
He's worth every penny considering Jamal Adams is vastly overrated in many aspects of his game.

Oviedo
04-05-2022, 07:40 AM
Team needs to sign him. He is just entering his prime.

WindyCitySteel
04-05-2022, 07:58 AM
Will this free up 2022 cap space? Still could restructure Watt and free up to $17M. This team doesn't have to be done improving.

NorthCoast
04-05-2022, 08:04 AM
He's worth every penny considering Jamal Adams is vastly overrated in many aspects of his game.And that's the problem. Seattle overpaid a guy that wasn't nearly the player that Fitz is so now the Steelers have to break the bank to keep him.

Northern_Blitz
04-05-2022, 11:01 AM
I think he'll end up the highest paid S when he signs.

But I find it hard to believe that it will happen before camp.

I also think that this reporter hadn't been shown to be all that reliable with "insider" information in the past.

Seems like most big money contracts get negotiated up to the deadline with both sides seeking the leverage that a deadline gives them.

whisper
04-05-2022, 11:04 AM
I think he'll end up the highest paid S when he signs.

But I find it hard to believe that it will happen before camp.

Seems like most big money contracts get negotiated up to the deadline with both sides seeking the leverage that a deadline gives them.

His #s dipped last year; only 2 ints. Worrisome to make him highest paid S.

Northern_Blitz
04-05-2022, 11:15 AM
His #s dipped last year; only 2 ints. Worrisome to make him highest paid S.

Seems like this is likely because we had him playing too close to the line because we couldn't tackle.

I think last year is a great argument for why we want Minkah to be a pure FS and not some kind of hybrid like they wanted him to be in Miami.

He's been a 1st team all-pro in 2 of his 4 years in the league and 2 of his 3 years with Pittsburgh.

Our choices are likely something like: (i) make him the highest paid S now, (ii) let him play out his option (and maybe a tag or two) and then make him the highest paid S when the price is driven up by cap inflation, or (iii) let him play out his option (and maybe a tag or two) and then let him walk and get the comp pick.

I get that optimism about the team isn't your thing, but I think Minkah is a pretty good bet.

WindyCitySteel
04-05-2022, 11:17 AM
His PFF grade was near 80 in 2019/20, dipped to under 60 last year. Hope it's because he had to play the run so much.

Northern_Blitz
04-05-2022, 11:37 AM
His PFF grade was near 80 in 2019/20, dipped to under 60 last year. Hope it's because he had to play the run so much.

Me too.

The timing here kind of sucks because we have to make a decision now (or maybe put off 1 year if we're willing to tag him next season. Maybe S isn't a bad position to use a tag on because it's relatively low cost...

It does seem like the fact that he had to make so many tackles would imapact how he played the pass.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-05-2022, 11:39 AM
Will this free up 2022 cap space? Still could restructure Watt and free up to $17M. This team doesn't have to be done improving.

Using very basic numbers:

Minkah is scheduled to count just over $10M this season. Let's use the Adams numbers of 4 yrs/$70M and assume that the deal is expected to go to full term so no playing games with numbers, and remember that the Steelers like to structure their contracts without big future guarantees, except the did it for Watt. Will they do that again for Minkah?

If his 2022 hit is still $10M, the average hit afterwards is $20M for three years and you really don't want a safety at crazy numbers. So, something like 4 years, $16M SB, first year salary vet min (around $1M) for a $5M hit, after that

2023 roster bonus $7M guaranteed, Salary $9M, cap hit $20M
2024 roster bonus $7M guaranteed, salary $11M, cap hit $22M
2025 roster bonus $7M guaranteed, salary $12M, cap hit $23M

In total: 4 years, $70M, $38M guaranteed, lower hit by $5M on 2022 cap.

flippy
04-05-2022, 12:11 PM

He actually became a much better tackler by year end.

I think there's going to be a net benefit in this last year for Minkah. He's going to be a better all around S as a result.

Northern_Blitz
04-05-2022, 12:44 PM
Using very basic numbers:

Minkah is scheduled to count just over $10M this season. Let's use the Adams numbers of 4 yrs/$70M and assume that the deal is expected to go to full term so no playing games with numbers, and remember that the Steelers like to structure their contracts without big future guarantees, except the did it for Watt. Will they do that again for Minkah?

If his 2022 hit is still $10M, the average hit afterwards is $20M for three years and you really don't want a safety at crazy numbers. So, something like 4 years, $16M SB, first year salary vet min (around $1M) for a $5M hit, after that

2023 roster bonus $7M guaranteed, Salary $9M, cap hit $20M
2024 roster bonus $7M guaranteed, salary $11M, cap hit $22M
2025 roster bonus $7M guaranteed, salary $12M, cap hit $23M

In total: 4 years, $70M, $38M guaranteed, lower hit by $5M on 2022 cap.

For reference, TJ's contract:

Year 1: ~ $8M cap hit (about the same as 5th year option)
Year 2: $31.1M cap hit (no roster bonuses throughout, but salary guaranteed in years 1 - 3).
Years 3 - 5: cap hit pretty consistent between $27.1M, $28.1M, $28.1M.

Note that there are 5 years but it was a 4 year extension (because he was already under contract in year 1: 5th year option year).

It will be interesting to see if / how much they guarantee Minkah's salary. If no guarantees, then I think you're right that he'd get big roster bonuses and more money early. If guarantees like Watt, no roster bonuses and maybe a more consistent / less back diving?

Northern_Blitz
04-05-2022, 12:46 PM

I think there's going to be a net benefit in this last year for Minkah. He's going to be a better all around S as a result.

Hopefully the fact that he can now tackle better is more academic and he gets more opportunities to play the pass, because that's the thing that makes him a special player.

But we have to play better defense in front of him. Allow him to feel comfortable that he won't have to make so many TD saving tackles so he can focus more on making splash plays (assuming that was the issue).

flippy
04-05-2022, 01:39 PM
Hopefully the fact that he can now tackle better is more academic and he gets more opportunities to play the pass, because that's the thing that makes him a special player.

But we have to play better defense in front of him. Allow him to feel comfortable that he won't have to make so many TD saving tackles so he can focus more on making splash plays (assuming that was the issue).

I agree I want him used more in coverage vs in the box.

But since he’s now a pretty fundamentally sound tackler, I think you can move him around a bit more and if you pair him with another S who can cover, Minkah + new guy can be way better than Minkah + Edmunds who is not going to make plays on balls for you.

SteelBucks
04-05-2022, 09:23 PM
Some are saying the deal will be north of $75M. We need to keep this guy in Pittsburgh so do what is needed.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-06-2022, 11:27 AM
Some are saying the deal will be north of $75M. We need to keep this guy in Pittsburgh so do what is needed.

As much as it is easy to say "do whatever you have to do to keep him in Pittsburgh", there are limits to how far you should go, and the Steelers are a team that usually draws that line.

WindyCitySteel
04-06-2022, 01:11 PM
Dulac reporting that the Steelers haven't even talked to Minkah yet about an extension. Aditi strikes again. :wft

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/1511706029343580166

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-06-2022, 03:27 PM
Dulac reporting that the Steelers haven't even talked to Minkah yet about an extension. Aditi strikes again. :wft

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/1511706029343580166

Or Dulac strikes again. Should be pretty soon before we can guess who was wrong.

Oviedo
04-06-2022, 03:58 PM

I think everyone forgets that Minkah is just 25 and entering his 6th year in the NFL. He is a baby and is just entering his Prime. Baring injury he is going to get better at everything

WindyCitySteel
04-06-2022, 04:49 PM
Or Dulac strikes again. Should be pretty soon before we can guess who was wrong.

The SteelersDepot guys expect it to go like Watt's deal did last year, Steelers will be in no hurry to write a check.

NorthCoast
04-07-2022, 07:27 AM
The SteelersDepot guys expect it to go like Watt's deal did last year, Steelers will be in no hurry to write a check.Kinda like me and my check to the IRS. I'll write it at 11:59PM on April 15th.:)

Chucktownsteeler
04-08-2022, 01:44 PM
Any time Abititi reports anything I take it with a grain of salt.

hawaiiansteel
06-08-2022, 04:15 PM
The SteelersDepot guys expect it to go like Watt's deal did last year, Steelers will be in no hurry to write a check.

spot on Windy, good call...

Joe Rutter
@tribjoerutter

As he said he would, WR Diontae Johnson practiced Tuesday at minicamp. S Minkah Fitzpatrick, who also is seeking new contract, was an on-field bystander during team portions. Asked how he'll handle Fitzpatrick's usage, coach Mike Tomlin said, "We'll play it by ear."

Jun 7, 2022

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/06/fitzpatrick-holdin-underway-reportedly-an-on-field-bystander-during-team-portion-to-start-minicamp/

NorthCoast
06-09-2022, 01:42 PM
spot on Windy, good call...

Joe Rutter
@tribjoerutter

As he said he would, WR Diontae Johnson practiced Tuesday at minicamp. S Minkah Fitzpatrick, who also is seeking new contract, was an on-field bystander during team portions. Asked how he'll handle Fitzpatrick's usage, coach Mike Tomlin said, "We'll play it by ear."

Jun 7, 2022

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/06/fitzpatrick-holdin-underway-reportedly-an-on-field-bystander-during-team-portion-to-start-minicamp/

OT: Rams inked Kupp to a new contract. So now they got Donald and Kupp for over a $100M each. They must have one hell of a cap guru.

WindyCitySteel
06-09-2022, 02:58 PM
Do we really need two more guys battling soft tissue injuries in September?