PDA

View Full Version : On QB hand size

WindyCitySteel
04-02-2022, 04:00 PM
Found this after watching some Pickett highlights this morning. Somewhat telling that one of the biggest believers in QB hand size was the Michael Scott of coaches, Hue Jackson.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/story/_/id/28770715/why-nfl-combine-built-myth-qb-hand-size-measurement-mean-anything

WindyCitySteel
04-05-2022, 04:12 PM
You know one thing I'm seeing in a lot of these QBs is short arms. Is that typical? I guess it would make for a more compact throwing motion.

Howell: 30 3/4"
Corral: 30 3/4"
Pickett: 30 7/8"
Willis: 31 3/4"
Strong: 32"
Ridder: 32 3/4"

By contrast, Mahomes and Allen are 33 1/4". Pickett's a damn T-Rex.

Steel Maniac
04-05-2022, 04:27 PM
A T-Rex!!! Hahahahahaha. Don’t be so hard on the young man.

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2022, 04:33 PM
You know one thing I'm seeing in a lot of these QBs is short arms.

Pickett's a damn T-Rex.

maybe we can move Kendrick Green to QB. :p

Chucktownsteeler
04-08-2022, 01:26 PM
maybe we can move Kendrick Green to QB. :p

Well, he didn't make it at center.

WindyCitySteel
04-08-2022, 02:45 PM
Move Kendrick to NT, he's always in the offensive backfield.

WindyCitySteel
05-01-2022, 04:30 PM
Bump...this article dispels the hand size myth.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-01-2022, 05:41 PM
You know one thing I'm seeing in a lot of these QBs is short arms. Is that typical? I guess it would make for a more compact throwing motion.

Howell: 30 3/4"
Corral: 30 3/4"
Pickett: 30 7/8"
Willis: 31 3/4"
Strong: 32"
Ridder: 32 3/4"

By contrast, Mahomes and Allen are 33 1/4". Pickett's a damn T-Rex.

This QB class isn't very good. Yes they have short arms too.

WindyCitySteel
05-05-2022, 07:46 PM
Listen to what Pelissero says about how big his hand is while holding a football. That should put this to bed. It's all about the inaccurate measurement because of wonky thumb not laying flat.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/kenny-pickett-s-hand-measures-at-8-5-inches

BURGH86STEEL
05-05-2022, 09:13 PM
Thumb size/length is probably the most important digit when it comes to gripping a football or basketball. So the size/length of the thumb is the key.

WindyCitySteel
05-05-2022, 09:18 PM
Thumb size/length is probably the most important digit when it comes to gripping a football or basketball. So the size/length of the thumb is the key.

Not only that, if you read the article linked in the OP, you'll learn that the pinky is virtually useless in this regard. Mahomes practices throws with his pinky off the ball.

I plugged in Pickett's pro day tape - 2nd or 3rd throw he effortlessly drops a 62-yard bomb into the bucket. His physically limitations are blown way out of proportion, almost to the point where I'm starting to think the Steelers have been the ones spreading the misinformation :D

feltdizz
05-06-2022, 01:34 PM
Not only that, if you read the article linked in the OP, you'll learn that the pinky is virtually useless in this regard. Mahomes practices throws with his pinky off the ball.

I plugged in Pickett's pro day tape - 2nd or 3rd throw he effortlessly drops a 62-yard bomb into the bucket. His physically limitations are blown way out of proportion, almost to the point where I'm starting to think the Steelers have been the ones spreading the misinformation :D

I think some people don’t want to believe we found our next QB so quickly.

and not saying Pickett can’t fail but I understand why some are so negative. It can’t be this easy to find the next Steeler QB.. lol. Where is the 25 years of pain and frustration?

Oviedo
05-06-2022, 03:14 PM

I think the biggest concern for Pickett that I have heard is ball security. Guys in the NFL specialize in ripping the ball loose. I prefer Trubisky for the next year or two but I do think Pickett can be a solid, not star, NFL starter.

whisper
05-06-2022, 06:01 PM

and not saying Pickett can’t fail but I understand why some are so negative. It can’t be this easy to find the next Steeler QB.. lol. Where is the 25 years of pain and frustration?

If you were alive in the 80's, you would have thought Mark Malone was our next star QB as well. And Cliff Stoudt. Malone was a first round pick. Speaking of, where did he go? He used to be a fairly prominent talking head on ESPN. I guess he's here?

https://wbcb1490.com/under-center-with-mark-malone/

whisper
05-06-2022, 06:06 PM
I think the biggest concern for Pickett that I have heard is ball security. Guys in the NFL specialize in ripping the ball loose. I prefer Trubisky for the next year or two but I do think Pickett can be a solid, not star, NFL starter.

He put the ball on the turf 27 times while at PITT. That's a lot. Things that make you go hmmmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pN0gPWc3xs

WindyCitySteel
05-06-2022, 06:22 PM
He put the ball on the turf 27 times while at PITT. That's a lot. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Ridder fumbled 27 times in 4 seasons. Howell 19 in 3 seasons. Corral 14 in 2.5 seasons.

NJ-STEELER
05-07-2022, 06:20 AM

Rooney told him to go to the combine like Verbal in usual suspects

And he walked up to the podium on draft day like keyser soze

Northern_Blitz
05-07-2022, 07:42 AM

I don't think people are really being all that negative.

They (we?) just aren't being all that positive either.

Most QBs fail.

Hopefully Pickett isn't in that group.

BURGH86STEEL
05-07-2022, 10:02 AM
I don't think people are really being all that negative.

They (we?) just aren't being all that positive either.

Most QBs fail.

Hopefully Pickett isn't in that group.
It's better to be optimistic regarding rookies. Never know when the light will go on for any player.

feltdizz
05-07-2022, 10:48 AM
If you were alive in the 80's, you would have thought Mark Malone was our next star QB as well. And Cliff Stoudt. Malone was a first round pick. Speaking of, where did he go? He used to be a fairly prominent talking head on ESPN. I guess he's here?

dude I’m 48 and was born and raised in Pittsburgh.

I’m sure I watched more games than most on here the 80’s because there was no Sunday Ticket back then.

but I didn’t watch Malone in college but I always expected our players to play well back then.

If we drafted a Penn State or Pitt QB back then I would definitely have high expectations because I mostly watched local college teams back then.

NorthCoast
05-07-2022, 10:48 AM
"I do think [hand size] is something you have to consider. They are small … however, when I shook it, it wasn't like, 'whoa, you have a baby hand.' It was strong. You could feel like his thumb felt a little wonky."

—An unnamed quarterback coach mentioned that his handshake with Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Kenny Pickett slightly changed his stance on how he views the rookie's small hand size. (The Athletic)____________

feltdizz
05-07-2022, 11:02 AM
Ridder fumbled 27 times in 4 seasons. Howell 19 in 3 seasons. Corral 14 in 2.5 seasons.

and Willis also had a high fumble rate if i remember correctly. I posted a stat the first time this was brought up that eased my concerns.

However, strip sacks will happen. If he holds the ball too long and it happens I will hold him accountable for those.

feltdizz
05-07-2022, 11:03 AM

remember Burrow joked about his tiny hands before the draft.

whisper
05-07-2022, 11:11 AM
dude I’m 48 and was born and raised in Pittsburgh.

I’m sure I watched more games than most on here the 80’s because there was no Sunday Ticket back then.

but I didn’t watch Malone in college but I always expected our players to play well back then.

If we drafted a Penn State or Pitt QB back then I would definitely have high expectations because I mostly watched local college teams back then.

Were you old enough to remember Marino?

WindyCitySteel
05-07-2022, 11:22 AM
its an overblown topic

remember Burrow joked about his tiny hands before the draft.

It's taken on a life of it's own and it's so meaningless. This would be a much more meaningful test:

https://bmcmusculoskeletdisord.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12891-015-0612-4

I've shaken hands with small vice grip mitts and conversely with large, flimsy hands.

If you must measure hand size, at least have them grip a football at the same spot and measure the span around the football. Pickett's reportedly would be closer to 9.5" if that was the measure.

NorthCoast
05-07-2022, 12:47 PM
It's taken on a life of it's own and it's so meaningless. This would be a much more meaningful test:

https://bmcmusculoskeletdisord.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12891-015-0612-4

I've shaken hands with small vice grip mitts and conversely with large, flimsy hands.

If you must measure hand size, at least have them grip a football at the same spot and measure the span around the football. Pickett's reportedly would be closer to 9.5" if that was the measure.They have technology to do better than that. They can measure pressure of contact by every finger as they grip the football (used it in an application on a project a while back).

https://www.tekscan.com/products-solutions/systems/grip-system

feltdizz
05-07-2022, 05:30 PM

do the math dude.. lol.

Ernie
05-07-2022, 06:28 PM

I think injuries sort of derailed Malone's career. He was a heck of an athlete.. playing some WR as well.. allot of folks may not realize he held the record for longest TD reception for many, many years..

WindyCitySteel
07-19-2022, 06:29 PM
Mic drop. I've never seen this video before, but it is video explanation for the small hand size measurement. Look at how his wonky thumb won't let him flatten his hand out for an accurate measurement, but then how far it wraps around the curve of the football when it flexes the other way.

https://twitter.com/josephperson/status/1505962212401242119?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1505962212401242119%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.golfdig est.com%2Fstory%2Fkenny-pickett-handsize-pitt-pro-day-carolina-panthers-nfl

feltdizz
07-19-2022, 07:25 PM
That is a weird azz thumb.. lol.

Joel Buchsbaum
07-19-2022, 07:25 PM

Marino had a lighting fast release and because of it was sacked very little! Less than 20 times a year in his prime years! That's it. A fast release matters more than hand size, but hand size does matter in terms of ball handling and holding on to the football when hit. I question Pickens there and he doesn't have a Marino like release. He got rid of the football 3rd slowest in the FBS. That won't work well on our team.

I was for Lloyd in round one and would have taken QB Matt Corral in round three. And by going with Lloyd in round one we don't give millions to Miles Jack. We'll see.

Captain Lemming
07-20-2022, 12:02 AM
That is a weird azz thumb.. lol.

Don't tell me about his small hands.

What I see is the only QB in league history who can throw using THE BACK of his hand. :)