PDA

View Full Version : Tuitt

JIMBO
04-02-2022, 12:24 PM
April first has come and gone and still no definitive word on his status. I am over this guy! Obviously his head is not yet in the game and he most certainly is not in football shape. I understand he has had a very traumatic experience, but if anyone thinks he will be able to just turn it on again they are mistaken. It will take him at least six months if ever to rediscover his game and by then the season will have been decided and we have spent another s**tload of money on him. Draft his replacement and move on.

Dwinsgames
04-02-2022, 12:51 PM
no.............

he was at the facility last week I had read .......... he has expressed to Colbert and Heyward his desire to play in 2022 ...... you do not just give up on a guy with such talent , there are maybe 10 guys on planet earth that can play as well as him at his specific position ( 10 is being very generous its likely less than 5 ) a Tuitt at 90% is better than most of the league ...

you keep in contact and encourage his return and commitment to the team and the game , you do not walk away from it ....

now if he doesnt show by training camp it might be a different conversation but at this point in time we have the luxury of time

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/allsteelers-plus/stephon-tuitt-back-pittsburgh-steelers-building

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-02-2022, 01:06 PM
Disagree with the rationale, just because he is staying out of the public eye and has not tweeted and instagrammed to tell us he is returning does not mean he is not getting ready. He has had plenty of time to process what has happened and rehab from his injury. Those who are close are the only ones who know anything right now. You can't judge his preparedness by tweet volume.

WindyCitySteel
04-02-2022, 04:03 PM
Does he have any roster bonuses coming up? That will tell the tale. If they pay them, he's coming back.

Ernie
04-02-2022, 05:32 PM
Tuitt is a beast. Instant game changer for this D.

Northern_Blitz
04-02-2022, 06:08 PM
no.............

he was at the facility last week I had read .......... he has expressed to Colbert and Heyward his desire to play in 2022 ...... you do not just give up on a guy with such talent , there are maybe 10 guys on planet earth that can play as well as him at his specific position ( 10 is being very generous its likely less than 5 ) a Tuitt at 90% is better than most of the league ...

you keep in contact and encourage his return and commitment to the team and the game , you do not walk away from it ....

now if he doesnt show by training camp it might be a different conversation but at this point in time we have the luxury of time

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/allsteelers-plus/stephon-tuitt-back-pittsburgh-steelers-building

I've heard DK say he was "working out" at the facility too. Not just there.

Who knows what that means exactly. But better than moved out of the city.

Sager
04-02-2022, 06:09 PM
Even if Tuitt comes back and is not the same/retires, I feel we are still in a good situation at DE/DT having Wormley as a back-up plan again this year, to not need to draft a replacement. I thought Wormley played very well to cover last year; was dominant in that first BAL game. Probably earns himself a starting role/pay in FA 2023 if he repeats that this year.

Dwinsgames
04-02-2022, 07:15 PM
I've heard DK say he was "working out" at the facility too. Not just there.

Who knows what that means exactly. But better than moved out of the city.

even better news

Starlifter
04-02-2022, 11:55 PM
hope he comes back, hope he has a strong year and i hope he is able to stay healthy for the entire season.

unfortunately the odds of all three of those things happening are depressingly low. So the Steelers need to be prepared for another season without Tuitt.

Ernie
04-03-2022, 04:42 AM
hope he comes back, hope he has a strong year and i hope he is able to stay healthy for the entire season.

unfortunately the odds of all three of those things happening are depressingly low. So the Steelers need to be prepared for another season without Tuitt.

If he comes back the other two are certainly doable.. especially with the emergence of Wormley and Loudermilk. No reason for him to get all of the workload early.

NorthCoast
04-03-2022, 08:36 AM
Seems the Steelers dealt with a similar case last season.
Rumors were flying about Dotson not working out. He disputed it. But it ended up true.
Dotson was very disappointing last season after flashing his rookie season.

whisper
04-03-2022, 06:46 PM
In the last 3 years, he's averaged 7 games a season, and he's a year older coming off a serious injury. I find it unlikely he will be available for the majority of the season, if at all.

whisper
04-03-2022, 06:50 PM
Rumors were flying about Dotson not working out. He disputed it. But it ended up true.

Yea, VERY disappointing, to say the least.

WindyCitySteel
04-04-2022, 07:34 AM
Yea, VERY disappointing, to say the least.

He ranked a good bit higher than Moore on PFF, but everyone considered Moore a success and Dotson a disappointment. Expectations, I guess.

Dotson seems like one of those Tomlin doghouse guys. Probably the only guy in the room who didn't want to draft him.

Northern_Blitz
04-04-2022, 07:46 AM

Hopefully this is a different situation since the rumors about Tuitt working out are him working out in the Steelers facility.

IIRC for Dotson, he was training off site with a well-known OL coach?

NorthCoast
04-04-2022, 07:51 AM
He ranked a good bit higher than Moore on PFF, but everyone considered Moore a success and Dotson a disappointment. Expectations, I guess.

Dotson seems like one of those Tomlin doghouse guys. Probably the only guy in the room who didn't want to draft him.A second year player should be better than a rookie.

And of course we know that Tomlin's doghouse can be a tough place to exit from. Hope Dotson takes it as a learning point to come to camp in better shape. When a rookie has early success sometimes it's works against them putting in further effort. Claypool would be another example.

Back to Tuitt; I still say the Steelers need a solid Plan B and C this season. Tuitt's injury history, Alualu with age and injury don't inspire a ton of confidence in a strong return to form.

Northern_Blitz
04-04-2022, 09:02 AM
A second year player should be better than a rookie.

And of course we know that Tomlin's doghouse can be a tough place to exit from. Hope Dotson takes it as a learning point to come to camp in better shape. When a rookie has early success sometimes it's works against them putting in further effort. Claypool would be another example.

Back to Tuitt; I still say the Steelers need a solid Plan B and C this season. Tuitt's injury history, Alualu with age and injury don't inspire a ton of confidence in a strong return to form.

I wonder if part of the reason that guys like Dotson and Claypool felt disappointing in year 2 is that they both had pretty good rookie years.

Maybe being pressed into service kind of forced them to make that jump we often see in 2nd year players early?

If so, maybe expecting a similar jump again in year 2 isn't reasonable?

Either way, hope they can improve this season.

I agree on Tuitt. I think it's great if he can come in and play like he did 2 years ago. But he might not be able to play at all. And even if he does, he might not be at that level after a year out of the game. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

NorthCoast
05-08-2022, 08:10 AM
no.............

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/allsteelers-plus/stephon-tuitt-back-pittsburgh-steelers-buildingWhat part of this makes you feel like his return is imminent or even likely?

https://i.redd.it/vpgndfmbn5y81.jpg

Ernie
05-08-2022, 09:35 AM
I seriously doubt hes "Still recovering" from the knee injury. This doesn't exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy (in terms of his return)

At this point I'm just wondering when the next "Deadline" is so to speak.. and if hes trying to screw the steelers out of another payday...

WindyCitySteel
05-08-2022, 11:08 AM
I seriously doubt hes "Still recovering" from the knee injury. This doesn't exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy (in terms of his return)

At this point I'm just wondering when the next "Deadline" is so to speak.. and if hes trying to screw the steelers out of another payday...

Yep, that was the same status in September.

whisper
05-08-2022, 11:42 AM

I can't help but thinking the same thing: screwing the Steelers out of another payday. I am suspicious of all this unspecific hoobie jubie haze response from Tomlin and Colbert. If more workout/practices come and go, and we're still hearing this unspecified "he's still getting over his knee and family matters" then it's time to cut bait and save salary and move on. He's scheduled to make $9 mill with a $14 mill cap hit. That's too high for a player who doesn't know if he wants to play or not. Oh wait, he sounds pretty good, OK.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/stephon-tuitt-14455/

SteelerOfDeVille
05-08-2022, 07:31 PM
I can't help but thinking the same thing: screwing the Steelers out of another payday. I am suspicious of all this unspecific hoobie jubie haze response from Tomlin and Colbert. If more workout/practices come and go, and we're still hearing this unspecified "he's still getting over his knee and family matters" then it's time to cut bait and save salary and move on. He's scheduled to make $9 mill with a $14 mill cap hit. That's too high for a player who doesn't know if he wants to play or not. Oh wait, he sounds pretty good, OK.

Sounds to me like an extension is in order. Low signing bonus, this year's salary remains the same... future years are incentive based.

BURGH86STEEL
05-08-2022, 08:35 PM

You are suspicious of "anything". I don't know of any millionaires or billionaires that are "found" or simply accept losing money on players. The Steelers ownership is a bit different to an extent. I don't understand why you are surprised after paying attention to the Steelers organization over the years? They give their players a chance within reason. At some point, business becomes business. The organization is generally fair with all their players. Maybe it's a Pittsburgh small city thing? IDK?

For example, the Steelers ownership gave Ben, Shazier, and Tuitt the "respect" they deserved based on various circumstances.

Ben for his Steelers contributions over the years. Shazier and the injury he suffered. Tuitt based on "only the people in the organization know" (injury/mental status to play football?). The Tuitt situation cost the OWNERSHIP millions of dollars for nothing in return for one season. Respect the OWNERSHIP for their stance on the "family/mental" aspect of LIFE.

At the end of the day it's not any fan's decision to make regarding X Y or Z player. We simply have to trust the people that are directly responsible for the direction of the team.

feltdizz
05-09-2022, 08:59 AM

We
should find put sooner than later about Tuitt. Maybe the DL selection was insurance or maybe it means Tuitt isn’t coming back.

Personally, I think we should approach it like Tuitt is gone and if he cones back its a bonus.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-09-2022, 11:11 AM
I'm not suspicious of Tuitt. His cap hit doesn't change whether he is cut before training camp or just prior to the season. I think that the team knows much more than they are saying, and they know that what they are saying is meaningless. As much as fans like to be kept in the loop, it makes no sense to do so. So, whether he is back or not, both player and team have likely discussed it and fans will only know when an announcement is made.

Joel Buchsbaum
05-09-2022, 12:58 PM

He's not talking. I wish I can read " I can't wait to come back. I've rehabbed hard. " But I suspect something is up and he just want a pay day.

whisper
05-09-2022, 01:54 PM
You are suspicious of "anything". I don't know of any millionaires or billionaires that are "found" or simply accept losing money on players. The Steelers ownership is a bit different to an extent. I don't understand why you are surprised after paying attention to the Steelers organization over the years? They give their players a chance within reason. At some point, business becomes business. The organization is generally fair with all their players. Maybe it's a Pittsburgh small city thing? IDK?

For example, the Steelers ownership gave Ben, Shazier, and Tuitt the "respect" they deserved based on various circumstances.

Ben for his Steelers contributions over the years. Shazier and the injury he suffered. Tuitt based on "only the people in the organization know" (injury/mental status to play football?). The Tuitt situation cost the OWNERSHIP millions of dollars for nothing in return for one season. Respect the OWNERSHIP for their stance on the "family/mental" aspect of LIFE.

At the end of the day it's not any fan's decision to make regarding X Y or Z player. We simply have to trust the people that are directly responsible for the direction of the team.

First of all, let's not go around canonizing the Rooneys for bringing back Ben: They did so because he offered them the best option to compete (which was not great, but still the best option they had) AND they did so after giving Ben a major haircut in his salary. So let's hold off on the canonization of Art II for doing so.

Secondly, it is the fans' business over who they pay what on the team, as that has a direct impact on the competitiveness of the team, and if that's not the fans' business than nothing is. Any moves that make the team more or less competitive are the fans' business. Without fans, there would be no team, no salaries, no billions of $s or value of the team. Nothing. So don't tell me such a critical area of who gets paid what is "not the fans' business." If the fans became so apathetic that they didn't care who go paid what, they wouldn't follow the team, wouldn't go to games, wouldn't buy merchandise and wouldn't watch them play on TV. Tell me what the worth of a team would be if the above happened?

Will the team decide to keep paying Tuitt for another year because "his heart isn't into it?" I doubt it. If Tuitt wants his $9 million he's gonna have to strap on his pads. If not, we could use that $9 to improve the team, signing another DLman. There are still some decent DLmen on the free market.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defensive-end/all/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defensive-tackle/all/

whisper
05-10-2022, 01:43 PM
First of all, let's not go around canonizing the Rooneys for bringing back Ben: They did so because he offered them the best option to compete (which was not great, but still the best option they had) AND they did so after giving Ben a major haircut in his salary. So let's hold off on the canonization of Art II for doing so.

Secondly, it is the fans' business over who they pay what on the team, as that has a direct impact on the competitiveness of the team, and if that's not the fans' business than nothing is. Any moves that make the team more or less competitive are the fans' business. Without fans, there would be no team, no salaries, no billions of $s or value of the team. Nothing. So don't tell me such a critical area of who gets paid what is "not the fans' business." If the fans became so apathetic that they didn't care who go paid what, they wouldn't follow the team, wouldn't go to games, wouldn't buy merchandise and wouldn't watch them play on TV. Tell me what the worth of a team would be if the above happened?

Will the team decide to keep paying Tuitt for another year because "his heart isn't into it?" I doubt it. If Tuitt wants his $9 million he's gonna have to strap on his pads. If not, we could use that $9 to improve the team, signing another DLman. There are still some decent DLmen on the free market.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/05/colbert-says-steelers-are-anxious-to-see-what-kind-of-player-tuitt-is-upon-return/

About as non-specific as you get.

feltdizz
05-10-2022, 02:27 PM

TV revenue is responsible for most of the leagues money.

For every fan like you who thinks the Steelers FO owes you something there are 2 more who don’t give a damn and just want to watch the games.

whisper
05-10-2022, 04:35 PM
TV revenue is responsible for most of the leagues money.

For every fan like you who thinks the Steelers FO owes you something there are 2 more who don’t give a damn and just want to watch the games.

What if the 2 others no longer want to watch the games? Uh oh.

whatever
05-12-2022, 03:20 PM
Just gonna try to steal another years paycheck…

NorthCoast
05-12-2022, 03:46 PM
I'm not suspicious of Tuitt. His cap hit doesn't change whether he is cut before training camp or just prior to the season. I think that the team knows much more than they are saying, and they know that what they are saying is meaningless. As much as fans like to be kept in the loop, it makes no sense to do so. So, whether he is back or not, both player and team have likely discussed it and fans will only know when an announcement is made.Just maybe we won't hear a peep until the Steelers make a bonanza signing to replace him? After all, if teams knew the Steelers were going to cut him, they might view the Steelers DL as a bit in desparation and up the asking price for either a FA or trade.