PDA

View Full Version : Who have we added that you want on a championship team?

Joel Buchsbaum
04-01-2022, 07:51 PM
I can only say a free agnet guard and a linebacker. The rest of the players are roster guys. In free agency I'd rather go big. We did not. It will move the needle a little. One thing that needs to be discussed as we were very lucky on turnovers last year. This year we are bound to throw more interceptions and fumble more.

SidSmythe
04-01-2022, 09:46 PM
Levi Wallace adds a lot of flexibility especially with how they use Sutton.

Buzz
04-02-2022, 12:09 AM
I don't think we're done adding FAs yet

WindyCitySteel
04-02-2022, 04:40 AM
I rank the FA signings in this order in terms of my excitement for them:

Daniels, Wallace, Jack, Cole, Spoon, Mitch, Adams, Killebrew, Gunner

Ernie
04-02-2022, 05:06 AM
I like what weve done overall. In terms of a "Superbowl run"... this is a multiyear process. The guys we have added are young and are able to contribute to that. I'm not willing to write any of them off. Let's see what happens in the draft and the rest of FA.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-02-2022, 03:20 PM
I like what weve done overall. In terms of a "Superbowl run"... this is a multiyear process. The guys we have added are young and are able to contribute to that. I'm not willing to write any of them off. Let's see what happens in the draft and the rest of FA.

Most of the players we have added are not " one or two " players away from a Super Bowl. I'd rather spend big bucks in free agency than the left over " guys " that we signed. We need to make every draft choice count. I do not project the playoffs next year.

Northern_Blitz
04-02-2022, 03:33 PM
Most of the players we have added are not " one or two " players away from a Super Bowl. I'd rather spend big bucks in free agency than the left over " guys " that we signed. We need to make every draft choice count. I do not project the playoffs next year.

The problem is that in UFA, when you spend big bucks on outside guys you usually end up losing the bet.

Ask Dan Snyder.

If this is what your want the team to do in the offseason and you're a Steelers fan, it's probably best not to follow the off-season too closely.

We basically don't make stupid over payments on outside guys. And that's a good thing IMO.

I do like being able to add middle tier guys though (maybe Daniels is more than that). But you need to draft will of you want to be more than a flash in the pan. And the Steelers do.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-02-2022, 03:49 PM
The problem is that in UFA, when you spend big bucks on outside guys you usually end up losing the bet.

Ask Dan Snyder.

If this is what your want the team to do in the offseason and you're a Steelers fan, it's probably best not to follow the off-season too closely.

We basically don't make stupid over payments on outside guys. And that's a good thing IMO.

I do like being able to add middle tier guys though (maybe Daniels is more than that). But you need to draft will of you want to be more than a flash in the pan. And the Steelers do.

I'm for free agents who can play and proven it at as starters. The only good player we have is a Bears guard and he's rated about the 20-25 best in the NFL. Who were we bidding for in Trubisky? Why spend soo much money on a sup par right tackle? ( Chucks ) Again what were his offers? He had too many flags last year, ane zero push in the running game . Its not that hard to block for Ben who let the ball go in about 2-3 seconds. The Jax LB? He's okay when healthy. Steelers free agency 2022, a waste. I'd rather have 2 top notch players, wouldn't you?

Ernie
04-02-2022, 05:38 PM

Our big "Splash" signing was retaining TJ Watt.. if Tuitt comes back... you have TJ, Heyward, Tuitt, Highsmith, Bush, Jack..
Could easily be one of the better front 7s in the league... with a very young, talented back end.
If we hit on 3 or 4 draft picks we will be in the mix in the AFC

whisper
04-02-2022, 06:52 PM

Ask Dan Snyder.

Just ask the Rams, errrrrr, I mean the Bucs, errrrr, never mind.

Ernie
04-03-2022, 04:39 AM

For every time a "Splash move" such as that works out... you have 5 or 6 that do not..

Northern_Blitz
04-03-2022, 05:42 AM

The Steelers are trying to be consistently competitive.

I don't think either of these teams will fit that bill.

As you say, we will see.

But if you will only be happy with an offseason that had multiple high value external UFA signings...well, I don't think you'll ever be happy with an offseason as a Steelers fan.

Edited to add:

Per Spotrack, here are the list of UFAs associated with the Rams from 2021

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2021/all/los-angeles-rams//

Notice that this is players they lost too.

Which one of their offseason UFA signings put them over the top last year?

And which one was someone they added who you'd "want on a championship team"?

Mr.wizard
04-03-2022, 08:27 AM
"Who have we added that you want on a championship team?"

I want every guy we add to be part of a Steelers championship team.

WindyCitySteel
04-03-2022, 08:33 AM
The Steelers are trying to be consistently competitive.

Steelers are satisfied with 8-9 wins and a playoff berth. Other teams are actively trying to win a Super Bowl. They may bust out soonafter, but the Steelers have no shot at a title during the same time span. And after busting out they clear cap, draft a QB high, and start over while the Steelers muddle along.

Northern_Blitz
04-03-2022, 09:03 AM
Steelers are satisfied with 8-9 wins and a playoff berth. Other teams are actively trying to win a Super Bowl. They may bust out soonafter, but the Steelers have no shot at a title during the same time span. And after busting out they clear cap, draft a QB high, and start over while the Steelers muddle along.

Any support for your argument?

Maybe last year this was sort of true.

But clearly not the case for most of the last decade and a half.

Eventually, teams need to rebuild.

Northern_Blitz
04-03-2022, 09:06 AM
"Who have we added that you want on a championship team?"

I want every guy we add to be part of a Steelers championship team.

This is clearly the correct answer :p :tt2

flippy
04-03-2022, 09:45 AM

I’ve heard Tomlin say our goal every year is to win a championship.

I’ve heard players say it too.

Just cause we don’t win it doesn’t mean that wasn’t our goal.

Mr.wizard
04-03-2022, 09:58 AM

This is just you projecting, just because they havent taken the route that you think they should doesnt mean the arent trying to win a championship.

Terrapin
04-03-2022, 10:18 AM
Any support for your argument?

Maybe last year this was sort of true.

But clearly not the case for most of the last decade and a half.

Eventually, teams need to rebuild.

Again, how exactly are we rebuilding? Have we acquired a bunch of draft picks? Have we brought in any impact players? No, we brought in a bunch of reclamation projects in hopes that one or two will be serviceable.

WindyCitySteel
04-03-2022, 11:23 AM
Again, how exactly are we rebuilding? Have we acquired a bunch of draft picks? Have we brought in any impact players? No, we brought in a bunch of reclamation projects in hopes that one or two will be serviceable.

Exactly, they did enough to win 9-ish games but no more. Could have signed the guys the Bengals signed, but settled for average and comfortable.

If they were rebuilding, Cam would be gone, TJ and Minkah would be traded for picks, and coaches would be replaced. They're going to tell everyone they're competing for a SB and 99% of the fan base will believe it.

WindyCitySteel
04-03-2022, 11:33 AM
Started in a different thread, let's round it out with all of the Steeler external signings. Here are last year's PFF grades of the guys signed vs. the guys they replaced. How much did this team improve?

Daniels 71.0, Turner 69.4
Cole 69.7, Green 52.4
Jack 37.7 Schobert 52.2
Wallace 65.2 Haden 63.4
Trubisky 62.0 (2020) Roethlisberger 55.8

JuJu and Edmunds gone, hopefully Tuitt and Alualu back.

Looks like they're treading 9-8 water.

Dwinsgames
04-03-2022, 12:23 PM
I rank the FA signings in this order in terms of my excitement for them:

Daniels, Wallace, Jack, Cole, Spoon, Mitch, Adams, Killebrew, Gunner

Daniels, ( Wallace, Jack is a pickem for me ) Spoon , Mitch , Gunner ( special teams is HUGE we haven't had a good returner since AB left and he was a part timer there and I think Gunner can add some excitement in the slot
) Killebrew , another pickem with Adams and Cole .... Adams looked good for a min but faded fast still young so still has a chance , Cole may be an upgrade but its so close to a lateral move IMO he gets pushed around too and looks like he is on roller skates at times ( see Green ) we now have like 4 guys who are " Center /Guards" and thats cool for backups at Center but I want a full fledged Center as my starter

Northern_Blitz
04-03-2022, 01:07 PM

We lost a HoF QB and are starting a journeyman who failed and was given up on by the team that drafted him.

Compare that to Cincy who just drafted a guy that looks like he could be elite and is still super cheap.

Not sure it takes a genius to see that we're in a very different position than they are.

If you don't know who your starting QB is this year and next year. You're probably rebuilding.

Northern_Blitz
04-03-2022, 01:08 PM
Started in a different thread, let's round it out with all of the Steeler external signings. Here are last year's PFF grades of the guys signed vs. the guys they replaced. How much did this team improve?

Cole 69.7, Green 52.4
Jack 37.7 Schobert 52.2
Wallace 65.2 Haden 63.4

Now do the Rams and their UFAs from last off season.

Northern_Blitz
04-03-2022, 01:09 PM
Exactly, they did enough to win 9-ish games but no more. Could have signed the guys the Bengals signed, but settled for average and comfortable.

If they were rebuilding, Cam would be gone, TJ and Minkah would be traded for picks, and coaches would be replaced. They're going to tell everyone they're competing for a SB and 99% of the fan base will believe it.

You don't have to salt the earth to rebuild.

WindyCitySteel
04-03-2022, 01:56 PM
Now do the Rams and their UFAs from last off season.

Or just include FA AND trades, both of which are ways to improve your roster outside of the draft.

WindyCitySteel
04-03-2022, 01:59 PM
You don't have to salt the earth to rebuild.

I think you're referring to retooling/reloading, rather than rebuilding. The Steelers don't rebuild, but they also half-heartedly retool.

Northern_Blitz
04-03-2022, 04:00 PM
I think you're referring to retooling/reloading, rather than rebuilding. The Steelers don't rebuild, but they also half-heartedly retool.

When you don't have a QB you're rebuilding IMO

Joel Buchsbaum
04-03-2022, 06:23 PM

Cole 69.7, Green 52.4
Jack 37.7 Schobert 52.2
Wallace 65.2 Haden 63.4
Trubisky 62.0 (2020) Roethlisberger 55.8.

Crap in crap out. Not that the PFF ratings mean anything but for now there the only ones doing it.

Sager
04-03-2022, 06:42 PM

Cole 69.7, Green 52.4
Jack 37.7 Schobert 52.2
Wallace 65.2 Haden 63.4

That's a good point. Tomlin and Colbert are more betting on these guy's potential than what they've shown right now. A gamble, but a calculated one. Jack is interesting, I would say playing on JAX defense last year did not do him any favors, but Schobert had the same excuse and it's not like he balled out last year. But Jack is younger and is oozing talent, just like Bush. And if I'd want anybody to bring that talent out, a Linebackers coach Brian Flores definitely fits the bill.

If we don't make a splash FA signing, I wouldn't mind using the money for quality depth with bringing back Turner and maybe Haden if he will transition to slot.

feltdizz
04-04-2022, 08:26 AM
Flores is a great addition for a championship team

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-04-2022, 02:20 PM

Cole 69.7, Green 52.4
Jack 37.7 Schobert 52.2
Wallace 65.2 Haden 63.4

So why do teams employ scouts and talent evaluators if all they have to do is check with PFF? How stupid are these teams?