PDA

View Full Version : How many game-changers do the Steelers have?

WindyCitySteel
04-01-2022, 03:41 PM
Cam, TJ, obviously. Is Minkah a game-changer?

Najee could be we all hope, but that's about it. A lot of good players, not many stars. Without a star QB, I just don't think that's going to cut it.

How does a team like this compete against the Bengals? Rams? Browns? Chargers? Chiefs? Bills?

Pick 1.20 needs to be a game-changer.

feltdizz
04-01-2022, 04:23 PM
I think Pat has the skills to be a game changer.

If Claypool can get his swag back he is a game changer. His rookie season was pretty insane.

Steel Maniac
04-01-2022, 04:37 PM
This is a transitional year ; we are not going to be in serious contention this year.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2022, 04:52 PM
for some reason Melvin Ingram is still available in free agency.

we should sign him so he can transform our defense :p

Captain Lemming
04-01-2022, 05:35 PM

I would LUV for Tomlin to call him in expressing interest in him....TODAY. :)

SS Laser
04-01-2022, 06:00 PM
I wonder if Ingram would have been resigned if he stuck it out last season in Pitt? If so he would not be on the open market again waiting. Or is he just asking for to much money now for teams to be interested before the draft. He also might not realize teams probably see him as a back up quality player now.

Buzz
04-01-2022, 06:50 PM
I would LUV for Tomlin to call him in expressing interest in him....TODAY. :)

I'm sure that then we'd see an article about Ingram (like the ones we've just seen about Mathieu) saying, "Man, it's so cool to get a phone call from Coach Tomlin" ...

Northern_Blitz
04-01-2022, 07:08 PM
TJ, Minkah, and Cam for sure.

On offense...who knows. DJ had some game changing plays last season.

But our offense was so terrible at generating explosive plays, we didn't really have any real game breakers IMO.

Or maybe a combination of the scheme, terrible OL (particularly C), and QB limitations masked any game breaking ability that the skilled guys had?

Lots to prove on offense this year. For the players and the OC.

I don't think that Najee is a game breaker in terms of huge plays. Hopefully he can be a guy that controls the game by consistently getting good chunks of yards. Maybe like a P. Holmes...who didn't have many huge plays, but got good yardage almost all the time. Bell was probably like that too.

And hopefully Highsmith can start to convert some big plays and that Bush can bounce back.

And if we can tackle with the front-7, Minkah can probably hang back and make more plays on the ball too.

Lots of "ifs".

WindyCitySteel
04-02-2022, 04:27 AM
If Tuitt comes back, he's a game-changer. Dominant player.

Ernie
04-02-2022, 05:10 AM
If Tuitt comes back, he's a game-changer. Dominant player.

Yes he is.. and completely changes the trajectory of our front 7..
With him you can potentially add Jack (and yes even Bush) to the list of game changers..

WindyCitySteel
04-02-2022, 09:20 AM
Yes he is.. and completely changes the trajectory of our front 7..
With him you can potentially add Jack (and yes even Bush) to the list of game changers..

Starting to feel like 2019 again in that case. Don't see how you don't take a QB in that case, one that is ready to step in if the starter is the only thing holding the team back.

flippy
04-02-2022, 10:46 AM
Starting to feel like 2019 again in that case. Don't see how you don't take a QB in that case, one that is ready to step in if the starter is the only thing holding the team back.

And if the Steelers feel and go that way, you might as well go add the Honey Badger.

I’d actually advocate to try and follow the Ravens model when they took Lamar. If there’s a top CB, take them #1 or and Target going up in the 2nd to get Ridder.

If not, go the safe route and just take Ridder at 20 which I think the Steelers would do if they like him.

And there’s gonna be some elite talent in the 1st half of the 2nd and I still think it makes sense going up and getting another position of need. Maybe if a Dotson drops a little in the 2nd round, he’s a guy I love.

But I’m still mixed on QB. I think I can make a case in my mind for Ridder, KP, and Willis and I still debate on my head which I’d most want to fall to us.

Maybe KP since he has the initials of Kenny Powers. Could that be a sign? Plus It would kill us all if we passed on KP and had to witness him being successful somewhere else.

WindyCitySteel
04-02-2022, 11:25 AM
YES to Honey Badger! And agree on the Ridder strategy, hope we don't go anywhere near Willis. People are projecting a handful of off-script plays into the next Allen or Mahomes and the guy hasn't remotely proven he can play ON script. He's going to get a coach and GM canned.

Dwinsgames
04-02-2022, 11:57 AM

sign him so we can then trade him prior to the deadline for a pick again lol ... problem is he wanted out and Tomlin doesn't want hostages and I do not see Ingram as a volunteer

NJ-STEELER
04-02-2022, 12:27 PM
sign him so we can then trade him prior to the deadline for a pick again lol ... problem is he wanted out and Tomlin doesn't want hostages and I do not see Ingram as a volunteer

Jwashington wanted to be traded last year. so that hostages line is just more BS out of tomlin

Northern_Blitz
04-02-2022, 01:12 PM
Jwashington wanted to be traded last year. so that hostages line is just more BS out of tomlin

My guess is that in Ingram's case it was something that was said when we were wooing them.

Guys on their 1st contracts (and RFAs) are all hostages per the CBA.

Captain Lemming
04-03-2022, 09:00 PM

You are convinced Tomlin was lying. Cool.
Please share with the class your theory about why we traded Ingram.

WindyCitySteel
04-03-2022, 09:12 PM

I don't care why, it was dumb to do. You're in a playoff race and trade a valuable rotational player. He was missed.

Captain Lemming
04-03-2022, 09:26 PM
I don't care why, it was dumb to do. You're in a playoff race and trade a valuable rotational player. He was missed.

Question was addressed to NJ. He seems to care about "the reason" since he says the reason given was a lie.

Thus my question to NJ

But I am happy to address you directly in my next post.

Captain Lemming
04-03-2022, 09:41 PM

Was it his 1 sack or 10 tackles in 8 games (one as a starter) that made him SOOO valuable?

Yes we know he was the difference in our losing to the Chiefs.

Like when Deon went from the Niners to the Cowboys acquiring such a valuable player can turned the balance of power between conference rivals. :)

Captain Lemming
04-03-2022, 09:52 PM
I would suggest that nobody wants him to make my point but he is likely pitting teams against each other in a bidding war. :)

Bawb the Revelator
04-04-2022, 12:31 AM
Cam, TJ, obviously. Is Minkah a game-changer?

Najee could be we all hope, but that's about it. A lot of good players, not many stars. Without a star QB, I just don't think that's going to cut it.

How does a team like this compete against the Bengals? Rams? Browns? Chargers? Chiefs? Bills?

Pick 1.20 needs to be a game-changer.

Assuming neither Mitch, MR or Haskins become a unanimous 2022 Pro Bowler drafting Willis. Pickett or another QB is a prohibitive long shot. Gushing over 2022's QBs probably just increased their pay days. Get Brady Zappe in the 3rd or 4th to keep your promises then use the draft and extra cap dough to finish most of the rebuild. This may make entirely too much sense but WTF :)

feltdizz
04-04-2022, 11:47 AM
YES to Honey Badger! And agree on the Ridder strategy, hope we don't go anywhere near Willis. People are projecting a handful of off-script plays into the next Allen or Mahomes and the guy hasn't remotely proven he can play ON script. He's going to get a coach and GM canned.

is this going to be a time based prediction?

feltdizz
04-04-2022, 12:00 PM

From what I remember JW expressed his displeasure at playing time after the Hall of Fame game. But Tomlin said he never made a request for a trade.

I think someone ram with that story and then another report starts with “JW never denied requesting a trade” but of course they never presented evidence or confirmed that he requested a trade.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32046517/pittsburgh-steelers-wr-james-washington-reported-trade-request-private-conversation

NorthCoast
04-05-2022, 03:15 PM
If this guy lasts until Steelers 3.84 I am running to the podium. Instant fix to the run defense;

Leo Chenal: LB, Wisconsin (6-2, 250)

It’s hard to say if Chenal will actually be a mid-round value … because it’s possible he doesn’t last that long. Still, Chenal is a freaky athlete at 250 pounds (4.53 40; 40 ½ inch vert, 34 bench reps) and his testing numbers are hard to ignore. In terms of downhill run defense, no one stacks a block like Chenal. His power, burst and fearlessness in the box see him regularly knocking 300-plus pound guards and tackles off track with one punch. When he plants himself with leverage, he may as well be a tree – you’re not moving him. In the stack, he can do a lot. But if you’re asking him to cover anything? That’s where the adventure begins and why he could slip.